Elon Musk | Owner of X and right wing man-child

Hilarious reading some of the impersonation tweets.

I'm even more convinced he's only bought it to grow and sell its disinformation capabilities. Its the only way this can be worth it.

How were they going to stop him?

Surely the board could've advised shareholders of the risks and to vote against it (whether they listened or not) and then not taken Elon to court to enforce it. Given Elon tried to join the board first before submitting the bid they must've had conversations about what Elon wanted to do internally. The board were happy to take the money. It would've still happened but my comment was more a reaction to why complain and say this about Elon now publicly (everything was being leaked) rather than earlier in the process.

Absolutely agree, I was just commenting on Musk thinking that forcing people back into the office will somehow improve revenue.
Unfortunately this mindset is still widely present in a lot of companies. Employees can't be trusted and are busy watching TV at home, so need to make sure they come to the office if you want to guarantee productivity. Absolute and outdated nonsense.

Although you'd think an innovative genius like Musk would be all over new modes and models of work, leaving no stone unturned to revolutionise work ethics :wenger:

Unfortunately this mindset is still widely present in a lot of companies. Employees can't be trusted and are busy watching TV at home, so need to make sure they come to the office if you want to guarantee productivity. Absolute and outdated nonsense.

Agree. Sure, I watch Utd games in the background and surf the caf more than I did when I was in the office pre-COVID, but I also don't lose 20 min walking from building to building for meetings, an hour when getting dragged into a useless meeting (which I can now work during by turning my camera off), getting ambushed by drive by conversations, etc. Executives who were already in meetings all day with no need for actual productivity miss this.

Surely the board could've advised shareholders of the risks and to vote against it (whether they listened or not) and then not taken Elon to court to enforce it. Given Elon tried to join the board first before submitting the bid they must've had conversations about what Elon wanted to do internally. The board were happy to take the money. It would've still happened but my comment was more a reaction to why complain and say this about Elon now publicly (everything was being leaked) rather than earlier in the process.

Because people care about their jobs?

In any case, surely it's better that it's out now than never. What he's doing now is absolutely evil, making people implement HIS terrible ideas but have them legally liable for them when they fall foul of laws? Not to mention the damage this is doing and will continue to do much more than just twitter.

Because people care about their jobs?

In any case, surely it's better that it's out now than never. What he's doing now is absolutely evil, making people implement HIS terrible ideas but have them legally liable for them when they fall foul of laws? Not to mention the damage this is doing and will continue to do much more than just twitter.

Maybe but this person is in the legal privacy team and leaving now anyway or surely knew as there were reports of a mass layoff especially as one of the main issues was around privacy and moderation.

The latter is perhaps what they didn't expect so quickly. If there was better initial engagement or more visibility of what the plans were in public I would like to think it could've been stopped.

Maybe but this person is in the legal privacy team and leaving now anyway or surely knew as there were reports of a mass layoff especially as one of the main issues was around privacy and moderation.

The latter is perhaps what they didn't expect so quickly. If there was better initial engagement or more visibility of what the plans were in public I would like to think it could've been stopped.

Perhaps, as would be the normal thinking, they didn't expect this at all? I mean there are no doubts that people behind all this know what Musk is and know what he is, but there were those same thoughts about the likes of Trump too. When they cross the line though, that's when it also matters what happens. And Musk is clearly crossing a line here.

Honestly, it's like he wants people to quit so he doesn't have to pay redundancy.

I presume the scandal surrounding him running Twitter into the ground will forever be known as Elongate?

I think that is what it was worth when he bought it and that would've still been overvalued heading into a recession.

The dumbest move was he sold shares of a growing profitable company for an unprofitable one.

It was unprofitable when he purchased it. He's gotten rid of lots of the engineers behind the scenes, he's made a mockery of the company for months before the purchase, and now he's left it in a way worse condition. No one would buy it other than an oil company to use its disinformation capabilities, but I'm not sure if the US government would allow it. He's basically pissed away $44B

Well, we were talking about Twitter engineers.

And of course, the hiring freezes affect them. You cannot leave your job to join FAANG et al if they are not hiring in the first place.

I think that Elon was very likely with the timing here, but the hiring freeze will likely (hopefully) end in a few months or a year, and then I expect a mass exodus of Twitter’s best engineers, and them getting replaced with worse engineers considering that Elon companies aren’t particularly know for paying top dollar, and by all accounts he is a very annoying and demanding boss.

