Erik ten Hag | 2022/23 & 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
If ETH is sacked then it is a Guardiola/Klopp or nothing. He is the best of the rest, or at least in a group of the best of the rest. There are players who have been at the club through Mourinho, Ole, and now Ten Hag. Some of them Van Gaal too. Those players - who will sometimes have purple patches - are not good enough on an elite level. Over all that time, the transfer handling has been abysmal and largely still is. For example, paying £80 million for a £40 million right winger. None of this means Ten Hag is blameless, but it is obvious he is not the fundamental problem. Until the apathy at the top of the club is removed, the apathy on the pitch will remain.
He definitely isn't. Has shown nothing to suggest that. Frank de Boer did even better in Eredivisie, and that didn't make him the best of the rest.

He took the squad who had finished 6th the season before, spent much more than any other manager in the meantime, and we do not even look like the 6th best team in the country. We look crap.

It's brain-dead, knee jerk waffle though.

I want to get a vote going so people can see that early everyone supports him. Calling for him to go is clinically insane in my view but people are saying it so let's hear it.

This is going to be another shit season, like LVGs 2nd season, like Ole's 2nd, like mourinhos 3rd. The opening game at wolves was obvious. Expect more defeats, more poor performances, more drubbings. Brace yourself united fans, it's going to be a long and painful season.

Even with prime Pep we would be a shit show! Until the Glazer’s leave we have no chance of success
Don't buy this. Maybe we wouldn't be competing for the title but we would be better than this. There has been no progression in style since eth came in, which is pretty damning given what came before

Wouldn’t it be better for everyone if these people just supported a different club every season ? They would be happier and actual United fans wouldn’t have to read their shite views.

Bizarre form of support/loyalty with requires nothing from fans.

That's why you put a proper structure in place and take transfer responsibilities away from the manager. The likes of Real, Barca, and Bayern never keep managers for more than 2 years, yet they never seem to have this problem of constant churn and deadwood.

Agree with this.

We can't compete with City financially, we can't compete with them organisationally, we can't compete with them on the pitch. The Glazers have spent the cash but they won't spend it on organisational structure of the club to implement a proper football system, as LVG said we're run as a business and not a football club and we're fecked if we continue that. That said, seen as they won't spend the money on the organisational structure then the people we do have, have to do better. It might be open season by journalists talking about our transfer plans but it's been a shambles, again. Some of that is down to ETH surely given he's not got anyone above him directing things.

So with that in mind, it's about getting the CL.

I just think this season it's going to look worse more times than it looks good the way he's trying to play and we just don't have the players for it. It's going to be more galling when teams like Wolves completely nullify ETH tactically and he doesn't adapt. He's proven he's stubborn with team selection and he only uses a small squad from last season so this is just the way it's going to be.

I think we're going to get ripped apart more than a few times and especially by the best teams. We're committing suicide by having people pressed up so far and leaving such a gap in the middle. If he sticks with that and refuses to change then you've got the raise the questions about his fitness to execute the job.

Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea, Spurs and Newcastle are all gonna be in the mix so where do we sit? I don't think we're getting CL this season if this is the way we're playing. It's one thing saying the players are out of form and that does happen but I just don't think they're at all comfortable playing the way we are.

Pathetic top blame ETH in either of the goals. First Rashford and Onana slept and in the second Martinez and Onana. What exactly was his fault?

Should Rashford be the only player in the centre of the pitch after a corner 2 minutes into the game? It's like something you'd see in the 89th minute with a team chasing the game. One flick-on shouldn't lead to a player being through on goal in United's half on his own. Rashford should have done better but he's not a defender, there should have been some defensive player somewhere near the ball.

I think all true United fans have to admit it and shout it so we can make the changes to save our season.

Eric Teg Hag out of funds. Glazers need to sell.

