Enzo Fernández | signs for Chelsea

Status
Not open for further replies.

Creating a plan to open talks, basically pick up the phone.

Who writes those tweets honestly. They make it out that the club is so incompetent they have to plan how to write an email to enquire about a player.

Or have a meeting in the boardroom with a whiteboard, ok first steps we want him, how do we talk to Benfica?

it simply isn’t.

You clearly haven’t seen the latest thread pointing it out in clear daylight. Why do you think now of all times the Glazers have decided to sell? it’s obviously been predicted and they’re getting out before the heat becomes too much.

with our current debt and outstanding payments we will fail FFP if we spend again.

we will now be limited to free transfers, very cheap deals. We will probably sell more than we buy.

Why do you think ETH keeps boldly stating must meet financial terms when talking about a transfer?
https://www.redcafe.net/threads/a-l...r-play-rules-on-man-utd.474688/#post-29914680

He has made quite a few errors in that thread.

Even if we did, then no matter what there is no way United are going to get properly punished with anything meaningful for voilating FFP.
A transfer ban? either way it means a period of no transfers.

Either through having to tighten purse strings or be forced into it.

We as fans have to face the facts, big transfer spending is over for a couple of years.

Even if we did, then no matter what there is no way United are going to get properly punished with anything meaningful for voilating FFP.
They kicked AC Milan, the 2nd most successful club in European history, out of the Europa League in 2019 for violating FFP. It would be utterly idiotic to take such a risk.

These talks won't last very long.

Man Utd : We have 24m to spend on Enzo.
Benfica : You're 94m short.
Man Utd : Oh well it was worth a bash thanks.

We empty our bank account as a down payment, then offer to leave him where he is until the summer, when hopefully the takeover is done and money won't be such an issue.

They kicked AC Milan, the 2nd most successful club in European history, out of the Europa League in 2019 for violating FFP. It would be utterly idiotic to take such a risk.

I have a short memory, but have City ever been properly punished with anything meaningful?

Correct. This year was a very particular advantage. They have no intention to be spending 400m + over two windows next year, two years from now, etc. That’s why it’s particularly astute to use this leeway period to stock up on future talents and clear bad contracts as well.

There are, of course, ways to show increased revenue streams in the future if needed though. For instance, Clearlake owns a cable steaming channel for Dodger and Laker games and content. They could attach Chelsea to that and “share” revenue.

How would that work considering the broadcasting rights to Chelsea games isn't sold individually as it is in US sports? I've wondered about this. I've heard both Boehly and Eghbali bring this subject up but rights to PL games are sold by the PL as a package that includes the entire league so how would they manage to rip Chelsea away from that structure in order to monetise it and turn it into a profitable revenue stream for the club?

Last edited:
ok that’s fair - but as pointed out in the thread, even if we get taken over by an arab state, we would need a big sponsorship to immediately offset the balance of spending.

we would need 2 years or so of being frugal to allow us to spend properly again without a big/fake sponsor.

Potentially they’ll just use the man city fake sponsor route instead, but everything is getting clamped down.

Yeah your post made it sound like renaming OT is literally the only way United can spend big money. It’s not. This two years of not spending is also pure speculation.

It’s not healthy to pass these things off as absolute fact when they are far from it.

A transfer ban? either way it means a period of no transfers.

Either through having to tighten purse strings or be forced into it.

We as fans have to face the facts, big transfer spending is over for a couple of years.

If City have avoided that then why can't we?

I can't see any scenario where a new owner comes in and won't want to spend money on new players.

I don't know about that. Every time Chelsea get a transfer ban they win the CL two seasons later.

If City have avoided that then why can't we?

I can't see any scenario where a new owner comes in and won't want to spend money on new players.

Yep. Look at Chelsea.

If anyone genuinely believes the club will be taken over and no money will be spent then they are very much mistaken.

Whoever purchases United will have a plan which will include investment in the squad, staff and infrastructure.

I have a short memory, but have City ever been properly punished with anything meaningful?

This comes down to the skill and intelligence of the ownership and front office.

So, for teams like this there are many, many options related to the fact they only need to show they are hitting FFP… they don’t actually NEED the revenue.

Different case with teams like AC Milan that are downright desperate for money. When they shade the books they do it by borrowing, or in the case of Juventus, committing straight fraud.

United just need to get their sale pushed through.

I tried pointing out/asking him about the most significant errors in the thread.
Just read it, I can only hope you are indeed correct then.

One thing is clear though, the Glazers HAVE to go and now. We need the debt cleared and the management need to get their heads screwed on.

Yep. Look at Chelsea.

If anyone genuinely believes the club will be taken over and no money will be spent then they are very much mistaken.

Whoever purchases United will have a plan which will include investment in the squad, staff and infrastructure.

Sorry, sent the first reply in haste, by that I assme you mean, look at Chelsea, as in they've spent loads since their takeover? And not about the transfer ban they had.

No idea either although I’m sure it was mentioned that they need to spend heavily now and very much taper it off in order to comply and maximise FFP.

Essentially they won’t do much spending after this initial splurge.

Bluelion hit on several of the contributing factors of how Chelsea is not running into problems with FFP. Another is the player development loophole. All these under 21 players do not count against our spend. Boehly is exploiting the rule to bring in these young players that don’t count against FFP. That frees money to go after big signings that do count in the calculation. That is all and good, but it also means the club better be playing these young players to make it work.

FFP was brought with the intention to promote financial responsibility; to stop the large number of football clubs who are run by people who spend more than they earn. The result is a classic example of how poorly designed financial incentives can have unintended, sometimes totally counter‑productive, effects.FFP contains such an ill considered clause; something that looked, at the time, harmless, but helped in creating the situation where very few academy graduates at top clubs are making it into first teams.

It works like this: FFP mandates that clubs must break even, and at the same time it exempts a number of costs from the calculation. These include infrastructure spending (like the finance costs of building a new stadium), investment in community schemes (school outreach programmes etc.) and women’s football as well as the full cost of youth development. These expenditures were believed to not be the kind of things that clubs should be penalised for. In the case of youth development, though, what it means is that Premier League clubs can spend as much as they like on their academies without having pressure to cut costs – like transfer fees or player wages – to be FFP‑compliant. And, to add to this incentive, while academy costs are excluded from the FFP calculation, income from sales of academy graduates is included in the profit calculation. It means that not only are significant operating costs excluded from the FFP calculation – meaning there’s no constraint on the number of youngsters in the academy – but the club can also boost their total FFP‑relevant income with player sales. The club is winning in both cases. They can spend as much as they can afford on player development, scooping up young players from around the world, and, if they can then sell them on, they can spend the extra on paying your first team. The more they spend scouting and improving players, then, the more they can get back into the club’s performance on the pitch, even if those youngsters never actually play for the club.
http://www.kridalegal.com/post.php?id=27

Sorry, sent the first reply in haste, by that I assme you mean, look at Chelsea, as in they've spent loads since their takeover? And not about the transfer ban they had.

Yeah exactly.

Theres literally zero high profile takeovers that have resulted in the club in question not spending any money. It’s scaremongering.

FFP was meant to keep the already rich teams rich, let’s be honest. A majority of the butt hurt people over extremely rich people buying teams (like Roman did Chelsea) were the “traditional” powers that were simply used to always being able to financially curb stomp anyone.

With FFP they were saying “you can join our group, but only if you spend 30 years regrowing your brand in an already saturated and dominated world market”.

It wasn’t designed to make things “fair”. If they wanted fair they would incorporate a league structure like the NFL and do a hard cap across all CL eligible leagues in Europe.

United will be bought by someone that can use finances like a hammer though. When it happens, the Glazers will be behind you and the Euphoria of massive investment in every area of the club will set in. The sale just needs to get over the line.

FFP was meant to keep the already rich teams rich, let’s be honest. A majority of the butt hurt people over extremely rich people buying teams (like Roman did Chelsea) were the “traditional” powers that were simply used to always being able to financially curb stomp anyone.

With FFP they were saying “you can join our group, but only if you spend 30 years regrowing your brand in an already saturated and dominated world market”.

It wasn’t designed to make things “fair”. If they wanted fair they would incorporate a league structure like the NFL and do a hard cap across all CL eligible leagues in Europe.

United will be bought by someone that can use finances like a hammer though. When it happens, the Glazers will be behind you and the Euphoria of massive investment in every area of the club will set in. The sale just needs to get over the line.
Again, why did AC Milan, the 2nd most successful team in CL history, get banned for a year then? I'm sure new ownership will mean a significant injection of funds, particularly capital investment in the stadium and the training facilities and hopefully there will be greater focus on the women's team and the academy, but the idea that anyone will come in and just ignore FFP is just silly. It also shouldn't be necessary if United are run competently which they haven't been for the last decade.

