Erik ten Hag | 2022/23 & 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sure. And we won a Carabao cup after beating a bunch of crap teams at home then an off form Newcastle in the final.
Season before United was knocked out of both cup competitions in the early rounds at home by "crap teams" and if Newcastle was off form in the final does that mean Man United can use the excuse for being off form a few months later against them in St James's park?

Looks like fans everywhere are starting to ask though. I feel there's something behind the scenes, probably money related.
I did question the Amrabat signing due to the intensity of the PL.
I don't know what the situation is, if we miss top 4, is that a guaranteed sacking?
It sounds ridiculous to see crunch games this early but I remember SAF was inches from it I reckon if the ref had seen Jim Leighton's push.

Nothing wrong with asking questions.
Being prepared to sack him now is ridiculous.

How many players we signed under his agency?
1. Supposedly they helped on the Amrabaat deal and also probably in the sale of the youth players to the Dutch teams - Iqbal was mentioned, but I imagine Emeran too.

So staff already leaking things to undermine ETH. The knives are out and all the incompetents are looking to save their skin, players and staff alike.

Paul Parker harps on about ETH should walk to keep his reputation in tact. It's not that outlandish to me now. Main issue would be the players he's convinced to join being left behind with these incompetents.

I'd absolutely love to know who has leaked this "staff have expressed a concern".

He's on a hiding to nothing at this poisoned club.

What's wrong with this exactly? Fergie used to do this as well. So was Woodward with Mendes until Ronaldo burnt the bridge

Trying to turn supporters against manager so incompetent people at the club can keep their job. Media around this club is so fecking rotten.

They went ahead quite early I believe.

They did, around 20 minutes in, with their first chance. Between then and their second chance (which resulted in another goal) we hit the bar, had a goal disallowed, and wasted a bunch more opportunities particularly with Rashford 1 on 1 with their CB.

What's wrong with this exactly? Fergie used to do this as well. So was Woodward with Mendes until Ronaldo burnt the bridge

Trying to turn supporters against manager so incompetent people at the club can keep their job. Media around this club is so fecking rotten.
ANd it caused problems when Fergie was doing it, especially as it was reported he encouraged some players to sign with his son. Its not a good look, especially when our track record on deals is so poor. The club should have a range of options.

After tomorrow's humiliation, he will be playing for his job against Burnley. It's a good opponent for that, since they are shit.

Maybe the solution is to hire a manager the fanbase hates, and use that as a pretext to strip the position of all its responsibilities other than coaching.

I'd stigify the manager. Keep his identity a secret, don't allow him any press appearances or interviews. Basically tell him to stfu and get on with everything in the background, and just take the fines.

Just give our fans nothing to latch on to, and do it for about a decade and we might be able to fix this weird relationship our fans have with the role.

After tomorrow's humiliation, he will be playing for his job against Burnley. It's a good opponent for that, since they are shit.
I think barring a catastrophic run of form (like losses in every match from here till the next international break), he gets until January/February. I feel that is fair for the following reasons:
1. Injuries/forced absences to so many first team players. Although I still don't think that should excuse the style of football being played but it is a plausible excuse.
2. Champions League campaign still to come. Have to see how he does in it. Could lift spirits at the club.
3. There aren't great managers available on the market right now except people want the club to take on someone like Graham Potter or Antonio Conte. I highly doubt De Zerbi leaves Brighton mid-season because Brighton look on a better trajectory than us. Brighton would have to really tail off and go on a very bad run of form for a switch mid-season to even be a remote possibility.

It's primed for them to get their first win of the season. We are that bad away from home and even worse when the pressure is on.

No he won't. Ten hags job is fine, it's not make or break vs Burnley, what a silly narrative bought naively into silly media hype.

This is just a classic case of when things are bad at United the media just start pouring in to sell copies. ETH should start banning journos.

I truly hope we dont hound him out of the club. We cant keep doing this merry go round of good managers. Especially when we have a coach of Erik's quality.

We need let him change the culture, as he put it. As Ralf Rangnick said, this club needs "open heart surgery", and not just the first team.

No he won't. Ten hags job is fine, it's not make or break vs Burnley, what a silly narrative bought naively into silly media hype.

That remains to be seen, and I wouldn't be so sure. I'd like to see him last the season at least, but he is the lamb at the end of the day. And once the heat is on...

What really concern me is (in my eyes) a clear lack of effort on the pitch. If hes already lost the dressing room and the mood around the squad has started to sour, well then its curtains. Imo its similar to what we saw at the end of Oles tenure and pretty much all of Ralf's. Tactics and coaching means feck all if the players are not 100% motivated.

That being said. If we have a persistent problem with a toxic culture in the dressing room, then that culture and the players behind it needs to be removed, because any coach will fail under those circumstances.

Maybe the club just happned to hire clueless charlatans as coaches, but i think there is more to it than that

No - correct. That account has been dining out on a piece of information they got about a sleeve sponsorship deal five years ago. Every other bit of info they've received has not come to fruition unless they've jumped on the bandwagon of another journalist.

