England Squad Discussion (The Carsley Era)

I'm predicting Southgate back in charge for the 2026 world Cup.

It's a silly rhetoric. Not that it had any influence on the match but in the Euros final, I don't think any Spanish players or staff were singing the national anthem at all but the England team were singing ours.

There’s a good reason none of the Spanish players or staff were singing their national anthem. A very good reason.

This National Anthem argument is ridiculous. Not every Englishman is a royalist. Why is it even an anthem? Its about an entitled person in a mega rich family, instead of the country. Does any other country sing about a person in their anthem?

A better and more balanced XI than Southgate has ever managed to put to together in a major international tournament :lol:

If Carsley doesn’t lead the team out with a British Bulldog on a chain in one hand and a portrait of The King in the other he should be sacked immediately after the match.

That's the problem: it's British and not English. God Save The King is that national anthem of the UK not England. What's more, it's painful to hear and, if memory serves, the tune is an old drinking song from the 18th century. It is not representative of England alone and that's always been my beef about it. I wouldn't mind a rousing rendition of 'Jerusalem' as England's anthem. The Scots and Welsh have theirs. England should too.

That's the problem: it's British and not English. God Save The King is that national anthem of the UK not England. What's more, it's painful to hear and, if memory serves, the tune is an old drinking song from the 18th century. It is not representative of England alone and that's always been my beef about it. I wouldn't mind a rousing rendition of 'Jerusalem' as England's anthem. The Scots and Welsh have theirs. England should too.
How about this

Oi, Oi, England
Oi, oi, England land,
Where tracksuits reign so grand,
We shout with pride!
Pints in our hand we raise,
In the footy match we blaze,
Shoutin’ "England all the way!"
Oi, Oi, for pride!

Bovver boots hit the street,
Grillin' up some tasty meat,
At the BBQ!
We got the squad in tow,
All down the pub we go,
To sing “Three Lions” 'cause we know,
It’s comin’ home, too!

Cider cans raised up high,
Aldi bags in the sky,
We’re proper loud!
From Essex to Brum we roll,
Fags lit, we’re on patrol,
England’s where we’re in control,
So shout it proud!

Oi, oi, forever!

Some good stuff. Pleased overall. Probably should have scored more from the chances we created.

There’s a good reason none of the Spanish players or staff were singing their national anthem. A very good reason.
:lol: I had no idea, I thought they were all just stone faced and in the zone. A national anthem without any lyrics is a bit odd though.

Some good stuff. Pleased overall. Probably should have scored more from the chances we created.
Looked like the shackles have been loosened a bit which is nice.

How about this

Oi, Oi, England
Oi, oi, England land,
Where tracksuits reign so grand,
We shout with pride!
Pints in our hand we raise,
In the footy match we blaze,
Shoutin’ "England all the way!"
Oi, Oi, for pride!

Bovver boots hit the street,
Grillin' up some tasty meat,
At the BBQ!
We got the squad in tow,
All down the pub we go,
To sing “Three Lions” 'cause we know,
It’s comin’ home, too!

Cider cans raised up high,
Aldi bags in the sky,
We’re proper loud!
From Essex to Brum we roll,
Fags lit, we’re on patrol,
England’s where we’re in control,
So shout it proud!

Oi, oi, forever!
I cried reading this, beautiful...

Have the flagshaggers got nothing else to moan about. More moaning about singing the national anthem. No body gives a flying feck.
Entitled to adhere to his principles. He said he finds it ‘distracting’. Let’s see how you and the FA react if he doesn’t take the knee or involve himself in other gestures which could impact his focus.

Entitled to adhere to his principles. He said he finds it ‘distracting’. Let’s see how you and the FA react if he doesn’t take the knee or involve himself in other gestures which could impact his focus.

Whatever you think about him not singing it, that just sounds like a lame excuse.

