English cricket thread

Rehan Ahmed’s younger brother Farhan (off spinner) has made his County Championship debut against Surrey at the age of 16 and he’s taken 4-69 off 28 overs (Notts have only taken 5 wickets today!). He played in Sri Lanka’s warm up against England Lions too and took 3-87. Incredibly impressive at that age.
Rocky Flintoff and Archie Vaughan have also made their FC debuts in the last couple weeks. 16 and 18. Lots of family connections.

Rehan Ahmed’s younger brother Farhan (off spinner) has made his County Championship debut against Surrey at the age of 16 and he’s taken 4-69 off 28 overs (Notts have only taken 5 wickets today!). He played in Sri Lanka’s warm up against England Lions too and took 3-87. Incredibly impressive at that age.
Finished with 7/140, and 4 of them being international batsman, definitely looking like another teenager to keep an eye on, unfortunately fellow teenager’s Flintoff and McKinney didn’t have the same success with the bat scoring 0 & 15 respectively. Was hoping that Fintoff was going to be an all-rounder like his dad was.

Agree. But we can't play India and Australia every year can we?

Unfortunately, test cricket is a poor advert for test cricket right now. Pakistan, South Africa, West Indies, Sri Lanka and Zimbabwe are all shadows of what they were in the 90s and New Zealand look to be regressing.

I think Sri Lanka and West Indies have shown there’s not a skill deficit but there’s an exposure deficit, their players just aren’t exposed to playing long format cricket in foreign conditions so they’re prone to having one horror session that kills them after a lot of good cricket.

Before this series I was shocked to find this was Sri Lanka’s first tour to England since 2016!

I think the game has completely messed itself up by design, the big 3 boards want the big 3 teams playing 5 match series against one another as often as possible, other boards don’t bring the money in and don’t make money hosting tours and as a result their players don’t play enough test cricket to develop and hone the skills needed to be consistently good at test cricket.

Mendis batting 7 when their top order can’t buy a partnership is certainly a choice.

I think Sri Lanka and West Indies have shown there’s not a skill deficit but there’s an exposure deficit, their players just aren’t exposed to playing long format cricket in foreign conditions so they’re prone to having one horror session that kills them after a lot of good cricket.

Before this series I was shocked to find this was Sri Lanka’s first tour to England since 2016!

I think the game has completely messed itself up by design, the big 3 boards want the big 3 teams playing 5 match series against one another as often as possible, other boards don’t bring the money in and don’t make money hosting tours and as a result their players don’t play enough test cricket to develop and hone the skills needed to be consistently good at test cricket.
There is too much T20 going on. Then you add an ICC ' T20 world cup' every 2 year. I believe ICC should scrap some of these useless events and restrict players from playing too much franchise cricket. International teams need to play more 50 overs cricket and less T20. 50 over skill sets are more comparable to test cricket. I would argue these same teams will also perform poorly in ODI cricket. Keep T20 restricted to associate nations, and apart from T20 world cup, don't encourage it among full members.

Sri Lanka’s batting order is annoying me. They’ve got their keeper opening and a bloke averaging a bucket load batting with the tail most of the time. Get Nissanka up top and Kamindu in at 3.

There is too much T20 going on. Then you add an ICC ' T20 world cup' every 2 year. I believe ICC should scrap some of these useless events and restrict players from playing too much franchise cricket. International teams need to play more 50 overs cricket and less T20. 50 over skill sets are more comparable to test cricket. I would argue these same teams will also perform poorly in ODI cricket. Keep T20 restricted to associate nations, and apart from T20 world cup, don't encourage it among full members.
I think we all know there’s no chance of that happening.

Not a fan of Dan Lawrence but that was a poor decision by the Australian third umpire.

Going off the technology, yes, it may have hit his bat but it's far from conclusive, and I didn't detect two movements (i.e. the ball jagging back onto Lawrence's pad). The lines on the snicko seemed more consistent with pad impact than a nick.

In the case of uncertainty, the decision should rest with the on-field umpire.

Not a fan of Dan Lawrence but that was a poor decision by the Australian third umpire.

Going off the technology, yes, it may have hit his bat but it's far from conclusive, and I didn't detect two movements (i.e. the ball jagging back onto Lawrence's pad). The lines on the snicko seemed more consistent with pad impact than a nick.

In the case of uncertainty, the decision should rest with the on-field umpire.

I can see why the umpire gave it with the evidence provided but it was weird that in real time it seemed like there was no nick and then when slowed down it looked like there could have been.

On the subject of Lawrence, he’s Bazball’s Dom Sibley, no offside game to speak of which means international class bowlers will find it too easy to bowl to him and get him out eventually. Bit mad he’s going to end up playing more tests than James Vince.

He’s skittish most of the time, giving him the captaincy seems to be a bad idea.
Just seems like he’s trying too hard to prove a point. Just have a look at it first, you’re playing opposite Root who has calmly got 17 from 23.

Brook is going to get similar stuff by the looks of it.

Just seems like he’s trying too hard to prove a point. Just have a look at it first, you’re playing opposite Root who has calmly got 17 from 23.

Brook is going to get similar stuff by the looks of it.

The review they did on him for caught behind said a lot, he was bricking it when they reviewed and was super relieved when it wasn’t out. Even though he was miles away from the ball. The game’s going at a million miles per hour for him.

