Gaming Elden Ring - Fromsoftware

I usually dual-wield but I'm gonna have to go with a shield here, and I'm so rusty at parrying too, for feck sake.
I dont think you need to parry. A lot of the annoying stuff does very little stamina damage on block. My character has quite high endurance for light rolling but no poise. Not even using especially good shields, its a dex build so cant equip most of them.

I usually dual-wield but I'm gonna have to go with a shield here, and I'm so rusty at parrying too, for feck sake.
Yeah I never go strength/heavy builds but I really feel like they pushed us to it this DLC. So effective

So I was messing around with trying to make the most tanky build I could vs Messmer, and decided to try out the Winged Crystal Tear. Ive never used it before, since ive never tried a build where weight mattered. But I tried it out and holy shit that thing is funny. I had the Sunflower Shaded Blossom collossal weapon, Fingerpint Shield and a combination of Fire Prelates set & Bullgoats Set. So pretty much the heaviest of everything. I was overloaded and couldn't roll at all, then drank the flask and now I was light rolling! It was ridiculous, carrying all that heavy as feck stuff but still leaping about like i'm naked. How did I never find this before? Would have made a huge difference all those years ago vs Melania.

My mimic tear is too strong for this dlc I think. I feel like this guy could solo these bosses with me just hanging back. Need to stop using him

My mimic tear is too strong for this dlc I think. I feel like this guy could solo these bosses with me just hanging back. Need to stop using him

Yeah it's because of those spirit fragment things, when I played through the DLC he did more damage than I did :lol:

Beat the final boss with a parry build!

Not a perfect fight by any means and this was probably attempt 100 but I got a good strategy figured out eventually. There's one attack thats particularly easy to parry and most other stuff you can block/roll your way out of.

It's true, to an extent, but for the DLC. Those delayed hits aren't good game design, it's just cheating.

I feel like the base game gets away with it. You have a lot of really strong options compared to dark souls or even sekiro. You survive the 20 hit melania combo and she goes back to being relatively manageable, while you're still a god throwing moons around. DLC just ramps the bosses up further and it feel likes melania repeating waterfowl dance all day. Anything that takes more than half a second to wind up cant really be used in most cases, you'll be interrupted and wont get it off. Which removes most non dark souls stuff from your arsenal.
Your just sitting behind a shield blocking bosses with infinite range, infinite mobility, infinite stamina for attacks, magic damage on most attacks, aoe damage, delayed hits from dual wielding where you can dodge the first hit but second will hit. You poke them with a dagger occasionally.
Its probably a bad use of the term but it feels like they jumped the shark pretty early in the dlc and most bosses are just annoying.

I feel like the base game gets away with it. You have a lot of really strong options compared to dark souls or even sekiro. You survive the 20 hit melania combo and she goes back to being relatively manageable, while you're still a god throwing moons around. DLC just ramps the bosses up further and it feel likes melania repeating waterfowl dance all day. Anything that takes more than half a second to wind up cant really be used in most cases, you'll be interrupted and wont get it off. Which removes most non dark souls stuff from your arsenal.
Your just sitting behind a shield blocking bosses with infinite range, infinite mobility, infinite stamina for attacks, magic damage on most attacks, aoe damage, delayed hits from dual wielding where you can dodge the first hit but second will hit. You poke them with a dagger occasionally.
Its probably a bad use of the term but it feels like they jumped the shark pretty early in the dlc and most bosses are just annoying.
I'm not so sure. People always flip out when new From content is released. People were literally saying the same things about roll catching and input reading for Fume Knight. I find it best to wait til everything settles and the community cracks the game open and then decide. Everyone said the base game was too difficult when it came out ("Maliketh has zero openings"), but that got re-evaluated pretty heavily and now its generally seen as the most beginner friendly game in the series. Not just because of spirit ashes, but because of how incredibly powerful some of the builds can be.

I'm not so sure. People always flip out when new From content is released. People were literally saying the same things about roll catching and input reading for Fume Knight. I find it best to wait til everything settles and the community cracks the game open and then decide. Everyone said the base game was too difficult when it came out ("Maliketh has zero openings"), but that got re-evaluated pretty heavily and now its generally seen as the most beginner friendly game in the series. Not just because of spirit ashes, but because of how incredibly powerful some of the builds can be.

