English cricket thread

Some of you are being a bit unnecessarily harsh on England here. I said yesterday that 300 was about par for a first innings total and I think that’s still about right.

Pakistan have batted well to move ahead of England and England are capable of batting better next time round.

Edit. Obviously Pakistan decide to twat the ball around as soon as I’ve said that.

Last edited:
Some of you are being a bit unnecessarily harsh on England here. I said yesterday that 300 was about par for a first innings total and I think that’s still about right.

Pakistan have batted well to move ahead of England and England are capable of batting better next time round.
Not really being harsh. The game is still on but England are just very sloppy and don't take the big moments. Look at this now after tea

Not really being harsh. The game is still on but England are just very sloppy and don't take the big moments. Look at this now after tea
In what way have they been sloppy? I’ll admit I’ve been working at the same time but I haven’t really seen any drops, poor fielding etc.

Maybe the bowling hasn’t been consistent but they’re just not experienced spin bowlers. It’s not sloppiness.

Maybe the way I should describe this is that I think the thread isn’t giving Pakistan enough credit. This is match winning stuff right now if they can keep it up. Same as Smith kept us in the match during the first innings.

Agreed but I think that's because the standards expected from the spinners isn't great. One works class spinner and this team would be so much stronger
There’s basically one county in the entirety of England that’s good at developing spinners. England are having to develop them on the job. Between Bashir, Rehan and Farhan Ahmed I’m confident they’ll do it.

I think the game’s gone for England but who knows with Pakistan batting 4th. It’s unfortunate that really English cricket doesn’t really view developing for spinning conditions much of a priority, to be fair though in general batsmen seem worse playing spin than they did before.

Classic Gower… “Duckett might not be the tallest”

Favourite commentator by a mile.

Not exactly what I expected having only just tuned in again since the lunch break. Difficult to see England setting a good enough target even if they wrapped up this innings right now.

Looking back at the BBC page and they have this stat;
Since the start of 2022, the last three wickets have averaged 20.1 runs per partnership against England. That is the highest against any Test team in this period.

And that was 2 hours ago so it'll be worse now!

In some ways building a competitive third innings total will be more impressive for this England side than another mammoth final innings run chase.

Saud hold your head high though - what a knock.

Disaster of a day so far, really poor.

A poor hour and a half. At 177-7 and for quite a while after, England were well on top.

The collapse in the first innings is just as much to blame as the bowlers are in this last hour for me.

Hopefully England have learnt from Shakheel regarding how to bat on this pitch. I just want them to apply some application.

Duckett and Crawley will play the usual way. Root will look to nurdle, hopefully Brook reigns it in a bit. We need to set 200.

The line up is full of potential match winners so England are in it until we are 6 down, but that might be in twenty minutes :lol:

There is more than enough in the pitch if you can bowl straight, it was frustrating to watch Leach being constantly clipped to square leg

There is more than enough in the pitch if you can bowl straight, it was frustrating to watch Leach being constantly clipped to square leg

Yep - this one is on the bowlers for me. All three wickets tonight to good balls allowing the pitch to do the work.

Well the light saves us from being totally done.

Brook, Root, Stokes (maybe not in Asia...) and Smith have enough in them to make a game of it.