Elon Musk | Owner of X and right wing man-child

He just seems to be a typical wannabe-edgy teen that spent so much time online he wound up on 4chan. It would be understandable if he wasn't a middle aged man. That part makes it more pathetic than pitiful.

I give it a month before he shaves his head bald and starts dressing like Andrew Tatw.

Probably he read a meme-extract of the aeneid and thought it was an obscure old time poem that only scholars know and decided to play smart among their dumb fanboys...And lots will lap it up

That's not fair really as although it most definitely has become exactly that, it's easy enough to ignore but just using the following tab or just scrolling though the bullshit and just stopping on the Tweets that you want to see. For me it's mostly football, music, news, technology and nature Tweets that I'm looking for.

I'm not sure what your point here is?

So it’s not the overt racism, antisemitism and misogyny that will drive people away from Twitter. It’ll be the need to pay for that content.
Grim.

You can choose to block all that stuff, so it's not really a problem...

I guess??

The caf still largely supports twitter as about 10 per cent of posts are tweets. I've tried to cut down my own posting of tweets, I think in a few years posts that were tweets may also just be blank.

I'm not sure what your point here is?

You were suggesting people will leave Twitter if they have to pay but didn't when it became a haven for racism, bigotry and hate speech. I was just pointing out that all that can be easily avoided or ignored and people can still use Twitter for the positive things they did before. It doesn't mean they agree with the vile shit that's posted regularly since Musk took over, more that many don't see it or interact with it.

You were suggesting people will leave Twitter if they have to pay but didn't when it became a haven for racism, bigotry and hate speech. I was just pointing out that all that can be easily avoided or ignored and people can still use Twitter for the positive things they did before. It doesn't mean they agree with the vile shit that's posted regularly since Musk took over, more that many don't see it or interact with it.
Well, if the caf became a safe place for racists and bigots I would stop using it even if I can ignore those specific posters.

Okay. But using the platform gives impressions for ad revenue which contributes to the funding of the platform, the owner of which is deliberately gaming to promote conspiracies and hateful views. Musk has shown no regard for the harm caused or any intent to change the platform based on the feedback from people who find this stuff problematic.

If it was the case that the company was dealing with the issues I'd understand it more, but as it is they are actively amplifying it. When the platform itself is being used as the weapon, isn't it better to not use the platform than essentially support it by giving the impressions and numbers that help fund it and the agenda it promotes?

Sure. But you’re still complicit. Twitter isn’t being highjacked by some group of right wing lunatics. Their „king“ has bought it. Apparently for the very purpose of spreading misinformation, bigotry and propaganda. The platform itself is now the issue. It’s like having a subscription to a newspaper that gets bought by some right wing maniac. Sure, you might still like their sports section. But your subscription is funding the right wing agenda.
With Twitter it’s similar. While you might not actively pay the site, you and others using it is the reason they can monetise it. So your helping to spread misinformation, bigotry, racism, homophobia, transphobia and so on, simply by still frequenting this site. And no matter how deep you insert your fingers into your ears and no matter how hard you close your eyes while being on that site, the outcome is the same.
If Niall were to sell this place here to Tommy Robinson, I’d be gone within seconds. Because the very purpose for which the site is meant changes in that very moment. And it’s a purpose I can’t support.
What you are saying is basically that you don’t care about what happens, as long as you can look away.

correlation causation and so on. Stupid people and so on

Sure. But you’re still complicit. Twitter isn’t being highjacked by some group of right wing lunatics. Their „king“ has bought it. Apparently for the very purpose of spreading misinformation, bigotry and propaganda. The platform itself is now the issue. It’s like having a subscription to a newspaper that gets bought by some right wing maniac. Sure, you might still like their sports section. But your subscription is funding the right wing agenda.
With Twitter it’s similar. While you might not actively pay the site, you and others using it is the reason they can monetise it. So your helping to spread misinformation, bigotry, racism, homophobia, transphobia and so on, simply by still frequenting this site. And no matter how deep you insert your fingers into your ears and no matter how hard you close your eyes while being on that site, the outcome is the same.
If Niall were to sell this place here to Tommy Robinson, I’d be gone within seconds. Because the very purpose for which the site is meant changes in that very moment. And it’s a purpose I can’t support.
What you are saying is basically that you don’t care about what happens, as long as you can look away.

This is a ridiculous position. People need to understand the concept of remoteness.

One is not helping to spread any of those things by browsing a social media platform with half a billion monthly users.

The correlation between non-checkie user -> twitter revenue is murky, especially given that they seem to be moving from an ad-based to a subscription-based model (at which point I'm out)
Even if it is a more direct correlation, I think this analogy works:
I don't eat meat because I think the animal ag industry is immoral and harmful to the environment. I buy my food from restaurants and supermarkets that sell meat. So, I'm actively funding their animal-killing agenda (even if the hope is that the cumulative effect of vegetarianism causes them to reduce their meat stock). Unless I start growing my own food, I have to be ok with this much "contamination".
At the same time, I wouldn't go to a meat-focused shop (there's one near my house) even if it does have some things I eat. Same way I wouldn't want to go to Rumble or whatever, which is totally taken for and by them.
I have a few hundred people I follow and a few dozen mutuals and don't have to wander into the blue check wastelands most of the time.

Guy whose family immigrated to apartheid South Africa turns out to be a fascist.