I still think DS3 had easier late game/dlc bosses. I never really felt i needed a different build in general to take those bosses on. I think though Elden Ring has tons of bosses and there is the late game/dlc difficulty spike, but unlike the bosses from ds3 and bloodborne i just don't find them as enjoyable. I think consort Radahn is one the least fun bossfight in series, while i loved learning Orphan of Koz moveset, lady maria and 80% of the ds3 dlc bosses. I always feel to the more i have to look a guide for a boss or a build to respec i get bored because the process is tedious.

Even ive beaten consort Radahn 3 times, im mostly just going to skip him on further playthroughs because I don't think its worth it and i did a few times anyway.

I still think DS3 had easier late game/dlc bosses. I never really felt i needed a different build in general to take those bosses on. I think though Elden Ring has tons of bosses and there is the late game/dlc difficulty spike, but unlike the bosses from ds3 and bloodborne i just don't find them as enjoyable. I think consort Radahn is one the least fun bossfight in series, while i loved learning Orphan of Koz moveset, lady maria and 80% of the ds3 dlc bosses. I always feel to the more i have to look a guide for a boss or a build to respec i get bored because the process is tedious.

Even ive beaten consort Radahn 3 times, im mostly just going to skip him on further playthroughs because I don't think its worth it and i did a few times anyway.

There's a distinction here between not enjoying changing up your character on a per boss basis, and not being able to do so at all. If you don't enjoy that, then obviously that's up to each player. I think that is part of what Elden Ring wants you to do, in order to make the most of its vast catalogue of items. Not everyone likes trawling through a wiki looking for the optimal talisman or standing at a boss wall for 2 minutes buffing before going in, sure. But that's not the same thing as enforced difficulty, because it is open to you to do that.

I actually think some of the late game Elden Ring bosses were far worse designed than the DLC bosses thus far. To me it seems like the DLC bosses are a better designed version of Maliketh, Malenia etc who attacked way too quickly for the mechanics of ER to keep up with.

In the DLC I haven't found any one move nearly as annoying as Waterfowl Dance, and most bosses seem to have some significant elemental weaknesses that make things more manageable. I summoned Mimic Tear for a good chunk of the Elden Ring endgame bosses and haven't needed to rely on him once in the DLC.

That being said, I still miss the older souls games with their slower and more deliberate combat.

I think the dlc really adds replay value to Elden Ring, but I think the mechanic with scadutree fragments is a grind when you start a new character. When you already have to collect golden seeds and tears, collecting scadutree fragments and sacred ashes is a real grind especially since many of them are hidden. Its tedious the 2nd time around.

I think the dlc really adds replay value to Elden Ring, but I think the mechanic with scadutree fragments is a grind when you start a new character. When you already have to collect golden seeds and tears, collecting scadutree fragments and sacred ashes is a real grind especially since many of them are hidden. Its tedious the 2nd time around.

Yeah I think the mechanic falls flat. I understand the principle, they wanted a way of having independent levelling in the DLC so high level characters could have some build development over its course. But then they put all the content up to end game difficulty anyway, so what was the point?

The only plus side is that they softcapped the blessing level at 12 in a post launch patch, so for everyone short of Radahn, you probably only need to collect 26 fragments. Though this sort of makes Radahn feel even more of a chore, since there's 24 more to get just to eek out a little more damage.

Personally I think they should have just had 10 fragments, and put them behind the 10 Remembrance/major bosses you fight before Radhan (including Bayle). Given the openness of the game, this would have added a nice dynamic about which order to fight the bosses.

Or at the very least they should have made it like Golden Seeds, where there's far more then you need to reach max level. That way you don't need to go to every little out of the way place to hit max level.

Yeah I think the mechanic falls flat. I understand the principle, they wanted a way of having independent levelling in the DLC so high level characters could have some build development over its course. But then they put all the content up to end game difficulty anyway, so what was the point?

The only plus side is that they softcapped the blessing level at 12 in a post launch patch, so for everyone short of Radahn, you probably only need to collect 26 fragments. Though this sort of makes Radahn feel even more of a chore, since there's 24 more to get just to eek out a little more damage.

Personally I think they should have just had 10 fragments, and put them behind the 10 Remembrance/major bosses you fight before Radhan (including Bayle). Given the openness of the game, this would have added a nice dynamic about which order to fight the bosses.

