Enzo Fernández | signs for Chelsea

Status
Not open for further replies.
So you think we will be forced to rename Old Trafford and won’t spend for two years? Under new owners? Just so I understand your point of view.

Happy to revisit this under new ownership if so as I’m highly confident neither of those things are accurate in the slightest.
Not forced but a potential way to speed up the process of being able to spend.

Having new owners won't reset the FFP counter, this is what you don't seem to understand? the ONLY way to bring it back is by earning more money.

That's either through competitions (CL, winning cups) or sponsorships. I doubt we will rake in loads of real sponsors, so we either fake them (like city managed) or we do something big like naming rights to the training ground, old trafford etc.

If we don't, then we simply have to wait until we pay for what we owe and free up spending. Right now we are pretty much at the maximum before we start taking a penalty.

Obviously if new owners come in, clear the debt and give us sponsorships then things will quickly turn around, but it'll still be short term pain by the sounds of it.

The World Cup is considered the most prestigious tournament in the world, where all the world's best players come together. How is that not top tier competition?
You must be a big Maguire fan then as he was one of the best defenders on show
I will look out for you in his performance thread.

I don't see how it's strange, he gave a similar example with José, who is their most successful manager.

Well it would be strange as the examples are nothing alike? And that in any example between the two clubs Chelsea treated Lampard much worse than United did Ole. So I’m unsure how it proves anything.

Not forced but a potential way to speed up the process of being able to spend.

Having new owners won't reset the FFP counter, this is what you don't seem to understand? the ONLY way to bring it back is by earning more money.

That's either through competitions (CL, winning cups) or sponsorships. I doubt we will rake in loads of real sponsors, so we either fake them (like city managed) or we do something big like naming rights to the training ground, old trafford etc.

If we don't, then we simply have to wait until we pay for what we owe and free up spending. Right now we are pretty much at the maximum before we start taking a penalty.

Obviously if new owners come in, clear the debt and give us sponsorships then things will quickly turn around, but it'll still be short term pain by the sounds of it.

Do you not suspect the new owners will be aware of what they need to do and will arrive with a plan on how to do it?

They won’t buy the club without doing their due diligence.

It all very much seems like the glass half empty mindset to me.

Well it would be strange as the examples are nothing alike? And that in any example between the two clubs Chelsea treated Lampard much worse than United did Ole. So I’m unsure how it proves anything.
The point was about the rationale behind the sacking: to improve the morale of the squad. That was something widely reported with José's sacking. As for United, it makes less sense if the poster meant Ole, and more if they meant Ronaldo, in my view.

But then again, there was also the insinuation that the club did it unfairly, which makes more sense if they meant Ole than Ronaldo.

The point was about the rationale behind the sacking: to improve the morale of the squad. That was something widely reported with José's sacking. As for United, it makes less sense if the poster meant Ole, and more if they meant Ronaldo, in my view.

But then again, there was also the insinuation that the club did it unfairly, which makes more sense if they meant Ole than Ronaldo.

I mean the notion Ole was unfairly sacked is rubbish. He was given far longer than most, case-point Chelsea and Lampard.

Do you not suspect the new owners will be aware of what they need to do and will arrive with a plan on how to do it?

They won’t buy the club without doing their due diligence.

It all very much seems like the glass half empty mindset to me.
Obviously they can have a plan, but if those are the rules and there's no way around it, what can we do?

This is why im saying people need to be patient. They might (hopefully) be totally wrong, but I forsee a quiet summer

Obviously they can have a plan, but if those are the rules and there's no way around it, what can we do?

This is why im saying people need to be patient. They might (hopefully) be totally wrong, but I forsee a quiet summer

You’ve just highlighted several ways around it?

I’m quite confident that if United are purchased Q1 as anticipated it won’t be a quiet summer.

Did you miss the comments by Ten Hag on the takeover and impact on the project?

You’ve just highlighted several ways around it?

I’m quite confident that if United are purchased Q1 as anticipated it won’t be a quiet summer.

Did you miss the comments by Ten Hag on the takeover and impact on the project?
Mate., i get the impression some people just adore being negative expecting the worst.

There is literally zero chance Utd get bought for 5bn and are not right up amongst the highest spenders in summer 2023. fecking hell.... come on lads

I mean the notion Ole was unfairly sacked is rubbish. He was given far longer than most, case-point Chelsea and Lampard.
Because he achieved far more than Lampard and most managers, 2nd place, back to back top 4 finishes, European final. Regardless, that's not the topic at hand here.

Benfica really about to sell him for 10x more than they paid for him after already more than doubling their money on Nunez.

This latest Chelsea project seems so random and scattergun.

Shock horror Chelsea all over the place nicking targets and not doing the ground work.

That is, btw, why I mentioned it was extremely important that Boehly has started listening to Vivell and the other people we brought in.

