English cricket thread

Burns out! It's going to be real test of the England players at this rate.

Didn’t look out in real time. Really shouldn’t be wasting reviews in these conditions.

edit: I didn’t see the edge. Looked to be missing leg stump.

Not that it will make much of a difference in the end but England look like they made a mistake in 'resting' Archer for this test, this pitch is right up his street. Rotation is fine but England don't seem very good at choosing the right bowlers for the pitch in front of them. Bess has been near enough pointless in 2 of the last 4 tests.

Not sure if they’ve gone off for bad light or rain... frustrating.

In the umpires' defence, we've had a disgusting summer of weather in the UK and they've been particularly unlucky with the local weather patterns. It was rancid in Manchester during the tests and it's been great the last few days, so it looks like the wind and rain has followed them.

But feck me they don't help themselves. This is an entertainment sport and we're being denied it by a bunch of miserable ex-players and administrators with no sense of perspective. Surely they need to look at the rules after this series.

In the umpires' defence, we've had a disgusting summer of weather in the UK and they've been particularly unlucky with the local weather patterns. It was rancid in Manchester during the tests and it's been great the last few days, so it looks like the wind and rain has followed them.

But feck me they don't help themselves. This is an entertainment sport and we're being denied it by a bunch of miserable ex-players and administrators with no sense of perspective. Surely they need to look at the rules after this series.
It was red hot and sunny for weeks on end during lockdown then as soon as it ends and cricket starts again it turns like this.

In games with no crowd they can definitely shift the start an hour earlier or change the test into a D/N test prior depending on the forecast. They could be more flexible in session timings too, twice this summer we've had 1 hour first sessions and then a 40 minute lunch break. It's been interesting to hear the players themselves on this actually, they don't seem especially annoyed by it even though they are actually the most inconvenienced by it all.

Feels like this debate has been happening for so long nothing will likely change, but test cricket seems stuck in the dark ages. Complaints that certain conditions would be slightly unfair to one side or the other need to get in the sea, sport is sometimes impacted by luck.

A football team who keeps it on the deck can’t refuse to play because a pitch is a bit cut up, nor can a long ball team refuse to play because it’s windy. Golfers are regularly caught on the wrong side of the draw weather wise etc. The list of examples where fortune impacts sport is almost endless.

The regulations around playing test cricket need revising with spectators front and center, e.g.:

1) more day/night tests where people can knock off a bit early, or go after work, and still see half a days play
2) bad light regulations are scrapped, floodlights are on, play
3) on disrupted days the nominal schedule gets binned to maximise play. For example on Friday when it was clear there would be very limited time to play, they came out for an hour then had a break and wasted 40 minutes of play
4) start earlier when time is lost in a test

Granted some of the above might result in some slightly unpredictable outcomes, but surely it’s better to try and then course correct if necessary?

Agreed regarding changes for modernising Test cricket. Definitely my favourite format and anything that gives me more of it, yes please.
Pak will be even more annoyed now about that first test given this one is destined for a washout it seems

Frustrating end to a Test between 2 teams much more closely match than the bookmakers odds would have you believe.

It must feel very strange sat in the dressing room knowing there is so little point taking to the field at all in the absence of some wild declarations which I can't see Root risking.

Same with the snooker last night, the evening session at 17-8 was such a non-event but still needs to take place.

Frustrating end to a Test between 2 teams much more closely match than the bookmakers odds would have you believe.

It must feel very strange sat in the dressing room knowing there is so little point taking to the field at all in the absence of some wild declarations which I can't see Root risking.

Same with the snooker last night, the evening session at 17-8 was such a non-event but still needs to take place.
Think it was England V South Africa many years ago due to the weather they both agreed to declare an innings, I think it still ended in a draw. But being 1-0 up it be an unnecessary risk to take for Root. They will end up going off before 5:00 for bad light anyway

Think it was England V South Africa many years ago due to the weather they both agreed to declare an innings, I think it still ended in a draw. But being 1-0 up it be an unnecessary risk to take for Root. They will end up going off before 5:00 for bad light anyway

Although that's slightly tainted because Cronje got a massive bung from the bookies do to it and was subsequently banned.

No point Pakistan using their bowlers either, all of which will have had almost 2 weeks rest!

Another inspection scheduled in a bit... if it’s playable can’t both teams declare instantly & then England need 220ish to win to at least make this meaningful... or just play a T20 game for laughs?! Seems pointless to go out otherwise.

56 overs scheduled. Pointless. Still think they should declare & Pak declare then England have to chase 220ish.

56 overs scheduled. Pointless. Still think they should declare & Pak declare then England have to chase 220ish.

Chasing 220 on that pitch, with that light? Don’t be ridiculous, heavily weighted to Pakistan there.

England’s batsmen will take some confidence from this showing.

Such a shame we couldn’t see Abbas bowl a full spell on overcast conditions.

England hoping the sun comes back big time for final test

Well bowled by Yasir.

Really annoying the weather/bad light affected this game. Would’ve been another close one. Hopefully we get no interruptions in the final match.

Root and Buttler are just digging in, Crawley batted positively and looked good until a dodgy LBW decision went against him.

Match has just ended

What a shame eh. Would have been a humdinger had it not been for the weather. And I've just seen the LBW...was a very good decision.

Archer in for Curran.

Makes sense to me - no point having four bowlers at 80-85mph.

Hopefully Curran can improve his batting and eventually become a number 6. He'd never be out of the side then.