Enzo Maresca - Chelsea manager - Sack watch

I guess the big gamble from the club is that his style of football translates well to a much higher caliber of player than what Leicester has. The Leicester players all seem to say his methods are amazing so I guess we have to give him a fair chance before shitting on him from the moment he is announced.

Just need to give him a new primary striker, a CB to replace Silva, and a ball playing keeper. Get those 3 things and there’s zero excuse whatsoever to not finish top 4.
I don't think a new keeper is needed, what is needed is to sort out the shambles in defence.Whenever the opposition attacks they always have 2 unmarked players in the penalty box, it is ridiculous and it's been the same for 2 seasons at least..

All I can see now is Arteta with his head shaved. I want that to happen so badly.

F-lTlaOXoAAWxgt.jpg:small

#baldfraud

This is one of the strangest appointments I've seen in a very long time. What on Earth are they thinking?

They're only going for him because I've put £1 on it being De Zerbi

This is one of the strangest appointments I've seen in a very long time. What on Earth are they thinking?
I think it’s honestly as simple as: Pep is the best coach in the world. Arteta is one of the best coaches in the world who learned directly under Pep and has Arsenal playing dominant football. Maresca also worked under Pep and plays a similar style so he will surely become our Arteta.

It feels very much like the NFL here in America. When there is an amazing/highly influential coach who has a lot of success you’ll see every NFL owner who has a coaching vacancy try to find “the next ___” by hiring their assistants. So it’s no surprise at all that our American ownership would try it here.

Massive massive massive gamble. And I’ve never met a patient Chelsea fan.

Interesting appointment.
It appears there's a growing trend of 'big clubs' looking to the lower leagues for managers with potential, just like clubs looking for players with potential.
I mean, look at the clubs that Mckenna is being linked with.

I don't think this appointment is as strange as Bayern looking at Kompany though.
As has already been mentioned, maybe clubs are looking for the next Pep by hiring anyone that has worked alongside him.
if it's paying off for Arsenal then some clubs are bound to explore other, similar opportunities.

i hope it pays off for them given the risk involved.

When Pep leaves, Maresca can silently snoop into City and it'll be as if Pep never left. By god, the resemblance is so striking!

I don't think a new keeper is needed, what is needed is to sort out the shambles in defence.Whenever the opposition attacks they always have 2 unmarked players in the penalty box, it is ridiculous and it's been the same for 2 seasons at least..
Maresca type football requires a ball playing keeper

Could be a good appointment. They're going south America heavy which suits the physicality of the premier league

This would be interesting. Much better than the same tried and tested names doing the rounds. A youngish team with a up and coming young manager seems to be in vogue. So, why not?

Now that Thiago Silva has gone, we only have 2 south americans anywhere near the first team.
I must have been fooled by all the transfer links I guess. I thought there was an article suggesting something similar too, or maybe it's mainly the focus of your youth and transfer setup.

Boehly must have finally gotten around to studying the history of Abramovich's Chelsea and figured that you can put any random clueless gimp in charge, and the squad will just manage themselves and get 2nd and a CL final at worst.
Mid 2024 and people still think Beohly calls the shots.

Mid 2024 and people still think Beohly calls the shots.
He who writes the cheques ultimately has responsibility no matter which way you Chelsea bros spin it. The buck stops with him.

He who writes the cheques ultimately has responsibility no matter which way you Chelsea bros spin it. The buck stops with him.

But he doesn't even write the cheques, that's the point. Behdad Eghbali of Clearlake Capital is the one with all that power.

Boehly has barely even been involved in running the club over the last 18 months and at this point his influence is minimal. Since 2023 January it's been Eghbali who's been heavily involved with player signings, managerial hiring and firing etc. together with the sporting directors Winstanley & Lawrence. When someone still calls out Boehly for anything happening around the club it automatically makes their opinion worth less because they've just confirmed they haven't been paying attention.

To make a comparison, claiming Boehly is still making the decisions is basically the same as claiming the Glazers are still the head honchos of the sporting side at United and totally ignoring any INEOS involvement.

Last edited:
Ok ,sure. He has absolutely NOTHING to do with Chelsea. Nothing I tell you. Just a frontman. Let's leave it at that then
Yes because theres no middle ground between nothing and making all the decisions himself.

Tbf, Leicester fans have always been a bit spiky.

