English cricket thread

Genuinely interested to see a team play England and go short ball from ball 1 to see how England handle it. I’m convinced they’d get rolled out for 120.

A light watchman is interesting, feel like it says you don’t fancy being out there though.

What if the spinners stay on for the next hour are they just going to keep turning down singles? Really odd.

I can see why the umpire gave it with the evidence provided but it was weird that in real time it seemed like there was no nick and then when slowed down it looked like there could have been.
Yes, I think it has to be more clear cut than that for the third ump to give out. Lawrence may well have nicked it but the batsman should get the benefit of the doubt imo. I would have expected to see a small spike on snicko followed by the bigger one of the ball hitting the pads.

Not a big call in the context of the game mind.

I think what really separates good players from great ones is shot selection, of course technique gives you the fortune to have more shots to choose from but the mental aspect of the game is the key differentiator at this level. Think of all the heavy run scorers we’ve seen, all the different technical approaches and then think about what they have in common.
I’m not sure. I think there’s lots of technical flaws with how the likes of Duckett and Crawley bat, but deciding whether to leave or play a ball and edging it to slip could be argued as bad shot selection or technique.

I’m not 100% sure shot selection comes into the mind of Crawley. If it’s pitched up outside of off, he’s driving, rightly or wrongly. Technically he’s not solid trying to defend those balls.

How many test runs can Root get to? I’d guess he may be able to overtake Ponting in 2nd (13378), but not Sachin (with15921).

I’m not sure. I think there’s lots of technical flaws with how the likes of Duckett and Crawley bat, but deciding whether to leave or play a ball and edging it to slip could be argued as bad shot selection or technique.

I’m not 100% sure shot selection comes into the mind of Crawley. If it’s pitched up outside of off, he’s driving, rightly or wrongly. Technically he’s not solid trying to defend those balls.

I’d argue with Duckett and Crawley it’s their strengths that cause them their issues, if they were selective and deliberate in assessing situations and choosing which balls to play rather than just playing at everything they’d score more.

I’d argue with Duckett and Crawley it’s their strengths that cause them their issues, if they were selective and deliberate in assessing situations and choosing which balls to play rather than just playing at everything they’d score more.
I know what you’re saying. I just think if you take away that mindset of scoring freely, hardly any of the batsman in the team would be as effective. That said, they should still find a balance but that’s not going to come 300 runs ahead.

I think no one is asking these players to stop playing their shots, they have shown over the last couple of years that they are much better playing like that but there is a fine line between playing shots & being reckless. My biggest disappointment is with Brook who has the skills to be a world class test player but he is in far too rush for some reason

I know that we think of Root as different class but for me the reverse scoop is the perfect example, after the dismissal in India there was a lot of criticism and whilst his first reaction was to say that he doesn’t think that it’s high risk but it’s obvious that he realised that for his ability it’s a very high risk shot & since then he has put it away

In essence I think Duckett, Crawley etc playing shots is fine but if the fielding team puts 7 fielders on the boundary and you are trying to hit the ball for 6 rather than trying to milk runs in all the gaps then that’s just foolish imo

A while back when there was talk of 'the fab four' I used to think Root was slightly fortunate to be included amongst them. That's certainly no longer the case, in the last few years especially he's been a class above the other three.

Just a pleasure to watch him bat, long may it continue.

A while back when there was talk of 'the fab four' I used to think Root was slightly fortunate to be included amongst them. That's certainly no longer the case, in the last few years especially he's been a class above the other three.

Just a pleasure to watch him bat, long may it continue.
I agree. During that period where he could not convert to save his life it did seem to flatter him a bit but as you say that's hard to imagine now.

I think no one is asking these players to stop playing their shots, they have shown over the last couple of years that they are much better playing like that but there is a fine line between playing shots & being reckless. My biggest disappointment is with Brook who has the skills to be a world class test player but he is in far too rush for some reason

I know that we think of Root as different class but for me the reverse scoop is the perfect example, after the dismissal in India there was a lot of criticism and whilst his first reaction was to say that he doesn’t think that it’s high risk but it’s obvious that he realised that for his ability it’s a very high risk shot & since then he has put it away

In essence I think Duckett, Crawley etc playing shots is fine but if the fielding team puts 7 fielders on the boundary and you are trying to hit the ball for 6 rather than trying to milk runs in all the gaps then that’s just foolish imo
Like you say, Root has adapted and found his way after a challenging start under Stokes. I think Brook is still averaging over 58 and so it’s to really criticise what he’s doing that much.

