Erik ten Hag | 2022/23 & 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
They expect the manager to do what they do in FIFA on easy mode or last year's FM with the in-game editor, foreknowledge of all the best wonderkids and a plug and play engine-breaking tactic someone else came up with. Buy top wonderkids for bargain bin prices, have all of the transfers pan out immediately and challenge for the title from matchweek 1, as if that's at all easy or even possible in reality. There is literally nothing anyone could realistically do to run this club without these people pissing and shitting the bed about it 24/7. Any player who isn't world class immediately is shite, and if they cost more than they would have 20 years ago it's a bad purchase. If we don't buy the specific player they personally decided we needed from scouting youtube compilations, it's a terrible purchase and the player is shite unless he scores a goal every match.

The Glazers basically deal with managers the way most fans want them to: first year top 4, title challenge thereafter or you're sacked even if the squad is mediocre, even if you're also expected to completely change the play style. At the same time everyone wonders why every manager makes desperate purchases, spending the entire transfer budget every year even on transfers which are terrible value. The answer is that because you get sacked at the first sign of trouble, every point in the league is life and death. There is no point waiting until a later window for a better value purchase or selling a player a little bit early for a bigger budget in the next window, because if you lose a few matches that you would have won instead of spending way too much money on a stopgap solution, you still get sacked and the next manager gets to spend that money instead.

The "We need a DoF" crowd are also clueless, and you can tell from the way they talk about it. They're furious with every player purchased if there's even a hint of the manager having a say in it. The would prefer that we lock the manager in a sensory deprivation chamber during the transfer windows and only buy players he doesn't want. They also ignore that United have had DoF's for a while, Woodward and Murtough. A DoF is just a management structure, it's no guarantee of success, DoF's can make mistakes and be incompetent just like managers can, and they will also act in their own short term interests if you give them an incentive to do so.

Even with all this in mind, EtH and Murtough's transfers haven't been skewed to the short term. Casemiro and Eriksen are older but all the other transfers in are younger players. A few of them have failed to hit the ground running but still have a chance to improve. I think Mount is a pretty shrewd signing for a role that, if we didn't already need with Eriksen slowing down so much, we would have needed next season and for which we would have had to pay a lot more. Too many people here have decided that we have to play with 2 holding midfielders despite no other top teams doing it, and it's still an option anyways when Mainoo recovers from his injury. Onana already looks very good, and we got him for a relative bargain (look at what Kepa and Alisson went for, and they were purchased years ago). I'm glad we didn't get tied up in the Caicedo bidding war and I can almost guarantee the wages and term that Caicedo gets for Chelsea along with that ridiculous fee would have been the subject of intense ridicule had United paid it, even from the posters here who are so convinced we needed to buy him.

:lol: best post I've read in a while. You hit the nail on the head especially in regards to the DoF situation.

What do you expect him to say?

"Look lads, We're completely fecked this season and our squad is shit. We are about 3-4 players away from really competing because the players I have at my disposal are not really good enough. My bosses are crap and I need the GDP of a small country this window in order to fix the problems we have." Obviously he isn't going to say this. No manager, unless you're really toxic like Jose Mourinho is going to openly say the team isn't good enough in the public domain. Do you think relegation candidate managers need to come out and say "Well boys I don't think we'll survive this season, the players are not good enough?"

He's working with what he has, and has to manage both up and down. He has to manager the players and the team underneath as well as politically keep the people above him happy and match their expectations and negotiate for the resources. You cannot expect him to be 100% truthful in public to the media.

Sounds like you make that out to be a mistake. I suggest we take a seat and wait and see how this turns out :lol:

Personally they were signings we could afford to make IF we had Chelsea like finances but with a budget we should have looked for more cost effective options

Yeah inside he's fuming about no backup CB or second midfielder but has to hide it for cameras
Yeah and rightly so, you need a strong squad to compete. ue to our mediocre business this summer, top 4 has to be the target again - title challenge just isnt realistic which is f'ing frustrating. If we could go far in the CL it would be a step.

Yeah and rightly so, you need a strong squad to compete. ue to our mediocre business this summer, top 4 has to be the target again - title challenge just isnt realistic which is f'ing frustrating. If we could go far in the CL it would be a step.

I think we can safely say there won't be any January business UNLESS takeover materialises in November but can't see it unfortunately

I think we can safely say there won't be any January business UNLESS takeover materialises in November but can't see it unfortunately
It’s like being slowly strangled to death. There is no ambition, ETH will do well to get top 4 again. We should have Pavard and Amrabat in place of McT and Maguire.

Meanwhile other clubs are breaking rules to get the best players in and straining every fibre of their being to win. The above suggested moves would actually be a net gain financially. fecking joke - we will end up losing both players for no money.

These owners do not want to win. They find excuses not to invest money. Literally impossible to be the best with that backdrop.

Competitors meanwhile are doing all they can to be the best (see Chelsea ambition). Living on a prayer.

These owners do not want to win. They find excuses not to invest money. Literally impossible to be the best with that backdrop.

Competitors meanwhile are doing all they can to be the best (see Chelsea ambition). Living on a prayer.

Yeah feels a terrible thing to say but this club is slowly dying and they couldn't care less

If only he would shit his pants as loudly and publicly as you do, we wouldn't be in this mess!
We really would be in a mess, the washing machines would be on overtime and there would be a cleaning fluid shortage

Yeah feels a terrible thing to say but this club is slowly dying and they couldn't care less
That’s how it is I’m afraid. I don’t agree with Chelsea spending but they are fecking going for it. Feels like United fanbase have been gaslit for years. We will never win the PL/CL under this ownership. We can do nothing though.

To be the best without the ambition to be the same is an impossibility - Simple. As. That.

This whole transfer window and the start of the season has been somewhat calamitous. Before the end of the season we were very hopeful of just needing to fine tune our starting eleven with 3 signings and we would be ready to challenge. I strongly believe these three signings would have made us title challengers (Onana, Kane and Caicedo).

We got Onana but for others we opted for Mount and Hojlund, with the jury still out on Hojlund and how he will adapt to the league and will he score enough goals. I think in the long term, he will turn out to be a good signing, he has all the attributes needed to be top Striker, but probably not fine tuned enough to be leading the role of the ST at Manutd at this stage.

For Mount, I can never comprehend this signing, It makes no sense to sign an AM and somebody who is never known to control the game in anyway, plus somebody who is similar to Bruno and weak in challenges. Even in his best games, he is best used closer to the box with his touches and link up and ability to score.

The dilemma for us is, he is not better than Eriksen if we play him slightly closer to Casemiro and never known to control the tempo, whereas he is not as productive as Bruno, if we use Bruno further back and allow him to play AM.

We have actually weakened our side in terms of midfield. Hopefully we get Amrabat soon, otherwise we would be pretty exposed in the midfield.

In every Top club midfield in the premier league you are seeing players one DM (Rice, Caicedo, Rodri, Endo) and then one midfielder who is also good at the defensive side of the game, plus ability to run up and down (City uses a CB alongside Rodri, Arsenal Partey or Xhaka last season, Chelsea will use Lavia/Enzo and Liverpool Mcallister).

All of these teams look very balanced, whereas we look very open and if the plan was to be the best transition team, even then you needed players who would press, but also get the ball, in both of these metrics Mount and Bruno sucks and they seem like headless chickens easy to pass by, as they are neither physical or possess tackling ability.

Hopefully things get better slightly with Amrabat signing, otherwise we have shot ourselves in the foot and Ten Hag will have a lot to answer for his use of transfer window with such a good first season.

Unless a major injury occurs, we ain't getting any more players in and even then it might be questionable. The thing is, Casemiro shouldn't be alone DM, but it doesn't require to play someone beside him but a tactical setup where someone from the defensive line steps in beside him to play inverted and control the game. A lot of teams play like that now and it's the way how to control the midfield.

The poor cnut must be praying for a takeover to get done. Don't know how much more of the Glazers he'll be able to stomach.

I think he has been given backing, he has used the money poorly specially on Antony and Mount. We have used around 140 to 150M on these two players. With obvious flaws for players in their positions. Antony can't beat his man from standing position, he does not have a right foot, which is extremely critical for a winger, as it gives you an option to go both sides and even with average pace like he has, it can still work.

Whereas for Mount, everybody knows his issues and I have covered them in detail in the Ten Hag thread.

Hopefully for our sake the turn out to be good signings and we don't have to spend another 120M to replace the duds our manager handpicked.

I an curious what United fans think of the way United play more than anything else. Disregarding transfers and all of that.

Last season you could certainly see some improvement in your style compared to previous seasons. It was clear players had instructions to play out from the back and mind you this didn’t always work of course (even Pep took a season or two to really drill it into his City side). The pressing however I feel has been disjointed, allowing huge gaps between the attack/midfield that can be exploited. And again: these things take time and of course the right players to properly execute. As for attacking: much more direct compared to like LvG United, but I guess this is also partly due to Bruno who launches everything he can.

What are the expectations when it comes to how United play this season? What would be a ‘success’ for you? Even if the results might not be as desired. Klopp and Pep took some time to make it all click, but you could see their teams really developing the style of play they want almost game by game.

I an curious what United fans think of the way United play more than anything else. Disregarding transfers and all of that.

