Elon Musk | Owner of X and right wing man-child

I said this will eventually go to an insignificant issue. What is this tweet proving. The entire thing is fecking stupid and has ruined the twitter experience but I still agree that eventually people will stop paying 8 dollars to make one joke before being deactivated.

An issue I have that has yet to be resolved though is what happens when you're impersonating someone that doesn't have a twitter account. What happens then, this entire thing was always a scam and its infuriating

Meta and Google ad product profit is dropping sharply. Companies seem to be realising that advertising online is mostly seen by bots and no longer offers the ROI against the increases in spend every year.

Given the pinch in global economic forecast, this could be a convenient excuse to reduce spending.

Meta has been due to Apple and TikTok but everyone is guiding lower as ad spend falls in a recession. Google also have to monetise shorts as that’s been taking away from video - that will come in Q1 I believe.

Twitter isn’t really used for performance marketing, there’s limited targeting and it’s more brand messaging led so it’s likely to be hit more compared to say Google Search.

Many of the advertisers pulled ‘ads’ but continue using Twitter for organic/non-paid tweets so clearly not pulling completely out and leads me to think it’s just temporary.

Dumb question. Could they or any one else who's been impersonated take legal action?
The check mark/verified status came into being because of this. An American baseball coach, Tony LaRussa was impersonated on Twitter, and threatened legal action. This has been my biggest head scratcher about all of this. The blue check mark exists(existed?) as a protection for Twitter against these lawsuits. Now, instead of a shield, they are a liability.

Musk's first email to Twitter staff ends remote work

Elon Musk in his first email to Twitter employees said remote work would no longer be allowed and that they would be expected in office for at least 40 hours per week

French employement law is a pain in the ass most of the time, but at least it prevents abuse like that. Employement tribunals would kindly tell Musk to go feck himself.

The check mark/verified status came into being because of this. An American baseball coach, Tony LaRussa was impersonated on Twitter, and threatened legal action. This has been my biggest head scratcher about all of this. The blue check mark exists(existed?) as a protection for Twitter against these lawsuits. Now, instead of a shield, they are a liability.

Cheers. Just feels so obvious that this was the case that thought I was missing something.

I'm expecting a lot of employees will look elsewhere then given it's a post-pandemic world.
There's also a sort of adverse selection, where the best employees are the most likely to leave because they're also the most able to find other opportunities.

I'm expecting a lot of employees will look elsewhere then given it's a post-pandemic world.
In general yes, but it is a very difficult situation. Meta fired 11K people yesterday and continued hiring freeze except for a few positions, Microsoft fired 1K people and started a hiring freeze, Apple, Alphabet and Amazon are all in freeze, and many companies are following them, this is the worst time in a decade to find a job.

Elon Musk in his first email to Twitter employees said remote work would no longer be allowed and that they would be expected in office for at least 40 hours per week
What a cnut.
In general yes, but it is a very difficult situation. Meta fired 11K people yesterday and continued hiring freeze except for a few positions, Microsoft fired 1K people and started a hiring freeze, Apple, Alphabet and Amazon are all in freeze, and many companies are following them, this is the worst time in a decade to find a job.
Overdramatic. Those companies are merely adjusting to a crazy period of growth and over-hiring during the pandemic. There's still plenty of employment out there (in Ireland anyway) and at least now smaller companies won't struggle as much for engineers. I've heard from a few that it was nigh on impossible to get people while the big MNC's were hiring like mad.

The worst thing to come from this would be less competition and cnuts like Musk forcing people back into the office as a result. Hopefully it doesn't happen, thankfully my company seem committed to remote working being the future.

Maybe in the US. In Denmark it almost couldn't be easier if you're looking for IT/software jobs, so if this policy change affects people outside of the US I'm sure a bunch of them could walk into a new job if they wanted to.

What a cnut.

Overdramatic. Those companies are merely adjusting to a crazy period of growth and over-hiring during the pandemic. There's still plenty of employment out there (in Ireland anyway) and at least now smaller companies won't struggle as much for engineers. I've heard from a few that it was nigh on impossible to get people while the big MNC's were hiring like mad.

