England Euro 2024 Squad and Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just seen Southgate briefly being interviewed afterwards, he sounded like a teacher who’d lost a party of school kids on an outing.

You should go more direct. You have the players to pick up a lot of 2nd balls and harrass and harry and bully so many teams. Klopp gegenpressing would suit you so much more than this patient, methodical approach your taking.

The Kane problem is that he occupies the exact spots that two other seeming auto starters also like to be (Foden/Jude). Kane will never thrive in a team that doesn't have runners off him from all areas, because he's dirt slow and far more of a playmaker these days than his young Spurs days.

See the above lineups I posted with regards to the Rice issue. They have to surround him with far more progression so that he can just defend and lay the ball off, or just don't bother playing him. Because right now he's being treated like he's Rodri and he's simply not that player in possession.

Either way though, the single biggest issue in the team is lack of outlets after recovering possession.

Yeah, I've said since before the tournament, when you don't have an intelligent team in international football - and England don't - you have to pick the players in their proper positions. So, for me that's Wharton and Rice in midfield, Gordon-Bellingham-Saka behind Kane and pray Shaw is healthy (and probably call up Tyrick Mitchell as an option).

If Gordon or Wharton struggle, they can be replaced, but England aren't going to play 3 #10s like Germany and dominate the game.

The English sickness where they don't rate deeper midfielders is killing them again. Not a Lobotka or Calhanoglu in sight.

Agree. Owen was moaning about the Kane sub and it was driving me mad. He offers nothing in this setup besides maybe poaching something.
We do often judge individuals at club level without looking at the team they play for and the teams they play against. We don't make reasonable judgements on what players offers teams and require from teams.

England's main problem is clearly the coach. He's a bit like Didier Deschamps, but clearly doesn't have the luck that Deschamps has.
England has shown anything worth considering them as one of the favourites for barely 30mins in the first half of their first game.
If only one or two players (maybe 3 if you'll like) are underperforming, then you can blame the players. But when it's more than half of the team, then you have to look at the coach.

Bellingham should have been taken off for Palmer the same time he subbed the 3 attackers, or maybe even before.

Yeah, I've said since before the tournament, when you don't have an intelligent team in international football - and England don't - you have to pick the players in their proper positions. So, for me that's Wharton and Rice in midfield, Gordon-Bellingham-Saka behind Kane and pray Shaw is healthy (and probably call up Tyrick Mitchell as an option).

If Gordon or Wharton struggle, they can be replaced, but England aren't going to play 3 #10s like Germany and dominate the game.

The English sickness where they don't rate deeper midfielders is killing them again. Not a Lobotka or Calhanoglu in sight.

Yep it's misprofiling at its finest. There are 0 "middle third" players in the starting XI from today. So now you have these 3 "stars" that already are prone to dropping deeper to get the ball, now having to drop back almost to rice to receive a pass. Everyone seems to think Rice is a great passer but he's actually terrible at progressing anything (Arteta himself realized this too), and Trippier on the wrong side and Walker instead of TAA doesn't offer anything from the back either.

Honestly I'd drop Kane for Watkins anyways with the setup you mentioned. At least then you'd get a really strong pressing presence to offer some chaos from winning the ball high up the pitch.

Watching Southgates England reminds me of Benitez' Liverpool. It feels like he trying to avoid losing rather than playing to win. So incredibly annoying to watch, given the incredible talent he has available.

We do often judge individuals at club level without looking at the team they play for and the teams they play against. We don't make reasonable judgements on what players offers teams and require from teams.

Kane is a brilliant finisher and serious weapon but this version of him has to be accomodated for both in and out of possession. He's not going to run much and you need weapons on either flank to provide that threat of stretching a backline to give him space when he drops off. Since England doesn't really have that, and has others that also play in the hole and fit into a side better, he's not required right now.

Kane is a brilliant finisher and serious weapon but this version of him has to be accomodated for both in and out of possession. He's not going to run much and you need weapons on either flank to provide that threat of stretching a backline to give him space when he drops off. Since England doesn't really have that, and has others that also play in the hole and fit into a side better, he's not required right now.
Well a lot of Kane fans don't like to hear it, but he's not good in tight spaces at all, he needs quite a bit of space.

