Elon Musk | Owner of X and right wing man-child

"You have a roof over your head. what's the problem?"

ok boomer.

Twitter created value for a lot of users. Now it no longer creates the same value, and when it creates some of it, it comes with a greater amount of noise. There are no alternative communities out there currently capable of creating similar value.
So Twitter equals housing. Understood.

Are some people really so oblivious about the importance of twitter and the impact it has in the real world?

What, fox news is radicalizing people who go out there and commit hate crimes? Bro, just change the channel.

Are some people really so oblivious about the importance of twitter and the impact it has in the real world?

What, fox news is radicalizing people who go out there and commit hate crimes? Bro, just change the channel.
So you are advocating to watch Fox News? Because that’s what’s being argued against. Staying on Twitter is probably the worst thing people can do, if they have issues with the direction the site is taking.
People should leave to decrease the importance and impact Twitter has.

That’s the point with all the liberal tech, though: what about Boston Dynamics robots being retroengineered and cloned to be deployed on the battle ground? I mean: liberal conferences and journals, which any semi-competent hostile dud / gov can scrape through scholar.google.com or ArXiv, are the best source of ip theft, and still…

That’s the point with all the liberal tech, though: what about Boston Dynamics robots being retroengineered and cloned to be deployed on the battle ground? I mean: liberal conferences and journals, which any semi-competent hostile dud / gov can scrape through scholar.google.com or ArXiv, are the best source of ip theft, and still…

Wait, what?

Sorry but what's your point ?

So you are advocating to watch Fox News? Because that’s what’s being argued against. Staying on Twitter is probably the worst thing people can do, if they have issues with the direction the site is taking.
People should leave to decrease the importance and impact Twitter has.
If you want to understand how some people are radicalized and where some ideas are coming from, sure, you have to follow what's happening on fox news. Otherwise you'll be ignorant on a lot of things happening in politics.

People can not have a twitter account and not post, like I do, but it would be silly to complete ignore what's happening. We have to follow it to understand many things, and Musk, like or not, has a lot of influence.

I'm sorry, you lost me, can you clarify?

Posters are actually looking for clarity on your use of liberal, Bepi.

Are you using it in the laissez-faire sense or the woke-literati sense?

Posters are actually looking for clarity on your use of liberal, Bepi.

Are you using it in the laissez-faire sense or the woke-literati sense?

Uh!? Laissez faire, of course. I’m Italian, I work in the legal office of an EU-related agency. Our recent work is focused on the protocols needed for the eventual regulation-without-limitation of all these things… and Musk is our worst scenario come true.

I'm not sure how that relates to my point. Regardless of ownership or regulation, some things can't just be ignored, whether you like them or not. So suggesting to just leave twitter if you don't like musk is not practical.

I'm not sure how that relates to my point. Regardless of ownership or regulation, some things can't just be ignored, whether you like them or not. So suggesting to just leave twitter if you don't like musk is not practical.

Under Musk, it has morphed into a different thing, even dangerous (EDIT: for common citizens) if you like. The EU will come out with a guide asap to try and advise/counter (or: regulate) such distorted progressions (from their EU perspective).

If you want to understand how some people are radicalized and where some ideas are coming from, sure, you have to follow what's happening on fox news. Otherwise you'll be ignorant on a lot of things happening in politics.

People can not have a twitter account and not post, like I do, but it would be silly to complete ignore what's happening. We have to follow it to understand many things, and Musk, like or not, has a lot of influence.

But you don’t need to actually watch it yourself to know the impact it’s having. Many journalists and researchers discuss and try to quantify its impact far more accurately than you ever could by just watching it. Same applies to twitter.

Uh!? Laissez faire, of course. I’m Italian, I work in the legal office of an EU-related agency. Our recent work is focused on the protocols needed for the eventual regulation-without-limitation of all these things… and Musk is our worst scenario come true.