The worst thing to come from this would be less competition and cnuts like Musk forcing people back into the office as a result. Hopefully it doesn't happen, thankfully my company seem committed to remote working being the future.

Maybe in the US. In Denmark it almost couldn't be easier if you're looking for IT/software jobs, so if this policy change affects people outside of the US I'm sure a bunch of them could walk into a new job if they wanted to.

I am talking mostly about top-tier companies which pay the highest salaries. Anecdotal evidence, but I was able to only get interviews from Meta, after applying in Meta, Apple and Amazon. Google, Nvidia and Microsoft has nothing suitable because of their hiring freeze. Just a few months back, I should have been able to get interviews in pretty much any company I wanted. Checking Linkedin, you rarely see anymore job posts from FAANG.

So with big tech not hiring, this leaves either a) second tier companies which pay less, b) hot startups which with stocks seem to be close to FAANG, c) non tech companies which are interested in tech roles which pay half what FAANG pays.

I am talking mostly about top-tier companies which pay the highest salaries. Anecdotal evidence, but I was able to only get interviews from Meta, after applying in Meta, Apple and Amazon. Google, Nvidia and Microsoft has nothing suitable because of their hiring freeze. Just a few months back, I should have been able to get interviews in pretty much any company I wanted. Checking Linkedin, you rarely see anymore job posts from FAANG.

So with big tech not hiring, this leaves either a) second tier companies which pay less, b) hot startups which with stocks seem to be close to FAANG, c) non tech companies which are interested in tech roles which pay half what FAANG pays.
Well you generalised and said "this is the worst time in a decade to find a job". If you said "this is the worst time in years to get a really high paying job with the world's biggest tech companies" then, sure, you'd have a point, but for tech in general it's still very strong.

Also most of the job losses don't seem to be in tech, it's sales, support recruitment etc. that are taking the big hit.

I’m a software developer and my company has the contract with one of the largest digital radio platforms in the world. I help manage the web platform which uses Ad delivery platforms including Google plus the likes of Adswizz, DAX and Triton. We also support a vast range of cookie management platforms which are all designed to integrate with the ad delivery platforms with the use of an encrypted user consent string which is built using the Transparency and Consent Framework (2.0). Its a fairly regular occurrence for one of the main browsers to release an update which turns the privacy screw and breaks this integration. When this happens, the radio station publishers hit us with critical bug tickets because their ad revenue falls through the floor so it’s definitely not just “big money for the platforms and a waste of time for companies“. The internet is literally built on the money targeted ads bring.
That's really interesting, thanks for your post. I would say the internet is therefore built on shaky foundations.

Stupid move. The pandemic proved once and for all that people can be more productive working remotely and it should never be a requirement for jobs that can work remotely to come into an office anymore. At the very least give them a flexible hybrid model. Really bad for quality of life to have to commute to an office. I guess it's no surprise Musk falls into the control freak asshole boss camp.

Absolute car crash

Comedy parodies notwithstanding, Twitter is risking its place in the market here. For various reasons Twitter has become a pseudo-official outlet for Governments, politicians, the NHS, charities, businesses and so on. This is part of the reason Twitter has such an outsized impact relative to its actual users or revenue. The blue tick was an important part of that. It just about made it acceptable for the Government & others to use for official messaging. How long before we start seeing blue tick accounts telling people not to have covid vaccines, or telling people not to vote? If official agencies stop using Twitter and leave it to the trolls, they risk losing that special position they currently have.

giphy-downsized-large.gif

Somehow Elon has not only managed to spunk billions on Twitter, only to see it go down like a Led Zeppelin. He's also, through his calamitous takeover of Twitter, managed to tank Tesla's stock (and his own net worth) buy selling $4b in Tesla to where it was trading at $177 yesterday.

Well you generalised and said "this is the worst time in a decade to find a job". If you said "this is the worst time in years to get a really high paying job with the world's biggest tech companies" then, sure, you'd have a point, but for tech in general it's still very strong.

