Elon Musk | Owner of X and right wing man-child

From Silly to absolute Idiot in matter of one post - Collection log slot achieved!

listen, they did their research and are now experts in infectious diseases and epidemiology. Who are we to doubt someone with such esteemed credentials?

I wonder if he'll unban me. I never threatened anyone, I just stated that I suspect that the world would be a better place if Trump and all his cultists were dead.

Harsh, sure, but facts don't care about ypur feelings innit.

Then again it's not going to turn into the wild west, Twitter needs advertisers and thus they will have to sanitize the platform to a degree, unlike 4chan.

His tweet from yesterday also suggest he is fully aware of that.

Oh how kind from the saviour of the civilization.

FgFAROFVsAEfyu7

This is just a fancy way of saying Twitter is going to (continue to) data-mine its users and sell the information to advertisers. Thank feck for GDPR, though.

The best thing to do now if you are against this is to simply delete your account. If all people who are against this do that and allow it to simply become another Parler then the share price will evaporate and all he has bought for billions is another right wing platform. We've all seen how they go. Its obviously easy for me to say, as someone who doesn't have a Twitter account, but its the most simple solution. Someone will inevitably create another, similar, platform just as the Whatsapp guys created Signal (also encouraging friends and family to use Signal is a good idea too).

I signed up for CounterSocial when this first came up. Still have my twitter account as I want to track where people are going. It sucks as it's a great place for up to date information on all sorts of subjects.

Then again it's not going to turn into the wild west, Twitter needs advertisers and thus they will have to sanitize the platform to a degree, unlike 4chan.

... it is important for the future of civilization to have a common digital town square, where a wide range of beliefs can be debated in a health manner...

Does that sound even remotely like Twitter :lol: ?

FgFAROFVsAEfyu7

This is just a fancy way of saying Twitter is going to (continue to) data-mine its users and sell the information to advertisers. Thank feck for GDPR, though.
I never got a medical treatment from an online ad before but I better start paying attention now

I signed up for CounterSocial when this first came up. Still have my twitter account as I want to track where people are going. It sucks as it's a great place for up to date information on all sorts of subjects.

Oh definitely no doubt it sucks and will suck for a good while. I left Whatsapp years ago and only in the last year have I convinced enough friends that Signal is better than Whatsapp and they convinced enough of theirs that we now have everyone we want on Signal. I think with Twitter, though, that if this 'huge' news' is used in the right way and there are huge campaigns from the left to get people to leave that it might hurt for less time. If people leave en mass then it won't be long until someone with the capital sees the opportunity to give a platform to all the leavers.

The last thing I want is echo chambers but we all know the issue with the new Twitter's 'free speech' will be most of it from the 'right' will be outright lies. Ideally you want a platform where the left and right only speak the truth but one side has especially shown its ability to peddle lies as a usual thing. (For any rightwing people here, I'm not saying the left don't lie but demonstrably they lie much less than the right).

Have you used it much? I signed up a while back but I haven't actually attempted to get involved on there yet. I follow the jester on Twitter and from his tweets it seems like it has a shitload of cool features.

It goes far beyond Musk's own comments. He is currently owner CEO of something like six companies. Tesla is publicly traded and subject to pitchfork wielding, social media mob cancel culture. SpaceX is reliant on money from the US government. Those are far more powerful incentives for Musk to behave himself than assuaging advertisers on Twitter.

"I did it to try to help humanity, whom I love"

fecking hell, how can anyone fall for this shit? :lol:

He totally loves humanity and is doing this out of selflessness, getting rich is just a happy coincidence. :devil:

Obviously with all the reports on how he exploits his workers and is union busting like he is Jeff Bezos the majority of us has realized it's just an image he likes to create around his persona.

I've reported about 30 tweets today for just blatant racism. I'm sure it's just 4chan incels logging into old accounts to do their usual but it's not a good look.

Oh how kind from the saviour of the civilization.

He obviously is full of shite. He came up with that strategy when he was looking for a good story to market Tesla on and it worked like a charm, that "real life Iron Man" / "savior of humanity" persona brought him a cult like following, so of course he keeps riding that narrative. The funny thing is, he isn't wrong that polarization is threatening the very fabric of democracy, but Twitter so far has rather been a tool of division instead of unification, and he seems to be totally fine with it, judging by his actions not his words.

