Elon Musk | Owner of X and right wing man-child

Lots of shit like this all over Twitter at the moment. Apparently they are all celebrating the recent changes at the top and they can now all speak freely.

Sigh. :rolleyes:

In my opinion, Musk has made a big mistake buying twitter. It is very difficult to find a proper balance of moderation for twitter. If he relaxes the rules, twitter will be flooded by conspiracy weirdos. If he does not relax the rules, the trumpers will attack him. Either way, it is much easier for him to lose that to gain anything. I can't even see what he has to gain here. Jack Dorsey has kept a low profile and nobody was blaming him for twitter's shortcomings. Musk is very high profile, everyone will blame him personally.

Musk was successful in many endeavours, and he is probably a very smart person. However, smart and successful people sometimes make big mistakes, especially when they become arrogant.

He is not a very smart person, how anyone can still think that is beyond me.

He is a great snake oil salesman if you want to give him credit.

LOLZ.... building a youtube clone is not easy if you are doing it at the same scale. Google subsidised Youtube for ages before being able to monetise it with ads and in the last earning report that also went down to the competition from TikTok. Google is also able to rely on its own cloud infrastructure for video storage while Twitter most certainly have to rely on one of the big three cloud providers (AWS, GCP or Azure), they already use GCP I believe. So their economics of being able to monetise videos will also be different since they will have to pay a cloud provider to store them.
Twitter has scaled back from cloud actually. They are using GCP but the cost increase was significantly higher than the on-prem DC. They have started bringing back some of their architecture off GCP to on-prem. They already have a heavily subsidized usage provided by GCP, yet their invoicing was massive.

Misinformation

Lots of shit like this all over Twitter at the moment. Apparently they are all celebrating the recent changes at the top and they can now all speak freely.

Sigh. :rolleyes:

Wait, people still deny covid was the result of research gone wrong? You still think it came from someone eating a pangolin?

Twitter has scaled back from cloud actually. They are using GCP but the cost increase was significantly higher than the on-prem DC. They have started bringing back some of their architecture off GCP to on-prem. They already have a heavily subsidized usage provided by GCP, yet their invoicing was massive.

Is there a publicly accessible website/blog that I can read to get insights on such architecture/design decisions? Something to give me a sense of scale they’re working with. I can’t imagine such decisions being inexpensive.

So how exactly did he finance this? Leveraged buyout? But wouldn't that mean that Twitter is now heavily in debt?

Is there a publicly accessible website/blog that I can read to get insights on such architecture/design decisions? Something to give me a sense of scale they’re working with. I can’t imagine such decisions being inexpensive.
I doubt they will ever provide the architecture/design docs anywhere on public platform.
I am aware of this as I have a friend who is currently involved in that project at Twitter.

LOLZ.... building a youtube clone is not easy if you are doing it at the same scale. Google subsidised Youtube for ages before being able to monetise it with ads and in the last earning report that also went down to the competition from TikTok. Google is also able to rely on its own cloud infrastructure for video storage while Twitter most certainly have to rely on one of the big three cloud providers (AWS, GCP or Azure), they already use GCP I believe. So their economics of being able to monetise videos will also be different since they will have to pay a cloud provider to store them.
Yeah but Musk will do his usual thing and see someone else's idea on social media, immediately say he's going to implement it, then walk into a room full of engineers and say "make the thing". Then he'll walk out and spend the next twelve months making hilarious photoshops whilst his employees do all the work, before he takes credit for it.

Yeah but Musk will do his usual thing and see someone else's idea on social media, immediately say he's going to implement it, then walk into a room full of engineers and say "make the thing". Then he'll walk out and spend the next twelve months making hilarious photoshops whilst his employees do all the work, before he takes credit for it.

My favourite social media is likely about to be ruined.

Wait, people still deny covid was the result of research gone wrong? You still think it came from someone eating a pangolin?

yeah. everyone who has done their research knows donald trump and tony blairs concocted it in sylvester stallone’s basement so they could sell nft’s to people whilst they were locked down and had nothing better to do.

I just don't see much changing tbh. If he turns it into a right-wing, Qanon hellscape, it will go the way of all right-wing social media, broke and existing on donations from the Koch Bros.

I doubt they will ever provide the architecture/design docs anywhere on public platform.
I am aware of this as I have a friend who is currently involved in that project at Twitter.

Exactly why I asked :)

Can you maybe check with your friend and post some more high level details?
It would be a fascinating read from outside looking in.

Gosh he's going to be insufferable. Although to be fair i missed Trump on twitter.. he's gonna be hillarious.

The good thing about his presidency is the twitter thead. Trevor Noah aint got shit on him

Gosh he's going to be insufferable. Although to be fair i missed Trump on twitter.. he's gonna be hillarious.

The good thing about his presidency is the twitter thead. Trevor Noah aint got shit on him

ErP0b6MW4AQ380d.png

Best tweet he ever did.

Im just gunna assume the worse. He’ll move quickly to increase coverage of right-wing messaging in time for US Election Day. Targeted to swing voters… Or simply at swing states to start with from location data.

I made the mistake of looking at the replies to a Musk tweet. Holy shit. People just saying the N word “because now they’re allowed”.

I've heard some murmurings about EU laws preventing Musk from unleashing twitter as some sort of 4chan-esque social media platform

Is there any truth to this? Is he shackled by laws in the EU?

I hope so, it would be amazing if he spent $44b on the platform just for it to become so toxic that everyone stops using it. :lol:
He will hate it, forced to buy it and seems like one thing he'd rather not deal with. Could get ugly.

He is not a very smart person, how anyone can still think that is beyond me.

He is a great snake oil salesman if you want to give him credit.

Care to expend on how he isn't smart and no one should be allowed to think that? His achievements alone would point to some intelligence going on somewhere.

The best thing to do now if you are against this is to simply delete your account. If all people who are against this do that and allow it to simply become another Parler then the share price will evaporate and all he has bought for billions is another right wing platform. We've all seen how they go. Its obviously easy for me to say, as someone who doesn't have a Twitter account, but its the most simple solution. Someone will inevitably create another, similar, platform just as the Whatsapp guys created Signal (also encouraging friends and family to use Signal is a good idea too).