Enzo Fernández | signs for Chelsea

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wikipedia says that he has played 13 games for Benfica?! 130m is unfathomably bonkers.

Would be pissed if he went to Chelsea. CM is not our biggest concern right now but we still could do with the lad and I'd rather he joined a non PL club. But no one else would be crazy enough to spend that amount on him.

I would rather play out the season in Portugal and be dealt some better options in the summer. He can do better than Chelsea for sure.

I would rather play out the season in Portugal and be dealt some better options in the summer. He can do better than Chelsea for sure.
That is why you aren't him as he doesn't attach fan sentiment. Pretty sure Utd who haven't won anything relevant in 9yrs are the amongst the "better" that he can do.

Chelsea are really starting to annoy me. First they got off scot-free for being funded by an oligarch in league with Putin. Most clubs would have been relegated for that. Now they have gotten an owner who seems to be spending even more than what Roman did. Chelsea have more money pumped into them than any club in history. It's like a trust fund kid with trust funds getting activated every couple of years.

Benfica see clubs coming.
More like they see money coming:lol:. Guess it makes sense for Chelsea. It's both a "make splash" and a football signing. They just have to hope he plays up to it.
Fair play to Benfica, that's 200m off two players that cost them next to nothing in Enzo and Nunez.

Last edited:
Chelsea are going to have a problem if a few of these don’t work out. The high fees and long contracts they are dishing out mean less FFP cost year to year but trying to sell them is a nightmare, as the book value is way too high. Atlético have this problem with Felix at the moment and Chelsea already have it most summers with Lukaku. It’s extremely difficult to find someone to even cover the book cost let alone make profit on the players. United had it with AWB in the summer, there was no point in accepting £10m or whatever for him as it would just make FFP worse for that season.

Every single transfer carries some sort of risk but the whole point of signing young players is you should be able to sign them cheaper. If for whatever Enzo doesn’t work out and he’s sitting on a 7 year contract in a couple of years, good luck trying to find someone to spend £80m on him to cover your costs. You only really want to be spending this sort of money on the likes of Mbappe, Haaland etc where the risk is so small that they don’t work out.

It looks like Boehly and the ownership are panicking about not making top 4 this season and if I was Enzo I really would sit and wait until the summer for something better, or at least that the Chelsea project is moving in the right direction.There’s been a whole lot of money spent for regression so far.

Fairly straightforward to see that Chelsea are acting now as they have a free run at him. They won't have that chance come summer and will be paying a similar amount for him regardless.

For sure it's extremely high praise but even going into the World Cup I said Enzo was probably going to be the best midfielder at the tournament besides maybe De Bruyne. I also think it's pretty fair to say that him coming in to play at the base of midfield alongside De Paul was transformational for Argentina - they were a completely different side with him in there versus Paredes.

Put it this way - there is basically nothing Enzo doesn't do at a top tier level already and he only turns 22 in a couple weeks. He can play as a 6, an 8, or a 10 and no matter what he offers huge value both in and out of possession. We have been crying out for a midfield overhaul and Enzo would be a dream signing for basically any price if you ask me.

Wow well okay then. If he’s even 70% as good as you say he is, I will ignore the price tag and enjoy watching him transform this team.

He can do a lot better than them for sure.

Will be interesting to see if it goes through though, as the figures involved seem a bit mad.

Chelsea are going to have a problem if a few of these don’t work out. The high fees and long contracts they are dishing out mean less FFP cost year to year but trying to sell them is a nightmare, as the book value is way too high. Atlético have this problem with Felix at the moment and Chelsea already have it most summers with Lukaku. It’s extremely difficult to find someone to even cover the book cost let alone make profit on the players. United had it with AWB in the summer, there was no point in accepting £10m or whatever for him as it would just make FFP worse for that season.

Every single transfer carries some sort of risk but the whole point of signing young players is you should be able to sign them cheaper. If for whatever Enzo doesn’t work out and he’s sitting on a 7 year contract in a couple of years, good luck trying to find someone to spend £80m on him to cover your costs. You only really want to be spending this sort of money on the likes of Mbappe, Haaland etc where the risk is so small that they don’t work out.

It looks like Boehly and the ownership are panicking about not making top 4 this season and if I was Enzo I really would sit and wait until the summer for something better, or at least that the Chelsea project is moving in the right direction.There’s been a whole lot of money spent for regression so far.

Nah, they'll just add him to the other 400 players they have loaned out.

We could try gazump Benfica on their two Enzo replacements :lol:

Maximo Perrone.

City are of course one step ahead of all of us and are currently trying to sign Benfica's Enzo replacement before they get him and immediately slap a 100m valuation on him.

Definitely premier league bound. Can see 3 clubs going for him and it may take all summer unless someone coughs up the right amount straight away. Still think ten Hag will go for De Jong again though.

I won't pretend I watch Portuguese football so take my opinion with an entire bag full of salt but this fee seems like it's massively inflated because he had a really good World Cup.

His statistics in the Portuguese league are very impressive for a 21 year old but he's played 18 matches for Benfica so far (league plus Champions League), so a 100+ million price tag seems pretty crazy to me.

It’s truly amazing how he never actually breaks a story - yet knows all the inside details an hour after someone else breaks it. Take this one - he needs to have very good sources at benfica to know their board are split about accepting, Chelsea to know how much they want him AND Liverpool/Madrid to know they want Enzo but not now. And he’s like this about EVERY big transfer someone else breaks. Almost likes he just reads what the good reporters say and then guesses. An American version of Miguel Delaney.

