Erik ten Hag | 2022/23 & 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
Martinez is not that great. He's Heinze reincarnated, i.e. someone that we all fall in love due to his attitude and spirit with but once we get a proper CB we will realize how misled we had been.

He's not terrible but none of the top clubs would ever look at him, really.
What's with all the Martinez slander all of a sudden? He's a brilliant centre back and proved it last season. Of course other top clubs would want him I mean Arsenal wanted him last year before we came in for him.

It's not even his attitude that made me fall in love with him as a player. It's how fecking good he is technically. He's the perfect modern day ball playing centre back and will be starting for us for years to come.

Martinez is not that great. He's Heinze reincarnated, i.e. someone that we all fall in love due to his attitude and spirit with but once we get a proper CB we will realize how misled we had been.

I think he's brilliant.

This is an interesting take!!

He’s an incredible player. I would like to see him in DM.

So do i , but you are not submitting to the ETH out agenda. Get rid of ETH, Mount & Anthony and United will strive so adding Martinez is rubbish is not far jump for that group of fans
I didn't really say he's rubbish. Just average.

I don't really want ETH out, said so much in my previous post. I very much doubt we will win any serious trophies with him but he's better than any of the managers we had post Fergie so let's at least stick to this one for a while.

Last edited:
He is Brilliant. The amount of folk on here lately chatting absolute drivel is at an all time high. Check out the Bruno thread for some more hilariously bad takes.
Those takes have been going on since Ole's last season. Those posters will never admit how good he is, even when fellow professionals like De Bruyne rate him as the best.

What's with all the Martinez slander all of a sudden? He's a brilliant centre back and proved it last season. Of course other top clubs would want him I mean Arsenal wanted him last year before we came in for him.

It's not even his attitude that made me fall in love with him as a player. It's how fecking good he is technically. He's the perfect modern day ball playing centre back and will be starting for us for years to come.
He's good/great at passing and taking care of the ball, but only decent at the actual defending part.

Let's see this season, we were quite bad defensively last year, which was down to De Gea, now that we have the second most expensive goalkeeper in the world there should be no excuses and we should not be conceding 40+ goals again.

He's by no means our biggest issue, or probably an issue at all, but he's not the amazing, great defender many perceive him to be. Varane is on another level when fit.

You see, there are a fair number of bitter agendaposters who wanted Mourinho/Ole/Rangnick to stay, or wanted Pochettino hired instead of Ten Hag, and have made it their life's mission to convince the rest of the Caf that ten Hag is a fraud and should be immediately fired.

Martinez is a fan favorite, a successful signing that ten Hag is obviously almost entirely responsible for signing. The fact that he's very good causes huge amounts of cognitive dissonance in the minds of Ten Hag haters, so they either have to pretend he doesn't exist or that he's terrible. These people will pipe up more when the squad or Martinez hits inevitable patches of bad form.

It's best to just ignore these posters, as they can only really be fans of United if they feel the club reflects something positive about them, say, for example, that they predicted some player or manager would be great before anyone else.

The problem with dismissing him after failing to deliver CL football next year is we'll have allowed another manager to change strategy and rebuild the team at a cost of close to half a billion, only to take a completely new direction immediately after he failed. At this point it feels like we are almost obliged to give him more time because we've invested so much into his vision. At some point we have to allow the manager to spend that £1bn (though at this pace it may be double that if we are spending this much on individual players) and invest into their ideas. If ETH goes, virtually none of the players he had signed (except maybe Onana) are likely to be that appealing to whoever our next manager is, and that manager would need to go out and replace half the team again. We can't go around in these circles endlessly.
Oh absolutely but we're in this position because we've gone back on our supposed strategy of having a world class DOF and having that team largely dictating player transfers. We've already started on the "wrong footing".

You see, there are a fair number of bitter agendaposters who wanted Mourinho/Ole/Rangnick to stay, or wanted Pochettino hired instead of Ten Hag, and have made it their life's mission to convince the rest of the Caf that ten Hag is a fraud and should be immediately fired.

Martinez is a fan favorite, a successful signing that ten Hag is obviously almost entirely responsible for signing. The fact that he's very good causes huge amounts of cognitive dissonance in the minds of Ten Hag haters, so they either have to pretend he doesn't exist or that he's terrible. These people will pipe up more when the squad or Martinez hits inevitable patches of bad form.

