English cricket thread

Pretty long tail for England, especially when it includes Bashir, who for all his promise with the ball, cannot bat.

Surprised they haven't gone for S. Curran as one of the seamers. Adds variety with the left arm and a useful batsman.

Pretty long tail for England, especially when it includes Bashir, who for all his promise with the ball, cannot bat.

Surprised they haven't gone for S. Curran as one of the seamers. Adds variety with the left arm and a useful batsman.
We don't fancy Curran for the longer term and...
It's a team that suggests we think Sri Lanka are shit.

Jamie Smith looks a real find. He always seems to have plenty of time which is the sign of a class bat.

Jamie Smith really does look a proper player, technically very solid and has all the shots against different types of bowling. What a find! He’s way too good to bat at 7, I’d move him above Stokes in the batting line up when Stokes is back. Root, Brook and Smith batting 4, 5 and 6 looks a frighteningly good prospect.

Overall another impressive win, there were mistakes but some very positive performances. Wood won’t be there now so I assume stone will come in but I think the team needs more batting so they might have to consider Curran

Overall another impressive win, there were mistakes but some very positive performances. Wood won’t be there now so I assume stone will come in but I think the team needs more batting so they might have to consider Curran
Maybe if it was Woakes that got injured. They’ve made it pretty clear they’re looking towards the ashes and Curran has no chance of going.

Maybe if it was Woakes that got injured. They’ve made it pretty clear they’re looking towards the ashes and Curran has no chance of going.
I get that point but Sri Lanka have shown that they are going to be competitive so I was wondering if they will change their mind a bit. Our fast bowling resources are so fragile and I really think that this team is couple of really good seamers away from being very good

Josh Hull picked in the squad. Another out of the box selection for a bowler who has done pretty badly in county cricket but is clearly a profile they want to groom in the squad.

Josh Hull picked in the squad. Another out of the box selection for a bowler who has done pretty badly in county cricket but is clearly a profile they want to groom in the squad.
Did really well against Sri Lanka for the Lions though, taking 3/30 and 2/44. He's been spoken about as on their radar pretty much since he made his debut. Tall, left-arm, touching 90mph and swings it so that's an exciting profile.

Shame ‘Bazball’ is synonymous with the style of England’s play and not England’s approach to selection under McCullum, which will most likely end up proving more beneficial to English cricket in the long term.

Bashir was an inspired selection. Interesting to see what England do with Hull, who on the surface looks nowhere near ready.

I get that point but Sri Lanka have shown that they are going to be competitive so I was wondering if they will change their mind a bit. Our fast bowling resources are so fragile and I really think that this team is couple of really good seamers away from being very good

They'd have to be genuinely quick seamers though or we'd have the same flaws as before. For years we've taken our 75mph bowlers who can seam / swing it well to Australia and India and got smashed. If we can get a team full of true quicks and spinners and can still win in England we're looking good. It appears we're trying to do that by profiling the players rather than going on county stats.

They'd have to be genuinely quick seamers though or we'd have the same flaws as before. For years we've taken our 75mph bowlers who can seam / swing it well to Australia and India and got smashed. If we can get a team full of true quicks and spinners and can still win in England we're looking good. It appears we're trying to do that by profiling the players rather than going on county stats.

There’s a fair amount of decently quick (85 mph +) and interesting bowlers in England, problem is most of them are injured/load managing or out of form.

J.Overton - Load Managing and not bowling currently
S.Mahmood - Load Managing
J.Archer - Load Managing
M.Wood - Injured
D.Pennington - Injured
J.Tongue - Injured
B.Stokes - Injured
J.Turner - Very interesting prospect but barely plays red ball at Hampshire

And then you have Stone, Atkinson and Hull in this squad. England will need 5 of them to be fit and in form by the end of 2025.

There’s a fair amount of decently quick (85 mph +) and interesting bowlers in England, problem is most of them are injured/load managing or out of form.

J.Archer - Load Managing
M.Wood - Injured
D.Pennington - Injured
J.Tongue - Injured
B.Stokes - Injured

And then you have Stone, Atkinson and Hull in this squad. England will need 5 of them to be fit and in form by the end of 2025.