Cheers. Unfortunately that usage is in the minority these days hence everyone's reaction.

My impression is that the impact of Twitter across the globe has been overvalued over time instead of undervalued, and the latest valuations of the platform have been following that very same trend. It's 14th worldwide in the ranking of social networks with most active users and 406th in marketcap. Its current value is 5-10% of Meta for example. I understand that not all social networks work the same and market cap isn't everything, but let's not lose perspective here.

I left months ago about the same time Musk took charge, and now I'm a "second hand user" via the Caf. Most of the value it created for me had gone by then through lack of adequate moderation, and now the only thing I actively miss about the platform is its usefulness in making information available through emergencies (earthquakes, riots, natural disasters etc). Which is now of course also being run to the ground as a victim of the biggest midlife crisis ever.

My impression is that the impact of Twitter across the globe has been overvalued over time instead of undervalued, and the latest valuations of the platform have been following that very same trend. It's 14th worldwide in the ranking of social networks with most active users and 406th in marketcap. Its current value is 5-10% of Meta for example. I understand that not all social networks work the same and market cap isn't everything, but let's not lose perspective here.

I left months ago about the same time Musk took charge, and now I'm a "second hand user" via the Caf. Most of the value it created for me had gone by then through lack of adequate moderation, and now the only thing I actively miss about the platform is its usefulness in making information available through emergencies (earthquakes, riots, natural disasters etc). Which is now of course also being run to the ground as a victim of the biggest midlife crisis ever.
Well put. As someone who left around the same time, I don’t even miss it. Thought I would. But after the first days it became clear that it was much, much easier than I thought.

It has a lot of value when moderated properly. I don't think its owners have ever got the balance right in this regard. Dorsey notoriously struggled with it and Musk has gone in the polar opposite direction. The larger and more relevant a social network becomes in terms of becoming a global public square, the more moderation safeguards it requires.

As someone who never posts about politics on there I never see either any harmful rw content or any of the more lw stuff bar some occasional Musk nonsense or if I'm reading up on Ukraine elsewhere sometimes that will appear in my feed. Everything I see there is related to what I do there, whats shown to me has barely changed. Obviously its a small sample size of 1 person but I have no idea why the algo is fine for me and not what everyone else sees. I do think engagement on stuff I post is down because I won't pay the $8 or whatever it is in Ireland but its same old place to my eyes.

As someone who never posts about politics on there I never see either any harmful rw content or any of the more lw stuff bar some occasional Musk nonsense or if I'm reading up on Ukraine elsewhere sometimes that will appear in my feed. Everything I see there is related to what I do there, whats shown to me has barely changed. Obviously its a small sample size of 1 person but I have no idea why the algo is fine for me and not what everyone else sees. I do think engagement on stuff I post is down because I won't pay the $8 or whatever it is in Ireland but its same old place to my eyes.

I don't believe you. Either that or you're missing it or ignoring it.

Up until a week ago my Twitter was absolutely choc full of right wing loons. American right wing loons. Mainly because if I comment it's only to reply to American posters. Like in here, I focus a lot on US politics. I have always found the culture fascinating. I don't really post on UK politics because as a pub landlord I get that day in day out and also because there's little point tbh.

The last two weeks my Twitter feed has been inundated with far right lunatics from the UK. I've done nothing different and not clicked on or replied to anyone other than the usual accounts I reply to

Twitter has 100% changed and it is without question manipulating the vast majority of users feeds and promoting and favouring right wing and far right wing news and posters. From my experience, it's now using your location too to promote the most relevant stuff to your geographical area.

Twitter is dead now and it's only going to get much worse.

I don't believe you. Either that or you're missing it or ignoring it.

Up until a week ago my Twitter was absolutely choc full of right wing loons. American right wing loons. Mainly because if I comment it's only to reply to American posters. Like in here, I focus a lot on US politics. I have always found the culture fascinating. I don't really post on UK politics because as a pub landlord I get that day in day out and also because there's little point tbh.