It's bleak (it's only half time but the point remains)

his signings aren't looking good
the others players he hasn't signed were mostly average/inconsistent bar 2 or so
club can't spend in the window which hinders us getting good quality depth for a season that includes CL
the club are hilariously bad at selling/moving on players
his style of play doesn't look anywhere near implemented
we have an inept board who also gave bad contracts
we have an inept owner who doesn't care
bad injury record that seems to occur regularly

you just have to hold up your hands and admit that he may have to be jesus to get anything out of the season, it's just the way it is.

we're in such a bad place right now :lol:

I know the glazers are a stain on the club but what have they got to do with tactics and how shit we look on the pitch? mentality of the players? The manager has spent a fair amount of money on players who he wanted no matter who owned the club.

People have the right to their opinion as to our prospects, but the fact remains that there are a series of teams in the league with…

1) Managers with less time in the job
2) Getting better results
3) Playing much more cohesive and attractive football
4) Far fewer resources

It’s absolutely not irrational or “crazy” to think that he is failing his remit and has been for a while. We have been awful since the league cup final and for the second season in a row, look completely unfit and unprepared. The very basics aren’t in place and that makes it ímpossible for me to give him my confidence.

I still hope we win, I always do, but the red flags are there and growing in number.
It is not irrational, but at the same time, many of the clubs doing well have a clear goal and structure. Manchester United does not and it really feels like a rudderless ship. What is the vision of the club, where the off-field and on-field operations move in unison towards a goal? And while that only excuses what happens in the actual football matches to a degree, it cannot be underestimated how the lack of planning, control, and vision over the last 10 years has impacted everything. I see ETH has the most in control person at the club.

I have said it before and I really believe that if United sack Ten Hag, he will end up somewhere else and win everything. Whether it is Bayern, Barca, Real Madrid, or even Newcastle.

A good idea to round up the idiot posters in one place.

The football is no better than the previous managers. But like I said then it won't change until we have a squad fit for purpose. Beggars belief we've spent a further £400m and this is the result.

Sacking him won't achieve anything without sorting recruitment.

Every manager has the idea that in modern football you should press.

I do not remember us being that great at it though.
It was probably because he's the only real 'modern' manager we've appointed post SAF, and the only one who actually tried to implement a coordinated press. We weren't that great at it but we showed signs. Problem is that what he wanted on paper, completely contradicted what he wanted in the transfer market. Instead of going for young hungry midfielders, we went for Casemiro and Eriksen. The project was doomed from the start, and now I'm really curious to see how he plans to progress.

sack the manager and then what? We still have dross players

He needs to stay no matter what, we invested a lot of money in his players. Even if we have a bottom half of the table position.

If fans had a brain, save the energy to not go to games to get rid of the Glazers (will never happen) rather than going on about EtH out.
Totally agree we have spent nearly 500 million on ten hags players. We can't continue to keep letting managers spend 100s of million on there players and then trying to get a new manager to use the old managers players. We need to get the deadwood players out the club who have no futures at the club and continue with the ones who want to die for this club.

Shouldn't be sacked but I'm not seeing the hope others are seeing with him.

£400+ million spent in a year and still a defunct midfield.

Over a year of us giving up big chances from our own corners. This should be easy to coach out of players.

Impotent attack.

His persistence with Antony. A truly atrocious excuse for a footballer.
I am still trying to understand what does Antony bring to this team except having a stronger left foot and defending decently.
He cannot pass, cannot cross, doesn't have pace, cannot dribble past players, cannot shoot well. He is perhaps the shittiest signing we have made for the kind of outlay we did.
He should have been the signal that we should not rely on Eth to find us good players.

But more than just him, where's this "defending from the front", "best transition team"? I am seeing none of it this game. Just using buzz words is Eth. Think we are where we were during Ole's third full season. It doesn't look good for our manager right now.

The football is no better than the previous managers. But like I said then it won't change until we have a squad fit for purpose. Beggars belief we've spent a further £400m and this is the result.

Which means sacking Murtough and signing a proven director of football who will wield the power over the head coach.

We can't compete with City financially, we can't compete with them organisationally, we can't compete with them on the pitch. The Glazers have spent the cash but they won't spend it on organisational structure of the club to implement a proper football system, as LVG said we're run as a business and not a football club and we're fecked if we continue that.

So with that in mind, it's about getting the CL.

I just think this season it's going to look worse more times than it looks good the way he's trying to play and we just don't have the players for it. It's going to be more galling when teams like Wolves completely nullify ETH tactically and he doesn't adapt. He's proven he's stubborn with team selection and he only uses a small squad from last season so this is just the way it's going to be.