It's best to just ignore these posters, as they can only really be fans of United if they feel the club reflects something positive about them, say, for example, that they predicted some player or manager would be great before anyone else.

Yeah I don't rate Martinez very highly because I wanted Rangnick to stay, not because our defense with him and Varane was not particularly good last season or because he happened to be on the pitch and be quite awful in some of our worst defensive performances of recent years. It's all because of my deep desire to still have Ralf Rangnick as our manager. That's a perfect assessment, thank you.

Oh absolutely but we're in this position because we've gone back on our supposed strategy of having a world class DOF and having that team largely dictating player transfers. We've already started on the "wrong footing".
Well we've already started so we may as well continue instead of changing our strategy. We've given him huge funds and complete freedom in picking his targets, so backtracking on that after mere two years just because this approach failed may not be the best choice.

For what it's worth I think we'll finish 4th/5th. I think he's a good enough manager to consistently have us in CL spots, while not really competing for major trophies, and we kind of need that stability. I think we'll have a largely similar season to last, where we dispose of weaker teams, have occasional blunders and get frequently murdered by good teams away from home. Which is to be fair better than what we had before.

Yeah I don't rate Martinez very highly because I wanted Rangnick to stay, not because our defense with him and Varane was not particularly good last season or because he happened to be on the pitch and be quite awful in some of our worst defensive performances of recent years. It's all because of my deep desire to still have Ralf Rangnick as our manager. That's a perfect assessment, thank you.

You defend with 11 players in modern football. Just because we conceded a lot of goals doesn’t necessarily mean our CB’s were poor, and they weren’t.

Well we've already started so we may as well continue instead of changing our strategy. We've given him huge funds and complete freedom in picking his targets, so backtracking on that after mere two years just because this approach failed may not be the best choice.

For what it's worth I think we'll finish 4th/5th. I think he's a good enough manager to consistently have us in CL spots, while not really competing for major trophies, and we kind of need that stability. I think we'll have a largely similar season to last, where we dispose of weaker teams, have occasional blunders and get frequently murdered by good teams away from home. Which is to be fair better than what we had before.
I do have a sneaky feeling that this is the final roll of the dice for us under the Glazers. If he fails that's us finished as a regular CL club. Hopefully that compels the Glazers to sell.

He's good/great at passing and taking care of the ball, but only decent at the actual defending part.

Let's see this season, we were quite bad defensively last year, which was down to De Gea, now that we have the second most expensive goalkeeper in the world there should be no excuses and we should not be conceding 40+ goals again.

He's by no means our biggest issue, or probably an issue at all, but he's not the amazing, great defender many perceive him to be. Varane is on another level when fit.

When you can't even acknowledge that Martinez is a great passer, that shows your clear agenda.

Onana is 4th most expensive after Kepa, Allison, Buffon. That is also now in a much inflated market which distorts the comparison. Another example of your agenda.

The cycle continues.
Hire new manager.
Bring in some new players.
Do okay in first season.
Get back in CL.
Have a shit transfer window.
Have a shit season.
Sack manager.
Repeat.

We conceded 17 of 43 goals in three matches last season, and still allowed the 4th fewest goals in the league. Those are statistical outliers by any measure, so to say our defense wasn’t particularly good is just factually incorrect

The cycle continues.
Hire new manager.
Do okay in first season.
Get back in CL.
Have a shit season.
Sack manager.
Repeat.
Cycle continues…we spend lots of money on players that aren’t worth it and then can’t buy the players we actually need.
Every manager has been backed financially to the point that they should have had a team that could at least compete comfortably for top 4. That’s never happened cause our transfers both in and out of the club have been horrendous.

When you can't even acknowledge that Martinez is a great passer, that shows your clear agenda.

Onana is 4th most expensive after Kepa, Allison, Buffon. That is also now in a much inflated market which distorts the comparison. Another example of your agenda.

I did say good/great.

I forgot about that joker Kepa and I was fairly sure Buffon’s fee was lower. Still a £50m goalkeeper should surely improve our defense.

We conceded 17 of 43 goals in three matches last season, and still allowed the 4th fewest goals in the league. Those are statistical outliers by any measure, so to say our defense wasn’t particularly good is just factually incorrect
Well we can’t just dismiss games though. The fact that we managed to concede so many goals in virtually all our away games against good, offensive teams is obviously concerning.

