English cricket thread

Stupid shot from Duckett. He almost got out playing the same shot not long ago. Stop with the limited overs shit and just play test cricket for God's sake.

Again small difference between aggressive & reckless. Duckett batted brilliantly till he got to 60 and just crazy after that

Dan Lawrence retains his place then.

Are we really picking the best players available, here?

If you're an English opener in CC scoring runs and see this guy getting out to something on 6th or 7th stump line it must be pretty galling.

Lawrence is a decent player of spin but against a moving red ball he's extremely suspect outside off stump.

It seems bizarre to me that we think he's better than Jacks as a middle order batter / spinner, and surely we don't see him as a genuine opener option? I don't know if Jacks could open either but at least he's a more talented bowler.

And you're right, if you're someone like e.g. Compton or Muyeye surely you'd be wondering what you have to do to get a game over Lawrence. Even the likes of Sibley and Jennings have shown a lot more in recent times than they ever managed when they got their England chances, they actually play aggressive knocks at times.

Brook really needs his head checked honestly. This is just absolutely crazy batting and it’s insane that the coaches are allowing him to to bat like this

Doubt we'll get much play after tea going by earlier light readings. England could do with these two coming back tomorrow.

It seems bizarre to me that we think he's better than Jacks as a middle order batter / spinner, and surely we don't see him as a genuine opener option? I don't know if Jacks could open either but at least he's a more talented bowler.

And you're right, if you're someone like e.g. Compton or Muyeye surely you'd be wondering what you have to do to get a game over Lawrence. Even the likes of Sibley and Jennings have shown a lot more in recent times than they ever managed when they got their England chances, they actually play aggressive knocks at times.
I just can't imagine that a set up as professional as England's can look at Dan Lawrence's head position drifting to the off side and say, 'yep, he'll be fine as an opening bat in tests'. No player is perfect and Dan Lawrence does have some ability, but there are some pretty glaring technical flaws that make you wonder what is going on.

I just can't imagine that a set up as professional as England's can look at Dan Lawrence's head position drifting to the off side and say, 'yep, he'll be fine as an opening bat in tests'. No player is perfect and Dan Lawrence does have some ability, but there are some pretty glaring technical flaws that make you wonder what is going on.
Pretty sure they don't... Think the logic was that Crawley will be coming straight back in when fit, no matter what.

Rather than pick an opener and then have a tough decision if he did well, they've kept loyal to Crawley and just selected the next batter in line, in and around the squad (Lawrence).

Whether that's right/fair to other county openers is another question.

Pope struggling with Vishwara Fernando here. Would he be better taking guard slightly more towards leg stump perhaps?

Really not sure how to feel here. We're losing wickets in odd ways but also I think this is a very good score in the conditions.

The lack of brains in this batting line up is so painful, how have they managed to get out for a total like this

Currently sat at the oval enjoying a great atmosphere. Odd morning given the number of wickets that went down. That said, this is a day you would much rather be bowling. England's quicks are probably licking their lips. Could be a crazy day with the game needing to be moved along quickly.

The lack of brains in this batting line up is so painful, how have they managed to get out for a total like this

Tbf I think they're less focused in this Test than before they'd won the series and a lot less than they would have been against e.g. India / Australia but it is a bit arrogant and disappointing to think you can try ramps every ball because you're better than the opposition. It's both disrespectful and shows a lack of patience that better teams will now know to target (if they didn't already). Duckett and Brook are the worst offenders of course, they could have both gone and got centuries if they'd had the right application. You don't have a god given right to strike at 100 throughout, sometimes you have to earn it by scrapping along at 40/50/60 until conditions change in your favour.

In saying all that, I think it's a good score and England will go on to win, but that's more because of Sri Lanka's failings on day 1 than England's good play. Pope obviously did very well despite being in scratchy form though, he rode his luck a bit but battled well overall in tough conditions.

England realising now that maybe slogging every ball when you were in a good position wasn’t a great idea