Hiring freeze at big tech is not going to end in few months. By current outlook, it will last throughout 2023. It will not be completely dry, some hiring will stake place but it won't be easy to find a position at FAANG anymore

Oh well. No one can say he hasn't poured his heart and soul into the company and tried everything humanly possible over these past....14 days.
In regards to war in Ukraine he was sure he knew what needed to be done because he spend the night thinking about it. 14 days is quite a massive progress in comparison.

In regards to war in Ukraine he was sure he knew what needed to be done because he spend the night thinking about it. 14 days is quite a massive progress in comparison.
Actually, ACTUALLY, he goes to bed quite late, so...

Absolutely agree, I was just commenting on Musk thinking that forcing people back into the office will somehow improve revenue.
Isn’t it a way of forcing to resign without paying retrenchment

Hiring freeze at big tech is not going to end in few months. By current outlook, it will last throughout 2023. It will not be completely dry, some hiring will stake place but it won't be easy to find a position at FAANG anymore
I guess it is really hard to know how long it will take. Not even bothering to really predict.

I know that some hiring is continuing, I am actually interviewing with Meta next week, although at this stage I would be afraid to accept their offer even in the unlikely event that I will get one. Just too risky right now, especially with some startups offering FAANG-like salaries.

As much of a douchebag this guy is, I think he's done well with the twitter purchase. There's a lot of value in the platform with a unique feature set that I think has been under utilised by the previous management, and over a 10 year span it can increase significantly in value if the execution is right. I held stock in Twitter for quite a while, but over the last 5-7 years it just seemed like nothing was over done to improve twitter.

Musk is smart and ruthless in business if nothing else, so I expect the twitter purchase to return good value for him. Shame because he is really quite unlikeable, but I suppose the traits that make him so are useful to have in business.

I guess it is really hard to know how long it will take. Not even bothering to really predict.

I know that some hiring is continuing, I am actually interviewing with Meta next week, although at this stage I would be afraid to accept their offer even in the unlikely event that I will get one. Just too risky right now, especially with some startups offering FAANG-like salaries.

Not to derail this thread but when you say that are you speaking strictly interms of base salary or are you talking about total compensation. And if you are talking about total compensation then what startups are these? I am genuinely curious.

The only thing Elon has ever done "right" was pay the right people enough money so when he claimed he was the genius of everything that they wouldn't care.

It is not smart business to randomly sack half your workforce, realise you sacked the wrong people and asked them to come back. That's just like....the basics. He pays the right people to look the other way, and not care that he tries to claim credit for their hard work. he tries shock and awe tactics on the wider employees to stun them into submission.

He's nothing more than a cnut that has normalised being a cnut.

Not to derail this thread but when you say that are you speaking strictly interms of base salary or are you talking about total compensation. And if you are talking about total compensation then what startups are these? I am genuinely curious.
Total compensation. It probably is not exactly as much as FAANG but with stocks it seems that 130-150K seems doable in Munich. This is close to FAANG salaries for L4 (although in these companies it would be higher position than that). Of course, the stocks might turn out to be nothing in the end, but the base is still in six digits. Chat with different ones starting from sport/fitness monitoring, defense, video generation etc.

Then there is a Chinese company who also seems to pay quite well and offer decent salary. I chat with them and they mentioned a minimum of 115k in Munich, and 160k pounds in London. The position there would be either senior or principal. In all cases talking for AI roles.

This meme is doing the rounds.

FhJW_m0XoAAV5Tn

Total compensation. It probably is not exactly as much as FAANG but with stocks it seems that 130-150K seems doable in Munich. This is close to FAANG salaries for L4 (although in these companies it would be higher position than that). Of course, the stocks might turn out to be nothing in the end, but the base is still in six digits. Chat with different ones starting from sport/fitness monitoring, defense, video generation etc.

Then there is a Chinese company who also seems to pay quite well and offer decent salary. I chat with them and they mentioned a minimum of 115k in Munich, and 160k pounds in London. The position there would be either senior or principal. In all cases talking for AI roles.
Sounds good, thanks for sharing. And I am assuming a lot of these companies are not public so the stocks are really stock options as opposed to RSUs, right?