Enzo Maresca - Chelsea manager - Sack watch

In a vacuum, if Chelsea were a different club, I wouldn't have any concerns about going for someone like Maresca. Slightly outside of the box but if they feel his ideas fits with the squad and his personality fits with the club, then cool, we move. The problem here isn't Maresca and whether he's good enough to get Chelsea competing at the top. It's whether Chelsea have the bollocks to persevere through the growing pains.

They keep saying they want a manager who can buy into a long term project but if they don't then show the required patience for a long term project, then it's nothing but empty talk and then they might as well go after the tried and tested experienced managers, put half the current squad on the transfer list and bring in 10 experienced players who have won elsewhere. We might not win like that but we have a better chance of not falling out of hte top 3 and winning some cups here and there, and maybe we catch fire one season and win the title. If it's not empty talk, then back the manager they've chosen, stick by him if he struggles and let's see where we are 18-24 months from now.

I think Winstanley & Lawrence are going to stand by Maresca. He's 100% their choice to become the new manager and they're also the ones who have decided on handing him a 5 year contract.

The main question is whether Eghbali is a patient man. If things go bad, the owners might get trigger happy and decide to get rid of not just Maresca but the sporting directors as well which could further reinforce the directors' willingness to make it work. I don't see a scenario where Maresca is deemed a massive failure and gets sacked within a year but Winstanley and Lawrence walk away unscathed.

They've probably brought him on board because he has a cool-ass name. Proper F1 driver in the 1990s kinda name.

It does feel like empty talk and I'd find it hard as a fan to trust the club at all or anything they say. I feel also that in regards to the project, you can only persevere growing pains for so long.

But they've fully committed to the long term project in every sense except when it comes to backing the manager. They spent a billion on a bunch of U21 players. They keep giving these long term contracts to inexperienced managers at the top level, and just like young players, young managers need time to find their feet too. It makes no sense to hire an inexperienced manager, give him a 5 year contract and then bottle it when the times comes to stick by him through a bit of turbulence.

But they've fully committed to the long term project in every sense except when it comes to backing the manager. They spent a billion on a bunch of U21 players. They keep giving these long term contracts to inexperienced managers at the top level, and just like young players, young managers need time to find their feet too. It makes no sense to hire an inexperienced manager, give him a 5 year contract and then bottle it when the times comes to stick by him through a bit of turbulence.

That's what I mean though, perhaps something has to give and instead of going for an inexperienced manager you go back to a Poch type appointment of someone who is experienced and can build a project (perhaps like De Zerbi?). I think you'll get to a point where you find balance in the madness, it will just be very turbulent!

They have Sanchez, though I'm not sure where he's been all season.
Sanchez didn't look good when it came to his distribution & Maresca has to have a ball playing keeper. They still have Kepa Arrizabalaga on the books as well as Marcus Bettinelli & Djordje Petrovic..They will need to sell before they can buy

Exactly. Why even do this? He'll happily come on a 2 year contract. It's like they want to deliberately send a message to everyone.

This appointment is Ole minus the nepotism part.

probably won’t last until Christmas.

Let’s give him a benefit of a doubt it’s no doubt risky move but why the hell 5 years contract ?

5+1 years contract is quite long so they should stick with him even if it doesn't look great in 1st season.

This appointment is Ole minus the nepotism part.

probably won’t last until Christmas.

Let’s give him a benefit of a doubt it’s no doubt risky move but why the hell 5 years contract ?
I don't believe it is standard 5 year contract.My understanding is that it is a two year contract with performance triggers for the next three. Chelsea just have to be different in every thing they do !

Seriously looks like a photocopy of a photocopy of a photocopy of a picture of Pep, aged an extra 10 years.

Anyway, he'll be gone in 24 months or less. It's Chelsea.

Sanchez didn't look good when it came to his distribution & Maresca has to have a ball playing keeper. They still have Kepa Arrizabalaga on the books as well as Marcus Bettinelli & Djordje Petrovic..They will need to sell before they can buy

Sanchez had a rough start, much like his fellow Brighton teammates Caicedo and Cucurella. The three impressed me a lot at Brighton, and the latter two started to show their quality at Chelsea towards the end. I think Sanchez will too, he's a really good ball playing GK but he probably needs to settle a bit at Chelsea, if he's given the chance.