I think we're going to get ripped apart more than a few times and especially by the best teams. We're committing suicide by having people pressed up so far and leaving such a gap in the middle. If he sticks with that and refuses to change then you've got the raise the questions about his fitness to execute the job.

Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea, Spurs and Newcastle are all gonna be in the mix so where do we sit? I don't think we're getting CL this season if this is the way we're playing. It's one thing saying the players are out of form and that does happen but I just don't think they're at all comfortable playing the way we are.
We actually can. And we are. We spend more than them in transfer fees, we spend more than them in wages. It has been a decade since we are overspending them,

However, organizationally they are in a different galaxy compared to us. From the DoF and the structure around him, to the manager, they have people who know what are doing. We do not.

He’s a victims of a whole lot of other issues at this club that new owners could quickly solve.
All our problems on the pitch for years come from wrong football setup where manager runs the show in everything. New owner only needs to hire right DoF. That is our most important transfer in future.
I think that ETH is very good coach and he should be just that; a coach.

we’ve had these problems since before he took over and we still have them now though. He hasnt changed it

it's 3 games into the season though, if you or anyone is expecting him to get sacked after this game you're going to be very disappointed.

But he's doing the recruitment?

The only two things that concern me about ETH are his transfer strategy and the way we've come out of the blocks this year. The former obviously informing the latter.

A quarter of a billion quid spent on largely nepotism transfers (Martinez, Antony, Malacia, Onana et al) plus Mount, and with the exception of Martinez, little return on any of them. Unless Hojlund ends up being a gem this year, significant questions will be asked about why he didn't prioritize funds for Kane over a player like Mount.

If ETH is sacked then it is a Guardiola/Klopp or nothing. He is the best of the rest, or at least in a group of the best of the rest. There are players who have been at the club through Mourinho, Ole, and now Ten Hag. Some of them Van Gaal too. Those players - who will sometimes have purple patches - are not good enough on an elite level. Over all that time, the transfer handling has been abysmal and largely still is. For example, paying £80 million for a £40 million right winger. None of this means Ten Hag is blameless, but it is obvious he is not the fundamental problem. Until the apathy at the top of the club is removed, the apathy on the pitch will remain.
Ten Hag has proved nothing to suggest he is the best of the rest. Tuchel and Ancelotti have done more to get that title. And Ten Hag is far from blameless. He bought his new players, he chose the tactics, he has been given power to make decisions and they are backfiring.

Imagine Caf running United, we would change managers every 3 games.
Good, at least then the manager would just be an interchangeable cog in a bigger system (as is the case at nearly every other big club), rather than the person in charge of everything at the club.

All our problems on the pitch for years come from wrong football setup where manager runs the show in everything. New owner only needs to hire right DoF. That is our most important transfer in future.
I think that ETH is very good coach and he should be just that; a coach.
We do not seem to have the football expertise in the club to do that though.

The team has no pace, has no tactic to breakdown opponents when defending very deep, vulnerable when defending counter attack. Not sure what he is building anyway.

Reason why is because there are better manager that could be attainable like de zerbi. If the club get bought out, I rather de zerbi conduct the rebuild job than ETH at the moment.

I m not typically a result guy. ETH was brought to improve our footballing aesthetic. If we wanted shoddy wins, we would have just kept Ole. We bought in ETH to imbue an attractive footballing philosophy and I have not seen that yet. When you see how fast Pochettino, postecoglue and de zerbi has changed the culture and footballing nature of their respective club, it shouldn't be that hard to do at United.

This season is the season that we should be challenging for the title and champion league, moreover look more like a cohesive unit. Perhaps it is just a slow start, but that should be expectations going into this season.

So De zerbi is now they flavour of the month? Just like ETH was a few seasons ago.

Poch has been there 5 minutes, and at least Chelsea show ambition in the transfer market. Joke of a post.

Not Ten Hag out but he should never have been responsible for our transfer window. We will probably end up 5-7 this year and he will have to blamed for it, unfortunately.

Status
Not open for further replies.