Why would a guy who lives in America who does youtube videos in his bedroom have inside info on United. It doesn't add up.

That remains to be seen, and I wouldn't be so sure. I'd like to see him last the season at least, but he is the lamb at the end of the day. And once the heat is on...
The heat isn't on though. It's just media clickbait right now and people with half a brain cell are believing it this early.

I'm not saying he's unsackable but it's 5 fecking games in the season and he has an injury crisis. The club isn't going to see Burnley as make or break, as much as the media would love to drive that narrative for low IQ folk to believe

This club and the people who work for it care more about their public image than our success. It's been like that since Woodward and it seems Arnold and Murtough are exactly the same and just as incompetent.

This is just a classic case of when things are bad at United the media just start pouring in to sell copies. ETH should start banning journos.

Yeah losing to Arsenal and Spurs away and Brighton at home, 3 tough games, where in some parts of the match United were on top and on another day the results could of been different.

But the amount of coverage online and in the press just shows you how big the club is, I would like to think inside the club the manager and DOF are having a laugh at the so called journalist trying to tear the club down yet again.

Same old Leakchester Utd someone always passing the buck to come across competent to the fans. What a load of sh nonsense.

Sacking the manager is rarely the answer, unless it is some final attempt to avoid relegation (Fat Sam, Warnock, Hodgson, Dyche)

For years City would sack managers with comical regularity, and still remain shit. Things changed for them with a takeover, an overhaul, and financial cheating.

Chelsea have had 11 managers in the past 10 years, without continued success. They poached Potter and his staff from Brighton and still failed, meanwhile well-run Brighton continue to be a success story.

Everton have had 12 managers since Moyes and seem to have been avoiding relegation ever since. Spurs have had 12 managers since they last won anything (Ramos, 2007)

My point? Our anger should not be directed at the manager, but at everything else - the Glazers, recruitment and wages, the inability to get rid of toxic players, the Media (incl. Social Media) etc.

Glazers Out - support ten Hag.

So staff already leaking things to undermine ETH. The knives are out and all the incompetents are looking to save their skin, players and staff alike.

Paul Parker harps on about ETH should walk to keep his reputation in tact. It's not that outlandish to me now. Main issue would be the players he's convinced to join being left behind with these incompetents.

I'd absolutely love to know who has leaked this "staff have expressed a concern".

He's on a hiding to nothing at this poisoned club.

Again, posting via X/Twitter feeds. 'Someone said they heard that someone told them that someone was seen talking to someone, who told them that they saw something...'

All the best with that.

For me what's worrying is the players don't seem to have that edge or grit to want to battle. This along with the fact we lost our goal scoring touch and have about 20 injuries i can see us struggling to pick up points.

I think people are completely overlooking how big of a negative impact the takeover talk is having over the club. Just think of your own job, it’s inevitable that the focus and effort level, as well as the mood in the workplace would fluctuate or even plummet with mooted change of ownership. Despite how much they earn and how professional they are supposed to be, players are human at the end of day and they will be consciously or subconsciously affected by all the chatters and uncertainty surrounding the club, and I dare say that it’s quite impossible for any coach to get 100% of the response he wants in those circumstances.

We’ve been dealt a rotten hand this season by the club’s ownership and all the unfortunate off the field issues. This is a time to weather the storm and be patient. Look at Newcastle in the immediate pre and post takeover, basically the same group of players but they went from relegation fodder to solid mid table in a few months, and while Eddie Howe is a good manager, he wasn’t solely responsible for all that.

Think Hojlund signed with that agency and then joined us too. They'll have made a killing on that one.
They did, but if that facilitated the signing of a good player, don't see the issue. Jury is out I guess, but so far, I like what I've seen.

I think people are completely overlooking how big of a negative impact the takeover talk is having over the club.
We didn’t lose this game because of takeover talks, we didn’t go down 0-2 to Forest in the first few minutes because of that, our inconsistent play since March or so is not because of these talks. These are just excuses.

Imagine there is a talk about takeover for the next couple of years. So, should these players continue to lose? I had changes in my management, but never anything like this. The President of our university quit after 30 years or so, then the Provost stepped down after a decade. Well, we all continued to do our jobs.

We didn’t lose this game because of takeover talks, we didn’t go down 0-2 to Forest in the first few minutes because of that, our inconsistent play since March or so is not because of these talks. These are just excuses.

Imagine there is a talk about takeover for the next couple of years. So, should these players continue to lose? I had changes in my management, but never anything like this. The President of our university quit after 30 years or so, then the Provost stepped down after a decade. Well, we all continued to do our jobs.

That's an incredibly reductive way of looking at it. We lost this game because both the squad composition and mindset of the players is not right. Both these things are affected by the uncertainty of the ownership. The former because no-one at senior level knowing what the financial situation will be over the next 5 years means that decisions have to be made moment to moment in a piecemeal fashion rather than with a long term view.

And the latter because these players know that half the senior management team might not even be there in 6 months time, making it hard to know what their future will be either. Bear in mind this is an insanely competitive world, which I suspect is unlike your (or my) workplace. For me, I could easily get by just putting in 80% effort for a few months and no-one could really tell. But in football even if you're giving less than maximum effort in training and recovery, it shows up in games.

