English cricket thread

No Wood, no Stokes and no bowling coach (for a day at least), I’d say this trumps any of the wins from the last tour here.

Great performance by England, to win the game like that after the Pakistani first inning was quite an achievement no matter how bad the opposition are.
What’s going on with Pakistan? I’m looking at their lineup, I know quite a few from county cricket, and it’s not as if they don’t have any good batters or bowlers. There’s actually 2 outstanding players in that side. So why are Pakistan performing so poorly?

Great win, one of the most pleasing aspects was the application England showed in their batting. Felt that was missing from previous matches but they really showed it here to bat for that long in hot conditions. Credit to the bowlers as well for getting all the wickets on a flat deck.

England wrapped that up fairly quickly thanks mainly to Leach. Valiant effort by the quicks; Carse looked good on debut, I thought.

Bashir was very poor in this test match. Not enough control for a test level spinner and can't bat or field.

The only other option is to bring in Rehan Ahmed but why didn't Hartley or Jacks come on tour?

Last edited:
England wrapped that up fairly quickly thanks mainly to Leach. Valiant effort by the quicks; Carse looked good on debut, I thought.

Bashir was very poor in this test match. Not enough control for a test level spinner and can't bat or field.

The only other option is to bring in Rehan Ahmed but why didn't Hartley or Jacks come on tour?
I think the future of England’s spin bowling might actually be Regan’s younger brother.

If there’s one thing I’ll always back in terms of Key/McCullum’s selection policy it’s their insistence to stick with players even after a bad test. Bashir’s showed tremendous promise and has hit a little rough patch (partly influenced by not having Stokes out there) and he needs to play through it. He’ll have his ups and downs and England have to stick with him. Go ask Moeen Ali how he felt after he got dropped in the 2019 Ashes. Spinners, especially English ones require great care. I know there’s a fine line between backing him and sending him out there to get his confidence destroyed but its vital he feels backed and trusted, short term pain for long term gain.

Hartley barely bowled in the season just gone and he’s not going to get picked ahead of a fit Leach, Jacks is another off spinner with Root and Bashir there so you go for a leggie as the point of difference. The reality is you’re unlikely to need 3 spinners in Pakistan.

Incredible turn around from England from a seemingly impossible scenario. One of the great test match wins.

Is it me though or do England look a better batting unit away from home under McCullum? They seem way more balanced in their approach and put their foot down when the time is right. I think the reputation at home alongside crowd expectation can have a negative impact.

Bashir didn’t have a great match but he’s still young and this is all part of the learning process. Jacks is not a good enough bowler for test match cricket and I liked Hartley but as others have said he has hardly played. There are some really good young spinners around in county cricket so I expect some competition for places in the near future.

Superb from England. One of the most sensational performances in Test cricket I have seen.

Pakistan will continue to waste away until the PCB sorts itself out - which isn’t likely to happen. Disgraceful how far we’ve fallen over the last couple of years.

Root is “only” 715 runs away from
being second in the all-time scorers list.
It seems relatively certain that he’ll get there in not too long (we have 10 test matches in the next 10 months).

Question is, will he then try and get the 2500+ he’d need to overtake Tendulkar. I’m not certain he’ll try tbh, it’s a mammoth gap.

Pleased for Leach that he was the one to wrap it up. Had some tough times again this year but as always he's bounced back. 11 victories from 14 tests in Asia for him now.

If there’s one thing I’ll always back in terms of Key/McCullum’s selection policy it’s their insistence to stick with players even after a bad test. Bashir’s showed tremendous promise and has hit a little rough patch (partly influenced by not having Stokes out there) and he needs to play through it. He’ll have his ups and downs and England have to stick with him. Go ask Moeen Ali how he felt after he got dropped in the 2019 Ashes. Spinners, especially English ones require great care. I know there’s a fine line between backing him and sending him out there to get his confidence destroyed but its vital he feels backed and trusted, short term pain for long term gain.

Hartley barely bowled in the season just gone and he’s not going to get picked ahead of a fit Leach, Jacks is another off spinner with Root and Bashir there so you go for a leggie as the point of difference. The reality is you’re unlikely to need 3 spinners in Pakistan.
He's bowling too straight and it's a bit predictable. Needs to be bowling consistently on a fifth stump line to tempt the drive.

I'm not sure why he's bowling that way but he obviously has to tweak his line.

Incredible

So spin from day 1? I acknowledge that home teams should be able to curate pitches that suit their strengths and it’s a part of the challenge of touring but I think there’s a big risk the first 2 pitches we’ll see in this series will reflect poorly on Pakistani cricket. Potentially going from a flat road, to a turner with big cracks and uneven bounce. I don’t think there’s a need to go from one extremity to another and I’m not actually sure either of those actually suit Pakistan’s bowling attack.

Babar dropped, Shaheen rested. Stokes likely to come back too.

I don't get the strategy of making this a spinning track given that our pace bowlers are off better quality than our spinners. Maybe you could say our batsman play spin better than pace.

No Naseem Shah either according to Dobell. Reading the piece about Babar getting dropped it said it was formalised in a meeting of of the PCB chairman, the 5 man selection committee, the 5 mentors they had recently appointed to the PCB, the captain, head coach and head curator for pitches. So just the 14 voices in that selection meeting.

People are saying thats 4 spinners and 1 seamer? Must be expecting turn from the get go.
I think they’ve over done it slightly on the spin front, need at least 2 seamers. It’s very dry and cracked, the ball will reverse and there will be variable bounce.

I know it's a Tuesday but why is there literally no-one in the crowd? It's such a bad look for the game

Looking like a tricky one to judge a par score here. It's turning a bit, definetly signs it could genuinely break up day 3/4.

We have this conversation on games in the sub continent everytime :lol:

:lol: I know -maybe I'm still waiting for a decent answer. Surely you could use the early days of a test that starts on a Tuesday to get schools in/make cheap seats available for new audiences.