Gaming Elden Ring - Fromsoftware

Fog Rift Catacombs is probably my favourite catacombs/dungeon of the entirety of the game so far (I’m including base game). I really liked the mechanism they put in one of the ceiling traps which takes you up to a secret area. That was like something out of an old id or Valve FPS game where level design was amazing and you were rewarded for curiosity (Doom, Quake, Half-Life, Portal).

Urgh! just met (Tony Le) Messmer-What an annoying boss! The fat fire prelate armor and the Visage shield are coming in handy, i just can't land many attacks.

So yeh, rivers of blood still a cheat code as @Redlambs said. Beat Messmer on my 5th try, I could see how he could be a nightmare those attacks are insane but I didn’t even need to learn the attack pattern. Luckily there’s a window at the start of the second phase where if you dodge his attack you can land which melts his health bar, because the rest of that phase is a nightmare otherwise.

Still, I don’t feel guilty, I could do without the stress so I’ll probably just experiment with other weapons on a NG+ run.

That fecking Hippo was a cnut though.

So yeh, rivers of blood still a cheat code as @Redlambs said. Beat Messmer on my 5th try, I could see how he could be a nightmare those attacks are insane but I didn’t even need to learn the attack pattern. Luckily there’s a window at the start of the second phase where if you dodge his attack you can land which melts his health bar, because the rest of that phase is a nightmare otherwise.

Still, I don’t feel guilty, I could do without the stress so I’ll probably just experiment with other weapons on a NG+ run.

That fecking Hippo was a cnut though.

I thought about respeccing back to Rivers of blood but since respeccing is finite in a playthrough and that weapon does closr to 50% fire damsge i opted against since he's immune to that. Stupid choice.

Am I allowed to rant a little? I've beat the DLC this morning, but my god the final boss 2nd phase is straight up dogshit. It's probably my only issue with ER in general. I prefer the DS3, BB bosses where they are tough but still feel fair. Bosses where I can enjoy the moment, the music, the fight and the rhythm and have more chances to deal damage rather than the extremely rare attack window that you get every 30 seconds (doesn't help that I refused summons or mimic tear, but I dislike that in a first playtrough of a game/dlc). Felt the same way about Malenia back when it released where it doesn't feel entirely fair. I love almost everything about ER except a good portion of bosses + copy pasting major bosses in caves and catacombs. Still a wonderful DLC though. I wouldn't put it above Bloodborne DLC but it's a close 2nd for me.

Am I allowed to rant a little? I've beat the DLC this morning, but my god the final boss 2nd phase is straight up dogshit. It's probably my only issue with ER in general. I prefer the DS3, BB bosses where they are tough but still feel fair. Bosses where I can enjoy the moment, the music, the fight and the rhythm and have more chances to deal damage rather than the extremely rare attack window that you get every 30 seconds (doesn't help that I refused summons or mimic tear, but I dislike that in a first playtrough of a game/dlc). Felt the same way about Malenia back when it released where it doesn't feel entirely fair. I love almost everything about ER except a good portion of bosses + copy pasting major bosses in caves and catacombs. Still a wonderful DLC though. I wouldn't put it above Bloodborne DLC but it's a close 2nd for me.

Same here. Fair is the key word.

I thought about respeccing back to Rivers of blood but since respeccing is finite in a playthrough and that weapon does closr to 50% fire damsge i opted against since he's immune to that. Stupid choice.

Rivers of Blood get nerfed into oblivion a while back, its not a great weapon anymore (see this vid from Rusty with the numbers in it). The main advantage of corpse piler is simply that it hits at middle distances, which means you can often hit bosses while they're still walking towards you. But plenty of other ashes of war give you that, and the actual bleed build up and damage is pretty weak unless an enemy is weak to fire. Plus it can't be buffed.

I don't think you can moan about a boss when you refuse to use some of the mechanics the game gives you. Bosses are designed for the use of spirit ashes or whatever they are called, so not using them means you are intentionally making the game harder for yourself.

I agree some of the bosses are straight up bullshit (in the base game, not got the dlc yet), and as soon as I realised this I just summoned mimic tear and fecked them up. From games for me have never been about it being super difficult, in fact it's one of the least important parts to me. I like the exploration, atmosphere, lore and the general combat mechanics far more than how hard bosses are.

But in general I would say elden ring bosses were a bit of a mess. I think they got caught between people using spirit ashes and people going in solo as some of them feel ridiculous solo and very, very easy for a strong spirit ash (like mimic tear).

I don't think you can moan about a boss when you refuse to use some of the mechanics the game gives you. Bosses are designed for the use of spirit ashes or whatever they are called, so not using them means you are intentionally making the game harder for yourself.

I agree some of the bosses are straight up bullshit (in the base game, not got the dlc yet), and as soon as I realised this I just summoned mimic tear and fecked them up. From games for me have never been about it being super difficult, in fact it's one of the least important parts to me. I like the exploration, atmosphere, lore and the general combat mechanics far more than how hard bosses are.

