English cricket thread

I missed the first hour and had it on mute most of the day. Only just found out that England were put into bat, what on earth is that all about?

The Root and Brook dismissals were embarrassing, no need for those shots. Stokes was unlucky to pick out the fielder but shouldn't be getting out to deliveries like that and Smith was also sloppy. England will take that score, but on that pitch, they should have got more. Will see how the Windies get on with the bat tomorrow.

I missed the first hour and had it on mute most of the day. Only just found out that England were put into bat, what on earth is that all about?

Windies can't bat. Their only route to a win is bowling us out cheap on a fresh wicket.

No pressure on if they bat first and hit at best 250.

Windies can't bat. Their only route to a win is bowling us out cheap on a fresh wicket.

No pressure on if they bat first and hit at best 250.
Figured it must have been them worried about an early collapse after the last test. Hopefully they make a go of it.

Bit of a silly swipe to lose that wicket. Wood’s into his last over or two so seems silly not to see that off.

Mad they didn’t use a review there. I thought it would be umpires call.

Really tough day for England, I can foresee a soft 2nd England innings where they shoot out for 150 and lose this test. Good Ashes prep :lol:

A word also for how naff the Dukes has become, constant ball changes every 20 overs or so and then you get a ball that does do something out of nowhere. There’s no way a test match ball should lose it’s shape that badly after 20 overs, either do away with changing the ball or make the ball last 80 overs.

Score looks about par for the conditions and it should have been better with the way Woods bowled, very unlucky. I still say that England should have put more runs on the board.

Score looks about par for the conditions and it should have been better with the way Woods bowled, very unlucky. I still say that England should have put more runs on the board.
If they can’t bat more than one entire day, they’re not winning a single test in Australia.

Yep exactly the point I was trying to make. This is not good enough against the top teams.
The cold hard reality that England have to face this summer is for all the talk over the years about their style of play, if they want to win Australia they’ll need a lot more discipline with bat and ball. Discipline to cash in and score big, discipline to take as many chances as possible in the field, discipline with DRS, discipline in building pressure and bowling dry. All of these have been lacking in this test match. They need to make significant progress in a short space of time to even compete in Australia right now.

Can we get Jimmy back for the 3rd test? Attack doesn’t look the same without him.

The cold hard reality that England have to face this summer is for all the talk over the years about their style of play, if they want to win Australia they’ll need a lot more discipline with bat and ball. Discipline to cash in and score big, discipline to take as many chances as possible in the field, discipline with DRS, discipline in building pressure and bowling dry. All of these have been lacking in this test match. They need to make significant progress in a short space of time to even compete in Australia right now.
Yep fully agree with you.

If they can’t bat more than one entire day, they’re not winning a single test in Australia.
Exactly... That's why the bat sensibly (at times)/seize control calls are still there. Not just the attitude of "oh well, bazball".

On this pitch/conditions, got to be looking to be ruthless - 500+, rather than throwing wickets away.

Watching the highlights.

Hodge dropped by Root on 16 to an easy chance. Athanaze looks like a talent.

They're both tiny men.
Last 3 series

Root dropped Marsh at Headingley who made a 100

Root dropped Rohit when he was less than 20 and he made a 100

Yesterday he dropped Hodge

He shouldn’t be at first slip

Joseph breaking roof tiles at Trent Bridge.

According to my memory of playground cricket rules that surely means six and out :lol: