Erik ten Hag | 2022/23 & 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are "Muppetiers" actually more reliable than they sound like, then?

Although I wouldn't be surprised, given how the english journos kept on reporting that any mention of Amrabat got sniffed at up until the end.

Sounds like they shafted the manager and then caved in last minute because they could not secure a target of their own.
Also possible. Really curious what our transfer strategy was, because we backed the manager, but seemed hesitant at times

Also possible. Really curious what our transfer strategy was, because we backed the manager, but seemed hesitant at times

I don't think we did.
I don't believe ETH wanted Hojlund as his no 1 striker (reports suggests he wanted 2 strikers and Hojlund was the second) and we also know ETH wanted Rice

BBC report start of summer had Kane and Rice as his primary targets

It's starting isn't it? One or two more negative results and the pressure from the media will be insane. He needs some positive results fast otherwise he will quickly become a dead man walking.

At least wins against Palace and Burnley are needed for now.
I think ETH is putting himself on the penalty spot by only aiming for Dutch and/or related players. This will ultimately lead to his downfall

I think ETH is putting himself on the penalty spot by only aiming for Dutch and/or related players. This will ultimately lead to his downfall

Kane and Rice are not Dutch

Most of the commentators and media are saying that Brighton are a well coached team.

For me this so damning in that we simply aren't well coached.

Ten Hag has zero excuses as he should be a better coach and be more tactically astute at this stage.

For me he has until the City game to put things right. If we muddle through and then get thrashed again at City we should seriously consider whether he is the right man.

I don't think we did.
I don't believe ETH wanted Hojlund as his no 1 striker (reports suggests he wanted 2 strikers and Hojlund was the second) and we also know ETH wanted Rice

BBC report start of summer had Kane and Rice as his primary targets
Was Mount supposed to be instead of Rice, or an extra? I'm as hard on our recruitment team and higher ups as anyone but going after two 100m+ players from other english clubs isn't going to end many other ways than it did.

I think ETH is a genuinely top tactician in terms of individual match plans and using the tools at his disposal to get results on any given day. In particular, he seems like one of the savviest managers in the game in terms of setting his side up out of possession. But I don't see much evidence that he is a tactical visionary, that he truly has a medium to long term vision for a dominating kind of football that his club could be playing one day and is working toward realizing that vision. Or maybe he has that vision but the short term pressure of results has undermined his ability to recruit and train his team in a way that is conducive to realizing that vision. Even his most successful transfers - like Casemiro and Martinez - don't really fit the profile of players in those positions that have been centerpieces of dominant sides in the PL recently, as one is clearly on the slide and the other lacks the athletic qualities to play in the backline for a team regularly playing high up the pitch.

But I don't see the point of sacking him, he's still clearly the best manager United have had since Fergie and its not obvious that there is any magical manager out there who would do better under the circumstances. The best thing would be to sack the people above him and put a footballing structure in place with a longer term vision for footballing success.

It's starting isn't it? One or two more negative results and the pressure from the media will be insane. He needs some positive results fast otherwise he will quickly become a dead man walking.

At least wins against Palace and Burnley are needed for now.

Yup. I think for the first time in ETHs reign as man utd manager, there are serious doubts about whether he's good enough. Its the beginning of the end, he'll be out before the season ends.

Kane and Rice are not Dutch
Onana, Martinez, Amrabat and Antony played for him. Wout and Malacia are Dutch, Mount played in Dutch league.

That is 7 out of 14 players that are directly related to EtH/Holland in 15 months, 6 if you don’t want to count Mount (which is fair enough). Do you genuinely think those were not manager’s signings?

For context, since we rightfully sacked the other Dutch manager who also had a fetish for Dutch (league) players, we had signed a single Dutch (league) player, Donny van der Beek. We then went and signed 6 players that are either Dutch or played for ETH in Holland, but somehow, that has not much to do with the manager. Yes sure, Dominic Jordan using data science algorithms came to the conclusion that half of the players should be related to the manager, what a surprise.

I think ETH is a genuinely top tactician in terms of individual match plans and using the tools at his disposal to get results on any given day. In particular, he seems like one of the savviest managers in the game in terms of setting his side up out of possession. But I don't see much evidence that he is a tactical visionary, that he truly has a medium to long term vision for a dominating kind of football that his club could be playing one day and is working toward realizing that vision. Or maybe he has that vision but the short term pressure of results has undermined his ability to recruit and train his team in a way that is conducive to realizing that vision. Even his most successful transfers - like Casemiro and Martinez - don't really fit the profile of players in those positions that have been centerpieces of dominant sides in the PL recently, as one is clearly on the slide and the other lacks the athletic qualities to play in the backline for a team regularly playing high up the pitch.