Goodness me, it’s a load of shite. Some old song about saving the King. Where were you when Sven and Capello weren’t singing it? It’s his decision to take the knee or whatever else he does. Plenty of other players have not sang it before. The fact is, it’s got all the right wing racists in a tizz and the latest thing they are moaning about. Pathetic stuff.

cant enjoy a victory when the national anthem was not being sung properly :mad:

The media “personalities” making a fuss most likely don’t even care, doing it for attention. But there is genuine sad acts who do and that’s hilarious.

Carsley is also Irish so that will be held against him.

There's something special about we Irish to these clowns. We must be brought to heel. Carsley will probably get the Corbyn treatment as he isn't sufficiently 'British'. Real Nigel Lawson shit.

Caught one or two at it in here, even. Most, as ever, know the craic and fair play but the stench lingers.

England were superb in the first half but could not have asked for more pliant opposition.

So how did Angel Gomes do? Better than Mainoo?

Unused sub I think. Gibbs White came on instead and hit a lovely throughball for Saka.

TAA was very good at RB so that's an easy decision now, no need to call up Walker again.

Unused sub I think. Gibbs White came on instead and hit a lovely throughball for Saka.

TAA was very good at RB so that's an easy decision now, no need to call up Walker again.

Not unused. He replaced Mainoo in the 2nd half. He was neat and tidy, basically carried the good work Mainoo had been doing. Nothing too crazy or eye catching though.

So how did Angel Gomes do? Better than Mainoo?

Certainly not better than Mainoo, who was very good in the first half, but again, wasn't as effective in the second. Angel looked ok when he came in but not on long enough to be able to judge.

Don't agree with you that TAA was very good. He gave the ball away far too many times. And because Ireland were not that good, he wasn't tested defensively. But no doubt he is a good player and I would keep him instead of Walker who just relies on speed.

Shows how much I was paying attention in the second half.:lol: It's a problem position for England so you'd like to think Adam Wharton will be involved in the next selection, think he has an injury issue currently?

What I liked about TAA was first half ball whizzed across the six yard box, came to him and first time he just whipped in a cross that Kane really should've got on target.

We've just had a summer where Trippier has constantly come inside and you have Walker schooled in Pepball so he's always going to delay and wait for an overlap or midfielder to come infield.

TAA is mid 20s now, multiple serious trophy winner and been a regular for Liverpool since 2017 so he's well overdue a run of 15-20 starts for England consecutively.

Anyone who cares about men singing a daft little tune are beyond pathetic and have sad empty little lives and heads.

Is it sad and pathetic that I care what little tune they sing? God Save the King is a dirge and isn't even England's national anthem anyway. The only debate we should be having is about singing something good instead.

Carsley is also Irish so that will be held against him.

There's something special about we Irish to these clowns. We must be brought to heel. Carsley will probably get the Corbyn treatment as he isn't sufficiently 'British'. Real Nigel Lawson shit.

Caught one or two at it in here, even. Most, as ever, know the craic and fair play but the stench lingers.

England were superb in the first half but could not have asked for more pliant opposition.
I mean, he's not really Irish, is he? As far as I can tell (and I'd happily be corrected on this), he was born in England and has one Irish grandparent. I'm not sure that makes somebody Irish.

Of course, this doesn't matter to knuckledraggers - the fact that he played for the Ireland national team automatically makes him too Irish to be the England manager and it will be brought up any time the team is bad (if he is the manager). That much I do understand.

I mean, he's not really Irish, is he? As far as I can tell (and I'd happily be corrected on this), he was born in England and has one Irish grandparent. I'm not sure that makes somebody Irish.

Of course, this doesn't matter to knuckledraggers - the fact that he played for the Ireland national team automatically makes him too Irish to be the England manager and it will be brought up any time the team is bad (if he is the manager). That much I do understand.

He's ethnically Irish by virtue of his grandparent.

Your second paragraph is bang on the money, and together all possibly a better point to mine!

He just wasn't good enough to play for England.

Though good enough to control them.

Furthermore, given Sven would have been the coach in his era, Carsley would easily get a half or sixteen for England.

People really gatekeeping being Irish now

It's a much bigger thing for us due to mass emigration in the 20th century.

Anyway, can't fault England yesterday. By miles the better team.