Players are now being asked to play all three formats and the difference between a T20 and traditional test cricket are so much bigger than when the previous greats were playing. I’m not sure we’ll see many more traditional test batsmen as the money is in franchise cricket.

As an example, I think there’s multiple innings where 30 years ago, Root would have turned his 100s into 200s because he would have had people at the other end sticking with him. Yesterday he had to really put his foot down to score a hundred.

I think these things aren’t really considered when comparing a Root to some of the batters around him on the all time lists. Even Smith has spent most of his career playing with better batters. Anyway, I do think we get carried away with individual stats when there’s so much more context behind them. This England are infinitely more fun to watch, even when frustrating at times. Thats what cricket is about, not averages.

Lot of empty seats. Completely dead atmosphere. I dare say a few more would come if you made it less than £100 for an adult admission.

Lots of good spin performances in the last round of the County Championship

Jack Carson - 97 & 11/157 with the ball
Liam Dawson - 104* & 10/99 with the ball
Farhan Ahmed - 10/217
Will Jacks - 59 & 7/129
Jack Leach - 12/174

A little surprised this England regime hasn’t done more with Jacks in red ball stuff.

Farhan Ahmed - 10/217
Will Jacks - 59 & 7/129
Jack Leach - 12/174

A little surprised this England regime hasn’t done more with Jacks in red ball stuff.
Interesting to see what they do with the Pakistan squad. Bashir will obviously be in but I assume that we would want to take 3 spinners. They have clearly decided that they won’t pick Dawson even though he would be pretty useful from a balance point of view. I think they might pick Hartley again even though he hasn’t done much while Leach has been bowling alright. Jacks is not helped by the fact that Bashir & Root are there already

Farhan Ahmed - 10/217
Will Jacks - 59 & 7/129
Jack Leach - 12/174

End of the season and finally the pitches are dry!

Interesting to see what they do with the Pakistan squad. Bashir will obviously be in but I assume that we would want to take 3 spinners. They have clearly decided that they won’t pick Dawson even though he would be pretty useful from a balance point of view. I think they might pick Hartley again even though he hasn’t done much while Leach has been bowling alright. Jacks is not helped by the fact that Bashir & Root are there already

Carson’s a lock I reckon because he’s tall, good backup for Bashir, Leach will go too. Dawson’s time has gone unfortunately.

I’m pretty big on Jacks and I think England are missing a trick not pushing him more in the red ball stuff. I think they need to consider that perhaps Stokes’ all round slot might be filled by a spinning all rounder rather than a fast bowling all rounder.

I’m disappointed with how Rehan’s developed, I think England missed another trick not taking him to the ODI and T20 World Cups and just playing him. Especially in the ODI one, no better way to develop a young leg spinner than getting him on tracks that are conducive to spin and having Rashid there on the field to mentor him.

End of the season and finally the pitches are dry!
Was a Kookaburra round, interestingly County Cricket’s response to that ball has been picking more spinners rather than fielding faster bowlers who can reverse it. Clearly a rarer commodity.

Happy about Baz getting the white ball job, the mood around the white ball team has been down for the last year so I think this was needed

Good. No idea how talented the kid is but if ever there's a time to give someone their first exposure to test cricket it's this match right here.

Dan Lawrence retains his place then.

Are we really picking the best players available, here?

If you're an English opener in CC scoring runs and see this guy getting out to something on 6th or 7th stump line it must be pretty galling.

Lawrence is a decent player of spin but against a moving red ball he's extremely suspect outside off stump.

Last edited:
I don't really see why it's necessary to come off in these conditions, yes it's a bit grim but neither side has any issues out there.

Just noticed J.Overton is the replacement for Buttler for the T20 series against Australia, which leaves the squad with only two players who aren't bowling options - Salt and Cox. It's a squad full of bowlers and all-rounders. It gives a ton of flexibility but surely its missing one or two more batting options.

Just noticed J.Overton is the replacement for Buttler for the T20 series against Australia, which leaves the squad with only two players who aren't bowling options - Salt and Cox. It's a squad full of bowlers and all-rounders. It gives a ton of flexibility but surely its missing one or two more batting options.
Yeah when I checked the squad on cricbuzz there was no one under the batters heading which is so good