Barring Root there is zero greed for runs in this lineup, they just don’t like easy singles
They’re 333 runs ahead. I’m not sure it’s worth a decision today, they were always going to come out and play this way. If ever there’s some time to have some fun, it’s now.

They’re 333 runs ahead. I’m not sure it’s worth a decision today, they were always going to come out and play this way. If ever there’s some time to have some fun, it’s now.
It’s Ashes 2023 PTSD kicking in.

I think if it was day 4 it would make complete sense but it’s day 3 and there is more than enough time to just play a bit of risk free cricket and build your stats

Sangakkara is such a good addition to the commentary team a pleasure to listen to.
I was thinking during the first test that the Sky team in general are just so knowledgeable and fantastic I listen to. Makes a mockery of some of the commentary teams you get in football.

I was thinking during the first test that the Sky team in general are just so knowledgeable and fantastic I listen to. Makes a mockery of some of the commentary teams you get in football.
Totally agree mate I was thinking that too,it maybe due to the fast nature of football that takes way from the more incisive viewpoints during a game but test cricket really has no equal when it comes to commentators be it ex players or not making the day go by soo easily with chats about the history of games moments etc im very drunk btw family party so might be rambling : )))

I think if it was day 4 it would make complete sense but it’s day 3 and there is more than enough time to just play a bit of risk free cricket and build your stats
Nah, they just scored 140 with the loss of 3 wickets. Maybe they could have scored 80 and only lost one wicket, but frankly what’s the point. I’d rather see some boundaries than someone’s average sitting 5 runs higher.

Apart from Root. He can do whatever he wants to keep that average above 50 and chase down Sachin.

Nah, they just scored 140 with the loss of 3 wickets. Maybe they could have scored 80 and only lost one wicket, but frankly what’s the point. I’d rather see some boundaries than someone’s average sitting 5 runs higher.

Apart from Root. He can do whatever he wants to keep that average above 50 and chase down Sachin.
Well this is the thing with the field out, England can pretty easily go at 4/5 an over with picking the gaps for 1s and 2s and putting bad balls away.

Teams obviously lose a little intensity with such a large lead and it is proper nitpicking but if England seriously want to go out and win in Australia they’re going to need their batsmen to be greedy. Duckett, Crawley and Brook scoring pretty and aggressive run a ball 30s and 40s isn’t going to cut it and getting into those good habits is key.

Well this is the thing with the field out, England can pretty easily go at 4/5 an over with picking the gaps for 1s and 2s and putting bad balls away.

Teams obviously lose a little intensity with such a large lead and it is proper nitpicking but if England seriously want to go out and win in Australia they’re going to need their batsmen to be greedy. Duckett, Crawley and Brook scoring pretty and aggressive run a ball 30s and 40s isn’t going to cut it and getting into those good habits is key.
It’s whether you think that Crawley, Duckett, Pope are technically good enough batsmen to do what Root does against the best teams. We’ve our fair share of good starts under Stokes, much more than what we had previously playing tentatively. Of course the field wouldn’t be spread like this if England played more traditionally either.

I can’t watch till tea but it looks like Root needs to score quick if he wants his hundred.

It’s whether you think that Crawley, Duckett, Pope are technically good enough batsmen to do what Root does against the best teams. We’ve our fair share of good starts under Stokes, much more than what we had previously playing tentatively. Of course the field wouldn’t be spread like this if England played more traditionally either.

I can’t watch till tea but it looks like Root needs to score quick if he wants his hundred.

I think what really separates good players from great ones is shot selection, of course technique gives you the fortune to have more shots to choose from but the mental aspect of the game is the key differentiator at this level. Think of all the heavy run scorers we’ve seen, all the different technical approaches and then think about what they have in common.

I have nothing against batting aggressively but you have to understand that in most cases in test cricket (not in this innings) the value of a batters wicket is very high and so important to be aggressive but not be reckless. Brook for example has a lot of ability but he is very reckless at times. If you hit a 35 ball 40 and then get out in test cricket then a lot of times the bowling side has won the battle

I have nothing against batting aggressively but you have to understand that in most cases in test cricket (not in this innings) the value of a batters wicket is very high and so important to be aggressive but not be reckless. Brook for example has a lot of ability but he is very reckless at times. If you hit a 35 ball 40 and then get out in test cricket then a lot of times the bowling side has won the battle
1 century in his last 21 innings I’ve read, I’m slightly concerned he’s starting to undersell himself.

1 century in his last 21 innings I’ve read, I’m slightly concerned he’s starting to undersell himself.

Sometimes in cricket I think talent can get in the way of scoring big runs. Brook has so many shots he has many different options to the same ball. This sounds great but I think it contributes to him getting out when set. Compare this to Cook who jokingly says he only had 2 shots but there is a clarity and method to his run scoring. Brook’s test strike rate is 88 runs per hundred balls which is nearly 30 more than every other test batsman (bar Sehwag and Duckett) Joe Root strikes at 68 and I think if Brook is to reach Root levels of consistency he needs to put some shots away that involve any risk to score the big runs that win you test matches

This innings has taken Root past Sangakarra and could take him past Gooch (another 18 needed). Barring injury or catastrophic loss of form it seems inevitable that everyone other than Tendulkar will be overhauled.