I don't believe it is standard 5 year contract.My understanding is that it is a two year contract with performance triggers for the next three. Chelsea just have to be different in every thing they do !
That makes sense if it is structured like this.

I only saw 5 years with an option for further 1..

Really feel the title of this thread should include 'Diet Pep' like the Arteta one does 'Lego Pep'.

Interesting that Chelsea keep giving managers 5 year deals, with what's gone on with Potter and Poch, surely it would have made sense to give him a 3 year deal?

5 + 1 year deal.

Makes no sense when they rarely have a manager longer than 2 years :lol: A 2 year contract with a 1 year addition would have been better and they’d have been able to see if they’ve made progress within 2 year. But if they like wasting money so be it

Really is the battle of the baldys this season with him. Pep, Slot, ETH. My missing anyone?

Interesting that Chelsea keep giving managers 5 year deals, with what's gone on with Potter and Poch, surely it would have made sense to give him a 3 year deal?

Poch only had a 2 year deal in fairness.

You'd think surely there are some break clauses (based on league position etc) in this new dudes 5 year contract. Clearlake can't be that silly, can they?

Poch only had a 2 year deal in fairness.

You'd think surely there are some break clauses (based on league position etc) in this new dudes 5 year contract. Clearlake can't be that silly, can they?

I have no idea, it just seems silly to do that. I honestly can't put anything against American owners. I have seen our Americans make alot of decisions thinking they cant be that silly?

I thought he was smarter than this, but if he doesn't want to be here feck him

I have no idea, it just seems silly to do that. I honestly can't put anything against American owners. I have seen our Americans make alot of decisions thinking they cant be that silly?

They gave Poch a "2+1", seems bonkers that they'd give this relative rando a 5 year deal without a break clause.

You never know though.

I thought he was smarter than this, but if he doesn't want to be here feck him

Aren’t you guys rumoured to be waiting for some kind of points deduction for next season? At least that’s what the Leicester fans on twitter have been talking about for a while. I can see why he perhaps wouldn’t want to start next season with a big handicap for reasons completely beyond his control especially when a club like Chelsea is offering him a way out.

Aren’t you guys rumoured to be waiting for some kind of points deduction for next season? At least that’s what the Leicester fans on twitter have been talking about for a while. I can see why he perhaps wouldn’t want to start next season with big handicap for reasons completely beyond his control especially when a club like Chelsea is offering him a way out.
Well probably get one but it won't happen before the start of the season

Let the battle of the baldies commence.

Well probably get one but it won't happen before the start of the season

But it’s something hanging over your heads going into the season, so yeah I kind of get it, even if he is walking into a basket case of a club, but at least with us the reward is greater if he gets it right vs the risk he’s taking, which really isn’t that high.

Really is the battle of the baldys this season with him. Pep, Slot, ETH. My missing anyone?
F-lTlaOXoAAWxgt

But it’s something hanging over your heads going into the season, so yeah I kind of get it, even if he is walking into a basket case of a club, but at least with us the reward is greater if he gets it right vs the risk he’s taking, which really isn’t that high.
There's every chance you'll sack him before our points deduction is resolved either way

He's walking into a pretty tough situation. He'll be expected to improve on Poch's season but he'll have to do while adapting to the PL, juggling European football, and trying to make the existing squad work for his positional play tactics. Both Pep and Arteta remade nearly their entire squads within a couple years of arriving at City/Arsenal, bringing in players with specific attributes that they believed could play their football. Chelsea can't do that and they won't do that. They've spent too much money on the current squad and the higher-up - both sporting directors and owners - have a lot personally invested in the current players working out. So what happens if Maresca comes to the conclusion that Enzo isn't the right player for any of the midfield roles in his setup? Or that neither Mudryk nor Nkunku really are ideal fits for any of the three forward positions? Will the club allow him to turn guys they spent hundreds of millions on into squad players? Maybe it all goes much more smoothly in terms of fitting the existing squad into his tactical setup but this is where there is potential for some real problems to arise.

I'm open minded about how it will play out. I don't think him doing really well would be a huge surprise, there is a lot of talent there in the abstract and he may be the guy to bring it together. But it'll be a tough challenge for sure.

We'll see mate, my point was just that it isn't really stupid decision on his part.
He doesn't have the CV Potter had to survive and other clubs won't look fondly on the way he acted leaving Leicester basically campaigning for the job