The takeover is not the only factor, that's for sure. But uncertainty in any organisation is disruptive, and in a field where such fine margins make a tangible difference on the pitch, it certainly is detrimental.

I dare say the pressure and scrutiny that come with your job isn’t exactly comparable with being a Utd player. And they aren’t excuses, look at us when Fergie announced his retirement the first time before reversing it, the drop and subsequent uplift in form are well documented.

Add on top of that the small inconvenience of half the squad on the treatment table then it’s not a surprise that it’s pretty hard to be a good football team right now. I’m by no means saying that we will suddenly become the best team in Europe once we sort these issues out, imo our ceiling atm is still top 4 and a good cup run here and there, but we know these players, inconsistent and flakey as they are, are capable of better and the current situation surrounding the club doesn’t help them showcasing that. If you are up thinking at night about how you might not be here after the next window for the past few months, your preparation, mindset and effort level will not be, to put it delicately, optimal.

I think people are completely overlooking how big of a negative impact the takeover talk is having over the club. Just think of your own job, it’s inevitable that the focus and effort level, as well as the mood in the workplace would fluctuate or even plummet with mooted change of ownership. Despite how much they earn and how professional they are supposed to be, players are human at the end of day and they will be consciously or subconsciously affected by all the chatters and uncertainty surrounding the club, and I dare say that it’s quite impossible for any coach to get 100% of the response he wants in those circumstances.

We’ve been dealt a rotten hand this season by the club’s ownership and all the unfortunate off the field issues. This is a time to weather the storm and be patient. Look at Newcastle in the immediate pre and post takeover, basically the same group of players but they went from relegation fodder to solid mid table in a few months, and while Eddie Howe is a good manager, he wasn’t solely responsible for all that.

That is a great point. I've thought about how easy the players here have it and have had it for years, but if a takeover happens - especially Qatari (leaving aside other considerations) then their security at the club is likely gone.

Another thing I've wondered about is whether players who may have anything to hide - just stuff they want kept private, not criminal - may be on the edge now because of the open season on United and intense scrutiny.

https://apple.news/A6qU37UedSwS7_DS821UzXw

Looks like the upper ups are trying to protect themselves. But this does contradict the “staff concerned by influence of ETH agent” article. Which is what makes me think that leak came from players eg Maguire (who reportedly left after 15 minutes on Saturday) and Sancho etc.

Anyways the article above is a self preservation piece of PR for Matt Hargreaves. Our newly appointed transfer negotiator. Tbf i think he’s done a crap job so far. We over payed by £10m for Hujland (but long term won’t be a big thing if the signing works out), paid exactly what Fiorentina wanted for Amrabat and delayed his arrival by months, so effected the football side for nothing. Didn’t accept a great offer for McTominay, sold Fred for less than other teams offered etc.

Also don’t forget Kim min-Jae was ETH primary target so it’s arguable Hargreaves coming in and trying to play hard ball is what fecked it up. Because by many reports that deal was pretty much agreed. Also a few observers mentioned a shift in ETH tone during pre season. Matching the dates it occurred around and just after the time Min-Jae joined Bayern.

We don’t have a lot to decipher. But from the nuggets.

ETH: Is not overjoyed with the window and time it’s taken for some signings to arrive. He is very disappointed with the of lack sales because of the negativity he knows unwanted players will bring. Also I think he wanted that ball playing CB desperately and until Matt arrived he thought he was getting Kim min-Jae

Players: Something has changed. Remember the unity, fist bumping, chest smashing warrior spirit of last season? Where has it gone. Unfortunately we didn’t sell the players the manager wanted sold and a rotten smell affects everyone.

Upper ups.
Hargreaves is protecting himself. Why we’d hire someone who worked for Adidas to negotiate players I don’t know. You could be the best negotiator in the world but if you don’t understand how clubs think you can easily offend them.
Arnold seems to be untouchable. Will probably be a PR piece to divert attention from the glazers.

Glazers: loving it. All this keeps attention away from them. But if the sale is real it does lower their bargaining power slightly. I’m sure Snapdragon have clauses about performance etc. So it’s good in regards to keeping favs attention off them. But if the bad form continues it affects their bargaining power. But could uncertainty be what makes them make an impulsive move and accept an offer?

Last edited:
Manchester United staff express concerns about growing involvement of Erik ten Hag’s agent Kees Vos in transfers

https://manutdnews.com/manchester-u...of-erik-ten-hags-agent-kees-vos-in-transfers/

Rasmus Hojlund joined SEG before he moved to Man United from Atalanta in the summer, while the agency also acted for the club during the negotiations over the loan signing of Morocco international midfielder Sofyan Amrabat from Fiorentina.

Zidane Iqbal also joined them some weeks before the Red Devils sold him to Utrecht, and the growing influence of Vos’ firm has left other agents unhappy as they reckon it would make them lose out on potential deals due to his strong relationship with Ten Hag.

Status
Not open for further replies.