The cycle continues.
Hire new manager.
Do okay in first season.
Get back in CL.
Have a shit season.
Sack manager.
Repeat.
This will continue endlessly as long as we allow managers to dictate recruitment and squad building.

Well we can’t just dismiss games though. The fact that we managed to concede so many goals in virtually all our away games against good, offensive teams is obviously concerning.
Nobody is dismissing it, but the bottom line is they are statistical outliers, so you definitely can't dismiss the remaining 35 matches in which we conceded 26 goals.

Cycle continues…we spend lots of money on players that aren’t worth it and then can’t buy the players we actually need.
Every manager has been backed financially to the point that they should have had a team that could at least compete comfortably for top 4. That’s never happened cause our transfers both in and out of the club have been horrendous.
Recruitment should have been taken away from the managers long ago. They should be free to recommend players but should have the final say.

There is nothing wrong with managers bringing their former players to the club, all top managers have done this but we should actually have someone in place capable of assessing these players.

When your club is taking active interest in Reguilon you know there is something fundamentally wrong.

Weren't Arsenal in for him too? Heinze played for Real Madrid BTW.

Martinez is one of the better centre backs in the league, and Europe for sure.

Weren't Arsenal in for him too? Heinze played for Real Madrid BTW.

Martinez is one of the better centre backs in the league, and Europe for sure.

Heinze was a good (very good) left back whom we overrated.

Arsenal is another team whose defense I don’t truly rate.

This will continue endlessly as long as we allow managers to dictate recruitment and squad building.
I don't want us to be the team that signs players for the manager without his input either. The manager should always have the option to veto a player. The manager should also suggest players he wants and the CEO or director if we had one, can veto that player. Our transfers appear to be done for money reasons only with little footballing reasons. I mean, yeah, we're signing footballers but they don't fit, or we pay over the real valuation or high wages to get the player to come. We've had very few successful signings since Woodward was in charge and have spent over a billion on transfers and wages. It's a toxic cycle and the only way it will break is when the club is sold.

ETH must have known what he was letting himself in for at United, especially with the current owners. The 'world and his wife' has a view on how to manage the club so he was never going to get full backing from all sections of the clubs fan base and he must have known about the ABU's of this world as well, always ready to put their twopenny-worth in.
The 'sale' ,or is it 'no sale' of the club is making things worse; every time United are reputed to be interested in a player the price goes up and so does the players' personal terms. It seems strange now but for years (certainly with people in my age group) lots of fans often thought players would come for whatever is offered, just because its United. We now know different!

The 'top line' players we attract these days are almost exclusively those coming to the end of their careers, the rest are just below this level at best, or just plain average. Although we still have a regular supply of talent from the youngsters within the club, they don't arrive fully blooded and experienced and will make mistakes whilst they continue their development. Hence the way back is going to be long and painful, we wandered in the football wilderness from end of the 60's until SAF's arrival in the mid 80's and that took sometime to come to fruition in the early 90's so if we wandered in that wilderness for 15-20 or so years, so drawing a parallel then, we are still 10 years away from renewed greatness.

For all the above reasons and some we don't know, ETH seems to be replacing (with the odd exception) mid-order players for more mid-order players, I suspect just now he has no choice and presumably thinks he can do something with the new lot, that he couldn't with the old lot.

The cycle continues.
Hire new manager.
Do okay in first season.
Get back in CL.
Have a shit season.
Sack manager.
Repeat.
3. Games. In.

Can't stand this gloominess and cynicism from so-called fans.

Last edited:
First 50 games most successful of any manager we’ve ever had.
A win percentage in his first 50 that only Pep can better.
Inherited dross with broken confidence.
Got third and two finals one cup.
This season.
Won 2 out of 3, hasn’t played well so far and suddenly the pitchforks are out. We could have a great game against Arsenal and lose to a dodgy decision and some will be threatening to not watch us again until he’s sacked
There's a certain kind of fan who gets off on the soap opera rather than the matches. Maybe it's a TV thing. They have a vested interest in getting the pitchforks out. I see what ETF is trying to do, and I think his excellent performance last season shows he's worth backing.

