England Euro 2024 Squad and Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
No chance Southgate will drop bellingham. Come on. We all know what's he's like by now.

I see Palmer has slotted into the messiah role held by Bellingham after game one and Foden after game two

Gordon, Mainoo and Palmer deserve to start next match. Bellingham and Kane need to be dropped. It won't happen though.

This would be an interesting lineup. Still worrried about the midfield though.

That's not a million miles off the lineup I said ye should go for before the tournament

Would be ballsy, but I reckon England could absolutely dominate with a lineup like this:

Pickford
Walker Stones Shaw
Trent Rice Mainoo Saka
Foden Bellingham
Kane​

Get's Trent on the pitch in a role that doesn't rely on his defence so much. You could use him almost like we used Beckham in the treble season, but with Walker's pace bombing down the flank beside him rather than Neville.

Uses Foden and Bellingham in their best positions, with great protection and link play in Rice and Mainoo (Wharton could dovetail here too) behind them.

The only downside is not having Saka in his best role, but he's played left wing back before and can still be an absolute menace down that side, especially with Trent tucking in to more of a midfield 3 and the defensive stability of Shaw behind him.

If Shaw isn't going to be fit in this tournament, which is looking likely, we desperately need a soluton for LB. Either a pacey right footer or a slower natural left footer would be OK. We have a slow right footer who's also out of form. Foden hasn't been great this tournament, but his partner on the left had side isn't helping him.

If Shaw isn't going to be fit in this tournament, which is looking likely, we desperately need a soluton for LB. Either a pacey right footer or a slower natural left footer would be OK. We have a slow right footer who's also out of form. Foden hasn't been great this tournament, but his partner on the left had side isn't helping him.

Even if shaw get's fit enough, it's going to be a hell of a risk bringing him back in after 4 months without playing during the knockout stages.

Joe Gomez could be the answer. He's a pacey right footer and spent most of last season covering for Andy Robertson at left back.

Southgate doing a tremendous job mimicking the 2004 Greece team at the Euros. Scintillating stuff!

Greece scored in every game in their group in Euro 2004, scoring twice as many goals as England have this year, and that was playing Portugal, Spain and Russia.

Southgate doing a tremendous job mimicking the 2004 Greece team at the Euros. Scintillating stuff!
Now he’s not. They were superb and an exhibition of organisation and defending solidly as a unit. He’s a million miles away from what they were doing en route to the final.

Now he’s not. They were superb and an exhibition of organisation and defending solidly as a unit. He’s a million miles away from what they were doing en route to the final.
Exactly. Rehhagel did it with one of the worst squads in the tournament, Southgate is doing it with one of the best.

One is an achievement, the other an embarassment.

Exactly. Rehhagel did it with one of the worst squads in the tournament, Southgate is doing it with one of the best.

One is an achievement, the other an embarassment.
Rehhagel’s was a plan executed in fine detail. Southgate is just terrified by everything, and that fear has permeated the team whilst Greece were absolutely full of belief and conviction in what they were doing. The squad disparity is certainly the first thing to pick up on, but the sheer belief and sense of purpose between the two managers and their squads also sticks out, as they are worlds apart.

If England were putting on a similar run of performances, it could be frowned upon from the POV of not using the attacking players at the manager’s disposal, but a rock solid defensive unit doing what Greece did, could be grumbled at aesthetically, but there’d also be praise and acknowledgment from some quarters for Southgate being able to set up and execute something so water tight. Southgate isn’t capable of any such masterclass.

Disagree with this.

The best football we played so far this tournament was midway the 2nd half with Palmer, Mainoo linking up.

Saka has to be dropped for Palmer.

If Palmer comes in on the right, we could play Saka at left back.

Then Gordon on the left in place of Foden, who shifts into Bellingham's place.

Foden will be much more effective where Bellingham is playing now.

Last edited:
Rehhagel’s was a plan executed in fine detail. Southgate is just terrified by everything, and that fear has permeated the team whilst Greece were absolutely full of belief and conviction in what they were doing. The squad disparity is certainly the first thing to pick up on, but the sheer belief and sense of purpose between the two managers and their squads also sticks out, as they are worlds apart.
And why where Greece so full of belief? Because Rehhagel looked at the available players and understood that this was the way to get the most out of them and their skills.

If Southgate was doing the same he would have England play attacking, entertaining football. Comparing those two managers/teams is just a bad take in multiple dimensions.

And why where Greece so full of belief? Because Rehhagel looked at the available players and understood that this was the way to get the most out of them and their skills.