But I don't see the point of sacking him, he's still clearly the best manager United have had since Fergie and its not obvious that there is any magical manager out there who would do better under the circumstances. The best thing would be to sack the people above him and put a footballing structure in place with a longer term vision for footballing success.
Would you say that Zidane had a long term vision? Would you say that Zidane even had a playing style when he won 3 CL's in a row with Real? I don't recall him having a particular style. I do recall him having good in-game management and making everyone perform at a high level.

Tactical vision seems overrated to me.

Yeah should’ve left the money in the bank for the Glazers to take out some more dividends :drool:

Given that we chased de Jong for the entire summer last year it’s pretty obvious that Amrabat is a bargain-tier signing for a similar position. In other news, water is wet.

Would you say that Zidane had a long term vision? Would you say that Zidane even had a playing style when he won 3 CL's in a row with Real? I don't recall him having a particular style. I do recall him having good in-game management and making everyone perform at a high level.

Completely fair. But Zidane inherited an incredible side that had already won the CL and had a bunch of world class veteran leaders who could navigate their way through tough matches on their own. All he really needed to do was to keep everybody focused and rowing in the same direction. Very few managers inherit that kind of situation.

Zidane had a style. His team used to play on the flanks and utilize width for creating chances. Most of their goals came that way.

I have no idea how but I do think there needs to be some sort of filter on here, regarding posting stuff like this. Who said this? Is it credible? Just not sure whether posts supported by X/Twitter quotes advances much at all.

You would sack ETH?

Not yet, but I have lost confidence in him. One too many things in front of my eyes that I can’t ignore or make excuses for.

Only reason I wouldn’t sack him today is I am not sure where to go next. That and I think it could make our season worse.

I have no idea how but I do think there needs to be some sort of filter on here, regarding posting stuff like this. Who said this? Is it credible? Just not sure whether posts supported by X/Twitter quotes advances much at all.
The worst part is that he didn't even say that. The aggregator is trying to farm clicks by pretending he said that.

Was Mount supposed to be instead of Rice, or an extra? I'm as hard on our recruitment team and higher ups as anyone but going after two 100m+ players from other english clubs isn't going to end many other ways than it did.
Amrabat is instead of Rice

Not yet, but I have lost confidence in him. One too many things in front of my eyes that I can’t ignore or make excuses for.

Only reason I wouldn’t sack him today is I am not sure where to go next. That and I think it could make our season worse.
Thats wild. I am all for the questioning the manager but thats a very quick decision in my opinion.

Amrabat is instead of Rice
I get that positionally, but I meant more did we pivot to spending a big sum on Mount after realising Rice wouldn't happen? Just thinking about the budget here, given we were scrambling around for spare change for loans by the end, I don't understand how anyone at the club could've thought we'd get Kane, Rice and Mount (and Onana etc).

I think that's a good point regarding the players' mentality. It's why I'm in favour of keeping sancho out of team training unless he fully toes the line. Negativity can easily creep into teams, even successful ones especially when finances are involved. It happens in every business and I guess it will be at a whole other level when we're talking about footballer money.

A pretty harsh but fair disciplinarian is needed to deal with that lot.
Absolutely Yes. But unfortunately, ETH needs results on the pitch to justify his disciplinary actions. Without results any disciplinary step he takes is considered as having lost the plot. Mourinho had the same problems with Pogba, Martial etc. which, in hindsight he was right about their attitudes, but without results he couldn't be trusted to fix the squad.

Thats wild. I am all for the questioning the manager but thats a very quick decision in my opinion.
Quick, but understandable. Especially the reason for not firing him - the board can't be trusted to handle signing a new manager the right way.

So he targeted players he'd have known we couldn't afford. He's an idiot then.
He does not handle negotiations or budgets. Thats who he asked for and by the way we spent 216m euros.

Quick, but understandable. Especially the reason for not firing him - the board can't be trusted to handle signing a new manager the right way.
I don't believe its understandable at all
We are 5 games into a season after coming 3rd and getting to 2 finals without a CF

We are also in the middle of an injury crisis

Its not understandable at all

I get that positionally, but I meant more did we pivot to spending a big sum on Mount after realising Rice wouldn't happen? Just thinking about the budget here, given we were scrambling around for spare change for loans by the end, I don't understand how anyone at the club could've thought we'd get Kane, Rice and Mount (and Onana etc).

Maybe the club did but its clear ETH didn’t and always wanted a 6

Status
Not open for further replies.