But in general I would say elden ring bosses were a bit of a mess. I think they got caught between people using spirit ashes and people going in solo as some of them feel ridiculous solo and very, very easy for a strong spirit ash (like mimic tear).

Don't get me wrong, I absolutely do it in other PT's, it's almost a necessity. It sometimes feels like "I need to do as much damage as possible before I get two-shotted" and it kinda takes away from the experience of the boss itself. I can't remember a single OST of any boss fight in ER. And that's a shame because you can inject the lore about all these bosses straight into my veins. They all have incredibly dope designs as well and I want to love them, but half of the time I just can't.

I agree when it comes to exploration etc. I love that about this game as well but it makes it impossible to balance bosses the way we're "used to it". To me the bosses are the selling point of these games though and they started off really good in the base game with Margit/Morgott and Godrick but that's also because it was quite a linear path. I don't think they're designed around summons/spirit ashes but designed around the fact that people who take different exploration paths can have a "good" challenge too.

Don't get me wrong, I absolutely do it in other PT's, it's almost a necessity. It sometimes feels like "I need to do as much damage as possible before I get two-shotted" and it kinda takes away from the experience of the boss itself. I can't remember a single OST of any boss fight in ER. And that's a shame because you can inject the lore about all these bosses straight into my veins. They all have incredibly dope designs as well and I want to love them, but half of the time I just can't.

I agree when it comes to exploration etc. I love that about this game as well but it makes it impossible to balance bosses the way we're "used to it". To me the bosses are the selling point of these games though and they started off really good in the base game with Margit/Morgott and Godrick but that's also because it was quite a linear path. I don't think they're designed around summons/spirit ashes but designed around the fact that people who take different exploration paths can have a "good" challenge too.

Yeah you may be right. Either way I think they didn't do a very good balancing bosses at times (especially towards the end) which is a shame.

Not that I'm against your overall point, people can and should play how they enjoy, but this is wrong. They are not designed for their use, they are there to add an extra layer of help and I guess character build/fun to a degree. But there's no bosses that a specific Ash has any cool play to, or built in mechanic that has anything to do with them/summons.

Take Sekiro for example, and the prosthetics. Those were there and bosses were designed around some of them as an "easy" mode of sorts, or cool gimmick. Which is why they are far more balanced either way.

As I've said in here before, the soulsbourne games didn't have bullshit like input reading and animation cancels. Aimbot to a degree, but still within confines of the character.

Elden Ring also had to have last minute "balance" changes in terms of some major bosses, which were never that well thought out too.[/quote]

Last edited:
Rellana is nuts :lol: I really want to beat her without a summon but her moveset is crazy.
You'll get there eventually but yeah, she really sucks with her bullshit long range attacks that stretch across the whole arena. I'm not doing any summons this playthrough (except for one dragon fight where it looks designed for that in terms of story) but i have used scarlet rot on a few bosses, she was one of them.

Ok i have no chance against consort Radahn as a sorcerer. Whats the optimal build against him. He's weak to frost but i have no space to get spells off anyway. Havnt tried summons apart from mimic tear more than once since it doubles his absolutely massive health bar anyway.

Ok i have no chance against consort Radahn as a sorcerer. Whats the optimal build against him. He's weak to frost but i have no space to get spells off anyway. Havnt tried summons apart from mimic tear more than once since it doubles his absolutely massive health bar anyway.

I used scarlet rot because I thought it was fun thematically, but my buddy who is on NG+6 sent me the stupidest build. If you search "Lightning Perfume Bottle build" you'll see a guy who kills him in 3 hits, it's absolutely nuts.

As I've said in here before, the soulsbourne games didn't have bullshit like input reading and animation cancels. Aimbot to a degree, but still within confines of the character.

Elden Ring also had to have last minute "balance" changes in terms of some major bosses, which were never that well thought out too.

The hyper armor is insane. Theres a guy in one of the DLC mausoleums who I clearly hit 3 times and it didn't even register.

I used scarlet rot because I thought it was fun thematically, but my buddy who is on NG+6 sent me the stupidest build. If you search "Lightning Perfume Bottle build" you'll see a guy who kills him in 3 hits, it's absolutely nuts.

This?

Just need the all the details on this. Weapon, stats, talismans, buffs etc.

You'll get there eventually but yeah, she really sucks with her bullshit long range attacks that stretch across the whole arena. I'm not doing any summons this playthrough (except for one dragon fight where it looks designed for that in terms of story) but i have used scarlet rot on a few bosses, she was one of them.

The summon at the dragon fight is a must. That guy is fecking hilarious. Probably my favorite NPC in the whole game.

The hyper armor is insane. Theres a guy in one of the DLC mausoleums who I clearly hit 3 times and it didn't even register.

To be honest, a lot of what people think is hyper armour is just the shit engine lagging on the hit boxes.

The thing is, as much as I want them to get a new engine and go modern, I also think I'll regret it when they do. A lot of the charm of From's games comes from the awfulness of the technical side :lol:

To be honest, a lot of what people think is hyper armour is just the shit engine lagging on the hit boxes.