If Southgate was doing the same he would have England play attacking, entertaining football. Comparing those two managers/teams is just a bad take in multiple dimensions.

Southgate doesn't know how to play attacking, entertaining football.

The best performances under him have still come from the rigid, defensive shape he sets up across the back and at the base of his midfield.

He's tried to move on from that this tournament, but has seemingly given it no more thought than "take out one of the holding midfielders", and even then he's lamenting the absence of Kalvin Phillips.

The way he's set up the front four makes it abundantly clear that he has no idea what to do with attacking players.

He's essentially handicapped himself with his squad selection this tournament. He may as well have brought along Rashford, Grealish, Sterling and Henderson, as he obviously doesn't trust the players he's replaced them with.

Southgate doesn't know how to play attacking, entertaining football.

The best performances under him have still come from the rigid, defensive shape he sets up across the back and at the base of his midfield.

He's tried to move on from that this tournament, but has seemingly given it no more thought than "take out one of the holding midfielders", and even then he's lamenting the absence of Kalvin Phillips.

The way he's set up the front four makes it abundantly clear that he has no idea what to do with attacking players.

He's essentially handicapped himself with his squad selection this tournament. He may as well have brought along Rashford, Grealish, Sterling and Henderson, as he obviously doesn't trust the players he's replaced them with.
Yes, good summary. And that's why Rehhagel is one of the managerial greats (at least in Germany) and Southgate is nobody in the big picture of the football world.

Could be a blessing in disguise. I dont think Southgate would have moved him from that LW role by choice, but now will have to try something else. If that works he wont be able to move back to Foden.

Reckon we’ll play amazingly next game now. Not to knock Foden but one of the 3 needed to be dropped so sad it’s him but Kane 9, Bellingham 10, Mainoo/Rice, Gordon LW, Saka or Palmer RW (ideally Palmer based on form) and we’re away.

Clarified quickly but briefing that he's left camp to deal with "pressing family matters" when he's gone back for the birth of his child is silly.

Hopefully all goes well with his partner and baby and he's back soon enough.

Probably gonna end up straight into the starting line up

That baby could easily be England's player of the tournament if it takes long enough to pop out that Foden misses the next game.

How will the squad look with Foden's departure if his absence is long term?

'
Better, much better.

Unless he's actually back in time for the match and Southgate is daft enough to shove him right back into the starting lineup.

'
Better, much better.

Unless he's actually back in time for the match and Southgate is daft enough to shove him right back into the starting lineup.
I think he will be back for the match, assuming there aren't complications. At best he'll miss a few days of training so I'd expect he will be on the bench. Starting him on Sunday would be a silly move

If England were putting on a similar run of performances, it could be frowned upon from the POV of not using the attacking players at the manager’s disposal, but a rock solid defensive unit doing what Greece did, could be grumbled at aesthetically, but there’d also be praise and acknowledgment from some quarters for Southgate being able to set up and execute something so water tight. Southgate isn’t capable of any such masterclass.
*Points at Euro 2021*

I would start Mainoo, but I'd probably hold off on dropping Saka for Palmer. I would drop Kane though and one of Foden/Bellingham.

Pickford
Walker Stones Guehi Trippier
Mainoo Rice
Saka Foden/Bellingham Gordon
Watkins

I'd try something along those lines. I'd also toy with the idea of starting Trent instead of Walker but then we're getting into the 'too many changes at once' territory.

Yep. I think Palmer is first off the bench now for sure but the problem is there’s no chance he drops Kane. At best he drops one of Foden/Jude

No, not really. Awful 1st half - Southgate got the starting lineup wrong, again. Mainoo came on for Gallagher at HT, which improved things and England played at a better tempo in the 2nd half (albeit without really creating much/anything). Palmer looked lively and direct when he came on for Saka after 70 minutes, but Kane, Bellingham and Foden were all poor again. Overall, disappointing.

That's incredibly strange to see all three underperforming.

I think he will be back for the match, assuming there aren't complications. At best he'll miss a few days of training so I'd expect he will be on the bench. Starting him on Sunday would be a silly move

One game on the bench could be enough. I dont expect gordon to magically be the saviour, but i expect his presence down that left hand side to give us much more balance and give defending sides something to think about down that side which we've sorely lacked so far.

It will also give people room to breathe in the middle with one less body to be standing on each others toes outside the opposition box.

If we look a better side without foden southgate wont walk it back. He'd be silly to do so. The fact Southgate could be saved blushes by something out of his hands is honestly comical, cause theres no way he would have had the balls to leave foden out otherwise, im still not convinced he will until i see it in writing at 4 on sunday.

Status
Not open for further replies.