We switched from Gvardiol to Benoit pretty quick.

This is important to keep in mind because from what I understand the Brighton staff we brought on board scouted Enzo maybe more than anyone in the PL. They tried to sign him from River Plate, and now they are on our staff.

Imagining this is simply Boehly watching the WC and going off on a lark would be a mistake.

His larks, btw, tend to be much bigger… like making a cheeky bid to buy Benfica itself or something.
Okay but that once again proves the point that his amount of playing time in the “top tier level” to quote @TheMagicFoolBus is limited.

its okayto say he’s been scouted, but 120 for a player scouted at a lower level is just outrageous.
If Enzo went to Dortmund and then played fantastic or Italy etc, then I would imagine 85, Haaland would have gone for how much, 120, 150? And he’s a striker.

This thread is weird. A bunch of Chelsea fans have gone camping and all they can talk about is how United will be blowing everyone out of the water in no time. Weirdos :p

This thread is weird. A bunch of Chelsea fans have gone camping and all they can talk about is how United will be blowing everyone out of the water in no time. Weirdos :p
if utd get a takeover by people with vast wealth, they will blow most clubs away. Its not for debate

Okay but that once again proves the point that his amount of playing time in the “top tier level” to quote @TheMagicFoolBus is limited.

its okayto say he’s been scouted, but 120 for a player scouted at a lower level is just outrageous.
If Enzo went to Dortmund and then played fantastic or Italy etc, then I would imagine 85, Haaland would have gone for how much, 120, 150? And he’s a striker.
I was more implying that our new team, which I trust, said “no, save the money chasing after Gvardiol and get Badiashile instead”

So if they say “yes, absolutely, Enzo is worth that risk” I’ll go with it.

They aren’t just green lighting everything.

Here’s his it breaks down in my eyes. Despite the fact that he likes a lot of the people in our front office now and is game to join… reality is Chelsea probably dont win this fight in the Summer.

Plus, the Summer will be next year, and governed by a different FFP format.

Do you go for two targets for relatively similar money? Or do you go for Enzo, wait til Summer for Rice? Hypothetically, do I get Edson and Moises (which still would be over the odds) … or do I get Enzo and trust that he, along with Zakaria, Kova, Jorgihno and eventually Kante can do a job til Summer?

I actually think Zakaria has played well if he can keep from getting injured.

I think the Enzo option is better if they can pull it off.

This is a big game of chicken though. And if they want to win it they have to be absolutely ready to structure everything else around paying the release clause. If Benfica see that you really will trigger it … then the question of whether they would be willing to take 10 to 15 m more to structure it differently Becomes interesting.

How many games has he actually played at top tier level?
Please don’t tell me you consider the World Cup that, otherwise how many CL games has he actually played?

Well, the comparison was with Declan Rice and so I think it's safe to say Enzo has more games played in the CL and WC.

Furthermore it's not just about the number of games played - this Argentina team were under as much pressure as any international side have been entering a tournament in recent memory given Messi's status and despite that he thrived. Obviously as you say international football can be a mixed bag but it's notable that he was comfortably the best midfielder on the pitch against the Modric / Kovacic / Brozovic trio (which would be one of the best midfields any club side could roll out right now). For me Enzo's talent is undeniable so seeing him demonstrate elite mentality was the last piece of the puzzle.

I would also say that the extent to which Enzo is clearly the best player in Portugal matters - especially in his first European season at a young age. He's generally dominated games to the point where it's pretty obvious his talent will translate - and as others have pointed out the Portuguese League has arguably the best track record when it comes to players succeeding elsewhere (and especially in the PL).

I just don't think it's that dissimilar to PSG buying Mbappe despite a limited sample size. Enzo isn't quite as good or young but they're in the same ballpark.

He's not too far off, the lad proved himself under the highest pressure possible, transformed the Argentina side and has been magnificent for benfica while playing against sides like psg.

He has the makings of a super star, that much is obvious.

He's not too far off, the lad proved himself under the highest pressure possible, transformed the Argentina side and has been magnificent for benfica while playing against sides like psg.

He has the makings of a super star, that much is obvious.
It's all about opinions, but I think that this one is absolutely ridiculous.

It's all about opinions, but I think that this one is absolutely ridiculous.

Really? Considering Mbappe had one top flight season under his belt for Monaco when PSG agreed their FFP-dodging loan deal?

Yes he was integral in Monaco making the CL semis but is that a more impressive line on the CV than winning the World Cup and Golden Boy?

I agree that Mbappe was still the better prospect (especially given his age), but I don't think it's ridiculous to say that at the time of their move Enzo is comparable.

Really? Considering Mbappe had one top flight season under his belt for Monaco when PSG agreed their FFP-dodging loan deal?

Yes he was integral in Monaco making the CL semis but is that a more impressive line on the CV than winning the World Cup and Golden Boy?

