Elon Musk | Owner of X and right wing man-child

Not every facet of a business needs to be monetised. If you eat in a restaurant, you don't pay to use the toilets. In a business model like this the participants can be the business you sell to Advertisers for example and then the free use of the platform will increase the worth of the product. Yes charging the customers in a pub to piss will increase your revenue, but might kill your business.

But yeah, they should be and are free to do what they like.
Having a basic version for free users and a premium version with extra features for those that are willing to pay is fairly standard practice. People are talking as if we all have a god given right to use a service that costs millions to run for free.

Having a basic version for free users and a premium version with extra features for those that are willing to pay is fairly standard practice. People are talking as if we all have a god given right to use a service that costs millions to run for free.
You quite clearly have no understanding of how social media works. It’s an inverse business model where the customers are also your content creators. In the case of Twitter you have celebrities, sports stars, journalists, musicians, brands, news networks, the list goes on, creating content for free and engaging with these customers to create more content and in return advertisers were desperate to sandwich their adverts in-between this content.

To introduce a pay gate in the middle of that and remove the security that was in place for the most important of these content creators was mindlessly stupid.

See Marques Brownlee’s Tweet above. What he could possibly have done was develop and release a new set of features which enhance the product and paywall those.

I don't think that's the case. Consumers have never liked hidden or surprise costs.

Also people don't like paying for things that were free, unless it's crack or heroin.

It happened in my line of work. I ran a record label and people said downloading killed it, but our audience weren't downloading. For me, in our section of the industry it was the Sunday Papers giving away free CDs that made it quite tricky to charge €20 thereafter.

You quite clearly have no understanding of how social media works. It’s an inverse business model where the customers are also your content creators. In the case of Twitter you have celebrities, sports stars, journalists, musicians, brands, news networks, the list goes on, creating content for free and engaging with these customers to create more content and in return advertisers were desperate to sandwich their adverts in-between this content.

To introduce a pay gate in the middle of that and remove the security that was in place for the most important of these content creators was mindlessly stupid.

See Marques Brownlee’s Tweet above. What he could possibly have done was develop and release a new set of features which enhance the product and paywall those.
That would have been good

My limit might be lower because I'm banned? I also can't seem to delete my account, I've requested for deleting my account several times with the solemn pledge that I will never create a new one, but to no avail. Apparantly inciting a coup in the US isn't bad enough to not have your ban lifted, but calling Trump a shite eating cnut is.
Reported. Mods, this vileness can not stand.

I know there’s bigger things going on on Twitter right now, but I just find it pathetic that it gives me a warning if I want to call a flat-earther a fecking moron because of the language used, but people can call me a paedophile & suggest I’m a convicted child molester, and it’s on ME to report THEM and then they get a 3 day suspension.

Is he possibly the dumbest person ever to be the richest a person in the world? I guess some pretty dumb monarchs might have had that honour, but at least in the modern era.

No need for the qualifier.

Is he possibly the dumbest person ever to be the richest person in the world? I guess some pretty dumb monarchs might have had that honour, but at least in the modern era.
He's the first richest person in history that doesn't understand the basic concept of shutting the feck up. I'd guess that plenty were much dumber, but if they don't talk that much they can't break the illusion.

He's the first richest person in history that doesn't understand the basic concept of shutting the feck up. I'd guess that plenty were much dumber, but if they don't talk that much they can't break the illusion.
That's sort of the point though. Anyone self-aware enough to know when to stay quiet is less dumb than Musk.

That's sort of the point though. Anyone self-aware enough to know when to stay quiet is less dumb than Musk.
Possibly, imo this is more of a generational thing. Previous richest people were mostly older than him and didn't have a chance to be terminally online. I would guess, that this will be a more common occurence now.

Possibly, imo this is more of a generational thing. Previous richest people were mostly older than him and didn't have a chance to be terminally online. I would guess, that this will be a more common occurence now.
He's in his fifties. Also, the exact same principle applies to the online argument: it's not as if being a cnut online is compulsory in order to get rich and/or enjoy your riches. Even now, there are billions of people who know better than Musk when it comes to not making a fool of themselves on social media.

He is once again, so fecking stupid.

Twitter, tweets, retweets all just sounds already. It all flows together nicely and other companies would kill for that branding.

He actually has the brain of a 15 year old edge lord that still thinks 69 is a funny number.

I've yet to experience the limit, Musk must hate you in particular (a badge of honour).

I deleted my account some time ago but if I click on a tweet in here and then have a bit of a scroll around once or twice, usually the next time I try to access it that day I won't be able to view any tweets.

If only the Glazers were as active as him on social media :lol:

X sounds like something my 12 year old cousin would name, and probably regret it after few years calling it childish when he jumps to highschool.

Twitter is such a strong brand that it literally became a verb and changed our language.

You tweet, you retweet.

You don't X or re-X. It is insanity.

People would pay billions for the kind of brand awareness and reach twitter has, and he wants to throw it away.

Don't care how much money he has, he is an idiot. A very childish one.

So once Twitter changes its name, is it free for someone else to just nick that name and brand awareness that comes with it or will they still legally own the rights to the name etc?

Twitter is such a strong brand that it literally became a verb and changed our language.

You tweet, you retweet.

You don't X or re-X. It is insanity.

People would pay billions for the kind of brand awareness and reach twitter has, and he wants to throw it away.

Don't care how much money he has, he is an idiot. A very childish one.

I think he wants X to be a super app for everything from finances to daily chatter, which would go beyond tweeting only, hence the name change.

Still a strange move admittedly

People genuinely thought this guy was going to save mankind

Is there a motive for him to destroy Twitter? Seems like every day he's trying to come up with new ideas to reduce traffic and alienate more users. Giving up one of the best brands in the world makes zero sense. He can't be that much of an idiot.

So essentially he thinks he can force wechat on everyone because there is no twitter substitute yet. This can be the only reason the other financial backers are still holding on. They've deluded themselves into believing that he's about to create twitter-google pay-apple pay-ebay-alibaba all in one app :lol: :lol:

So essentially he thinks he can force wechat on everyone because there is no twitter substitute yet. This can be the only reason the other financial backers are still holding on. They've deluded themselves into believing that he's about to create twitter-google pay-apple pay-ebay-alibaba all in one app :lol: :lol:
I'd go as far to say that it might not even be delusion. These VC folks have gotten away with a lot of shit. Big Tech is already morphing into something like the Umbrella Corp with their tentacles everywhere. Musk and his investors might actually get it done.

We have ourselves to blame.

manson-1970_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqsZK1PK7LHghwVmGRwSE6g6IiV0RjxXV4BjWyyKELPxk.jpg

It was weak when this guy did it too.