English cricket thread

pretty interesting how when @Northstand stops shooting his mouth off for just a second, we start to get a couple of partnerships together.

At least 300 for the first innings? I haven’t been able to watch closely but I only saw Duckett’s wicket as being completely unplayable - we’ll know more once Pakistan start batting though.

Smith probably needs to be moved above Stokes at this stage.
He should in these conditions at least, Stokes averages just under 27 in 53 innings in Asia. Most of his 50+ scores came in the first half of those as well so it's not like he's improved over time.

This umpire wants England to win! The most shocking decisions I’ve seen recenrtly. If England can get one more wicket before close that would have them in a great position.

Really good start with the ball by England but that last 30 minutes was a bit poor, could have completely turned the game with some better bowling but there was far too much leg stump stuff

England just ahead, big 45 mins seen out by Pakistan there to keep there hopes of going past our score alive.

If they don't get 300+ you'd heavily fancy England

Great day's test cricket. Really enjoyable.
How did Root go? I’ve got so used to seeing him rack up big scores I was pretty surprised he went so cheaply.

Fantastic from Smith (and Atkinson tbh) when we were clearly in a very tight spot.

Either England will get Pakistan out cheaply or Pakistan will get a big score. That said they could also score around 260.
I am pondering the most likely result. I think it will either be a Pakistan or England win. That said it could also be a draw. I could even see a tie.

I am pondering the most likely result. I think it will either be a Pakistan or England win. That said it could also be a draw. I could even see a tie.

This joke doesn't work with England. I can guarantee you it won't be a draw :)

How did Root go? I’ve got so used to seeing him rack up big scores I was pretty surprised he went so cheaply.

Fantastic from Smith (and Atkinson tbh) when we were clearly in a very tight spot.

Got pinned back lbw to a ball that was quicker and kept lower than he probably expected. Pretty normal shot for him to play v spin - playing late - but it was a good ball on a pitch that was misbehaving.

This pitch really becomes flat once the ball is a bit old, that's why that 30 minutes at the end yesterday were huge. Pakistan are good at getting 1's & 2's while England apart from that one partnership yesterday are too reliant on high risk shots

Why? All logic says the fourth innings will be hardest to bat.
Yeah, you’d think so; though some of the English batsmen need to apply themselves a bit better than they did in the first innings.

The match is beautifully poised here…a good couple of hours for either side after lunch could be crucial.

Yes if the target is not big enough. Just like the last test match because the Pakistan Pakistan spinners are better than the England ones. They are edging towards parity. England will need to bat well to put a decent target on the board.
Have you watched Pakistan lately? Operating well under pressure is not their forte.

Nz spinners have shown how having good spinners can completely turn matches in the subcontinent. England spinners are OK for their own competition but below par on world level. Leach has bowled utter trash this innings

It was a strange decision by Stokes to delay bringing Rehan back into the attack after lunch, and then to eventually bring him on at the opposite end to the one from which he’d picked up the three wickets.

Nz spinners have shown how having good spinners can completely turn matches in the subcontinent. England spinners are OK for their own competition but below par on world level. Leach has bowled utter trash this innings
Bashir and Rehan are still young so learning their trade. Next subcontinent match isn’t until 2027 I believe so hopefully a bit more experienced by then and maybe some more coming through.

England have probably pissed this away, with their inability to bowl out the tail
Santner before this test had a bowling avg of 40, wouldn't class him as a good spin bowler.