Enzo Maresca - Chelsea manager - Sack watch

I don't believe it is standard 5 year contract.My understanding is that it is a two year contract with performance triggers for the next three. Chelsea just have to be different in every thing they do !

Yup, the 5 years is to amortize the release amount for him I think.

This move could either be genius or he gets sacked by Christmas.

he will fall out with them over transfers, he did it here last January, if they see him as a doormat they picked the wrong coach

The move makes sense. He'll have a slightly better chance fighting for survival with Chelsea than Leicester.

The other danger here is that Maresca basically just told the directors whatever they wanted to hear during the interview in terms of his ability to work with the squad.

Fab may be completely wrong with this story but if he's right I think its a bad sign. This guy is nowhere near the level needed, especially for tactics that need the GK involved in buildup. He lost the job under both De Zerbi and Poch for a reason. But it would be embarrassing to the sporting directors to admit that.

https://x.com/FabrizioRomano/status/1797646679480639810

Enzo will need a keeper who is outstanding with the ball at his feet, I haven't seen enough to truly just but wasn't Sanchez's lack of ability on the ball partly why Brighton dropped him?

2 key signings here were Hermansen who is outstanding ball at feet as well as a top shot stopper and a playmaking 6 in Winks, I don't know Chelsea's squad enough to know if they have players for those roles.

Ben Chilwell's days will be numbered as Enzo doesn't play with traditional full backs and I can't see Chilwell fitting the role of the full back who acts more like a CB or inverting into midfield.

It could revive Reece James though the same way it did with Ricardo here, a player who had been ravaged by injury benefitted so much from not having to sprint up and down the wing all game

I am surprised to see Leicester fans so bitter about this move.

He's walking into a pretty tough situation. He'll be expected to improve on Poch's season but he'll have to do while adapting to the PL, juggling European football, and trying to make the existing squad work for his positional play tactics. Both Pep and Arteta remade nearly their entire squads within a couple years of arriving at City/Arsenal, bringing in players with specific attributes that they believed could play their football. Chelsea can't do that and they won't do that. They've spent too much money on the current squad and the higher-up - both sporting directors and owners - have a lot personally invested in the current players working out. So what happens if Maresca comes to the conclusion that Enzo isn't the right player for any of the midfield roles in his setup? Or that neither Mudryk nor Nkunku really are ideal fits for any of the three forward positions? Will the club allow him to turn guys they spent hundreds of millions on into squad players? Maybe it all goes much more smoothly in terms of fitting the existing squad into his tactical setup but this is where there is potential for some real problems to arise.

I'm open minded about how it will play out. I don't think him doing really well would be a huge surprise, there is a lot of talent there in the abstract and he may be the guy to bring it together. But it'll be a tough challenge for sure.

I'd say between him, Potter and Poch, Maresca is walking into the most settled situation. He won't (I hope?) have to oversee a huge overhaul in the squad this summer and the group he has at his disposal is a group that have now been together for a little while. The players in the squad have been trickling in over the last 18 months - Enzo, Mudryk 18 months ago, Caicedo, Nkunku, Palmer, Jackson 12 months ago. So it's kind of a settled squad now.

It's a challenge of course, and you're right expectations now should be to improve on Poch's work. At least that's my expectations. He has to get top 4 minimum. Some might say that's a tall order, and unfair to lump that on a novice like Maresca but he's taken the job, the team finished 6th last season (one swing result away from 4th place, I might add) and the squad will remain relatively the same, so we can't go back to just hoping for top 6 again.

If he thinks he can't find the right set up for none of Enzo, Mudryk and Nkunku then there's already a problem with the coach. It's fair enough if Enzo was the odd man out in Maresca's midfield, or if there was no space for Mudryk in the attack, but 3 big money signings? That would be unacceptable. One, maybe but three? Perez wouldn't accept a coach walking into Madrid and deeming Alphonso Davies, Camavinga and Bellingham unfit for his system for example. The coach would be asked to make it work and I think that would be a fair standard to set.

I think between Maresca, McKenna and Thomas Frank, I'd have preferred Maresca but truthfully speaking, he's a complete novice and his biggest challenge will be getting the players to buy what he's selling and getting the fans onside.

