Enzo Fernández | signs for Chelsea

Status
Not open for further replies.
At 120m this is just far too risky and we shouldn't be anywhere near it. Buying players for huge fees off an international tournament performance doesn't have a great rate of return. Hasn't played in a major league, hasn't played in later stages of CL.

He's been in Portugal for a couple of months and Benfica seem keen to make a 1,000% return on investment which is fair enough.

For 120m, you're looking for a nailed on megastar, not taking a punt on a largely unproven talent based off a handful of international games.

Mate, that's obviously a negotiating stance. You will get their President to dress like Santa for an 80M profit in 6 months.

So what you are telling me we will have new owners in the summer? :)

Seriously though, this is lost in the “Not good to buy players in January” notion. Less players may be available, but when they are available, the competition are lower.

Be lucky to spend 30m on a player this January let alone 120m. This is a non runner.

Seems like bull that we have considering bidding for him. Or people know Chelsea are interested, and want to send a message that there will be plenty of interest in the Summer even if they turn down Chelsea now.

But — just for the sake of argument, we were actually willing to pay a lot of money for Gakpo, but with most of it deferred or a loan with obligation to buy. We are going to have 120m to spend this summer no doubt.

If Chelsea offer Sporting 120m cash, Sporting had to accept the offer. If we offer 120m now with payment to be made in the summer and — and gives Sporting the right to loan Enzo back from us for the remaining of the year — they would of course not have to accept it, but if Chelsea had triggered the clause anyway it would of course make sense to also accept our offer even if it means that they have to wait 6 months for the payments to arrive.

Last edited:
Being reported in Record Fernandez is inclined to accept the move and leave now. His family want to, aswell.

In other words he's staying then. Portuguese media is meme level.

I think Chelsea will end up signing him because they'll know that come the summer window, there may well be much sterner competition for the player.
Agreed. Can’t see Chelsea not chancing it now they have the funds and United and Liverpool will possibly be sniffing around in the summer.

Agreed. Can’t see Chelsea not chancing it now they have the funds and United and Liverpool will possibly be sniffing around in the summer.
Absolutely. They will know that this is their best chance to sign him and Boehly will likely dangle the carrot of a very healthy pay packet to entice the player.

Absolutely. They will know that this is their best chance to sign him and Boehly will likely dangle the carrot of a very healthy pay packet to entice the player.

Yes but does he want to play for Chelsea knowing he’ll have like 5 big clubs chasing him in the summer?

Yep - it's what we just did with Nkunku too.
I think you're making big moves for the present and the future. And I think in around a years time, there will be stability in your club's football structure.

Vivell as the technical director with Winstanley and Shields running the scouting department are good moves by Boehly.

Yes but does he want to play for Chelsea knowing he’ll have like 5 big clubs chasing him in the summer?
Chelsea is also a big club and they can also provide the player with a good sporting project. And it's been reported that he wants to join the EPL.

Easy project to sell though really. Lots of funds, recent enough success, ambitious owner, London based and I’m sure financially would be well compensated.

From a footballing perspective a clear first team spot and a decent chance of challenging for silverware plus the chance to impress and move to a Real Madrid in a few years if that’s what is desired.

Chelsea as much as it pains me to say are developing a decent structure.

Chelsea is also a big club and they can also provide the player with a good sporting project. And it's been reported that he wants to join the EPL.

Yeah sorry I meant 5 other big clubs as in on top of Chelsea. There are rumours of Real Madrid being interested, and we obviously know of Liverpool and United’s interest.

Easy project to sell though really. Lots of funds, recent enough success, ambitious owner, London based and I’m sure financially would be well compensated.

From a footballing perspective a clear first team spot and a decent chance of challenging for silverware plus the chance to impress and move to a Real Madrid in a few years if that’s what is desired.

Chelsea as much as it pains me to say are developing a decent structure.

Yeah I hear you. Good to hear. I don’t know why I get a bit sceptical sometimes when Chelsea are fighting with other clubs for the signature of a highly rated player.

This guy at Chelsea would be incredible. Adding one of Caicedo and Rice to that midfield as well as Mount and we would be set for years. Plus Kante, Kovacic and Gallagher.

I think you're making big moves for the present and the future. And I think in around a years time, there will be stability in your club's football structure.

Vivell as the technical director with Winstanley and Shields running the scouting department are good moves by Boehly.

Yeah we have a significant gap to make up. Enzo is the kind of transformational signing that could be impactful for the next 8-10 years. Vivell prioritising him over Rice alone is hugely encouraging.

Steady on there. It's a little early to ear mark him as a transformational player. He's only recently (relatively speaking) started to be a regular starting player. He's had a decent World Cup but worth the Hugh numbers being talked about? Too soon to tell.