Yeah, we've definitely got some, I was responding more to the point about the likes of Curran where we've made mistakes before. Looking at that list for batting depth, Stokes is vital to the team or we'd possibly have to consider Woakes on tour again?

Overton has looked decent with the bat I guess.

J.Archer - Load Managing
M.Wood - Injured
D.Pennington - Injured
J.Tongue - Injured
B.Stokes - Injured

Turner’s injured, but a very exciting prospect. Jaime Overton’s probably the one to watch with the Ashes in mind if he gets himself fit. His size & aggression should be tailor made for conditions down under and of course he bats. I think he’s a better batter than Woakes for example. He certainly considers himself a genuine all rounder.

Turner’s injured, but a very exciting prospect. Jaime Overton’s probably the one to watch with the Ashes in mind if he gets himself fit. His size & aggression should be tailor made for conditions down under and of course he bats. I think he’s a better batter than Woakes for example. He certainly considers himself a genuine all rounder.
Apparently not as he’s in the ODI and T20I squads for the Australia games. Exciting squads in both formats.

I like the refresh of the ODI side. Forget the Champions Trophy next year and use that to give tournament experience to younger players that are seen as likely to be involved at the next World Cup.

The last time England won in Australia their attack included Anderson, Tremlett, Bresnan, Swann, Broad, and Finn.

Steve Finn around that time was a genuinely quick bowler but the rest you would say were fast-medium. Anderson was certainly livelier in that period and usually bowling between 85-90 mph. It was one of his best tours.

Tremlett with his style of getting bounce and hitting the pitch hard was probably key and I think that is probably why they are looking at an inexperienced bowler like Josh Hull because he has similar attributes.

It's not necessarily about the pace of the bowler but having the discipline to bowl to set plans. That is why Tremlett, Finn, and Bresnan were so effective on that tour. Strauss's captaincy was brilliant.

Last edited:
The last time England won in Australia their attack included Anderson, Tremlett, Bresnan, Swann, Broad, and Finn.

Steve Finn around that time was a genuinely quick bowler but the rest you would say were fast-medium. Anderson was certainly livelier in that period and usually bowling between 85-90 mph. It was one of his best tours.

Tremlett with his style of getting bounce and hitting the pitch hard was probably key and I think that is probably why they are looking at an inexperienced bowler like Josh Hull because he has similar attributes.

It's not necessarily about the pace of the bowler but having the discipline to bowl to set plans. That is why Tremlett, Finn, and Bresnan were so effective on that tour. Strauss's captaincy was brilliant.
The timing was perfect for that side too. Core bowling unit was excellent, back up bowlers in top form with unique skills (reverse swing, pace, height) and the batters just scoring bucket loads whilst the Australian side was in transition.

I do think England could achieve something similar this time around but it will hinge on the fitness of the bowling unit.

Sri Lanka bowling first on a flat one at Lords when they have a very handy battling line up and spinners who want to bowl last...

Well that’s not going to help the discussion going on around Pope at number 3.

On Pope, I would probably hold off criticism on this series as it's incredibly tough to bat 3 and captain as well and I don't think he is up to doing both at the moment.

England really aren't helping with Lawrence opening and a long tail.

Pope has never been great at starting an innings, even for Surrey. Since that score in India he's struggled even more than usual to get himself in. They'll obviously give him time but it feels as though he needs a good winter to keep his place.

On Pope, I would probably hold off criticism on this series as it's incredibly tough to bat 3 and captain as well and I don't think he is up to doing both at the moment.

England really aren't helping with Lawrence opening and a long tail.

Why Dan Lawrence is still around the England setup continues to confuse me. Not up to this level imo.

I'm losing faith, fast. That India knock should have been the making of him, gone backwards this summer.
The strange thing is that he’s probably been coming out to bat in more favourable situations than any number three we’ve had for a while. Crawley and Duckett have been doing pretty well.

There’s no point going over the Bazball argument. It was just a terrible shot, regardless of wanting to pile on the runs quickly.

Why Dan Lawrence is still around the England setup continues to confuse me. Not up to this level imo.
He plays across the line a lot and that has always been a technique flaw that gets ruthlessly exposed at test level.

They're having a good day here Sri Lanka - still think it was mad not to bat, but if they bowl us out for under 300 they'll think job done.