Elon Musk | Owner of X and right wing man-child

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/11/09/technology/twitter-payments-business.html

So Musk is going the payments' route to make a buck out of Twitter.

Me and my fellow nerds in here probably enjoy watching Rick and Morty. There's an episode that is literally about an adictive social app, that falls apart inmediately after they start charging for its use. Wasn't Elon a Big fan of R&M? Didn't he even appear in an episode?

MAYBE that tweet endorsing GOP candidates wasn't that good of an idea. Playing geopolitics isn't easy.

weird, this Giuliani has the blue tick, just doesn't show it on embedded link.

BvA6RIA.png

:lol:

:lol:

If he’s willing to admit that publicly then Elon is probably up to no good behind the scenes with the Saudis, Chinese, and/or Russians.

Didn't Biden meet with the Saudis in person a few months ago :lol:

These two really don't get along do they, all we need is Trump to step back in the limelight and US politics will make Boris Johnson look good.

Isn't it raking in the money if everyone is buying a tick for shits and giggles?

That's a bit dramatic, advertisers will be back. Twitter won't die overnight. Elon really should put a leader in place (doesn't have to be CEO) that knows this industry and talks to advertisers - he isn't good at articulating outside of product features and long term vision. It's the same when he's been on some Tesla earning calls and talked about self-driving and Tesla robots rather than the previous quarterly earnings and guidance, at least there he does have a capable team to talk about the business.

On the payment point in her thread, I saw Twitter applied for the 'license' or whatever the form is to do online payments (like a PayPal, Apple Pay, Google Pay, etc.).

I would agree that while paying 8 bucks to impersonate another verified account is hilarious i dont see it happening much after a couple tries and it will eventually grind down to an insignificant issue
I'm not so sure it will grind down to nothing, fake accounts are as old as the internet and they're still around. But I don't think it's going to destroy Twitter either. It just makes the "blue tick" meaningless.

I would agree that while paying 8 bucks to impersonate another verified account is hilarious i dont see it happening much after a couple tries and it will eventually grind down to an insignificant issue
Yeah it probably will but that was never a problem. There's far more damaging things it could have been used for. They've released a new verification so i guess that should deal with that but its made the blue tick worthless in the process. He probably made a bit of money for the 2 days it lasted.

Isn't it raking in the money if everyone is buying a tick for shits and giggles?

I don't think the amount they're earning is worth the damage it's doing to the platform and resources they're going to have to waste to get it under control.

Imagine paying 40 billion for Twitter and the first real decision is to charge people for a stupid blue tick they’ve had for free all these years.

We could be looking at a monumental failure here if this goes on for much longer, how to kill a 40 billion pound business in a few weeks.

Imagine paying 40 billion for Twitter and the first real decision is to charge people for a stupid blue tick they’ve had for free all these years.

We could be looking at a monumental failure here if this goes on for much longer, how to kill a 40 billion pound business in a few weeks.
Only if a lot of people actually boycott it which I hope they do.

It's very amusing to see these very wealthy tech guy with a huge hubris that somehow think that they can solve any problem or be successful at anything thanks to the sheer power of their intellect. They just assume they sort of figured out how the entire world works.

That's a bit dramatic, advertisers will be back. Twitter won't die overnight. Elon really should put a leader in place (doesn't have to be CEO) that knows this industry and talks to advertisers - he isn't good at articulating outside of product features and long term vision. It's the same when he's been on some Tesla earning calls and talked about self-driving and Tesla robots rather than the previous quarterly earnings and guidance, at least there he does have a capable team to talk about the business.

On the payment point in her thread, I saw Twitter applied for the 'license' or whatever the form is to do online payments (like a PayPal, Apple Pay, Google Pay, etc.).
Meta and Google ad product profit is dropping sharply. Companies seem to be realising that advertising online is mostly seen by bots and no longer offers the ROI against the increases in spend every year.

Given the pinch in global economic forecast, this could be a convenient excuse to reduce spending.

This is a dream, people get to see in real time how shit a businessman he is, not some genius, just a complete moron with so little talent and knowledge who lucked out massively during the dot com boom.

Hopefully we stop defying billionaires as if they're all 290IQ savants who can create financial alchemy and save humanity through their smarts and moxie. This isn't the movies.

Enough of the gushing, paid for articles by lame "journalists" that don't ask questions, enough of desperate finance institutions overlooking all signs a company is terrible because the founder is a "visionary" and they're happy to pump onto retail investors.

Combine all this with the fact he's a terrible human being and I cannot lie, I'm really enjoying this saga

It's very amusing to see these very wealthy tech guy with a huge hubris that somehow think that they can solve any problem or be successful at anything thanks to the sheer power of their intellect. They just assume they sort of figured out how the entire world works.
If you're surrounded by people who all say how amazing every idea is and investors all line up to give you their money, it would warp your mind I imagine.

The real intellect is understanding this, not swallowing your own hype.

Didn't Biden meet with the Saudis in person a few months ago :lol:

These two really don't get along do they, all we need is Trump to step back in the limelight and US politics will make Boris Johnson look good.
You must be wrecked defending Musk these days.

Meta and Google ad product profit is dropping sharply. Companies seem to be realising that advertising online is mostly seen by bots and no longer offers the ROI against the increases in spend every year.

Given the pinch in global economic forecast, this could be a convenient excuse to reduce spending.
It’s more down to GDPR and Apple’s move towards privacy than anything else. Targeted ads are BIG money as is selling user data.

It’s more down to GDPR and Apple’s move towards privacy than anything else. Targeted ads are BIG money as is selling user data.
Recession, Apple’s new policy and Tiktok. Probably in that order (IMO).

Also advertisers were never really on Twitter to begin with, as it’s a shit product at the best of times. The vast majority of “brands” spend more time on their organic channels to enable customer interaction.

When companies tighten their advertising budgets, Twitter will be the first to be culled, if they haven’t already. But it’s the lack of any new advertising that’ll hurt them in the long run.

Honestly, it's big money for the platforms, it's a waste of time for companies.
I’m a software developer and my company has the contract with one of the largest digital radio platforms in the world. I help manage the web platform which uses Ad delivery platforms including Google plus the likes of Adswizz, DAX and Triton. We also support a vast range of cookie management platforms which are all designed to integrate with the ad delivery platforms with the use of an encrypted user consent string which is built using the Transparency and Consent Framework (2.0). Its a fairly regular occurrence for one of the main browsers to release an update which turns the privacy screw and breaks this integration. When this happens, the radio station publishers hit us with critical bug tickets because their ad revenue falls through the floor so it’s definitely not just “big money for the platforms and a waste of time for companies“. The internet is literally built on the money targeted ads bring.