Elon Musk | Owner of X and right wing man-child

He looks terrible, and he did slur his words in that onstage interview from a few weeks back. The signs are definitely there. What I don’t understand is why people want to work for him - if that was the CEO or owner of my company I’d quit.

He still has many sycophants of course, but a lot of people also seem to have opened their eyes now. Would be kind of fun if he totally implodes.
Cause those companies pay a shitload. If you worked for Tesla for the last 3-5 years, with stock appreciation, chances are that you would be a millionaire.

No one that I know goes to work in a large corporation because of the CEO. Even if you stay for a few years, unless you are a senior manager or higher you probably won’t have more than a ‘hi, how are you’ conversation with the CEO.

Cause those companies pay a shitload. If you worked for Tesla for the last 3-5 years, with stock appreciation, chances are that you would be a millionaire.

No one that I know goes to work in a large corporation because of the CEO. Even if you stay for a few years, unless you are a senior manager or higher you probably won’t have more than a ‘hi, how are you’ conversation with the CEO.

Yeah, no-one chooses their job based on the CEO, agreed, but if the CEO and owner of the company I worked for was playing around with antisemitism, platforming literal Nazis, pushing the Great Replacement conspiracy theory, and that kind of thing, I would definitely look to find something else. If you are well-paid at Tesla, you can be well-paid somewhere else. For some there is probably a lock-in effect with stock options that would make it impractical to do it in the short term, but Musk turning crazy is not exactly new.

Yeah, no-one chooses their job based on the CEO, agreed, but if the CEO and owner of the company I worked for was playing around with antisemitism, platforming literal Nazis, pushing the Great Replacement conspiracy theory, and that kind of thing, I would definitely look to find something else. If you are well-paid at Tesla, you can be well-paid somewhere else. For some there is probably a lock-in effect with stock options that would make it impractical to do it in the short term, but Musk turning crazy is not exactly new.
Most people have mortgages, kids etc. Doing interesting jobs (which you do at both Tesla and SpaceX) and getting paid well is far more important for most people than what the internet troll CEO posts at Twitter.

Usually, stocks are locked down for the first year and then every quarter. But also the price is typically locked down (for the first 4 years) to when you signed the contract, so if you had in contract 80k/year, the stock might have appreciated and is now 200-300k/year. If you have mortgage or kids who are soon going to knowledge, you might not be as trigger happy in leaving the job for something that will pay quite a bit less.

Most people have mortgages, kids etc. Doing interesting jobs (which you do at both Tesla and SpaceX) and getting paid well is far more important for most people than what the internet troll CEO posts at Twitter.

Usually, stocks are locked down for the first year and then every quarter. But also the price is typically locked down (for the first 4 years) to when you signed the contract, so if you had in contract 80k/year, the stock might have appreciated and is now 200-300k/year. If you have mortgage or kids who are soon going to knowledge, you might not be as trigger happy in leaving the job for something that will pay quite a bit less.

Yeah, people have mortgages and kids, and maybe they don't care or make excuses. Still, many could find something different that also pays well without taking a major financial hit. I'd be fecking embarrassed to work for a guy like Elon Musk, and would want to get out of it if possible.

Yeah, people have mortgages and kids, and maybe they don't care or make excuses. Still, many could find something different that also pays well without taking a major financial hit. I'd be fecking embarrassed to work for a guy like Elon Musk, and would want to get out of it if possible.
By working in a corporation and being surrounded by people who work in corporations, I really have to meet one who cares about their CEO. It is not a family, you are there selling your time for some amount of money. Some like their CEO but give them a 20% increase and they’ll change the company. I think salary, working on stuff you enjoy, do you think this is making a difference for good (in that order) tend to be far more important that who is the CEO and what are their political beliefs. That’s why you have right wing people working in many Silicon Valley companies, and left wing people working for the likes of Palantir or Citadel. You even have companies where the hierarchy have completely opposite political beliefs (Jim Simmons giving tens of millions to Democrats and Ray Mercer essentially electing Trump).

Tesla and SpaceX do fundamentally good and interesting work, they pay well, that’s why most people continue working there. If they replace Musk with Steve Bannon, Dalai Lama or Taylor Swift, and continue doing as well, I don’t expect many people leaving those jobs too.

If you really want to have a massive impact, you actually go in a startup where actually your impact matters. In corporations, you are a small cog in a machine and are there to get paid, most people tend to be honest with themselves about it.

Apparently the contracts they've been handing out to people in Sweden are pretty mad. I read an article the other day about how they're 40-70 pages long and you can't work for a competitor in the next six months, which is mad considering we're talking about mechanics and the like, where any other workshop can reasonably be argued is a competitor. Furthermore, anything the employee creates in their spare time would be the property of Tesla. A lot of it looked like it was lifted straight from an American contract with zero consideration for Swedish law.
For reference, Swedish contracts are generally 4-5 pages.

He looks terrible, and he did slur his words in that onstage interview from a few weeks back. The signs are definitely there. What I don’t understand is why people want to work for him - if that was the CEO or owner of my company I’d quit.