Like I'm not even against exploring the idea that Watkins being annoying and pressing for 60 minutes and Kane coming on might make some tactical sense (england were far too deep), but when your team can't keep the ball and looks petrified on it in their own half...

... Play a midfielder in midfield.

I can't fathom how Southgate arrived at the conclusion that TAA should be in midfield, it's like he wants the best of all works with technically proficient players up front and a counter attacking midfield with a guy that will ping balls over the top. When what he's actually got is a complete mess that can't progress the ball on the deck and can't play fast break football due to an aging striker dropping deep all the time and the wide forwards wanting to occupy the middle spaces alongside him.

I was banging on about Tyrick Mitchell but someone here mentioned you can just play anyone at LB and it doesn’t matter. That overlap going forward is being missed. No attack on that side at all. I think Gordon Bellingham Saka would be worth trying in the next match behind Kane. That way you have out and out runners and then we need a midfielder getting forward so a Wharton or Mainoo. The LB option has gone as I don’t think we can call anyone up now.

Trent is not a traditional midfielder and never has been. So pointless trying that out for the first time in the run up to a major international tournament. Just play him at right back and you can play someone with some actual in behind threat on the wing. Foden in the 10 and ask Bellingham to be the 8, one of those two need to make that sacrifice and I’d bet on Jude being better there than whatever the hell foden is doing on the left.

Why Gallagher is the first change over Wharton and Mainoo is baffling too. His qualities are not suited to being in a disciplined two. I’d stick Gomez at left back too. Will offer nothing going forwards but at least you’ll have a solid defensive player as opposed to whatever trippier is supposed to be doing there. It would mean dropping walker which I know he’s loathe to do, but at least it’s a side that mostly has its best players in their best positions.

It’s a fools errand though we’ve got some of the most talented players in the world who’ve won leagues and CL’s playing in front of their own box. Worlds away from teams like Germany and Spain and even the lesser teams who all press high and give it a go. Appalling setup and structure. Tactically Southgate has no clue. His best tournament was when he could make the very simple alteration of using Rashfords pace off the bench to give Kane a runner other than sterling. It’s all a mismatch and the manager is being found wanting at this level. Not that we didn’t know that.

We might get lucky and make the quarters but we’ll be found out sooner or later.

Worst thing you can do with this amount of talent at your disposal is be boring. I think that performance irritated a lot of people. Either show some ambition or feck off home.

I was banging on about Tyrick Mitchell but someone here mentioned you can just play anyone at LB and it doesn’t matter. That overlap going forward is being missed. No attack on that side at all. I think Gordon Bellingham Saka would be worth trying in the next match behind Kane. That way you have out and out runners and then we need a midfielder getting forward so a Wharton or Mainoo. The LB option has gone as I don’t think we can call anyone up now.

The most obvious weakness in the entire team was the lack of LB's with how many of these "wingers" prefer cutting in. Which is why Gordon has to be an auto starter. And also why I think it makes sense to just play Trent at RB and let him have freedom to push forward and provide creativity from the right flank, since it's not like whoever plays on the left will be bombing forward anyways.

Worst thing you can do with this amount of talent at your disposal is be boring. I think that performance irritated a lot of people. Either show some ambition or feck off home.

It's not even ambition. It's just having the stones to make tough calls and bench "superstars". Because one thing is for sure: You can't start the Foden/Jude/Kane trio again. At bare minimum one of them has to be benched, if not two.

The most obvious weakness in the entire team was the lack of LB's with how many of these "wingers" prefer cutting in. Which is why Gordon has to be an auto starter. And also why I think it makes sense to just play Trent at RB and let him have freedom to push forward and provide creativity from the right flank, since it's not like whoever plays on the left will be bombing forward anyways.

Nah I would keep Walker at RB, thought he was fine.

It's not even ambition. It's just having the stones to make tough calls and bench "superstars". Because one thing is for sure: You can't start the Foden/Jude/Kane trio again. At bare minimum one of them has to be benched, if not two.

He could play Bellingham as an 8. He should've tried that instead of playing TAA there.

Rather than having meeting for the players to 'Cope with intense scruntiny of tournament football with England', how about he just gets on and coaches them properly.

It's like he knows they are going to fail, so is preparing himself to cope with the fallout, as most of the players are well aware of the pressure given they compete for trophies every season in the league, Southgate however is not.

Status
Not open for further replies.