Elon Musk | Owner of X and right wing man-child

This guy really is the new Avenatti, isn't he? I wonder if he'll be in jail in half a year as well.

I mean, that's kinda an unfair comparison. This guy seems to be ever present but it's a bit far to compare him to someone who defrauded his clients.

I still don't get why a comedian would get a billionaire on stage, is there any background to this?
It’s fairly normal for a stand up act to invite people on stage, or interact with audience member to work some easy jokes. Dave C just misjudged his audience, thinking a guy he likes well enough is to their taste as well.

Ye but if i'm watching a comedian perform I don't expect him to randomly call his friends on stage...

Yeah it was a dumb move from Chappelle. At a minimum he should’ve been self aware enough to know that public sentiment surrounding Musk is in a tailspin.

I mean, that's kinda an unfair comparison. This guy seems to be ever present but it's a bit far to compare him to someone who defrauded his clients.

You don’t think a being a self promoting programmer is on par with being an imprisoned felon?

There’s a herd behavior involved. Once people see a viable alternative that others are beginning to use, they will switch and begin to use both platforms and will gradually divest from Twitter once they get what they want from the new platform. It could happen relatively soon as well.

people still use craigslist. Moving always from the twitter Ecosystem as a whole will not be easy and I doubt it’s gonna happen soon personally.

All that said, I think as a company Twitter was in absolute shambles financially before Musk took control. They had no plan or idea on how to make this money pit work. The mass layoffs, the grind culture etc is all needed if the company is to have any chance of turning a profit.
This has already been disproven in this thread.

Last edited:
This has already been disproven in this tread.

I haven’t seen that in this thread but I know about it myself. I work in the tech industry and we’ve hired plenty of twitter staff who jumped ship. It was a mess there in terms of their business and future plans.

You can look at their stock prepurchase. Those are cold facts the company was not doing well.

Yeah it was a dumb move from Chappelle. At a minimum he should’ve been self aware enough to know that public sentiment surrounding Musk is in a tailspin.

Public sentiment surrounding Chappelle hasn't exactly been great either. Makes sense he'd want him on stage; they're both into the whole "I won't let the crazy lefties bully me" thing.

people still use craigslist. Moving always from the twitter Ecosystem as a whole will not be easy and I doubt it’s gonna happen soon personally.

It’s not a traditional social network though. A better comparison would be the transition from MySpace to Facebook, which happened frighteningly quickly. Once the utility of something wears off people simply move on to the next thing.

Dave Chappelle probably thought it would show him now up there mixing with the world's richest, but he completely misjudged it. He even has his friend come out and say "I'm rich bitch", probably part of the joke.

Last edited:
It’s not a traditional social network though. A better comparison would be the transition from MySpace to Facebook, which happened frighteningly quickly. Once the utility of something wears off people simply move on to the next thing.

Again, times have changed. Facebook has been dead for ages now but there still isn't an alternative everyone has "moved" to. Businesses, governments, non profits etc all use twitter. Twitter is integrated with their systems. I'm not saying it's impossible to move from it but it's not as easy as it seems.

Again, times have changed. Facebook has been dead for ages now but there still isn't an alternative everyone has "moved" to. Businesses, governments, non profits etc all use twitter. Twitter is integrated with their systems. I'm not saying it's impossible to move from it but it's not as easy as it seems.

Facebook is done and people have largely moved on. It’s very different for Twitter which acts as a global public square in a unique way. The utility therefore wouldn’t go away, since people still want the service minus the trolling by the owner.

What the hell Dave. I really don't want to start hating you too ffs.

I love young Chapelle.

Old Chapelle has more talent but less to say. He’s culturally irrelevant but hasn’t realised. feck that guy.

Edit : I’ll go further. If a comedian doesn’t understand that bringing ‘the richest man’ on earth on stage while the entire population is having their lives taken and wallets emptied… and his best joke is ‘only the poor seats are booing’… he’s not actually funny anymore.

Let your heroes go.

Facebook is done and people have largely moved on. It’s very different for Twitter which acts as a global public square in a unique way. The utility therefore wouldn’t go away, since people still want the service minus the trolling by the owner.

I don't think either of these statements are very accurate. Facebook still has almost 2 billion daily users and it's by far the best converting performance marketing social media platform. And it's not even remotely close if you count Instagram and FB together under Meta parent company.

Just because TikTok is hot for teenagers or Twitter has this baseline of people using it for instant news updates doesn't mean Facebook is done as the advertising value alone proves. Both Twitter and TikTok and any other social media platform have a long, long way to go before they come even close to reaching Facebook/Insta levels as profit-generating social media entities. Insta influencers are still far more valuable than a Twitter influencer and the combined advertising/influencer economic ecosystem behind FB/Insta completely dwarfs these other social networks by such a large margin these statements don't really make sense.

Yai5XQf.jpg

I haven’t seen that in this thread but I know about it myself. I work in the tech industry and we’ve hired plenty of twitter staff who jumped ship. It was a mess there in terms of their business and future plans.

You can look at their stock prepurchase. Those are cold facts the company was not doing well.
The cold hard facts are actually the points mentioned previously about how Twitter was a company that was turning a profit. Everything you've said here is basically the opinion of a random person working in a huge industry, and some second hand info you've heard from former employees of a company.