He still has many sycophants of course, but a lot of people also seem to have opened their eyes now. Would be kind of fun if he totally implodes.

Him and his companies are still high profile enough to look good on a CV. That may well change, though.

hmmm

GDaFSQwa0AAl8OF

As long as it brings me any value, I see no reason to delete my account. I don't pay and I have no ads, nor do I tweet.
And you don't mind that you are trying to gain that value from a platform promoting blatant racism bordering on eugenics, thus further enabling that platform in doing so?

And you don't mind that you are trying to gain that value from a platform promoting blatant racism bordering on eugenics, thus further enabling that platform in doing so?

Do you use YouTube? TikTok? Instagram? Facebook? Reddit? There's vile parts of those platforms as well. Besides, how am I enabling the platform? Aren't you enabling the platform too, by posting in a discussion thread about it?

Do you use YouTube? TikTok? Instagram? Facebook? Reddit? There's vile parts of those platforms as well. Besides, how am I enabling the platform? Aren't you enabling the platform too, by posting in a discussion thread about it?
I'm pretty sure I'm doing the opposite. But I don't think we're going to agree about this. Thanks for your honest response, though.

I'm pretty sure I'm doing the opposite. But I don't think we're going to agree about this. Thanks for your honest response, though.

There is also tons of people using twitter to promote virtuos or wise content. Its just a platform that isnt heavily regulated.

And tons of stuff like sports stuff etc.

As long as it brings me any value, I see no reason to delete my account. I don't pay and I have no ads, nor do I tweet.

I’m really just questioning the value it brings you. You share a lot of tweets that are profoundly depressing to read. I’m assuming they’re only a small sample of all the head melting stuff you’re exposed to every day. That shit can grind you down over time. I know that’s what happened to me. And it seems a lot worse now than it was when I was last using it.

I’m really just questioning the value it brings you. You share a lot of tweets that are profoundly depressing to read. I’m assuming they’re only a small sample of all the head melting stuff you’re exposed to every day. That shit can grind you down over time. I know that’s what happened to me. And it seems a lot worse now than it was when I was last using it.

They're depressing to read, sure, but they're also the reality of what's going on, and I enjoy being informed. Some of them are also more pathetically funny than depressing, though there's always elements of both because Musk is so dumb. We both frequent the CE forum too, even though a vast majority of the content is negative. I'd actually argue the Elon Musk thread is one of the less depressing ones in the CE, since so much of it is just absurdly dumb stuff.

That said, it's only part of what I see on Twitter. I also only see that sort of stuff filtered through accounts I've personally chosen to follow, which is usually for the purpose of highlighting how bad it is (and possibly finding a way to combat it) or outright making fun of it.

Don't know if this is the case for you, but 99% of the atrocious or funny right-wing stuff I find there is stuff posted onto my timeline by someone highlighting it. I muted Musk months ago, that weird clickbait Kira account more than a year ago, and that's been enough to clear the direct sources. The "user experience" is much more undermined by the endless bot spam in the replies of every big tweet, likes and follows from bots, and more ads than usual. I've started blocking blue check nonsense on sight, must be up to around 10k by now. Easily the biggest issue in terms of wanting to quit the site.

On youtube, it was the opposite: the algorithm was throwing centre-right and right-wing sources at me every single time - homepage, recommendations, autoplay, etc. To the point that they took over the screen After many rounds of blocks, it's mostly ok (if limited) now.

Don't know if this is the case for you, but 99% of the atrocious or funny right-wing stuff I find there is stuff posted onto my timeline by someone highlighting it. I muted Musk months ago, that weird clickbait Kira account more than a year ago, and that's been enough to clear the direct sources. The "user experience" is much more undermined by the endless bot spam in the replies of every big tweet, likes and follows from bots, and more ads than usual. I've started blocking blue check nonsense on sight, must be up to around 10k by now. Easily the biggest issue in terms of wanting to quit the site.

On youtube, it was the opposite: the algorithm was throwing centre-right and right-wing sources at me every single time - homepage, recommendations, autoplay, etc. To the point that they took over the screen After many rounds of blocks, it's mostly ok (if limited) now.

Yeah, that matches my Twitter experience pretty well. Not so much YouTube, though. I don't think I've ever had an issue with the algorithm recommending me right-wing/conspiracy material.

:lol: My YouTube is so vanilla compared to this. I never get recommended anything other than bouldering and fishing videos or stuff by Chris MD (I blame my son for that last one!)

:lol: My YouTube is so vanilla compared to this. I never get recommended anything other than bouldering and fishing videos or stuff by Chris MD (I blame my son for that last one!)
I haven't used it in ages outside of links from elsewhere or searching for something specific. Mine was similar, it was recommending 3 pretty specific things and nothing else. It seemed to be an every decreasing circle of content or links for me.

Real or not, I wouldn't be surprised one bit. I remember during the 2016 election my devices got inundated with conservative (read: far right) talking points, channels etc, including many Russian ones (huh?). And I've heard I definitely was not alone in that experience. I blocked so many channels etc and it kept coming. And then it suddenly stopped. It was really quite unsettling.