Elon Musk | Owner of X and right wing man-child

https://www.theverge.com/2022/10/28...witter-acquisition-problems-speech-moderation

Welcome to hell, Elon
You break it, you buy it.

By NILAY PATEL

You fecked up real good, kiddo.

Twitter is a disaster clown car company that is successful despite itself, and there is no possible way to grow users and revenue without making a series of enormous compromises that will ultimately destroy your reputation and possibly cause grievous damage to your other companies.

I say this with utter confidence because the problems with Twitter are not engineering problems. They are political problems. Twitter, the company, makes very little interesting technology; the tech stack is not the valuable asset. The asset is the user base: hopelessly addicted politicians, reporters, celebrities, and other people who should know better but keep posting anyway. You! You, Elon Musk, are addicted to Twitter. You’re the asset. You just bought yourself for $44 billion dollars.

He has been acting like a child for years at this point and his net worth keeps going up. Why would it change now?

More people are finally discovering he is an idiot, and what stupid people think a genuis is.

He is a cult leader and his cult kept growing over the last decade.

I mean, Ireland is a bit of a tax haven, so I think it's fair to say they slobber over rich people to an extent. But they've also got labour laws, so there's that.

The only reason Ireland (and Netherlands) have a lot of these jobs is exactly because they are tax havens.

Why would a supposedly smart man spend 44billiion on a so called failing tech platform?

Makes no sense at all.

If Twitter was losing so much money why did he buy it?

It's a mistake to always conflate intelligence with success/wealth.

Why would a supposedly smart man spend 44billiion on a so called failing tech platform?

Makes no sense at all.

If Twitter was losing so much money why did he buy it?

he obviously has a plan for it, we just don't know what it is yet

but suffice to say he did not just buy it to keep on running it like before

he obviously has a plan for it, we just don't know what it is yet

but suffice to say he did not just buy it to keep on running it like before
Think he wants to make it the Western version of WeChat, which in China is a combination of WhatsApp and PayPal, combined with TikTok (can revive Vine)

Also worth saying that it's something 10% of twitter users make up 80% to 90% of the content. Musk doesn't even have to piss off that many people before it sinks like shit.

Yeah the vast majority of users just follow curated feeds for news or entertainment and barely post. The only people actually desperate for a blue tick that couldn’t get it before are likely very weak posters, or Nazis*.. or both.

Libertarians remain the singularly dumbest people.

* and even then, a lot of them did. Dorsey was also an idiot libertarian…. Which just leaves bad posters.

Last edited:
The only reason Ireland (and Netherlands) have a lot of these jobs is exactly because they are tax havens.

Other countries can set their own tax rates too.

Don't whinge about tax policy if some country does it better than yours

He's fecked. At this point all it takes is for Zuckerberg or Microsoft to come out with some acceptable competition and most will be off from that shit show.

Twitter's strength isnt their program. I'm no techie but it's very rudementary redcafe seems like high tech. Once people start using the new platform it'll be a dead city of dead horse flogger echo chamber

I doubt actual people used Twitter for interaction and not just for a push notifications on current events

He's fecked. At this point all it takes is for Zuckerberg or Microsoft to come out with some acceptable competition and most will be off from that shit show.

Twitter's strength isnt their program. I'm no techie but it's very rudementary redcafe seems like high tech. Once people start using the new platform it'll be a dead city of dead horse flogger echo chamber

I doubt actual people used Twitter for interaction and not just for a push notifications on current events
This is such a Gen X/Trump way of thinking. "Let's get Bill Gates in to sort this".

Mate, three years ago, if you wanted to web-call someone, you'd "skype them"... Microsoft owned the literally verb to web-call someone. The pandemic hits and the world instantly realise that Microsoft have ruined skype and the world instantly turns to Zoom for it's convenience (despite it's security flaws).

Whatsapp - made by a couple of ex-yahoo nerds.
Instagram - startup (nothing to do with facebook)
Tiktok - Chinese startup back in 2012
and so on.

I can't think of a single thing that the big tech companies (Google/Facebook/Microsoft/Amazon) have actually made themselves in the last... well.. ever.