They have a free run so I’m sure he goes there

they need a striker though really

It’s truly amazing how he never actually breaks a story - yet knows all the inside details an hour after someone else breaks it. Take this one - he needs to have very good sources at benfica to know their board are split about accepting, Chelsea to know how much they want him AND Liverpool/Madrid to know they want Enzo but not now. And he’s like this about EVERY big transfer someone else breaks. Almost likes he just reads what the good reporters say and then guesses. An American version of Miguel Delaney.

He's not American. He's an Englishman from Leicester.

If he's smart he'd wait until summer when he has 3-4 big money clubs looking at him. Newcastle, Liverpool and ourselves would likely join the party.

So this fee would take Chelsea spending close to £400 million in two windows. Crazy in itself, but especially if you consider they still don't have a proper number 9 upfront which they need to address in the summer. There are also question marks over every single transfer they made in the summer with Thiago Silva hanging his boots soon.

For what is worth, think Enzo would be a very good signing if we ignore the price, but I would tap up Kovacic immediately considering his contract ends in summer 2024. They might just be stupid enough to let him go and Casemiro - Kovacic - Bruno has everything you need in a midfield.

Wikipedia says that he has played 13 games for Benfica?! 130m is unfathomably bonkers.
The only reason he wasn't atleast 70m in the first place is because the Argentine peso is all forms of fecked.

So while "10m to 130m in 6 months" is a nice headline it's a bit misleading (ofcourse i also get the banter aspect to it). if Argentinas economy was even resembling stable he would have cost around what Endrick did, he was very much proven before Benfica.

If he's smart he'd wait until summer when he has 3-4 big money clubs looking at him. Newcastle, Liverpool and ourselves would likely join the party.
That would be smart for Benfica but not for the player. Realistically he will get paid big money at Chelsea and be in London, likely a big draw for a foreign player.

great young player but we simply can’t afford to spend 120m on a player that we don’t desperately need. Our CM options are solid, i’d much rather spend that money on Osimhen.

The simple fact is another will come along in 1-2 years and if smart we could get them for £20m early rather than waiting.

Everybody wants the shiny new toy but there’s no guarantee he will settle in england either.

we simply CANNOT afford another big mistake

Huge salary package also. Player is super happy by chelsea wage offer that's what rumour was. Him and his family happily accepted it after vivell s direct talks and explained about their project.

“would you like to hear about our project” “yes” “it’s to win games” “right…how does that differ from anyone else’s project? “It doesn’t” “then why are you referring to it as a project?” “I don’t know”

:lol: fecking hell. Can you imagine the reaction if we were spending 120m on someone we could have got for a tenth of that, 6 months earlier?

:lol: fecking hell. Can you imagine the reaction if we were spending 120m on someone we could have got for a tenth of that, 6 months earlier?
It is mad. Great player, obviously, but surely this bubble has got to burst at some point. Benfica probably can't believe their luck so soon after Nunez.

It is mad. Great player, obviously, but surely this bubble has got to burst at some point. Benfica probably can't believe their luck so soon after Nunez.
The bubble won’t burst, there’s too many teams desperate for success and with much deeper pockets than before.

It used to be a couple of Italian clubs, then it was Madrid and Barca, then United and then finally Chelsea, City, PSG. Now most PL teams can pay what United were paying 20 years ago with ease due to TV money and teams like Newcastle are entering the first bracket while the original rich clubs fall down the pecking order.

In short, there isn’t much room at the top and everyone wants the best players. It’s now any one of 10 teams can afford this type of player, whereas is used to be one or two. As more teams enter that mega money bracket the higher these fees will go.

great young player but we simply can’t afford to spend 120m on a player that we don’t desperately need. Our CM options are solid, i’d much rather spend that money on Osimhen.

The simple fact is another will come along in 1-2 years and if smart we could get them for £20m early rather than waiting.

Everybody wants the shiny new toy but there’s no guarantee he will settle in england either.

we simply CANNOT afford another big mistake
All for this. No point spending ridiculous amounts on a position that we’ve just improved on last summer. We need a ST. If we’re even thinking of spending that much on him then why not spend that much on a ST if the moneys there. Could get mbappe for that.

The bubble won’t burst, there’s too many teams desperate for success and with much deeper pockets than before.

It used to be a couple of Italian clubs, then it was Madrid and Barca, then United and then finally Chelsea, City, PSG. Now most PL teams can pay what United were paying 20 years ago with ease due to TV money and teams like Newcastle are entering the first bracket while the original rich clubs fall down the pecking order.

In short, there isn’t much room at the top and everyone wants the best players. It’s now any one of 10 teams can afford this type of player, whereas is used to be one or two. As more teams enter that mega money bracket the higher these fees will go.
I'm speaking more in the sense of teams being prepared to enter the market for a player before they have their big break. Enzo Fernandez was available for a fraction of the cost in the summer and none of the big clubs took a chance on him. I don't understand how Chelsea (or whoever else is interested at €120m) can see paying that fee as less of a risk than signing the player directly from River Plate in the summer. He wasn't exactly an unknown talent.

I understand that historically it was because it was difficult to sign players directly from South America, but I don't think that was the case here.

Not really. It’s not like clubs are competing at these fees similarly to when we use to spend big.

Chelsea are the only club willing to pay this price and good luck to them. It’s very scattergun at the minute and I can see this going like us. But at the sametime I don’t blame them. They know in an open market players like Enzo are harder to buy, they have seen this in the summer with Barca trying to get players.

Status
Not open for further replies.