Erik ten Hag | 2022/23 & 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’d love to ask him what he expects this team to play like. He starts Mount and Bruno plus a front 3 of attackers so that’s 5 players that want to be in and around the opposition box.

I keep hearing the words press and counter press but the players can run in circles all day what about when we get the ball? there’s no plan, no movement, no passing, no runs being made off the ball, daft possession given away by the same players ever week.

A team like City and possibly Arsenal can play with 2 advanced midfielders because they grab the game by the scruff of the neck and don’t jet their opponents breath, for United and ETH theres just nothing there, the players and setup look uncoached. You can’t just pick 11 players and say go…..we’re fecking shite

I have no problems with Ten Hag. When you sum everything up, he's done well at United, exceeding expectations during his first season.

This season; however, is where he will be scrutinised a lot more, which is to be expected.

Having put in a poor performance against Wolves, I thought things would change today. Yet, ten Hag went with the same team and got the same performance.

Going forward, there's a few things that he probably needs to look at changing.

- Rashford needs to go back to left wing.
- Mount and Bruno need to swap roles.
- Our midfield in the ''tougher'' games or away games needs to be tougher to beat.

I don't think it's time to overreact, though. Just a few tweaks and we'll be hopefully fining.

Fans overreact all the time. However using that as an excuse to try and paint all genuine concerns with the same brush is stupid at best. Eth did well last season and he has some leeway partially because of that and partially because of how low we were when he joined us. That does not mean he is immune from being questioned or doubted. Currently we are far closer to how we were under Ole than where we want to be.

Its one thing questioning him (and no one would disagree with those questions after the start to the season) but its altogether something else calling for him to be sacked, the latter is plain stupid.

You want to bring Rangnick back? I wasn’t expecting that.
The idea of appointing Rangnick as interim manager was that he’d play the DoF football role the next season. Even after we appointed EtH that seemed to be the plan. But out of nowhere we decided to get rid of Rangnick and handed over the transfer reins to EtH. I don’t want Rangnick back as a manager but someone with a football background to run transfers.

Think he got summer window wrong and spent it on wrong players. Onana was needed but half budget on type midfielder not needed.

Wrong type of midfield he has decided to go with, Mount waste of 55 million. We already have Bruno. If he continues this way its suicidal and will get sacked.

Needs to be sorted out ASAP.

Needs someone in midfield with casemiro who can get about and pass it and dictate play.

I dread the champions league group we get.

He got last summer wrong as well. The Antony money could've been used for so much more.

been the case under 4 different managers, different personnel as well. If ETH is THE guy he has not been able to coach anything different than Moyes, LVG, Mourinho, Ole.
To me he's on thin ice this season. Unless he is able to show that he can improve a pretty decent squad (holes but still pretty decent) we should look to move on.

At some point you have to back a manager longer term.

We have some good individuals but in some areas our squad is weaker than most the league.

At CDM we have one player who can play the role.

We have no box to box midfielder that would play for a top 13 team in the league.

Our only striker is a kid who scored 9 goals in Italy next season and hasn't played a game in the league yet.

Our wingers can't beat a man or cross the ball. They just want to score solo goals once every 8 games.

My doubt started when United signed Mason Mount.
Even James Maddison would make more sense than fecking Mount
How so?
Maddison is a number ten, not a position we need.

New owners like Qatari will most probably sack Ten Hag if he doesn't achieve fast success.

We lost the first 2 games last year. He got us third and won a cup in his first season last year… typical knee jerk comment..

We look very poor and we've got some difficult games coming up.

A poor performance (win or lose) against forest at home then bad losses to arsenal and brighten - will the pressure build on ETH?

I mean, how secure is he in the job really?

I think fundamentally that if pep had the same players he would be getting more out of them. We absolutely shit our pants after spurs scored the first - really we should have calmed down and tried to pass our way back into the game, but instead resorted to kicking it long.
I think Pep would immediately get rid of every player he didn’t like and would spend a colossal sum assembling his perfect team. Fine by me. Let’s try and get him.

What is the intention of this team? City and Arsenal have showed the best team control possession.

Ten Hag said this plan is to make Untied the "world best transitional team"....
Ten Hag’s plan to make United world's best transitional team - The Athletic

Is this because he knows he doesnt have the players to control possession? Or does he not know how to coach a team to hold the ball?

When will people start to realise there is obviously something wrong beyond who the manager is when like 6 managers have failed despite us spending a shitload of money?
Have you not seen Liverpool. They were in the exact position as we are in now but the moment they got Klopp everything turned around. Same for City.

