English cricket thread

Would be good to see one of these pair bat the majority of the day.
If I had tickets for Saturday, I’d be very worried.

For all the talk of four day tests, I’m not sure why we’re not starting tests on Thursdays any more.

This team continues to be so frustrating, everytime they are on top they do dumb stuff and make the game interesting

It is an unusually weak tail for England after him, though.

Used to seeing the likes of Swann, Broad, etc..
Woakes is decent, but agree about the rest. Bashir looked like he’d never held a bat in his life.

If I had tickets for Saturday, I’d be very worried.

For all the talk of four day tests, I’m not sure why we’re not starting tests on Thursdays any more.
Definitely meant to say Friday :lol:

I’ve gotta pop out in a minute and I’m genuinely worried I might miss the last overs of Anderson’s career.

It is an unusually weak tail for England after him, though.

Used to seeing the likes of Swann, Broad, etc..

Woakes in at 8 is pretty decent. If the top 7 can't do a job with the bat, it's pointless picking bowlers just because they can bat a bit. We need to be stronger in the bowling department. If Archer can get fit, he can be decent with the bat. I'm surprised they went with Bashir over Hartley who is better with the bat but the bowling quality for both of them is the same.

Atkinson final ball of the day.

Anderson 10 overs, 2 for 11.

Why does he have to retire? Impeccable figures.

Unless there's something medically wrong with Jimmy, he should play on if he feels like it.

One thing that bugs me about cricket is if there is a wicket in the final over, the play ends there, why can’t the bowler finish the over.

Atkinson final ball of the day.

Anderson 10 overs, 2 for 11.

Why does he have to retire? Impeccable figures.

Unless there's something medically wrong with Jimmy, he should play on if he feels like it.
From the interviews I've listened to this week, it's a decision based on where England want to be in regards to the Ashes the winter after next. Jimmy will be 43 by then I think so doubtful he will be at the peak of his powers still.

Exactly this. If he retiring, at least give him the chance to surpass Warne.

You’d imagine that might even be down to four by the end of test. They should have rested him for the next one and let him finish at Edgbaston. At least the crowd would give him a better send, people barely getting off their seats at Lords.

It’s done though, they can’t reverse that decision now.

One match does not the Test bowler make, but this is some debut from Gus Atkinson.

Really hope he can carry it on and when the time comes adapt to foreign conditions as well.

You’d imagine that might even be down to four by the end of test. They should have rested him for the next one and let him finish at Edgbaston. At least the crowd would give him a better send, people barely getting off their seats at Lords.

It’s done though, they can’t reverse that decision now.

The following match is the Sri Lanka one at Old Trafford as well which couldn't have fallen any better really!

There are still two matches after that to start life without him so timing wise - although I do think they were right to plan for the next Ashes without him - it could have been done slightly different.

another 2.3 day test match. this is how we save test cricket-

reduce the test match to four days.

each team bats for a full day each, twice. you lose 30 runs per wicket. everyone must bat before any player can return to the crease. most runs at the end of 4 days wins.

if a day is rained off, tough titties, you are batting in t20 mode for 90 overs and praying for a miracle. this way, you get the structure of an odi, which people want, you get a guaranteed result, and the matches always last the allocated days.

The following match is the Sri Lanka one at Old Trafford as well which couldn't have fallen any better really!

There are still two matches after that to start life without him so timing wise - although I do think they were right to plan for the next Ashes without him - it could have been done slightly different.
I get the logic of not going into the start of another series with him. It’s quite savage to have him stay ready since the India series ended and then at the last minute tell him that he’s only playing one test this summer.

Kinda funny how Broad hit a six in his last innings and took a wicket with his last ball. Jimmy didn’t face a ball in the whole test and dropped a catch on a chance for the last wicket.

Kinda funny how Broad hit a six in his last innings and took a wicket with his last ball. Jimmy didn’t face a ball in the whole test and dropped a catch on a chance for the last wicket.

His last 5 test innings: 0*, 0, 0*, 0, 0

Has to be some kind of record.

Piss poor decision to make Lords Anderson’s last test. If it was going to be planned beforehand, should have been Old Trafford.
In fairness to Sky, they do these things very well, so it was good tv. I’m sure Jimmy will get a whole summer of being serenaded from the balcony of each ground.

I missed the day's play due to work. Very sad about his retirement - one of the greatest test cricketers ever and a huge personal favourite. Watching test cricket in England will not feel the same anymore.