Steady on there. It's a little early to ear mark him as a transformational player. He's only recently (relatively speaking) started to be a regular starting player. He's had a decent World Cup but worth the Hugh numbers being talked about? Too soon to tell.

It really isn't. He's arguably the most complete midfielder in the world right now. Anyone who watches the Portuguese league regularly will confirm.

Apparently Chelsea offered 127M today and although Benfica would prefer to keep him, they've signalled openess in discussing payment terms and other details.

River Plate would receive up to 31.75M as part of the deal if that ends up being the final figure.

It really isn't. He's arguably the most complete midfielder in the world right now. Anyone who watches the Portuguese league regularly will confirm.

I don’t know if this is crazy hyperbole or not but you’ve watched him 10x more than I have and I do generally trust your judgement on players. I’ll just say this, from I’ve seen he’s not really screamed transformational to me. That’s incredibly high praise.

Last edited:
€127m for him is bonkers. Kid has barely played. That said, Chelsea did pay £97m for Lukaku and £72m for Kepa so I guess this would be good business compared to that.

€127m for him is bonkers. Kid has barely played. That said, Chelsea did pay £97m for Lukaku and £72m for Kepa so I guess this would be good business compared to that.
It’s really hard to justify any transfer fee at this point. The market should have crashed by now but it continues to rise. If he is as good as they say though, because I really don’t know, it’s worth it if you compare it to Pogbas valuation of 89 mil in 2016 relative to the rest of the market in general.

It’s really hard to justify any transfer fee at this point. The market should have crashed by now but it continues to rise. If he is as good as they say though, because I really don’t know, it’s worth it if you compare it to Pogbas valuation of 89 mil in 2016 relative to the rest of the market in general.
Pogba was a hugely marketable attacking mid with a significant body of work in a top European league, no where near the same.

Chelsea in advance negotiations to sign Enzo Fernandez and are close to signing him.

I don’t know if this is crazy hyperbole or not but you’ve watched him 10x more than I have and I do generally trust your judgement on players. I’ll just say this, from I’ve seen he’s not really screamed transformational to me. That’s incredibly high praise.

For sure it's extremely high praise but even going into the World Cup I said Enzo was probably going to be the best midfielder at the tournament besides maybe De Bruyne. I also think it's pretty fair to say that him coming in to play at the base of midfield alongside De Paul was transformational for Argentina - they were a completely different side with him in there versus Paredes.

Put it this way - there is basically nothing Enzo doesn't do at a top tier level already and he only turns 22 in a couple weeks. He can play as a 6, an 8, or a 10 and no matter what he offers huge value both in and out of possession. We have been crying out for a midfield overhaul and Enzo would be a dream signing for basically any price if you ask me.

127 m for a midfielder is absolute madness. Only probably Messi and Ronaldo in his prime and Mbappe now could even justify that price tag, crazy stuff.

If only we had the Chelsea owners.

If they get Fernandez, and Pool get Bellingham.... We're back pining for De Jong again.

Just when there was a glimmer of hope with two young CMs...

Yes not the same really. Pogba had already had 3-4 top seasons in Europe and attacking players go for more
People forget, Pogba also won the golden boy award already as well, years before.
I actually want Chelsea to get this guy. Purely out of curiosity to see what he can do in the league. I can't really tell how press resistant he is, the world cup is not a great way to judge this. He's a tough tackler and a good ball progressor though mostly via passing.

Pogba had way more mileage in european football than Enzo Fernández when United payed 89 million £ for him, including playing an UCL final with Juventus.

Enzo Fernández has only been in Benfica for 4 months, as talented as he is, 127 millions is way too much for someone who doesn't even have 1 season in Europe.

I watch him regularly, thanks.

I'm saying people need to calm down a little, that's all. He's still relatively fresh to the game in a league that doesn't test his level. It's a lot of money for a young lad from a bang avarage league. That said, he looks impressive.

It's laughable money for someone, who even though people want to talk about him like he's the second coming, isn't a guaranteed success.

I'm not surprised it's Chelsea signing him.

We could try gazump Benfica on their two Enzo replacements :lol:

Not really. What's special isn't just his football qualities. Others would still rather pay less for FDJ with that in mind.

Go watch him against Mexico. Argentina in disarray, a goal away from elimination, Scaloni chopping and changing on the go and on comes this kid and takes full control of the game.

In your lifetime you will see hundreds of players who can pass, shoot, press or tackle like this chap but you will see very few that can boss a big stakes game like that under immense pressure. You don't get that at Asda.

That's the main reason I think stats are only any use for scanning, not deciding.

In fairness, I'm not sure we could get a work permit. In any case, we would have said he needed to bulk up and go spend a year in the Championship.

Mind, for some time I got Verón vibes with him and haven't fully shaken that off.
He’s a World Cup winner, young player of the tournament. He’d absolutely get a work permit

Status
Not open for further replies.