Or at the very least they should have made it like Golden Seeds, where there's far more then you need to reach max level. That way you don't need to go to every little out of the way place to hit max level.
Totally agree. I forgot mentioning collecting ghost/grave clovewort for spirit summoning too. Ng+ starts to get boring when you are no longer getting stronger, but with a new character there is so much trekking to do get properly going.

I started a new character for the DLC and I'm making pretty good progress but my god I forgot how tedious this game can be with the amount of collectables, particularly upgrade materials. I'm already sick of caves and catacombs.

I started a new character for the DLC and I'm making pretty good progress but my god I forgot how tedious this game can be with the amount of collectables, particularly upgrade materials. I'm already sick of caves and catacombs.

I would just aim for all the bell bearings tbh instead of scavenging. A lot can be gotten early on if I’m not mistaken.

I would just aim for all the bell bearings tbh instead of scavenging. A lot can be gotten early on if I’m not mistaken.
Weeelll - right now I'm rocking a Winged Scythe +6 which requires Somber Stones. The relevant bell bearing - the one that unlocks +7 - is in Crumbling Farum Azula and I'm not even on Altus Plateau yet.

I actually think some of the late game Elden Ring bosses were far worse designed than the DLC bosses thus far. To me it seems like the DLC bosses are a better designed version of Maliketh, Malenia etc who attacked way too quickly for the mechanics of ER to keep up with.

In the DLC I haven't found any one move nearly as annoying as Waterfowl Dance, and most bosses seem to have some significant elemental weaknesses that make things more manageable. I summoned Mimic Tear for a good chunk of the Elden Ring endgame bosses and haven't needed to rely on him once in the DLC.

That being said, I still miss the older souls games with their slower and more deliberate combat.

The last boss literally teleports. That guy uses instant transmission from Dragonball Z. Feck him. I would take Maliketh and Malenia over him any day even though you're 100% right about late base game. I'm not sure if I think the DLC bosses were better designed, maybe its a question of git gud but I thought Gaius, Romina and Putrescent Knight were bullshit.

I feel that last part. I downloaded DS3 again just a couple of hours ago.

Unfortunately they're always sort of behind the curve vs what you can find knocking around in dungeons, so you need to hunt them down manually. The last 3 are in Farum Azula for example. One of them is a reward for kill Godskin Duo.

That said, if you know where you're going its easy to get a sombre weapon up the max level. But only one. After that its back to trawling through caves and shit.

I meant for the smithing stones in the catacombs etc. mainly, you sick bastard
The merchants are all frenzied flame fanatics and therefore deserve to die.

I just spent half an hour exploring the Finger Ruins of Rhia and there is sweet feck all there.

The merchants are all frenzied flame fanatics and therefore deserve to die.

I just spent half an hour exploring the Finger Ruins of Rhia and there is sweet feck all there.

Some big areas are really empty. Like abyssal woods, finger ruins, cerulean coast and dragon's peak.

Shadow keep is really the pinnacle of the dlc. Ruins of Rauh suck.

I've definitely hit a lull in the dlc, every area I go through is boring and has the same sort of mini-dungeon. To be honest outside of the legacy dungeons in it I've found it a bit meh. Maybe I'm burnt out after 150 hours of Elden Ring.

I've definitely hit a lull in the dlc, every area I go through is boring and has the same sort of mini-dungeon. To be honest outside of the legacy dungeons in it I've found it a bit meh. Maybe I'm burnt out after 150 hours of Elden Ring.

No you're correct. The shadow realm is underwhelming in general. Essentially the 3 best dungeons are shadow keep, castle ensis and enir lilim. Everything else is just quite average.

Finished it last night. Last boss is still really annoying but if you sit directly in front of him he isn't completely impossible. Bleeds worked well against him.
Agree with the above about a lot of the map being too bare. I liked the new weapons i guess, a lot of cool stuff there.

What's the best greatshield against consort Radahn preferably one without a weapon art so i can spam the weapon art of my actual weapon when there's an opening. I beat him today with my 2nd dlc character using the Verdigris and the blood sword spear but i couldn't using the weapon art of my sword spear which procs bleed very quickly. Just for further playthroughs to have a good cheese. Even though you don't have to fight him, not deafeating him before going to ng+ feels wrong.

