English cricket thread

It’s quite common for a child to be given their fathers first name as the child’s surname.

Father: Ali Iqbal
Son: Naseem Ali

Hence, some might choose to use their first name on the shirt. Not sure if that’s the reason but the surname being adopted from fathers forename is common.
Right, thanks.

On the subject of balance though, is anyone else a bit surprised that Mooen hasn't got a chance?

They clearly like Bess and want to give him a run, but he's played two tests this summer without bowling a ball. Mooen is probably the better spinner and he's a good enough batsman to bat 7 in a Stokesless England side, plus it gives them a look ahead of an India tour.
Yes, I'm surprised too. But we don't know how Moeen's shaping up, do we.

He was a crucial part of the team for a few years but both his batting and his bowling collapsed last summer. Let's hope he recovers because he's a major asset to us.

Crawley just looks class, doesn't he. Reminds me of Root in the way he can keep the board moving without taking risks.

Can see him being a Hayden-style opener in the not-too-distant future.

A great first test hundred from Crawley. Made up for the lad.

On the subject of balance though, is anyone else a bit surprised that Mooen hasn't got a chance?

They clearly like Bess and want to give him a run, but he's played two tests this summer without bowling a ball. Mooen is probably the better spinner and he's a good enough batsman to bat 7 in a Stokesless England side, plus it gives them a look ahead of an India tour.
No, Mo has been poor for England for a while, in the Stokes vs Buttler game he took 2/70 and scored 11 runs. (I know it’s a different format) In the ODI series vs Ireland he to no wickets (0/115 in 25 overs in the 3 matches) and batted twice and only got 1 run. Thankfully India have some good seamers now so their pitchers are no longer just dust tracks so you could get a way with Bess (not that I think he’s any good) & Leach

I think there's a bit of 'reintegration' that needs to take place for Moeen to get back in to the test team. He felt he got a bit of raw deal when he was rightly dropped after the Edgbaston test last year:

“A lot of the time if we lose I feel I am one of the first guys to get the blame for it,” he told the BBC’s Cricket Social. “I found, yes, there have been days when I have not had good games but I feel sometimes it is easy to point the finger at me.

“It did get to me and that was one of the reasons why I needed to step back from Test cricket. I felt like I was drained from it all. I do think that but I have got to become a stronger person as well.

“A lot of people could see I probably needed a break. I felt fatigued and burnt out. I needed this break to recharge my batteries and work on a few things and just find that hunger and love for the game again. It’s been great.”

There were some whispers he was ready to play again for the Sri Lanka tour but he was not selected. I think Root and Silverwood have basically moved on and there's a bit of distrust between captain and player. It was also interesting to hear Smith suggest Rashid still had a chance with test cricket earlier this week.

Pitch looks very good for batting & these 2 looking solid. England should get 320+ from this position.

New ball will be essential if we’re going to stay in this game.

Don't get the hate Buttler gets on here. Guy is a match winner and can take any game away from the opponent in the blink of an eye. England fans don't deserve him.

Break out innings for Crawley. Think we are seeing the birth of a great test batsman.

He does need to convert these into 100s though, got to 50 19 times now but only once gone on to make a 100

Think he’s played this really well so far. He’s recognised Crawley needs someone to stick with him for now. He has the ability to turn it up, but for now this is exactly what England need.

The fact that he’s always seems to be coming in with less than 150 on the board and the pressure is on him to score big, can’t be easy. A 50 in these circumstances is probably just as important as blasting out a century after coming out at 250/300 odd.

Don't get the hate Buttler gets on here. Guy is a match winner and can take any game away from the opponent in the blink of an eye. England fans don't deserve him.
The way I see it personally is I always think well at least Buttler is still to bat, he could easily get 100. But he's actually only ever made 1 century and averages 32. I think very highly of him but want to see him average in the 40s.

Root only has one fifty all summer. I’d like the pundits to put some pressure on him as he is failing to deliver his basic requirements as a batsman right now

Root only has one fifty all summer. I’d like the pundits to put some pressure on him as he is failing to deliver his basic requirements as a batsman right now

There's a key aspect in helping Root fix his batting that has nothing to do with batting.

Being worse than Matt Prior goes against him especially with the bat (much lower average and believe it or not a lower S/R). Don’t hate him I just expect better, starting to do better with the bat but his now his glove work hasn’t been great recently.

Being worse than Matt Prior goes against him especially with the bat (much lower average and believe it or not a lower S/R). Don’t hate him I just expect better, starting to do better with the bat but his now his glove work hasn’t been great recently.