It goes far beyond Musk's own comments. He is currently owner CEO of something like six companies. Tesla is publicly traded and subject to pitchfork wielding, social media mob cancel culture. SpaceX is reliant on money from the US government. Those are far more powerful incentives for Musk to behave himself than assuaging advertisers on Twitter.

He is a bit of a loose canon at times, but in the end it's all about money for him and yes all those things being threatened to be taken away from him will probably reign him in, but I wouldn't underestimate the power of advertisers on social media platforms.

Alternatively, Musk views Twitter the same way Murdoch views Fox/WSJ. Billionaires buying media platforms which give the, leverage over politicians is nothing new.

Musk knows how powerful Twitter is politically. It wouldn’t be a surprise to see him leverage it in the favour of Trump and the Republicans in general for quid pro quo contracts for his other companies. He’s also snuggling up to Putin who himself wants Republicans back in power so Ukraine support is slashed. What does Musk stand to gain from Russia?

Exactly why I asked :)

Can you maybe check with your friend and post some more high level details?
It would be a fascinating read from outside looking in.
I will DM you if I get some more details on this.

Alternatively, Musk views Twitter the same way Murdoch views Fox/WSJ. Billionaires buying media platforms which give the, leverage over politicians is nothing new.

Musk knows how powerful Twitter is politically. It wouldn’t be a surprise to see him leverage it in the favour of Trump and the Republicans in general for quid pro quo contracts for his other companies. He’s also snuggling up to Putin who himself wants Republicans back in power so Ukraine support is slashed. What does Musk stand to gain from Russia?

He can't afford view it as such because the public can boycott Tesla (his main source of wealth). If he runs afoul of basic freedom of speech laws in the US, Congress can also take action on a number of fronts ranging from not investing in SpaceX, creating more bureaucracy for Tesla in the US, and beyond. His biggest threat however, will be by people using his own platform (Twitter) to mobilize against him and Tesla.

Crazy just how open and unregulated Twitter was back around that time, ISIS recruitment and propaganda accounts just doing their thing.

Ya I wasn't on twitter then, but i heard there were a lot of beheading videos being shared as pro-ISIS propganda. and that those accounts being banned was the first major purge.
Slippery slope!

I've reported about 30 tweets today for just blatant racism. I'm sure it's just 4chan incels logging into old accounts to do their usual but it's not a good look.

as we know, spamming the n-word is essential because it is important for the future of civilization to have a common digital town square, where a wide range of beliefs can be debated in a healthy manner.

Ya I wasn't on twitter then, but i heard there were a lot of beheading videos being shared as pro-ISIS propganda. and that those accounts being banned was the first major purge.
Slippery slope!

as we know, spamming the n-word is essential because it is important for the future of civilization to have a common digital town square, where a wide range of beliefs can be debated in a healthy manner.

Weirdly enough I've actually had quite fast responses telling me the accounts did break the rules.

Only issue is they basically just ask the person to delete it and then they can tweet again. It's a joke.

I had no idea how small Twitter was. 250m users, less than even Snapchat and who uses that these days? Musk wants to quadruple the user base of a near 20 year old company, and move it away from the left leaning tendencies to a more centre ground. Good luck with that! I reckon its currently worth about half what he has paid for it. It's going to be a long climb back.

I had no idea how small Twitter was. 250m users, less than even Snapchat and who uses that these days? Musk wants to quadruple the user base of a near 20 year old company, and move it away from the left leaning tendencies to a more centre ground. Good luck with that! I reckon its currently worth about half what he has paid for it. It's going to be a long climb back.

Pretty sure we will start to see viable Twitter alternatives pop up (whether Dorsey's or others) which will put a bit of pressure on Twitter to keep up or else gradually get Myspaced into irrelevance.

This will just kill Twitter, life will move on to the next social media platform

Care to expend on how he isn't smart and no one should be allowed to think that? His achievements alone would point to some intelligence going on somewhere.

Just check all his pearls of wisdom on the other Musk thread.

His achievements are essentially getting funding and selling things which don't exist, and calling himself the founder of products he didn't create. And essentially building a cult around him. It doesn't make him intelligent, same as Kanye isn't despite his "achievements".

His idea of centre ground isn’t centre ground when he thinks democrats are the radical left ffs :lol:

This will just kill Twitter, life will move on to the next social media platform

True. Just look at what is happening to Facebook in slow motion over the past year. Its gradually become a wasteland of algo-hell replete with never ending ads and tik-tok style videos. No wonder the stock price is down 70% this year.