The last two weeks my Twitter feed has been inundated with far right lunatics from the UK. I've done nothing different and not clicked on or replied to anyone other than the usual accounts I reply to

Twitter has 100% changed and it is without question manipulating the vast majority of users feeds and promoting and favouring right wing and far right wing news and posters. From my experience, it's now using your location too to promote the most relevant stuff to your geographical area.

Twitter is dead now and it's only going to get much worse.

Why would I lie? What do I have to gain? I don't like Elon but nothing has changed, my for you is literally table top rpgs, Unity stuff and ads plus a few friends posting bout football or video games, some other stuff about video games, weirdly a few ads about NFL too given I have no interest in that but likely because I read some MMA stuff on ESPN.

Sometimes I'll see some cnuts name under the little trending box on the right (Andrew Tate yesterday, sometimes Piers Morgan) but I just ignore it and never see whether people are praising or shitting on whomever it is, nor what they said to make themselves trend in the first place. Other than that there was initially a rise in bot followers (a huge one) but they eventually disappeared. Aside from Elon himself I see nothing political and I just click "not interested in this tweet" if something I don't like does show, for example lots of indie rpg dudes are proper pervs who post like lewd anime and shit, so I click not interested in tweet, unfollow whoever made the post and things are nice and tidy.

Everyone in the same circles I'm in says engagement is down if you don't pay up but thats the biggest complaint and why twitter is dying for me.

I'm scrolling through my for you feed right now and as usual its 90% indie game related, 9% sport and 1% people I follow talking about personal problems/mental health

Why would I lie? What do I have to gain? I don't like Elon but nothing has changed, my for you is literally table top rpgs, Unity stuff and ads plus a few friends posting bout football or video games, some other stuff about video games, weirdly a few ads about NFL too given I have no interest in that but likely because I read some MMA stuff on ESPN.

Sometimes I'll see some cnuts name under the little trending box on the right (Andrew Tate yesterday, sometimes Piers Morgan) but I just ignore it and never see whether people are praising or shitting on whomever it is, nor what they said to make themselves trend in the first place. Other than that there was initially a rise in bot followers (a huge one) but they eventually disappeared. Aside from Elon himself I see nothing political and I just click "not interested in this tweet" if something I don't like does show, for example lots of indie rpg dudes are proper pervs who post like lewd anime and shit, so I click not interested in tweet, unfollow whoever made the post and things are nice and tidy.

Everyone in the same circles I'm in says engagement is down if you don't pay up but thats the biggest complaint and why twitter is dying for me.

I'm scrolling through my for you feed right now and as usual its 90% indie game related, 9% sport and 1% people I follow talking about personal problems/mental health

I think a lot of people get confused by or ignore the “For You” and “Following” split. Plus it can be very tempting to dip back and forth to see what comes up.

I think a lot of people get confused by or ignore the “For You” and “Following” split. Plus it can be very tempting to dip back and forth to see what comes up.

Nah this is for you. I should add I'm super careful about what I engage with online/google etc... simply because when I used to watch a lot of Peterson etc... ,(Out of morbid curiosity) it started popping up on my kids devices as recommended on YouTube etc..

Last thing I wanted was my kids watching that nonsense. If I'm even googling something/someone remotely controversial these days I use incognito mode every time.

I think you working in the legal office of an EU related agency in charge of regulation is everyone's worst nightmare

I think you working in the legal office of an EU related agency in charge of regulation is everyone's worst nightmare

:lol: I live in Southern Italy and we are just a local branch of a regional agency providing reports from a local perspective. I went twice to Brussels, though.

Elon rocks, but Maher was a bit too deferential in that interview. Also where was Ian Bremmer on that panel tonight

It always surprises me that Musk has such a normal voice. If you ignore the actual words that come out of his mouth, he sounds very reasonable.

The 2 of them and the audience make me queasy.