Now if you'd said "At this point all it takes is for Zuckerberg or Microsoft to BUY an alternative product" I'd probably agree

Platforms like twitter weren't losing that much money before because of getting speculative money from central banks and money from advertisers, with the current conditions and the now incoming recession/depression all that is gone. Doesn't mean it's worth nothing now but the drop off are already starting to hit(Facebook have large chucks of it's value wiped out).

Musk might have quicker the process due to how much he pisses advertisers off but it's a overall trend.

Ok, I see you are speaking from heart and I can even agree with your sentiment, but the numbers are different: even the latest tweets reported here show that advertisers are now fleeing Twitter en masse because Musk is morphing a pretty serious project into just another cesspit. This way, Twitter would not survive Christmas and good riddance.

How long before the financial backers start asking questions?

The whole blue tick subscription is so utterly stupid, I can't believe he's released it. I mean, I know he sacked off the entire board but it's basically confirmation that no-one is going to restrain his crazy ideas.

To abandon a useful feature in order to raise a few quid - and then presumably to completely undermine it further by adding a tagline to the accounts of the 'more important' users so you're sure you're dealing with the real one - I don't know where to begin.

This is such a Gen X/Trump way of thinking. "Let's get Bill Gates in to sort this".

Mate, three years ago, if you wanted to web-call someone, you'd "skype them"... Microsoft owned the literally verb to web-call someone. The pandemic hits and the world instantly realise that Microsoft have ruined skype and the world instantly turns to Zoom for it's convenience (despite it's security flaws).

Whatsapp - made by a couple of ex-yahoo nerds.
Instagram - startup (nothing to do with facebook)
Tiktok - Chinese startup back in 2012
and so on.

I can't think of a single thing that the big tech companies (Google/Facebook/Microsoft/Amazon) have actually made themselves in the last... well.. ever.

Now if you'd said "At this point all it takes is for Zuckerberg or Microsoft to BUY an alternative product" I'd probably agree

Zoom grew exponentially but MS teams was also one of the most used softwares for meetings during pandemic. It is a big success story for MS so don't think they see Skype acquisition as a flop.

In general your point is valid, disruption rarely comes from companies enjoying monopoly.

This is a huge misconception. Twitter tech is anything but simple. People are moving to Mastodon are soon going to find out that feed quality there is no where near, one they saw on Twitter. Just solving the engineering problem of showing user specific feeds to users on their home tab at scale is not easy to solve. Plus once you have solved it, you need a team to maintain that infra. Number of features or functions does not necessarily determine the complexity. For internet based system, especially one deployed on multi region cloud, data centres, it is derived out of scalability, availability and consistency needs.

The only sense, the Twitter tech is "simple" is that there is no magic algorithm or tech running that possibly can not be replicated or learnt by new engineers. Even then they have created in-house optimised solutions over open source solutions, which requires some existing knowledge of the system in place.

This is a huge misconception. Twitter tech is anything but simple. People are moving to Mastodon are soon going to find out that feed quality there is no where near, one they saw on Twitter. Just solving the engineering problem of showing user specific feeds to users on their home tab at scale is not easy to solve. Plus once you have solved it, you need a team to maintain that infra. Number of features or functions does not necessarily determine the complexity. For internet based system, especially one deployed on multi region cloud, data centres, it is derived out of scalability, availability and consistency needs.

The only sense, the Twitter tech is "simple" is that there is no magic algorithm or tech running that possibly can not be replicated or learnt by new engineers. Even then they have created in-house optimised solutions over open source solutions, which requires some existing knowledge of the system in place.
Good job then that twitter are firing so many people that could help with this?

Zoom grew exponentially but MS teams was also one of the most used softwares for meetings during pandemic. It is a big success story for MS so don't think they see Skype acquisition as a flop.

In general your point is valid, disruption rarely comes from companies enjoying monopoly.

We're currently using Teams in my county, incidentally, including as an education platform. It works well to communicate within an organization (particularly during the pandemic, with the online meetings), but it's pretty clear that it was never designed for education. But it's cheaper than the alternatives, so here we are.

Other countries can set their own tax rates too.

Don't whinge about tax policy if some country does it better than yours
Yes, a race to the bottom where the only winners are corporations that are international is one thing that the world always needs.