Last season you could certainly see some improvement in your style compared to previous seasons. It was clear players had instructions to play out from the back and mind you this didn’t always work of course (even Pep took a season or two to really drill it into his City side). The pressing however I feel has been disjointed, allowing huge gaps between the attack/midfield that can be exploited. And again: these things take time and of course the right players to properly execute. As for attacking: much more direct compared to like LvG United, but I guess this is also partly due to Bruno who launches everything he can.

What are the expectations when it comes to how United play this season? What would be a ‘success’ for you? Even if the results might not be as desired. Klopp and Pep took some time to make it all click, but you could see their teams really developing the style of play they want almost game by game.
Last season except the first few matches we actually were able to keep the ball, push the opponents back to their box and largely control the game against most middle/bottom table teams. So of course I'd like to see more of the same this season. Of course with more chances and more goals.

However last season we're largely crap when we tried to play toe to toe against the top 6-7 teams especially away. I'd like to see us capable of going toe to toe with them this season if possible. Results don't really matter for me as long as we'd qualify for CL next season.

So much going on at the club which shouldn’t fall on the manager but will: Greenwood (why can’t we discuss this?), Antony and the ownership situation. The board will deflect all bad decisions and ETH will be the one who suffers the most. Given how poor we’ve played in pre-season and against Wolves, I feel we won’t kick in this season. It will be a huge pile on and ETH will be gone by Feb 2024.

Consistency is one of the many things have kept us from keeping up with the manager’s desired style and tactics. This goes back years but is still evident under ETH. We have decent players for every position. We could use a few more as alternates in certain positions. Our consistency with the starting 11 has been less than stellar. I’m talking about consistency of effort, quality on the ball, passing, defending, you know, the basics. We can be absolutely brilliant and pull off great performances one week and totally stink it up a week later, or do just enough to win or draw. Individually this is even more concerning. Some players not having just a rough day but rough weeks or months. I happy with last season for the most part considering it being ETH’s first season, a WC in the middle of season, and playing twice a week for the majority of the season. The players were knackered. Not just United of course. This season I expected us to strengthen convincingly in the areas we needed, GK, CB, MF, and CF. I think Onana is the best DDG replacement we could have gotten. Not convinced by Mount yet and feel he is not what we needed. Hojlund is a young prospect that hopefully develops into a world class CF for us but expecting instant success is asking too much. We needed a proven goal scorer to hit the ground running if we’re going to keep the pressure on City, Arsenal, Liverpool, and Chelsea. Hopefully he is ready for the big stage and gets his chances.

My expectations for this season are to see more consistency in our playing style and effort, week after week. If players seem off in training, I’d hope the manager will rotate more. I just fear he does not have the confidence in the squad players to do that which is why we see him stick with the same starting 11 most of the time.

I think he has been given backing, he has used the money poorly specially on Antony and Mount. We have used around 140 to 150M on these two players. With obvious flaws for players in their positions. Antony can't beat his man from standing position, he does not have a right foot, which is extremely critical for a winger, as it gives you an option to go both sides and even with average pace like he has, it can still work.

Whereas for Mount, everybody knows his issues and I have covered them in detail in the Ten Hag thread.

Hopefully for our sake the turn out to be good signings and we don't have to spend another 120M to replace the duds our manager handpicked.
What a load of bollocks. You can't draw conclusions when we are one game in.

What a fickle fanbase we have. Back the effing manager.

Unless a major injury occurs, we ain't getting any more players in and even then it might be questionable. The thing is, Casemiro shouldn't be alone DM, but it doesn't require to play someone beside him but a tactical setup where someone from the defensive line steps in beside him to play inverted and control the game. A lot of teams play like that now and it's the way how to control the midfield.

We seemingly aren't getting any more players because can't sell Donny or Scott to fund it

What a load of bollocks. You can't draw conclusions when we are one game in.

What a fickle fanbase we have. Back the effing manager.

Antony has been here for more than 1 season now. So I think we have seen enough to draw conclusions that his weaknesses are apparent to everybody and he would have to show incredible turnaround to be able to live up to 85m price tag or you are happy with his performances?

Antony has been here for more than 1 season now. So I think we have seen enough to draw conclusions that his weaknesses are apparent to everybody and he would have to show incredible turnaround to be able to live up to 85m price tag or you are happy with his performances?

Yeah the lack of using his right foot is huge issue

We seemingly aren't getting any more players because can't sell Donny or Scott to fund it
Yea, funding + actually need to add to squad. Atm Squad size is fine, whether certain positions are over stacked and some under, that's another story.

Yea, funding + actually need to add to squad. Atm Squad size is fine, whether certain positions are over stacked and some under, that's another story.

Definitely under in the case of strikers and midfielders (defensive and ball progressors)

Status
Not open for further replies.