The thing is, as much as I want them to get a new engine and go modern, I also think I'll regret it when they do. A lot of the charm of From's games comes from the awfulness of the technical side :lol:

Could be. I was also using one of those new spells, those thorn thingies that raise up from the ground, maybe it's a little bugged. I agree this engine is great. Even when this game released I got this feeling of nostalgia. I hope they never change it but they probably will at some point :( but in terms of going modern, they better give us fhat 60FPS Bloodborne. We have waited long enough:mad:

Could be. I was also using one of those new spells, those thorn thingies that raise up from the ground, maybe it's a little bugged. I agree this engine is great. Even when this game released I got this feeling of nostalgia. I hope they never change it but they probably will at some point :( but in terms of going modern, they better give us fhat 60FPS Bloodborne. We have waited long enough:mad:

Remastered/60fps bloodborne not happening by now is precisely because of this engine. It will happen at some point, but it needs a remake and that costs much more money than a "remaster".

From giveth...From taketh away.

The summon at the dragon fight is a must. That guy is fecking hilarious. Probably my favorite NPC in the whole game.
I'm glad someone else thinks so because it just feels like a canon event or the right thing to do, kind of like the Redahn fight in the base game where you could summon a million helpers and it felt like it was designed for that to happen.

Remastered/60fps bloodborne not happening by now is precisely because of this engine. It will happen at some point, but it needs a remake and that costs much more money than a "remaster".

From giveth...From taketh away.

They should give to those who made the demon souls remake.

I'm glad someone else thinks so because it just feels like a canon event or the right thing to do, kind of like the Redahn fight in the base game where you could summon a million helpers and it felt like it was designed for that to happen.

I always summon the gold ones for fights at first, in all souls games.

It's so shitty that you can miss out on quests if you don't, but it also makes gamer bros like me humbled when we have to get help just in case. From are trolling so hard there :lol:

They should give to those who made the demon souls remake.

It has to be a full remake though, that's the issue. Demon Souls was done so well and had the funds as a launch title, but that was in the new machine launch development cost. Believe it or not, no matter how many of us want it to happen, a full remake of BB is going to be beyond that because the original product cost so much in the first place.

It will happen at some point, it has to. But it's going to cost so much money that they have to ensure it's worthwhile.

Of course, the alternative is to get the modders to do it and pay them, but that's never going to happen :lol:

So that second messmer stage is...something.

I have no idea what is happening, but it doesn't seem to result in me surviving. Having auto-lock on will basically give you whiplash.

So that second messmer stage is...something.

I have no idea what is happening, but it doesn't seem to result in me surviving. Having auto-lock on will basically give you whiplash.
I can't even get him down to half of his health bar yet. Just seems so few opportunities to attack and being a very heavy build I'm not quick enough to get in a few stabs and get out.

Let me know how it goes!

I farmed the items for the build yesterday evening. Beat final boss after several tries this morning. It holds up. It was still hard for me imo because he hits like a truck and doesnt leave a lot of room to cast the weapon skill and the build is very squishy. Still its OP.

I farmed the items for the build yesterday evening. Beat final boss after several tries this morning. It holds up. It was still hard for me imo because he hits like a truck and doesnt leave a lot of room to cast the weapon skill and the build is very squishy. Still its OP.

Congrats mate! Now you get to cosplay as a Roman Legatus with the remembrance rewards :drool: I'm going to try it out on Elden Beast, he deserves it after making me suffer 2 years ago when big bonk weapons where still doing puny damage compared to katanas.

Love the Rakshasa armor set effects by the way. I wished more armor pieces had unique effects.

Congrats mate! Now you get to cosplay as a Roman Legatus with the remembrance rewards :drool: I'm going to try it out on Elden Beast, he deserves it after making me suffer 2 years ago when big bonk weapons where still doing puny damage compared to katanas.

Love the Rakshasa armor set effects by the way. I wished more armor pieces had unique effects.

I didn't get the Rakshasa arnor set because i feel squishy enough already. I dont want to go full glass canon.

Anyone know if this is the 1st and only Elden Ring dlc?

I kinda get why people are complaining about the difficulty. Rellana is fecking obscene. Insanely long combos with very little hit windows, and no real time for recovery. You basically have to do everything with absolute perfection, in a game with a combat system that doesn't warrant it (like Sekiro and Bloodborne did).

I kinda get why people are complaining about the difficulty. Rellana is fecking obscene. Insanely long combos with very little hit windows, and no real time for recovery. You basically have to do everything with absolute perfection, in a game with a combat system that doesn't warrant it (like Sekiro and Bloodborne did).
Yeah that sounds very Sekiro like

Maybe my wording was wrong, I’m saying Sekiro and Bloodborne do have really tight knit combat systems that warrant such complex fighting mechanics but Elden ring doesn’t really.

Elden ring was designed for varied builds but the dlc bosses really weren't. Anyway now that ive beaten the final dlc boss with an ultimate cheese build im not even sure i want to fight him again in ng+ or if i start a new character. I didn't think he was a great final boss like Gehrman or the final boss of the ds3 dlc. He's just broken and not enjoyable and summons are useless because they just double or triple his hp.