Nobody is dismissing it, but the bottom line is they are statistical outliers, so you definitely can't dismiss the remaining 35 matches in which we conceded 26 goals.
Depends on your expectations. Do you want to be in (upper) midtable? Then the occasional defensive disaster can be tolerated, as long as the rest of the season looks like it did defensively. Do you want to be challenging for the title? Then you must iron out those matches, then it is irrelevant how many decent defensive performances you had.

Depends on your expectations. Do you want to be in (upper) midtable? Then the occasional defensive disaster can be tolerated, as long as the rest of the season looks like it did defensively. Do you want to be challenging for the title? Then you most iron out those matches, then it is irrelevant how many decent defensive performances you had.

What if you want to be top 4 which was our aim last year? In which case those type of showings do happen. Can't happen again though this year, cuz not happening again is a sign of progress.

What if you want to be top 4 which was our aim last year? In which case those type of showings do happen. Can't happen again though this year, cuz not happening again is a sign of progress.
Then it indicates a risky season, because it shows a lack of stability and you can't be sure how often this will be exposed over the course of the season. Last season it worked out well, but one couldn't be sure about this.

I wonder if the club would still have appointed him if they knew he had this habit of only signing players he worked with before. I always wanted Erik over Pochettino but then I didn't realise about this obsession he had when saying that

Once the new owners are in, ETH needs to get better at transfers or he could be in trouble
No he does not, we need to get better. Stop handing these managers an open checkbook to go out and pick who the feck they know. Get a structure in place that builds a squad and adds to that squad based on facts and data not who I worked with last time.

Quality control
There's a certain kind of fan who gets off on the soap opera rather than the matches. Maybe it's a TV thing. They have a vested interest in getting the pitchforks out. I see what ETF is trying to do, and I think his excellent performance last season shows he's worth backing.
Spent most of his budget on Antony.
Unable to get rid of Maguire, and made him captain last season.
The only manager ever who couldn’t get Ronaldo to score goals.
Got Weighorst to replace the greatest goalscorer of all time.
Lost 4-0 to Brentford
Lost 6-3 to City
Lost 3-1 to Villa
Lost 4-2 to Cadiz (who???)
Lost 7-0 to Liverpool (no manager should survive that result)
Royally fecked up the tie against Sevilla with weird subs yet again, when we were in great position to get to the semi finals.
1 point against top 9 teams away from home last season.

Yeah, excellent performance last year from the dutch Brendan Rodgers. Can’t wait to see what he’ll do with Cucurella, Mount and Reguilón this season.

Is Moyes still on our payroll? Because we could really use him right now.

I wonder if the club would still have appointed him if they knew he had this habit of only signing players he worked with before. I always wanted Erik over Pochettino but then I didn't realise about this obsession he had when saying that

Shouldnt have been a factor since it should be the club making the signings not the manager. Since managers are rarely around for more than 3 years now, even the good ones, and player contracts are double that.

Spent most of his budget on Antony.
Unable to get rid of Maguire, and made him captain last season.
The only manager ever who couldn’t get Ronaldo to score goals.
Got Weighorst to replace the greatest goalscorer of all time.
Lost 4-0 to Brentford
Lost 6-3 to City
Lost 3-1 to Villa
Lost 4-2 to Cadiz (who???)
Lost 7-0 to Liverpool (no manager should survive that result)
Royally fecked up the tie against Sevilla with weird subs yet again, when we were in great position to get to the semi finals.
1 point against top 9 teams away from home last season.

Yeah, excellent performance last year from the dutch Brendan Rodgers. Can’t wait to see what he’ll do with Cucurella, Mount and Reguilón this season.

Is Moyes still on our payroll? Because we could really use him right now.

This post is genuinely unhinged, some of the issues you're trying to lay at his feet are complete nonsense. He handled Ronaldo perfectly, Maguire's fat contract he doesn't want to leave isn't on him, Weghorst was an emergency loan, and Sevilla had the most luck I've ever seen in a football match to get past us. The City and Liverpool results are fair enough (although the latter was a freak result based on the quality of their chances), but drubbings were (and still are) expected with us trying to play a more progressive style having been a sit-deep-and-counter side for so long.

A much better way to describe his first season with us is taking a team devoid of confidence, had finished 6th, and had serious issues in the dressing room, to 3rd, a trophy, and another final.

Status
Not open for further replies.