English cricket thread

Yep, pitch is turning a fair bit, can't see England chasing this myself but will keep the hope alive.

We are going to end up having a horrible final hour when the pitch seems to really play up - maybe the heavy roller between innings will spare us. But could easy be 50-3 overnight (assuming we take these final two wickets quickly).

We are going to end up having a horrible final hour when the pitch seems to really play up - maybe the heavy roller between innings will spare us. But could easy be 50-3 overnight (assuming we take these final two wickets quickly).

Yep frustrating as Pakistan's tail in the 1st innings and dropped catches in both innings have cost us quite a bit.

I think a few of the 'ha typical England' tropes that get thrown at them in here are a little unfair - but consistently struggling to run through a tail has been a problem since...forever?

I think a few of the 'ha typical England' tropes that get thrown at them in here are a little unfair - but consistently struggling to run through a tail has been a problem since...forever?
extreme pace and spin usually account for them. we’ve struggled to produce either of those and/or keep them fit for a long time.

Looks like the final session last night and today will be the death of England. Fielding looks very sorry and tired now.

England have had some hilarious bad luck in this match. DRS working to over turn out decision and an over later it's not working to overturn not out

Stokes really missed a trick here by holding back the fast bowlers to the last 2. Gave away 30 runs too many

Need Duckett to repeat his first innings, the longer he bats the more Pakistan will feel the pressure. If he goes tonight I think that's the game.

Was always Pakistan's game after they posted a reasonable first innings total.

They've been ahead of the game ever since - but it's not done yet, the names in that England line up always sniff at a miracle, but it would be (another) one

Need Pope to repeat his innings from India last year, the longer he bats the more Pakistan will feel the pressure. If he goes tonight I think that's the game.

:o

Oooh lovely delivery that. Crawley on a slow spinner doesn't look great does he.

They've been ahead of the game ever since - but it's not done yet, the names in that England line up always sniff at a miracle, but it would be (another) one

Not happening, Heaps. The new ball is turning loads...it's a proper handful.

Not this side's style but considering it seems to be doing a bit more when the ball is newer and it's a short session, they could have done something radical and promote Leach to open. Aside from Root he's probably got the most experience of batting on pitches that are spinning and is pretty solid defensively.

Not this side's style but considering it seems to be doing a bit more when the ball is newer and it's a short session, they could have done something radical and promote Leach to open. Aside from Root he's probably got the most experience of batting on pitches that are spinning and is pretty solid defensively.
Sorry mate i'm not having this :lol:

But fair enough if you'd back it.

Imagine reversing the batting order until tomorrow morning:lol:

Sorry mate i'm not having this :lol:

But fair enough if you'd back it.
It likely wouldn't work but I wouldn't have minded giving it a go. It's not far off a situation you'd see a night-watchman come in sometimes anyway. If he could have helped see off the new ball and protect one of the other batters going into tomorrow then it would have been job done.

He's batted in conditions similar to this at Taunton before and often he looks more comfortable than top-order players in them.