English cricket thread

Sensible batting day from England, need to bat another 2 sessions minimum, no funky declarations. The pitch isn’t giving anything yet and they need to get the right balance between it wearing enough to get something into it for the spinners and having enough time to take 10 wickets.

This pitch seems similar to the one for Notts-Somerset a few weeks ago. A small amount of assistance right at the start of the game, flattened out by the end of day 1 and then just completely died after that.

Stokes will obviously go for the win but I'd be wanting a lead of at least 450.

Is there a written rule in Bazball that as soon as you get in a commanding position you must get out softly for the sake of entertainment?

That’s a shocking end to the session, they’ll do well to get a 400 run lead now.

Yeah not good at all with the new ball due. If England can get another 50 I’d still have them as big favourites.

I feel England should just declare after Root gets his hundred. As flat as this wicket is and as much as WI batted to a 400+ score in the first innings, a 340-350 target isn’t easy to chase in the 4th innings.

I feel England should just declare after Root gets his hundred. As flat as this wicket is and as much as WI batted to a 400+ score in the first innings, a 340-350 target isn’t easy to chase in the 4th innings.
What’s the point in declaring? If you don’t think WI can score 350 then England will only need 3 sessions max to bowl them out.

If England dont lose quick wickets, I don’t see there’s much point in declaring before tea. Maybe give them half hour before tea to see out.

For the West Indies to win this now would mean a total test score 1700+. Would that be some kind of record? I don't mean for anyone to win, but for a team chasing to win in a game of over 1700 runs scored?

I reckon England were set to declare at 400 so we are 15 short.

Can't see Windies making 250 this time but we have a game on, decent test match

It would take something monumental for the Windies to win this. Draw is out of the question unless there’s rain tomorrow.

The batting order is the best it has been for over a decade, get the bowling sorted and this team can compete with everyone apart from India in India

Cricket club in West Sussex bans sixes after neighbours’ damage complaints​

Players in Southwick told not to play top-scoring shot after damage to nearby windows, cars and sheds

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/a...-bans-players-hitting-sixes-damage-complaints

One of the world’s oldest cricket clubs has banned players from hitting sixes after complaints of damage from its neighbours.

Players at Southwick and Shoreham cricket club, near Brighton in West Sussex, face the unusual prospect of not being awarded the highest score from a single shot in the sport – which is achieved by hitting the ball over the boundary rope without it bouncing – after the club’s neighbours complained about damage to windows, cars and sheds.

In future those playing at the club, which was formed in 1790, have been warned that the first six they hit will not count for any runs – and if they hit a second one, they will be out.

One batter told MailOnline: “Hitting the bowler for a six is part of the glory of the sport. How can you ban it? It’s ridiculous. To take that away removes the joy of it. I don’t agree that the rules should be tinkered with in this fashion.”

It is understood that batters playing on the Green in recent years have been warned not to hit the ball in a particular area due to a neighbour threatening to call the police. Another player said: “Everything is about health and safety these days and insurance companies are charging a fortune to indemnify sports clubs against accidental damage or injury to bystanders.

“If you buy a house next to a cricket ground then you’ve got expect a few cricket balls in your garden.”

Telegraph reporting that the Glazers are interested in investing in a Hundred franchise. Ryan Reynolds and Rob McElhenney considering investment into the Welsh side as well apparently.

Telegraph reporting that the Glazers are interested in investing in a Hundred franchise. Ryan Reynolds and Rob McElhenney considering investment into the Welsh side as well apparently.
I think it’s more likely the ECB are trying to drum up some interest from anywhere.