Yeah exactly.

Theres literally zero high profile takeovers that have resulted in the club in question not spending any money. It’s scaremongering.
Why is our manager publicly setting standards in press conferences if the money isn't tight?

People think we are gonna compete for Enzo Fernandez yet we are scouring the loan market at poundland.

Again, why did AC Milan, the 2nd most successful team in CL history, get banned for a year then? I'm sure new ownership will mean a significant injection of funds, particularly capital investment in the stadium and the training facilities and hopefully there will be greater focus on the women's team and the academy, but the idea that anyone will come in and just ignore FFP is just silly. It also shouldn't be necessary if United are run competently which they haven't been for the last decade.

There's a difference between ignoring it, and finding ways around it, the problem is that they've had enough chances to properly punish the two oil rich clubs who do as they please, but haven't, so I don't think it unreasonable for any other clubs to expect the same treatment, even more so ones who've just had a takeover.

No debt is the key. There was also an extension of the “leeway” on FFP counted revenues allowed to all teams due to Covid, AND this is the final year of the 3 year rolling average format, so starting essentially from scratch we can go right to the ceiling and not have to worry about balancing it next year. I thought we could go near 580m give or take and still be fine.

People already knew we would offer “whatever it took” for Bellingham. Since Bellingham is definitively off the table for us, and Brightons staff was the PL staff that bid against Benfica for Enzo originally … It shouldn’t surprise people that we would make this move.

I expect us to still go for Rice in the Summer. The rotating 3 man midfield we played against Bournemouth is Potters ideas starting to take hold. One of the deeper midfielders slides forward and plays more of an 8 (Enzo), the other slides back to shield the back line (Rice).

I’ll get excited when the plans all fully come together. This is a real test for Vivell and the others in the new structure; a LOT of moving pieces to bring together: Badioshile, Fofana and Santos, a right back, possibly a striker, and two more youth prospects (including going back in for Zakharyan)… in addition to Enzo
Im more surprised, that people are surprised at how much Boehly and Clearlake etc are willing to spend. Before they took over we were told this is his M.O.

I think you may see high levels of spending this summer, and next, and then itll taper off. Not to say they wont still buy players for big fees, just wont be multiple

Because AC Milan weren’t trying to shift around money they had to create FFP compliance, they were trying to hide spending money they DIDNT have.

That is the only true use of FFP. If it had any use, it is to come down on regimes that are creating a situation where the club itself could collapse under shifty spending and debt.

"not a case of hatred or tribalism".

I had a good laugh at that, sure pal sure.

"Just simply small time, don't deserve any recognition or respect of the oil years success or post."

Damn, if only your irrelevant opinion mattered . Care to know what "rivals" think about United? .
You know I'm right pal deep down. What can you respect about Chelsea, how they treated there best ever manager, captain JT and Anton Ferdinand situation, let's not forget the fans. Sure it was no time ago a fan racially abused a current player at the club, Sterling. I suppose the academy can be respected, loaning out all over the world.

Even with Enzo Fernandez, you bums won't finish ahead of us. We are on the way up, good manager now and hopefully good owners soon will bring back order. I'm sure Todd will be making Tuchel type decisions before this season is out.

As @antohan says, the games he's got at Benfica haven't defined him as a player in any sense, as I've repeatedly said. Loans are a useful tool for players who aren't quite ready but this is a player who clearly was.

That’s what these moves are glorified loans. Otherwise the clubs have to buy them early (yes at a cheaper rate) and go through the work themselves which at a larger scale the cost outweighs the initial reward. As we know the top clubs like instant success. Not many can afford to do this so they don’t.

Trying for Mudryk too in the Guardian. Life as a journalist must be so easy during transfer window time. :lol:

The guy is twerking for Arsenal every day

Trying for Mudryk too in the Guardian. Life as a journalist must be so easy during transfer window time. :lol:

The guy is twerking for Arsenal every day
I'd probably believe it. Chelsea are a car crash in the transfer market under this regime. Like a drunk bird stumbling from one club to another.

Well at least we got the player’s blessing before pursuing him this time. Boehly is learning :wenger:

Status
Not open for further replies.