He does need to do better but Prior played in a much better batting lineup.

Well played Crawley.
Quality knock. Would love him to get 200 on his first time past 100. Can't be loads who've done that surely?
Little note since Strauss is commentating at the moment, 8 runs and Crawley will have beaten Strauss' highest ever score.

Last edited:
Quality knock. Would love him to get 200 on his first time past 100. Can't be loads who've done that surely?
Little note since Strauss is commentating at the moment, 8 runs and Crawley will have beaten Strauss' highest ever score.

Would join the esteemed company of Vinod Kambli, Jason Gillespie and Karun Nair (who actually made a triple century)

He does need to do better but Prior played in a much better batting lineup.
No question, I would say it was the best side England have had in my lifetime. I would say Stokes in for Collingwood would be the only change I would make.
Time is very much on Sibley, Crawley, Pope & Archer’s side to make my England all time XI.

Must be the first time in a while a team has made 300+ in the first day of a test match in England.

No question, I would say it was the best side England have had in my lifetime. I would say Stokes in for Collingwood would be the only change I would make.
Time is very much on Sibley, Crawley, Pope & Archer’s side to make my England all time XI.

Must be the first time in a while a team has made 300+ in the first day of a test match in England.
As much as I have moaned about the current batting lineup the seeds are definitely there. Have to give them a long time now hopefully. Perfect example is Burns. 18 months or so ago he looked the best of a dodgy bunch by far - now he is struggling I hope he gets the time to find his form again. There aren't many alternatives anyway.

Would join the esteemed company of Vinod Kambli, Jason Gillespie and Karun Nair (who actually made a triple century)
:lol: It was awful from England to let that happen, If I remember correctly some Indian fans on here weren’t very happy with the English bowlers as it kept him in the side for longer than necessary.

Naseem's game will go to the next level when he hones his natural line another stump or so back towards off stump.

Terrific from these 2. Should look to get to 450+ tomorrow.

There’s runs to be had on this pitch, but with our batting & the perpetual habit to collapse, I’m not confident of our chances of getting the win.

As much as I have moaned about the current batting lineup the seeds are definitely there. Have to give them a long time now hopefully. Perfect example is Burns. 18 months or so ago he looked the best of a dodgy bunch by far - now he is struggling I hope he gets the time to find his form again. There aren't many alternatives anyway.

I agree. The blend is good with Crawley there. Stokes needs to get himself fit enough to be the fourth seamer.

I agree. The blend is good with Crawley there. Stokes needs to get himself fit enough to be the fourth seamer.
Yeah at least you could see he did himself an injury and I guess he will have some time now to heal. Hope his Dad is ok I guess that's why he flew to NZ.

England selectors deserve some credit for today for integrating Crawley into the team and sticking with Buttler. Both got England out of jail, as 140-4 was a tricky situation.
If they can get past first 10 overs, a massive double century for Crawley and a big ton for Buttler is for the taking. If England can bat til mid afternoon, they could bat Pakistan out of the game.

Last edited:
Best English batting side since a very long time.
So long as Stokes can bowl properly, suddenly the following team has a lot of potential

Burns
Sibley
Crawley
Root
Stokes
Pope
Buttler
Bess/Ali/Leach
*Archer/Wood
*Broad/Woakes
*Anderson/Curran
* any 3 from 6

So long as Stokes can bowl properly, suddenly the following team has a lot of potential

Burns
Sibley
Crawley
Root
Stokes
Pope
Buttler
Bess/Ali/Leach
*Archer/Wood
*Broad/Woakes
*Anderson/Curran
* any 3 from 6

Woakes
Broad
Archer
Leach

In England

Last edited:
On the flip side of extending play once overs are lost how about extending play when the conditions permit? They could have easily got another 30 mins in yesterday.

Burns
Sibley
Crawley
Root
Stokes
Pope
Buttler
Bess/Ali/Leach
*Archer/Wood
*Broad/Woakes
*Anderson/Curran
* any 3 from 6

Can see it being more like this.

Burns
Sibley/Crawley
Pope
Root
Stokes
Butler
Foakes
Bess/Moeen
Archer
Broad
Wood

On the flip side of extending play once overs are lost how about extending play when the conditions permit? They could have easily got another 30 mins in yesterday.

Or not have a cnuting lunch break 1.20 after restarting play when you're waiting 40 mins to restart since the inspection anyway.