Enzo Maresca - Chelsea manager - Sack watch

I don’t think you have to be technically incredible to play a solid part in a well structured possession side. Who are the players you think have a poor touch? Can only think of Mudryk, and maybe Jackson, but he’s actually pretty decent, just hit and miss at times.

Jackson, Mudryk, Madueke is very individualistic and unpredictable. Bar Colwill, I don’t think the CBs are overly comfortable with the ball.

I don’t think the CMs are built for that sort of possession football either. I just think it’s a poor fit for the players that were invested in.

It will be a struggle to play his way when we don't have the "technically incredible" players he had at Leicester.

I know what the intention of this was, but it actually proves the opposite. At Leicester he had technically superior players than the rest of the division, and he still almost messed it up by being so possession orientated and easy to defend against.

At Chelsea, I don’t think he has technically superior players to the rest of the league, I don’t think the players are particularly well-suited to his demands and I think his style of play is really boring.

Time will tell though.

It will be a struggle to play his way when we don't have the "technically incredible" players he had at Leicester.

It's relative though right? He had the best squad in the league.

"Technically incredible" is relative? If you say so!

You are being pedantic. If someone rucks up to 5 a side that had trials at Bradford, you know it. He would be technically “incredible” or superior to anyone else and it would show.

Leicester had a far superior squad, in terms of technical ability, to anyone in the Championship.

Jackson, Mudryk, Madueke is very individualistic and unpredictable. Bar Colwill, I don’t think the CBs are overly comfortable with the ball.

I don’t think the CMs are built for that sort of possession football either. I just think it’s a poor fit for the players that were invested in.

I guess I disagree with that assessment, especially of our CBs - Badiashile and Fofana are very comfortable on the ball. We’ll just have to wait and see. I don’t think Maresca’s football is so complex that a Chelsea squad full of, in my opinion, good technical players can’t fit in. Preseason isn’t far away, so we’ll get a first glimpse of this soon enough.

I guess I disagree with that assessment, especially of our CBs - Badiashile and Fofana are very comfortable on the ball. We’ll just have to wait and see. I don’t think Maresca’s football is so complex that a Chelsea squad full of, in my opinion, good technical players can’t fit in. Preseason isn’t far away, so we’ll get a first glimpse of this soon enough.

Yeah, it’s just an idea. Fofana might never be a player again and I don’t think Badiashile is great on the ball. Disasi is pretty terrible. Mudryk, Madueke and Jackson aren’t the type you want keeping possession.

I just think it’s a poor fit after where the money had been spent. Maybe I will take a top 4 wager from a Chelsea fan before the season starts! :p

I'll bet you a tenner that Chelsea finish above "technically incredible" Leicester heh.

You would be flying in the Championship with Chilwell/Cucurella as LB options. You should give it a go!

Chelsea did their best to feck up our season by recalling Casadei to never play him just as he was starting games with Ndidi out injured, we lost all our midfield depth and that sparked the collapse of form as we couldn't rotate and had Ndidi and Praet both out injured

I don't see a problem with your team playing Maresca type football. You have plenty of quality players capable of adapting to his system. I'm looking forward to watching the progression ....

Nice video. Interesting stuff. Am I wrong for saying Maresca gives me Tuchel vibes stylistically?

Tuchel is more versatile I'd say. Maresca more of a idealist at this stage of his career but if you mean they both love a deep lying playmaker - yes build up wise, pretty similar for sure.

Dont get the tactico discussion on this thread and relative to Leicesters players in there division to Chelseas.

This is Chelsea Abramovich or not,huge amounthasnt changed...just look at the list of managersnot stayed long under the new owners let alone Abranovich, high profile mangers that have managed far bigger clubs,he is up against it even doing well

Dont get the tactico discussion on this thread and relative to Leicesters players in there division to Chelseas.

This is Chelsea Abramovich or not,huge amounthasnt changed...just look at the list of managersnot stayed long under the new owners let alone Abranovich, high profile mangers that have managed far bigger clubs,he is up against it even doing well
Can you try posting this again but this time make sense?

So happy they got him in. From all managers, they got this guy. I would be shocked if he lasts a season

Despite their control of the ball his Leicester team was split and cut apart numerous times in the Championship with that suicide 4141 he used to play but the opposition didn't usually have enough quality to finish. It's different gravy in the Prem as they will be punished for leaving all that space and it's already showing in pre-season. He'll have to learn quick, Guardiola football in the Prem can only be played with Guardiola players.

Baffling hire, he wasn't that impressive at Leicester. Will be gone by Christmas.

Can you try posting this again but this time make sense?
Sure:

Sure:

Can you try posting this again but this time sober?

The thing with hiring/firing managers so much, especially when you hire managers who appear to be married to their systems and ideologies is that you inevitably have to start from square one again and we're now back to figuring out what works/doesn't work with the players we have.

I actually believe in Maresca more than I ever believed in Poch. I think he has something about him.

Can you try posting this again but this time sober?
This coming from the username Top1whoisman....no wonder you are struggling with it as there is possibility you might beTarzan with that name.

Seriously what is hard to understand. Tactical analysis of a Chelsea manager on here, that is a far smaller profile than excellent past managers that havent lasted long, he is up against it even with reasonable success...is that easier for you or should I get Cheetah to translate for you...ffs

Sure:

It appears your English is not very good and they aren't too arsed to point it out.

Sacked by end of season. To big of a job for him. If he plays suicidal tactics with an high line he’ll get battered in a few games. Reminds me of Emery at Villa.

Sacked by bonfire night

Poch is a great man manager and was finally uniting the team, one that had been thrown together so hastily. They were looking good and the players seemed to enjoy playing for him.

Just foolish to add another manager, another philosophy and yet more average players.

I think he is one of these system managers that will get absolutely thumped at times and they will be back to square one next summer.

It's okay, he's trying out stuff and see what sticks. Come the start of the season he will go back to a safer approach. He might have some ideas worth trying but he's going to pay the price for Potter and Poch's shitty stints if they don't instantly work.

I looked at the highlights from the Celtic-game - and going forward they looked good, but their defensive play is among the worst I have ever seen.

Just saw the scoreline. Holy shit.

I must say that Chelsea's fall has been a real highlight for me recently. Under Abramovich, even though they were constantly hiring and firing managers they seemed to annoyingly get it right almost every single time, whilst constantly winning trophies along the way. Seeing them finally start to get things wrong has been absolutely glorious.

Last edited:
No matter how successful or unsuccessful he is there, the only thing I can think about when I see him is how strikingly he looks like a morph of Guardiola and Jack Grealish.

And this is why we don’t post when we’re drunk.