Last edited:
The other danger here is that Maresca basically just told the directors whatever they wanted to hear during the interview in terms of his ability to work with the squad.

Fab may be completely wrong with this story but if he's right I think its a bad sign. This guy is nowhere near the level needed, especially for tactics that need the GK involved in buildup. He lost the job under both De Zerbi and Poch for a reason. But it would be embarrassing to the sporting directors to admit that.

Don't agree with this - Sanchez is above average on the ball; comfortably better than Petrovic. Also far more active outside the area. He's prone to the odd brain-fart but what keeper isn't?

Enzo will need a keeper who is outstanding with the ball at his feet, I haven't seen enough to truly just but wasn't Sanchez's lack of ability on the ball partly why Brighton dropped him?

2 key signings here were Hermansen who is outstanding ball at feet as well as a top shot stopper and a playmaking 6 in Winks, I don't know Chelsea's squad enough to know if they have players for those roles.

Ben Chilwell's days will be numbered as Enzo doesn't play with traditional full backs and I can't see Chilwell fitting the role of the full back who acts more like a CB or inverting into midfield.

It could revive Reece James though the same way it did with Ricardo here, a player who had been ravaged by injury benefitted so much from not having to sprint up and down the wing all game

Harsh to call it lack of ability - De Zerbi just went all in on Steele who is a world class passer of the ball without being particularly good at anything else relevant to goalkeeping. If Maresca is equally dogmatic then perhaps an upgrade is needed there but they can always unfreeze CL double winner Kepa...

Playmaking 6 in theory should be Lavia - who of course has ties to Maresca given they overlapped at City.

also forgot the CB who ends up in the middle of the back 3 when on the ball needs to be exceptional on the ball, he will have it a hell of a lot, whilst the wider 2 need to be good on the ball but its not as key

it'll be 433 when defending and 3241 when on the ball

I'd say between him, Potter and Poch, Maresca is walking into the most settled situation. He won't (I hope?) have to oversee a huge overhaul in the squad this summer and the group he has at his disposal is a group that have now been together for a little while. The players in the squad have been trickling in over the last 18 months - Enzo, Mudryk 18 months ago, Caicedo, Nkunku, Palmer, Jackson 12 months ago. So it's kind of a settled squad now.

It's a challenge of course, and you're right expectations now should be to improve on Poch's work. At least that's my expectations. He has to get top 4 minimum. Some might say that's a tall order, and unfair to lump that on a novice like Maresca but he's taken the job, the team finished 6th last season (one swing result away from 4th place, I might add) and the squad will remain relatively the same, so we can't go back to just hoping for top 6 again.

If he thinks he can't find the right set up for none of Enzo, Mudryk and Nkunku then there's already a problem with the coach. It's fair enough if Enzo was the odd man out in Maresca's midfield, or if there was no space for Mudryk in the attack, but 3 big money signings? That would be unacceptable. One, maybe but three? Perez wouldn't accept a coach walking into Madrid and deeming Alphonso Davies, Camavinga and Bellingham unfit for his system for example. The coach would be asked to make it work and I think that would be a fair standard to set.

I think between Maresca, McKenna and Thomas Frank, I'd have preferred Maresca but truthfully speaking, he's a complete novice and his biggest challenge will be getting the players to buy what he's selling and getting the fans onside.

To be clear, I wasn't necessarily predicting that it wouldn't work with those players, just noting that he'll have to take a different path than Guardiola and Arteta who built their own squads and that it was a potential source of friction.

You're absolutely right about Perez but that's Real Madrid's culture: They build a great squad and they bring in managers who are pretty flexible in their tactical visions who are expected to work within those parameters. I think Guardiola disciples tend to be different in that they have a very strong vision of how they want to play and sometimes you have very good players who just don't have the attributes or don't want to conform to that system.

Its very possible that I'm overindexing Arteta's experience at Arsenal and that you can come from a similar tactical background but don't have to be quite so specific about the kinds of players you want.

We'll see mate, my point was just that it isn't really stupid decision on his part.
Not a stupid decision at all. Starting the season with a points deduction & a very small budget or double/triple his salary with lots of quality players to choose from.
It was a no brainer !!