Hindsight is magical….

He was given 30% chances of promotion when the season started. To pretend anyone would have done it is complete and utter bs…. Do you know what the probabilities for City winning the PL were?

But at the same time winning in the Championship never guaranteed success in the PL. I think this will turn out a disaster for Chelsea.

championship-promotion-prediction.png

I think it's a mental appointment, if it was made by anyone but Chelsea I'd say it's intriguing, worth a punt, but knowing how they go about business, I'll be pretty surprised if it works out.

I think it's a mental appointment, if it was made by anyone but Chelsea I'd say it's intriguing, worth a punt, but knowing how they go about business, I'll be pretty surprised if it works out.

As usual with Chelsea the main question isn’t whether Maresca is a good manager or whether he fits with Chelsea as a club in general and this squad specifically. It’s whether Chelsea will show the sort of patience they re never shown before.

Though to be fair, if we’re hovering around 5th and 6th, positions that would have been sackable offences previously, Maresca might be somewhat safe. It shouldn’t be that hard to not have us faffing about in the bottom half. So we’ll see.

I just find it a strange appointment. It's going to be an incredibly competitive year to try and get top 4. You'd argue that the top 2 positions are secured by Arsenal and City but those last two are fair game and are going to be fought out between Villa, Spurs, United, Chelsea, Liverpool and Newcastle. There is always a surprise package/drop off side too. Chelsea I'd argue are in the strongest position due to their squad and form but the change of manager could hinder that and he's not the most impressive candidate either.

I just find it a strange appointment. It's going to be an incredibly competitive year to try and get top 4. You'd argue that the top 2 positions are secured by Arsenal and City but those last two are fair game and are going to be fought out between Villa, Spurs, United, Chelsea, Liverpool and Newcastle. There is always a surprise package/drop off side too. Chelsea I'd argue are in the strongest position due to their squad and form but the change of manager could hinder that and he's not the most impressive candidate either.

In a vacuum, if Chelsea were a different club, I wouldn't have any concerns about going for someone like Maresca. Slightly outside of the box but if they feel his ideas fits with the squad and his personality fits with the club, then cool, we move. The problem here isn't Maresca and whether he's good enough to get Chelsea competing at the top. It's whether Chelsea have the bollocks to persevere through the growing pains.

They keep saying they want a manager who can buy into a long term project but if they don't then show the required patience for a long term project, then it's nothing but empty talk and then they might as well go after the tried and tested experienced managers, put half the current squad on the transfer list and bring in 10 experienced players who have won elsewhere. We might not win like that but we have a better chance of not falling out of hte top 3 and winning some cups here and there, and maybe we catch fire one season and win the title. If it's not empty talk, then back the manager they've chosen, stick by him if he struggles and let's see where we are 18-24 months from now.

They have Sanchez, though I'm not sure where he's been all season.
Was injured for a long while. And not exactly convincing when he was fit.

Petrovic is a very solid young keeper who had a decent season. But he seems much more like the classic keeper rather than the pass master at the back that this new manager likes.

In a vacuum, if Chelsea were a different club, I wouldn't have any concerns about going for someone like Maresca. Slightly outside of the box but if they feel his ideas fits with the squad and his personality fits with the club, then cool, we move. The problem here isn't Maresca and whether he's good enough to get Chelsea competing at the top. It's whether Chelsea have the bollocks to persevere through the growing pains.

They keep saying they want a manager who can buy into a long term project but if they don't then show the required patience for a long term project, then it's nothing but empty talk and then they might as well go after the tried and tested experienced managers, put half the current squad on the transfer list and bring in 10 experienced players who have won elsewhere. Otherwise, back the manager they've chosen, stick by him if he struggles and let's see where we are 18-24 months from now.

It does feel like empty talk and I'd find it hard as a fan to trust the club at all or anything they say. I feel also that in regards to the project, you can only persevere growing pains for so long.

Was injured for a long while. And not exactly convincing when he was fit.

Petrovic is a very solid young keeper who had a decent season. But he seems much more like the classic keeper rather than the pass master at the back that this new manager likes.
Statistically only 5 or so keepers in the top leagues were worse than Petrovic.

I don't know where his hype is coming from, part of me wants to give him Poch tax but his metrics are damming, possibly worse than 19/20 Kepa.