England Squad Discussion (The Carsley Era)

f948a4b4-4be1-4a5c-82a0-d4f3310823ce.png.webp

Based on his future/potential? Sure. Form for this season? He's fortunate.
I don’t agree. I think hes played well and as usual the micro analysis is over the top

I don’t agree. I think hes played well and as usual the micro analysis is over the top
Agree with you. And you could easily make a case for players like Gallagher or Bellingham not having great starts to the season. Mainoo has been fine, not great, but still good and has a profile that makes him valuable for the NT. I'd rather he not go, to be honest, but in Carsley's place, you're building a team, and unless the player's form has gone off a cliff, and they're an important part of your plans, you call them up. The NT selections can't only be a flavour of the month meet-up.

Palace have been poor really so that is why for Mitchell. Not seen Davis that much. Definitely short in that position.

I hadn't seen much of Davis either but thought he showed glimpses against Villa on Sunday

I want to see us play Germany again. Bellingham/Foden/Palmer vs Musiala/Wirtz. So many great attacking midfielders.

I want to see us play Germany again. Bellingham/Foden/Palmer vs Musiala/Wirtz. So many great attacking midfielders.

Do you think there is room for Maddison or would that be overkill in the attacking mids area

Do you think there is room for Maddison or would that be overkill in the attacking mids area

I would have taken him over MGW I think at this stage. Seems unfortunate not to get in.

Not watching, just got the the BBC's lineups to rely on here - did he actually play Foden and Bellingham as forwards in a 4-4-2 with Watkins and Solanke on the bench, Gordon wide who could have played there too?

:lol: If so. Trying to be cute.

Poor result for England. The combination of Bellingham, Palmer and Foden didn’t work at all and the team were so open when the ball was turned over. It’s a damaging defeat for Carsley in his quest for the job.

Type of team selection you’d get from a. Gillette Soccer Saturday pundit, “play all the stars and it’ll work cos we’re England”

Today made some of those Euro performances look excellent. I do respect Carsley for trying something new but I think he just went too far with it tonight against a team that was very good on the day.

I don't even have an issue with him going for a strikerless formation but I think the balance of both the full backs and midfield never looked right. There were a lot of gaps and Greece were organised enough to take advantage of it (on another night it could have been 4 or 5).

Well that’s Lee Carsley chance of Getting the job just blown up in smoke. He’s going to be remembered as the interim coach that couldn’t top of group of Greece, Finland and Republic of Ireland!

Poor guy back to the under 21’s

Well that’s Lee Carsley chance of Getting the job just blown up in smoke. He’s going to be remembered as the interim coach that couldn’t top of group of Greece, Finland and Republic of Ireland!

Poor guy back to the under 21’s

100%.

The only way he was getting the job was if he won about 10 in a row. He's done now.
Yeah agreed, though I don't think it's gone completely (but it's over 90% gone :lol: )but the next games have to be impeccable, we have to top the group and we have to beat Greece away in an impressive manner.

I do wonder where the FA go next though. Having him as interim until the end of the year doesn't exactly open up new options for January.

No idea what he was thinking with that team, doomed from the start. At least the FA can't gas light England into accepting this guy as manager now, can a loss be a win etc etc

Reignites the old Gerard can’t play with Lampard debate. Difficult to see how you fit Bellingham and Palmer into the same side. Palmer was wasted tonight played like a winger.

Reignites the old Gerard can’t play with Lampard debate. Difficult to see how you fit Bellingham and Palmer into the same side. Palmer was wasted tonight played like a winger.

Palmer right winger with license to roam, cut inside; Bellingham Centre midfield. Simple.

I think Potter would be a sensible choice if staying with an English manager. Tuchel if he fancies it (or doesn't get another job) would probably be the best England could do though.

Pep after the season ends is probably a long shot but worth asking the question.

I'm not sure there are any other credible candidates.

Today made some of those Euro performances look excellent. I do respect Carsley for trying something new but I think he just went too far with it tonight against a team that was very good on the day.

I don't even have an issue with him going for a strikerless formation but I think the balance of both the full backs and midfield never looked right. There were a lot of gaps and Greece were organised enough to take advantage of it (on another night it could have been 4 or 5).

Like shoehorning every "it" player into the starting lineup? Yeah, it's not a new thing, if anything it's what England managers usually do.

Palmer - Rice - Saka - Bellingham - Foden - Gordon

All in the starting lineup.

I can't for the life of me understand why people don't understand it's counter productive. There's no balance. You need a solid foundation for your attacking players to actually function.

Utterly absurd formation with the players used like they were. It might work against a real minnow but Greece are a somewhat decent team at the moiment, albeit a team like England should be able to beat.

The one big similarity to Southgate is Carsley trying to shoehorn in 'key/undroppable' players and the whole structure and the balance of the side suffers.

Palmer right winger with license to roam, cut inside; Bellingham Centre midfield. Simple.

Then what of Saka? Bench?

Palmer started in midfield but it was too congested with Bellingham, Foden and Palmer all wanting to occupy the same areas. We gotta drop one of them.

Then what of Saka? Bench?

Palmer started in midfield but it was too congested with Bellingham, Foden and Palmer all wanting to occupy the same areas. We gotta drop one of them.

He could play left. Nothing wrong with wingers floating during the game too; they're both intelligent players.

I'd probably drop Foden as I generally find he's overrated. Great talent, but lacks personality

Like shoehorning every "it" player into the starting lineup? Yeah, it's not a new thing, if anything it's what England managers usually do.

Palmer - Rice - Saka - Bellingham - Foden - Gordon

All in the starting lineup.

I can't for the life of me understand why people don't understand it's counter productive. There's no balance. You need a solid foundation for your attacking players to actually function.
I more meant the strikerless formation. The set up was different but clearly lacked balance. It was brave, silly but grave. In the grand scheme of things, tonight didn't matter. I would have been more interested to see how it would have gone with one of the attackers taken out and an actual midfielder in their place instead.