What's the best greatshield against consort Radahn preferably one without a weapon art so i can spam the weapon art of my actual weapon when there's an opening. I beat him today with my 2nd dlc character using the Verdigris and the blood sword spear but i couldn't using the weapon art of my sword spear which procs bleed very quickly. Just for further playthroughs to have a good cheese. Even though you don't have to fight him, not deafeating him before going to ng+ feels wrong.
The 2 best id say is brass shield for a non great shield and the golden great shield for greatshields. Fingerprint greatshield is the best but is heavier. And then add in the Greatshield Talisman that boosts your guard boost and you'll block no problem.

I beat the end boss last week. A certain incantation worked wonders (I won't say which one on here, PM me if you want me to tell you).

Overall I was thoroughly impressed by this incredible DLC. Some bosses had me laughing, some had me absolutely raging. The absolute peak of Elden Ring for me is when you reach a brand new area, and you cautiously step forward with no idea what is around the corner. No feeling like it.

One thing I would absolutely love is if there was a Boss Arena feature (like the Monster Arena in FFX), where you can fight any boss that you've previously beaten just for fun, once you've completed the game. I want to fight some of the old bosses again without having to play through the game again. Last thing I did was go and beat Malenia again and really enjoyed just casually trying different things out against her. I eventually beat her with the aforementioned incantation.

I beat the end boss last week. A certain incantation worked wonders (I won't say which one on here, PM me if you want me to tell you).

Overall I was thoroughly impressed by this incredible DLC. Some bosses had me laughing, some had me absolutely raging. The absolute peak of Elden Ring for me is when you reach a brand new area, and you cautiously step forward with no idea what is around the corner. No feeling like it.

One thing I would absolutely love is if there was a Boss Arena feature (like the Monster Arena in FFX), where you can fight any boss that you've previously beaten just for fun, once you've completed the game. I want to fight some of the old bosses again without having to play through the game again. Last thing I did was go and beat Malenia again and really enjoyed just casually trying different things out against her. I eventually beat her with the aforementioned incantation.

Why not just say what the incantation is?

Can someone recommend me a fun but strong build ideally upadated after the dlc. Im not talking about lightning petfume bottle build(since that got nerfed) and tge impenetrable thorns build. Ive beaten the game a few times with my blood sword spear build that destroys any boss that's not immune to bleed but im bored with that know and can't afford bew games atm.

Can someone suggest a really cool fatih build, dlc updated, I though about trying to create my own Messmer.

I'm not sure i do builds.
Even if im going strength, faith i usually have a spread of stats that let me equip most things. I'll level up something big and chunky like a super greatsword or a great spear and something fast like daggers or scimitars. I dont respec often, i just make another character. I dont love FROM games in NG+2 and beyond. Dont think i've tried this though.

Can someone recommend me a fun but strong build ideally upadated after the dlc. Im not talking about lightning petfume bottle build(since that got nerfed) and tge impenetrable thorns build. Ive beaten the game a few times with my blood sword spear build that destroys any boss that's not immune to bleed but im bored with that know and can't afford bew games atm.

Can someone suggest a really cool fatih build, dlc updated, I though about trying to create my own Messmer.
Was having fun with basically making that solitude knight build with a Greatshield and still having medium roll. Extremely OP though.

Blasphemous blade is forever going to be the most OP weapon in the game and is faith focused.

Currently I'm trying to get good at using dryleaf arts (cold infusion) but while still using that solitude armor set, with backhand blades (again cold infused) as the backup. Difficult but very fun. Absolutely batters the masses, but against certain big enemies and bosses it's tough, have to move very quickly. I think I just struggle without a Greatshield in the dlc to be able to trade blows.

I've been using twin colossal weapons, the Anvil Hammer and Devonia's Hammer, while wearing the Crucible Set or Bull Goats Set. I'm using it alongside the Winged Crystal Tear and the Windy Crystal Tear.

I'm wearing almost the heaviest weapons and armour in the game and with a faith build you can stack Howl of Shabiri, Golden Vow and Flame Grant Me on top for ludicrous damage. But once I drink the physick I'm light rolling, with 5 more iframes than normal, so I can dodge everything and stay really close to bosses that move around. So you have the damage of a bonk build with the mobility of a dagger build.

You only get 2 minutes til your tears run out, so that's your limit. But so far nothing lasts that long. Bayle took less than a minute of jumping attacks. Its a shame I didnt discover this set up back in the base game.

Outside of boss battles I just use one of the hammers or the Sunflower colossal weapon. Very amusing build.