The cold hard facts are actually the points mentioned previously about how Twitter was a company that was turning a profit. Everything you've said here is basically the opinion of a random person working in a huge industry, and some second hand info you've heard from former employees of a company.

It posted a loss in 2021 and 2020. Admittedly the profits were reasonably high 2018 and 2019, but those are the only two years when Twitter hasn't made a loss.

Read a figure recently that suggested Twitter's value has plummeted from over 44b when Musk bought it to less than 10b in the present after a long list of advertisers fled the platform. Not sure how accurate that is, but it wouldn't surprise me if its closer to accurate than not.

Last edited:
It posted a loss in 2021 and 2020. Admittedly the profits were reasonably high 2018 and 2019, but those are the only two years when Twitter hasn't made a loss.

The losses were a result of one off costs though IIRC. I.e. they made an underlying profit every year. A year or two of losses is no big deal for a company of that size as long as the underlying value is there.

As mentioned, those losses were not as a result of a badly run business, and if I recall correctly, they would have turned profit without the irregular costs in those years, which impacted overall profits. The talk of Twitter being a sinking ship before Musk took over is not really true.
Read a figure recently that suggested Twitter's value has plummeted from over 44b when Musk bought it to less than 10b in the present after a long list of advertisers fled the platform. Not sure how accurate that is, but it wouldn't surprise me if its closer to accurate than not.
I am purely speaking about pre-Musk Twitter in my posts, as @shamans suggested it was going down the shitter before Musk took over.

I don't think either of these statements are very accurate. Facebook still has almost 2 billion daily users and it's by far the best converting performance marketing social media platform. And it's not even remotely close if you count Instagram and FB together under Meta parent company.

Just because TikTok is hot for teenagers or Twitter has this baseline of people using it for instant news updates doesn't mean Facebook is done as the advertising value alone proves. Both Twitter and TikTok and any other social media platform have a long, long way to go before they come even close to reaching Facebook/Insta levels as profit-generating social media entities. Insta influencers are still far more valuable than a Twitter influencer and the combined advertising/influencer economic ecosystem behind FB/Insta completely dwarfs these other social networks by such a large margin these statements don't really make sense.

Yai5XQf.jpg

For clarity, which of my statements do you disagree with? Because I agree with everything you've said. Me saying Facebook is dead but people haven't moved on was in response to how it won't be easy to move on from twitter i.e, facebook is still widely used despite not being trendy or hot anymore. Facebook isn't cool anymore but still popular. That's what I am trying to say about twitter. It has a head start and an existing ecosystem. Just moving away from it like that will not be easy.

1) We are both just "random people" sharing opinions. If I add qualifiers to say what I'm basing mine on there's nothing wrong with that. You can as well if you wish. My understanding is the general consensus from twitter engineers is that there were concerns about making a profit even before musk. The long term plan was not well thought of.

2) How exactly are the "points previously mentioned" cold hard facts and not this chart:
https://finance.yahoo.com/quote/TWTR/financials?p=TWTR

It's a simple chart. Please tell me how this is a company turning a profit I'd love that explained to me.

As mentioned, those losses were not as a result of a badly run business, and if I recall correctly, they would have turned profit without the irregular costs in those years, which impacted overall profits. The talk of Twitter being a sinking ship before Musk took over is not really true.

I am purely speaking about pre-Musk Twitter in my posts, as @shamans suggested it was going down the shitter before Musk took over.

I provided a financial chart to show it to you. Feel free to provide any data (not an opinion piece) that supports your claim that this wasn't true.

I think it was struggling to turn a profit pre-Musk. Post Musk, its value has severely degraded because of a loss of advertisers. Therefore it would be fair to say Musk has made it far worse than any problems it had before he showed up.

The losses were a result of one off costs though IIRC. I.e. they made an underlying profit every year. A year or two of losses is no big deal for a company of that size as long as the underlying value is there.

It's more a year or two of profits, rather than a year or two of losses. They might be one-offs, but that's part of the business no?

I think it was struggling to turn a profit pre-Musk. Post Musk, its value has severely degraded because of a loss of advertisers. Therefore it would be fair to say Musk has made it far worse than any problems it had before he showed up.

Time will tell really. Musk has really destroyed Twitter's credibility in a lot of circles, that's for sure. From a PR perspective he is set on wrecking it the way he is desperately attention seeking.

His advantage is the cult-like following he has. There are a lot of loner/incel engineers who would gladly put in 12 hour shifts for less pay to fight the libs and so on. He has the far right users (that's a huge chunk of the world really).

As for other countries that use Twitter, they honestly don't know/care about Musk that much. I'm talking about countries in Africa, Asia, Middle East who use twitter for business and information. They just want a service that's up and running so he'd really have to keep screwing up to get them to turn away.

Out of interest has anyone started buying Tesla shares yet? I want to start building a position at some point but I think the valuation is still maybe a bit rich

Out of interest has anyone started buying Tesla shares yet? I want to start building a position at some point but I think the valuation is still maybe a bit rich

I wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole. It was always inflated due to Musk hype, and now that it is deflating because of Musk outrage (as well as a couple of other issues) there's no telling how far it may fall. The next major technical level is 120, which is a long way down from where it is now.