Is his record that bad though?

Varan, Martinez, Casemiro and Onana are all good signings if you ask me.

The less said about Anthony the better.

Far too early to judge Mount and Hojland. Can’t say Mount isn’t worrying though.

He didn't sign Varane.

Casemiro is a short term business who's only going to be here for one more season max imo before going downhill, and we invested a lot of money into him.

In my opinion, the only business he did well for our future so far are Martinez and Onana, the others are either short term fixes or flops.

A poor performance (win or lose) against forest at home then bad losses to arsenal and brighten - will the pressure build on ETH?

There will be pressure for sure. But i cant see him being replaced any time soon. There are few alternatives.

We absolutely needed Kane and he bottled it. I'm not saying he needs to go or anything, far from it, he did wonders for us last season. But this is the one thing he's definitively got wrong.

The Mount signing was odd to me, but something I was prepared to give him the benefit of doubt on.

But honestly, we are crying out for a controlling midfielder. We don't have one and our insistence on keeping McTominay; even though he can't get a kick, means we could be in for a long season.

Would be disingenuous to suggest he doesn't have much money in the bank to retain his job as early into the season as you suggest.

We absolutely needed Kane and he bottled it. I'm not saying he needs to go or anything, far from it, he did wonders for us last season. But this is the one thing he's definitively got wrong.
There was maybe a 1 percent chance levy would've sold Kane to united, and even if he would have it would have been the entire budget easily on that.

The idea of appointing Rangnick as interim manager was that he’d play the DoF football role the next season. Even after we appointed EtH that seemed to be the plan. But out of nowhere we decided to get rid of Rangnick and handed over the transfer reins to EtH. I don’t want Rangnick back as a manager but someone with a football background to run transfers.
Rangnick was not goimg to be the DOF, don't change history. His job was as consultant because we already have Murtough as DOF.

My doubt started when United signed Mason Mount.
Even James Maddison would make more sense than fecking Mount
We got fecking pummelled on multiple occasions last season, to direct rivals and doubts started because we signed Mount? We haven't played good football since we beat Barcelona.

I am genuinely starting to feel it's a coaching issue at this stage. When players cannot pass or retain the ball while teams on a fraction of our budget do it much easily, it has to point to the manager and coaching staff.
Of course it is if you see no movement you know its not coached much. he's not a possession interested coach

I think the pundits were right at half time.

seems very odd that ETH has just tried to clone peps system from last year.

I can’t think of a single person in the squad that the systems suits.
  • completely isolates Casemiro, who needs legs round him. You can just walk straight through the midfield
  • The two 8s just get in each others way. Bruno looked miles better when Mount went off
  • Tucking Shaw inside completely nullifies one of our main attacking threats
  • The wingers never have overlaps, meaning they are constantly doubled up on, and create nothing.
If we sign a decent midfielder (Amrabat??) who can lock down a place alongside Casemiro, I predict that ETH will persevere with this for a few more uninspiring games, before we settle down into our usual 4231 for the rest of the season, with Mount becoming yet another insanely expensive bench warmer.

let’s have it right… this is how it’s gonna end up.

he has gambled an entire summer window and strategy on a system that isn’t gonna work.

4231 by October with Mount a bit part player. I’d bet my house on it.

What is the intention of this team? City and Arsenal have showed the best team control possession.

Ten Hag said this plan is to make Untied the "world best transitional team"....
Ten Hag’s plan to make United world's best transitional team - The Athletic

Is this because he knows he doesnt have the players to control possession? Or does he not know how to coach a team to hold the ball?
I think he’s looking at the percentages and the shortest route to a competitive team. So working with what he has and planning within a realistic budget, knowing that most top players aren’t very keen to come here at the moment.

We lost the first 2 games last year. He got us third and won a cup in his first season last year… typical knee jerk comment..

It sure is knee jerk. I trust him. Just very sad with the sale of the club situation and MG situation. Hopefully those situations will be resolved soon.

You can bet on it that he will hype the first half for the "positives", should have scored two goals and a penalty. 2nd half had some negatives, but we'll improve.

The amount of time you and others mention "3rd and League Cup" as if this is the peak of Manchester United is embarrassing.

He got top 4 and won the least important trophy in England.. so ? Have some shame and stop mentioning this as the utmost success.

And anyway, the team has been going downhill ever since that goddamn League Cup you're so proud of.

Status
Not open for further replies.