English cricket thread

:lol: I know -maybe I'm still waiting for a decent answer. Surely you could use the early days of a test that starts on a Tuesday to get schools in/make cheap seats available for new audiences.

So every test / country is different but....

- Tuesday start, in ridiculous heat.
- Stadium is out of town
- Cricket watching culture in the ground very different in Asia
- Venue only confirmed at the last minute
- Teams is a complete shambles.

But yes, would be nice to see a few more in - but it's barely ever been any different.

Very frustrating day this for England, catch dropped and now a review not taken for a Rizwan catch. Bowled so much better than 200/4

Absolutely abysmal performance by the women's team in a knockout game. Credit to West Indies for completely out playing them

Absolutely abysmal performance by the women's team in a knockout game. Credit to West Indies for completely out playing them
Really disappointing that they’re heading out this stage!

As you say, just completely blown it today.

They were back in it a moment ago but those two sixes…

Funny, I went into that match assuming I was an England fan, as I usually am by default. Ten minutes into the West Indies innings and I really wanted them to win. It was that all or nothing approach to the first couple of overs that won me over.

England beat themselves with the dropped catches, but it was still nice to see the West Indies win.

Pakistan 366 all out. Unless the pitch really deteriorates, England will be fairly satisfied with limiting Pakistan to that first up.

Zak has been struggling and looked to be a wicket in waiting

This is where England's approach is most valuable imo. England's openers have looked dodgy for basically a decade now, but the speed at which they now score makes opening 50 stands much more common.

Even if one falls relatively early, there's usually a score of sorts on the board.

Losing a wicket within 10 overs is never ideal but if you can offset with a score of 50-70 it's a lot more palatable. Also prevents pressure and momentum from the fielding side growing.

Now watch England get bowled out for 120 here :lol:

Pope and Crawley worryingly out of nick. I know Pope is highly regarded and is still relatively young, but averaging 34 after nearly 90 innings is just nowhere near good enough. I'm sure a lack of decent openers over a lot of that exposed him earliy, but still. Number 3 and 4 are meant to be your best players and should still be capable of dealing with the new ball more often than not.

I wouldn't want to be chasing many in the last innings on this, we could do with a 50+ lead.

I was watching on mute. Did Pakistan review that for an edge because it was caught, or was it the worst LBW review I’ve ever seen?

I was watching on mute. Did Pakistan review that for an edge because it was caught, or was it the worst LBW review I’ve ever seen?

Unenthusiastic review for a nick - only the captain wanted it.

Going back to the bowling, Carse has been impressive again in this test which is a really good sign. Another example of someone who you'd look at their county stats and not necessarily highlight as being able to make that step up, only for them to make an immediate impact. Selectors deserve credit for looking past averages and getting these calls right more often than not.

Huge half an hour for Pakistan here - got to be a chance to run through us.

Harsh (for now) - this looks tough to bat on. It's deteriorating fast.

Collapse is on!

No surprise Stokes didn't last long - hasn't batted for months and came out on a turner.

Pakistan big Favs now. We wont chase 200 batting last on this.