English cricket thread

Dobell talking about rooves on stadiums. Hopefully they start looking at that. Massive logistical challenge but hopefully not insurmountable.

The first decision was fine, it wasn’t a huge issue whether lunch was taken during the break or at 2pm. Now it’s just a complete waste of 30 minutes. It’s not like they were ever going to restart quicker than half an hour after going off

The first decision was fine, it wasn’t a huge issue whether lunch was taken during the break or at 2pm. Now it’s just a complete waste of 30 minutes. It’s not like they were ever going to restart quicker than half an hour after going off
Feels like the umpires have way too much influence on this. Cricket has the opportunity to showcase itself to the world this summer and a bunch of mediocre ex-county trundlers are spoiling it with some officious nonsense.

Hopefully we're reaching a topping point though. Feels like the issue of rain and bad light breaks is now out there in the open and we're going to see changes.

Feels like the umpires have way too much influence on this. Cricket has the opportunity to showcase itself to the world this summer and a bunch of mediocre ex-county trundlers are spoiling it with some officious nonsense.

Hopefully we're reaching a topping point though. Feels like the issue of rain and bad light breaks is now out there in the open and we're going to see changes.

Hope so. Not much you can do about rain, but bad light they can certainly improve - floodlights, use pink ball being the most obvious solution. Test cricket needs to evolve & the last few days are drawing attention to some of the nonsense they can easily change (eg taking lunch, seriously?!)

Only his second Test 100?! Thought he had a few more! Played well.

Abbas has deserved a wicket.

Great knock by Buttler, big question about who can bat at 6 now when Stokes comes back.

God on him, wonder if, like Stokes, the thought that he's batting in a 'proper position' is the mental support he needs.

Thought he might of have kept Shaheen on as he was only 9 short of bringing up his well deserved 100 :wenger:

I would like to think Stokes will come in for one of the bowlers so Pope will drop to his preferred no6 and Buttler 7,

Well that is what I think will happen. But to add to @NinjaFletch point about the 'proper' batting position being something that helps Buttler, clear theres a difference for him between 6 and 7.

I would like to think Stokes will come in for one of the bowlers so Pope will drop to his preferred no6 and Buttler 7,
We're in Sri Lanka next and we'll need a proper keeper. Pope will move up, Buttler will bat six and Foakes will come in I reckon.

From being on the verge of being dropped a few weeks ago to inspiring the win at Old Trafford and now this century, Buttler proves his talent and mental fortitude.

Test cricket has been an educative process for Buttler and todays century feels like a major breakthrough for his suitability to the gold standard of cricket. It’s certainly bought him some more time to overcome his wicket keeping deficiencies.

takes serious amounts of concentration and stamina to hit a test double hundred.

Is Crawley announcing himself as the latest test run machine?

i also like that he uses a traditional old school brand Company Grey Nichols, same as my first cricket hero David Gower.

Hope England allow time for Buttler to also get a double ton... can get there very quickly if he decides to switch gears.

could be a very fun session.

God on him, wonder if, like Stokes, the thought that he's batting in a 'proper position' is the mental support he needs.
Batting at 7 is problematic for a player with such ability. The mental challenge at that stage of an innings is so different to batting in top order.

coming in at 120-4 helped Buttler in this instance in that his brief was clear: bat time and get runs at whatever pace you can.

Crawley's scoring areas are very impressive, obviously easier to cover the wagon wheel when scoring this many but he has so many shots in his repertoire.

Crawley's scoring areas are very impressive, obviously easier to cover the wagon wheel when scoring this many but he has so many shots in his repertoire.
Still young so will also develop many more.

Being hyper critical he doesn't hit enough back past the bowler, that is very harsh though.

Edit - Timed lofted cover drive for 6... Nice.
Maybe avoiding straight drive to reduce chance of edges, given Pakistan bowling swings a lot?