English cricket thread

Buttler still not fit enough for the ODIs in the West Indies, Livingstone will be captain for that series.

Michael Pepper called up as replacement so we may finally have him and Salt in the same side!

Rehan and Atkinson come in for Potts and Carse.

Meanwhile, Cricinfo are reporting that Avram Glazer submitted a bid expressing interest in buying a Hundred side before last week's deadline.

Rehan and Atkinson come in for Potts and Carse.

Meanwhile, Cricinfo are reporting that Avram Glazer submitted a bid expressing interest in buying a Hundred side before last week's deadline.

No surprise Carse gets rested - he's shown enough already and has a poor injury record.

Not totally sold on Rehan as a third spinner but will be nice to see him get a run.

Looking forward to this test match

A very handy start for the England openers on what’s already looked a tricky surface. This opening pair, whilst not often building really big partnerships, have certainly been consistent in setting a foundation for the team.

Edit: the kiss of death there, as Crawley’s gone.

A very handy start for the England openers on what’s already looked a tricky surface. This opening pair, whilst not often building really big partnerships, have certainly been consistent in setting a foundation for the team.

Edit: the kiss of death there, as Crawley’s gone.

Turned into a really poor session for England.

Just got no defensive technique against spin at all. All through the Indian series & now this the middle order has collapsed after good starts. When you lose a wicket or two you need to play out some time and get used to these conditions but England just lose too many wickets in bunches. The conditions are tough no doubt but they knew it beforehand and needed to come up with better plans

Just got no defensive technique against spin at all. All through the Indian series & now this the middle order has collapsed after good starts. When you lose a wicket or two you need to play out some time and get used to these conditions but England just lose too many wickets in bunches. The conditions are tough no doubt but they knew it beforehand and needed to come up with better plans

Yep, no idea what the batting coaches on has been working on in between tests. They knew how the pitch would be.

Pakistan have really nailed this pitch imo. A slow turning wicket with low bounce keeps their bowlers in the game while also allowing their batters to score big. Credit to whoever did the work on this

Pakistan have really nailed this pitch imo. A slow turning wicket with low bounce keeps their bowlers in the game while also allowing their batters to score big. Credit to whoever did the work on this
maybe the real terrorist threat was from the groundsmen all along.

Riveting stuff...both sides scoring at around one run per over in the first innings.

Back to the current match... anyone care to speculate what constitutes a "par" score here?
At least 300 for the first innings? I haven’t been able to watch closely but I only saw Duckett’s wicket as being completely unplayable - we’ll know more once Pakistan start batting though.

Smith probably needs to be moved above Stokes at this stage.

Very hard to tell but feel like England will feel a little uneasy under 300. But it's a recovery.

Its so funny listening to cricket commentators sometimes, whether its habbit or an instruction, Gower was half half way through a sentence when the over ended and read out the score. It wasn't this, but something like: "With Jamie Smith set they put another man behind, 248-8, the bat and maybe that tempted him into the shot."

It reminds of the Howard Stern movie where he was told he had to give out the time and weather every 15 minutes without fail so next show he launched into this long, slow, sad monlogue about being by his Dad's side when he died and half way through read out the time and weather: "Then I had his hand in my hand and I just felt it go limp, his light had gone out. By the way its 9:30, 68 degrees and sunny out there. I had to go tell my mom he died......"

Fantastic innings by Smith but I am unsure about the last 10-15 minutes. I think hitting the ball is good but Rehan can hold the bat so I am not sure why he was hitting every ball with so many people on the boundary. Could have got to tea and reassessed. Easy 100 was there as well

Its so funny listening to cricket commentators sometimes, whether its habbit or an instruction, Gower was half half way through a sentence when the over ended and read out the score. It wasn't this, but something like: "With Jamie Smith set they put another man behind, 248-8, the bat and maybe that tempted him into the shot."

It reminds of the Howard Stern movie where he was told he had to give out the time and weather every 15 minutes without fail so next show he launched into this long, slow, sad monlogue about being by his Dad's side when he died and half way through read out the time and weather: "Then I had his hand in my hand and I just felt it go limp, his light had gone out. By the way its 9:30, 68 degrees and sunny out there. I had to go tell my mom he died......"
I think it’s because it’s for the world feed and most countries would be going to an advert break, so it stops them cutting off the commentator mid sentence. I’ve watched some cricket through Canadian TV before and it was relentless, adverts after almost every over. The adverts were all so targeted at Indians as well.

Yup good recovery but on day 1 and based on that second session it's well below par

Totally depends on how Pakistan fare when they inevitably get in. Could be a tough time to bat, at which point England may be happy sacrificing a few runs in the first innings to have a pop at them tonight.