Also most of the job losses don't seem to be in tech, it's sales, support recruitment etc. that are taking the big hit.
I think it was clear that I was talking in context of Twitter engineers. They are not going to leave their jobs which pay 300k+ to join Boing or Pfizer and get 1/3rd of that. With FAANG (and most of big-N companies) being in hiring freeze, it just gets so much harder to leave those well-paying jobs because Elon is running Twitter badly or that some of their friends were fired.

If this would have happened 6 months ago, I think that many of the remaining engineers would have already be interviewing with other companies for those two reasons I mentioned.

With regards to the bolded ones, hiring freeze is for most positions, including tech ones, except some very critical roles.

I think it was clear that I was talking in context of Twitter engineers. They are not going to leave their jobs which pay 300k+ to join Boing or Pfizer and get 1/3rd of that. With FAANG (and most of big-N companies) being in hiring freeze, it just gets so much harder to leave those well-paying jobs because Elon is running Twitter badly or that some of their friends were fired.

If this would have happened 6 months ago, I think that many of the remaining engineers would have already be interviewing with other companies for those two reasons I mentioned.

With regards to the bolded ones, hiring freeze is for most positions, including tech ones, except some very critical roles.
I would argue it wasn't clear at all. Of course they'll move jobs if they have no choice.

That's not what I said though, I said the losses were mostly not engineers. If the engineers aren't the ones losing their jobs then hiring freezes won't affect them as much.

So when Elon The Fool looks to offload Twitter on to some other mug how much do you reckon he'll get for it? 20billion? Even that?

Hell have to offload to save Tesla and Spaceballs X's reputation.

I would argue it wasn't clear at all. Of course they'll move jobs if they have no choice.

That's not what I said though, I said the losses were mostly not engineers. If the engineers aren't the ones losing their jobs then hiring freezes won't affect them as much.
Well, we were talking about Twitter engineers.

And of course, the hiring freezes affect them. You cannot leave your job to join FAANG et al if they are not hiring in the first place.

I think that Elon was very likely with the timing here, but the hiring freeze will likely (hopefully) end in a few months or a year, and then I expect a mass exodus of Twitter’s best engineers, and them getting replaced with worse engineers considering that Elon companies aren’t particularly know for paying top dollar, and by all accounts he is a very annoying and demanding boss.

Well, we were talking about Twitter engineers.
What are you on about? I was responding to this, which was a generalisation about the market. Stop moving the goalposts.

What are you on about? I was responding to this, which was a generalisation about the market. Stop moving the goalposts.

My post was directly quoting this post:

which was quoting the post on Musk ending the remote working policy.

So,
1) Eyepopper posts the news that Twitter is ending the work from home policy, and people now will need to be in office for at least 40 hours.
2) Maage says that he then expects a lot of workers looking elsewhere.|
3) I said that now it is the worst time in a decade to do so, and explaining why in my next post.

Everything was with regards to Twitter's policy and consequently their workers. They won't just leave their 3xxK salaries just cause now have to work from office where the vast majority of big tech companies are not hiring.

So when Elon The Fool looks to offload Twitter on to some other mug how much do you reckon he'll get for it? 20billion? Even that?

Hell have to offload to save Tesla and Spaceballs X's reputation.

I think that is what it was worth when he bought it and that would've still been overvalued heading into a recession.

The dumbest move was he sold shares of a growing profitable company for an unprofitable one.

If she held those thoughts about why Elon is bad for Twitter why did they let him purchase it.

Explain that to me like I am a golden retriever, don't think I am getting the gist of it.

Basically, the doggy with the bone doesn't know how to play with it. So he has to get his kennel pals to show him new games, then get his puppies to come up with the rules. But if those games get him told off by the humans, the puppies get blamed and put down whilst he gets his kennel pals to sniff and lick his arse.

Basically, the doggy with the bone doesn't know how to play with it. So he has to get his kennel pals to show him new games, then get his puppies to come up with the rules. But if those games get him told off by the humans, the puppies get blamed and put down whilst he gets his kennel pals to sniff and lick his arse.
Crystal clear now. Thanks!