Not a stupid decision at all. Starting the season with a points deduction & a very small budget or double/triple his salary with lots of quality players to choose from.
It was a no brainer !!
we aren't going to start with a points deduction it won't be done anywhere near in time, the process can't even start until the AGM when we get our prem share back if its done before Christmas I'll be surprised, we are under the old system not the fast track version

we aren't going to start with a points deduction it won't be done anywhere near in time, the process can't even start until the AGM when we get our prem share back if its done before Christmas I'll be surprised, we are under the old system not the fast track version
Whether it’s on the first day of the season or the last we will be getting points deducted so I should have said “starting the season knowing there will be a points deduction “
My Apologies

I'm not even certain they will be the club at least at one point disputed being over

I’m not bitter at all. It requires top class players to play Pep/Enzo football and we don’t have them or the money to buy them. My suspicion is that we were going to take a beating most weekends playing Enzo ball. He should do well at Chelsea if he can avoid the politics

You of course may turn out to be right but how do you know he is nowhere near the level needed ? What is that based on ? Experience or getting Leicester promoted?

Leicester have significantly gambled in the way that they tried to play firstly the EFL by claiming that the rules meant that they, LCFC, didn’t have to supply a business plan by 31/12 only to be required to submit one by 31/3.

The view has been that come the AGM (PL) the embargo will be lifted and of course that could be the case but if the two leagues agree then the dispute between The EFL and the PL could be passed to the PL to deal with

https://resources.premierleague.com...a/PL_Handbook_2023-24_DIGITAL_26.02.24-v3.pdf

Page 141 rule E79.

Bear in mind that LCFC already have one charge to face that being failure to supply accounts

Looks like someone has photoshopped Jack Grealish's face onto Guardiola's head
Cupace20240603192910268.png

You of course may turn out to be right but how do you know he is nowhere near the level needed ? What is that based on ? Experience or getting Leicester promoted?

I was referring to Sanchez not Maresca.

Maybe Chelsea fans see it differently but Sanchez has looked really shaky to me.

I'm not.

He did the job he was tasked with, got a better offer and took it. Would've liked to have him this season as a manager but that's football.

I was referring to Sanchez not Maresca.

Maybe Chelsea fans see it differently but Sanchez has looked really shaky to me.
Every Chelsea supporter thinks Sanchez is really shaky.. We don't just think it we see it everytime he plays, he throws or kicks the ball directly to the opposition just outside our penalty box and he does it at least twice every game ... ..= awful

I'm not.

He did the job he was tasked with, got a better offer and took it. Would've liked to have him this season as a manager but that's football.
He did what most folk would have done. He got a better job !!

I said it a few days ago, but if he wants a keeper good with his feet then he had a good option in Sanchez. If you've only seen him for Chelsea, making mistakes, then you wouldn't think so. But he caught my eye at Brighton for his ability with the ball. He had an amazing game against us in particular a couple of seasons ago. I think he fell out of favour with RDZ because they had a disagreement in training, but he was back in the team by the end of the season and played the FA Cup semi final against us, if I recall correctly.

@Carl I believe Maresca is known as Bald Lego Pep. The title should be updated.

@Carl I believe Maresca is known as Bald Lego Pep. The title should be updated.

Chiefs and Chelsea? You sure know how to pick em..

Edit: I can't see a single Bald Lego Pep reference on Twitter. I'm changing it back. Also, how the hell does that even make sense?? :lol:

Last edited:
I don’t think Chelsea bought the players for this style. They have a lot of strong, runners but quite a lot of their players have a poor touch and aren’t technically incredible.

Even when it does work, it’s really boring. I don’t think he will last very long.

I don’t think Chelsea bought the players for this style. They have a lot of strong, runners but quite a lot of their players have a poor touch and aren’t technically incredible.

Even when it does work, it’s really boring. I don’t think he will last very long.

I don’t think you have to be technically incredible to play a solid part in a well structured possession side. Who are the players you think have a poor touch? Can only think of Mudryk, and maybe Jackson, but he’s actually pretty decent, just hit and miss at times.