I agree that Mbappe was still the better prospect (especially given his age), but I don't think it's ridiculous to say that at the time of their move Enzo is comparable.
Just watching Mbappe back then, it was pretty obvious that he was going to be the best player in the world. It was the modern day equivalent of signing a teenage Ronaldo or Messi. Enzo Fernandez looks a perfectly good midfielder, but more akin to signing a young Vidal.

You think Enzo and Mbappe are comparable prospects?

Just watching Mbappe back then, it was pretty obvious that he was going to be the best player in the world. It was the modern day equivalent of signing a teenage Ronaldo or Messi. Enzo Fernandez looks a perfectly good midfielder, but more akin to signing a young Vidal.

Respectfully I think you're applying a lot of hindsight here. It seemed clear Mbappe would be world class but I don't think anyone was definitively anointing him future best in the world whilst he was at Monaco.

You think Enzo and Mbappe are comparable prospects?

At this point Mbappe is very obviously better, so Enzo doesn't sniff his jockstrap in terms of current value.

I'm talking specifically about when they move / moved for huge money - Mbappe was still the better prospect when he was leaving Monaco and as an attacker will always fetch a higher price but I don't think Enzo is a million miles off from where Mbappe was in 2017 relative to their position on the pitch.

I don't even think he has Vidal's engine.
My main issue with that kind of money on a player like this, is that his highest ceiling, will make you say "good signing for the fee". Compare that with other players that have gone for similar fees. His floor isn't necessarily that high either.

You must be a big Maguire fan then as he was one of the best defenders on show
I will look out for you in his performance thread.

You might not realize that Maguire was in the team of the tournament in 2018 WC as well as the 2020 European championship. He is not half as bad as some people claim he is.

It is difficult for everybody when the entire world turns you into a meme and magnifies every half mistake and turns it into an unprecedented blunder, the pressure he must deal with week in week out is something we as people on the couch can‘t even begin to comprehend.

He has my empathy, I don’t want to be in his shoes despite his fat pay check.

if utd get a takeover by people with vast wealth, they will blow most clubs away. Its not for debate
It will be pretty shit from our competitive perspective but I can't say I won't find the backtracking when United and Liverpool get sugardaddy/state owners absolutely hilarious to watch/read.

My main issue with that kind of money on a player like this, is that his highest ceiling, will make you say "good signing for the fee". Compare that with other players that have gone for similar fees. His floor isn't necessarily that high either.
In no time at all he seems to have gone from an unearthed gem to hideously overrated. I mean...Mbappe? Seriously? I actually think the guy is a good midfielder and has a lot of potential. Zero value though in that type of crazy fee.

I don't think anyone has prime Vidal's engine to be fair - even if Vidal probably should have been kept away from a few engines during his peak years.

Just curious if you'd feel the same way about Bellingham if he were moving for a similar fee (though it looks likely he'd be even more expensive)? Especially as football analysis becomes more and more sophisticated in terms of valuing things beyond goals I just don't think your assessment of Enzo's ceiling and floor are accurate.

In no time at all he seems to have gone from an unearthed gem to hideously overrated. I mean...Mbappe? Seriously? I actually think the guy is a good midfielder and has a lot of potential. Zero value though in that type of crazy fee.

Again - we're not talking about current Mbappe. We're talking about Mbappe from 5.5 years ago.

Exactly. I think it's clear their new owner is looking to make a big money statement signing.
Normally players like Enzo wouldn't even be considered sexy enough for that. However, stars are aligned in that he's played well and won golden boy for a team that's won the world cup. This now makes a sext signing.

In a way it's a good thing for Chelsea because unless he just can't cope with the pace of the league, you'll expect to get (at least) a solid starter out of him for the next 10 years. I may be wrong, just don't think he's worth game changer money all up front.

You might not realize that Maguire was in the team of the tournament in 2018 WC as well as the 2020 European championship. He is not half as bad as some people claim he is.

It is difficult for everybody when the entire world turns you into a meme and magnifies every half mistake and turns it into an unprecedented blunder, the pressure he must deal with week in week out is something we as people on the couch can‘t even begin to comprehend.

He has my empathy, I don’t want to be in his shoes despite his fat pay check.
I was aware actually and it is shocking the crap that is thrown in his direction.
Luckily he does seem like an individual with a strong resolve in his ability regardless of the flak and that was evident in Qatar.

Exactly the same as we "treated" Jose. Sacked him because you felt he wasn't good enough anymore and believed the dressing room atmosphere would improve without him.
We “sacked” him because he went on national television and shat all over everything to do with the club including the chef. Very weird comparison.

That and he literally walked off during a match. We even forgave him as he captained a game for us some time later but then he released the interview when he was "injured" before the World Cup.

Status
Not open for further replies.