Elon Musk | Owner of X and right wing man-child

I just can't see it happening, and I don't think there is currently any way to do it right, not in our lifetime anyway. With no magnetosphere exposure to CMB and solar radiation means existence will be underground and inside heavily shielded buildings. The lower gravity will never allow a breathable atmosphere or the ability to hold on to oxygen. What water there is will be a finite resource and when it evaporates it is lost to space. There needs to he massive steps forward in technology and a change in understanding on what colonising Mars might actually look like. Has Musk ever commented on what the reality would look like?

Exactly this, it's absolutely baffling and so disingenuous. Terraforming Mars for human habitation on the surface is essentially impossible and there are far better candidates in the solar system for the job.

What I mean is, if starship works then it'll enable a ton of LEO infrastructure to be economic, which could open up space properly. Whether starship gets used for mars or not, doesn't really matter if all that other stuff happens.

Personally I'd love to see a mars base. I've read the books. But I think a self sustaining colony is a fantasy with out a vast amount of bootstrapping. And even if you could, what's the point. Mars is a dead planet, it's a frozen irradiated desert. It would be a hellhole. For sure, put a research base there and let scientists poke around and learn stuff. But
people don't want to live in Antarctica for a reason, and that's 100x easier to survive than mars.

More like infinitely more easier to survive than Mars, like NotworkSte said Mars just will never be able to retain a thick, breathable atmosphere. Especially considering you are never going to re-ingite the core to create a magnetosphere to prevent solar winds stripping the atmosphere (again). It requires the invention of technologies that we haven't even perceived yet so it's really just a total non-starter outside of a base a-la The Martian.

The technology exists now to start the process of terraforming Venus, if that were a popular goal.

I may be entirely off base here as I have no scientific background or expertise whatsoever, but it's always seemed to me that the scientific challenge of making human life on earth sustainable must be easier than trying to terraform a dead planet. I've heard plenty of reasonable skepticism re: renewable energy sources and I buy that it's a massive challenge. It just doesn't seem as massive a challenge as flying everyone to Mars and growing a garden there.

I may be entirely off base here as I have no scientific background or expertise whatsoever, but it's always seemed to me that the scientific challenge of making human life on earth sustainable must be easier than trying to terraform a dead planet. I've heard plenty of reasonable skepticism re: renewable energy sources and I buy that it's a massive challenge. It just doesn't seem as massive a challenge as flying everyone to Mars and growing a garden there.

It's massively easier, because literally all we have to do on this planet is stop being dickheads. We don't even have to go direct to renewable energies, nuclear is the greenest and cleanest form of energy going and could solve our issues on a temporary basis until renewable and potentially fusion a viable for mass use.

It's massively easier, because literally all we have to do on this planet is stop being dickheads. We don't even have to go direct to renewable energies, nuclear is the greenest and cleanest form of energy going and could solve our issues on a temporary basis until renewable and potentially fusion a viable for mass use.
Well that sure seems like a massive obstacle.

Never mind - colonizing Mars seems viable now.

Ocasio is not going to sh*g him with this booooring Twitter facade, he really needs to go to Mars in person. :wenger:

Especially considering you are never going to re-ingite the core to create a magnetosphere to prevent solar winds stripping the atmosphere (again).

I watched a docu-drama called The Core from circa 2003 about how to re-start Earth's core if it ever shut down. I'm sure we could adapt the technology. Just need to get hold of some "unobtainium" to get started.

His buying of twitter will end up being viewed as beneficial for the world at some point in the future. Twitter really is an amazing platform, and its ability to reach and connect people of nearly all Earth's cultures is valuable to all of us.

People don't like what he's doing right now, but truth is it is wrong to have tech kids muzzling important people in society. And when said muzzling is done only in conjunction with one party in the US it is wrong. Wrong is wrong.

Going forward what really matters is Twitter remaining a free speech platform. Because over time politics will shift and hopefully we will see less polarizing of extreme opinions on everything and it will prove invaluable providing free speech to all who use it. In order to solve problems we must discuss them, not make them taboo like we are modern day Quakers and silence the opposing opinion. Discussion of our toughest challenges and our leaders actually getting together and solving these problems instead of blaming each other and polarizing against the other side is the way forward. If we are going to survive as a people.

Wtf did I just read?

His buying of twitter will end up being viewed as beneficial for the world at some point in the future. Twitter really is an amazing platform, and its ability to reach and connect people of nearly all Earth's cultures is valuable to all of us.

People don't like what he's doing right now, but truth is it is wrong to have tech kids muzzling important people in society. And when said muzzling is done only in conjunction with one party in the US it is wrong. Wrong is wrong.

Going forward what really matters is Twitter remaining a free speech platform. Because over time politics will shift and hopefully we will see less polarizing of extreme opinions on everything and it will prove invaluable providing free speech to all who use it. In order to solve problems we must discuss them, not make them taboo like we are modern day Quakers and silence the opposing opinion. Discussion of our toughest challenges and our leaders actually getting together and solving these problems instead of blaming each other and polarizing against the other side is the way forward. If we are going to survive as a people.

There are a lot of good intention. Connecting people in a global townsquare is great. Relying on tech companies to moderate content may not be such a great idea. Having people with diverse views coming together to discuss issues and solving problems is great. I wish that too.

But there is not what is happening at twitter right? And Musk is not doing that for some altruistic reasons. Moderating hate speech is not muzzling free speech. Not unlike this very forum that you post in? Try insulting someone and you get a warning but you are free to offer whatever opinion you want as long it is not fake news or harmful. It just commonsense right?

Free speech is not an excuse to propagate falsehood. Rather than engagement, too much disinformation results in disengagement which is what is happening now. Can I interest you in the hypernormalization thread in the forum?

How do you feel about Elon deleting accounts of those that share the video of him being booed?

Do you think people are free to just flagrantly say dangerous and obviously scientifically wrong things without any pushback or protection for the reader?

CPWTIA-2-e1648033540933.jpg

He's so meta

Humans will never live on Mars in large numbers. Anyone who thinks so, have seen too many sci-fi movies, and people that advocate for spending resources towards that goal rather than ensuring the habitability of Earth are plain stupid.

No clue. I'm shocked at the absurdity of being able to play video games on an in-dash video screen.

What else would you do while your Tesla careers down the highway at 100mph, mowing down all in its path using autopilot?

I do my very best to ignore everything to do with him etc but he has the most divorced Dad 'and she's taken the kids' energy I've ever seen.

Said for years now and will say it again for those in the back:

He is incredibly thick.

This is enjoyable for someone who has been screaming into the abyss for a long time.

I don't like that tweet because I'd disagree its "beautiful" to see a lot of normal investors I know lose money, but the rest of it is accurate and something I myself have called out on stock forums since 2017.

A stock that's pushed because of a cult personality is one you do NOT want to mess with. It's overvalued to the moon. It's called a meme stock for a reason.

Good post! I hope he succeeds. But, his problem is that he wants to make Twitter a free speech platform but he also needs to make it a profitable business for it to be around long term.

Discussion of our toughest challenges and our leaders actually getting together and solving these problems instead of blaming each other and polarizing against the other side is the way forward.

I have to give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you haven't seen any of the stuff Musk has been doing or saying since buying Twitter.

Your mistake is equating Twitter to society. It isn't. Society is outside, and people who are denied access to a private service for disregarding their rules are free to go say whatever they want in society.

Last edited: