Gaming Elden Ring - Fromsoftware

I want to go in with a level 100 character but I feel like I'd be getting destroyed endlessly.

I went in with a lvl 120. Did alright but definitely needed a boost after the 1st bosses.

After spending 7 hours respeccing and gaining a few lvls i beat the scorpion lady i was stuck yesterday. Now to spend 2 weeks trying to beat Messemer.

Actually i was my mimic tear that killed her. I died and my tear managed a fatal blow before screen faded.

Ok guys, I wanna give this game another go.

First time around, I was the Samurai and beat the first big boss, but didn't get much further than that from what I remember.

What character is fun but also consistently useful to use (You can name Samurai again)

I don't want to use any magic.
Vagabond seems a good choice, but I'm not sure if I want to use a shield?
Is a shield a good choice, or does it help cheese enemies?

I don't want any daft looking weapons like clubs or whatever, so Axes and swords are what I'm interested in.
Stuff like flame swords, do I need any magika stuff for that?

Ok guys, I wanna give this game another go.

First time around, I was the Samurai and beat the first big boss, but didn't get much further than that from what I remember.

What character is fun but also consistently useful to use (You can name Samurai again)

I don't want to use any magic.

I don't want any daft looking weapons like clubs or whatever, so Axes and swords are what I'm interested in.
Stuff like flame swords, do I need any magika stuff for that?

Personally I started with Samurai the last time and 2 handed the Katana for most of the early game. It doesn't really matter as you quickly find new weapons/weapon arts to mess with anyway.

For me, dual wielded the boxing glove type weapons, whips and double handing the katanas are the most fun. For shields if I ever use them, I use the smaller ones for parrying couple with a dagger for crits. For magic, you can eventually infuse them when you change the weapon arts (ashes of war) to infuse with bleed/lightning/fire/etc...or you find greases you can use to temp buff them. There isn't really magicka, you have the blue FP bar which dictates mostly how much you can use your weapon art. For example, the starting samurai sword has a useful art where you assume a stance and can do a light low, or strong high attack if you hold the left trigger (in 2 handed mode) and either light/strong attack.

But all in all, the base game is pretty good for letting you choose your own style. Though if you don't go strength build, you should still put a few points in it here and there because some enemies (and pretty much the whole DLC) are very poise breaking dependent so carrying a big sword (preferably getting the Bloodhound blade early) for backup is wise.

Bare in mind that if you find a weapon/weapon combo you like, they can be made viable for most of the game so it's fine to experiment and main anything you like really.

Personally I started with Samurai the last time and 2 handed the Katana for most of the early game. It doesn't really matter as you quickly find new weapons/weapon arts to mess with anyway.

I remember unsheath.
So for Ash of War stuff, you do need to spec some in FP?

Ignore that question, I googled it

I remember unsheath.
So for Ash of War stuff, you do need to spec some in FP?

Ignore that question, I googled it

It's worth it a bit, but I wouldn't go too mad. I just keep one of the heals back for FP.

Some ashes obviously use loads, but I tend to go with the ones that don't really go too hard on it. Quickstep is my favourite and that uses barely any. Quickstep + 2handed katana is a great fun build btw.

Still haven’t got to the DLC but very excited. My NG+ character was early game so I just started a new game a few weeks ago and been slowly working through, doing stuff I never touched on my previous run.

It’s insane how huge the base game is alone, I never experienced the sewer dungeon under Lendell until yesterday.

The more I play it the more I think it’s my favourite game of all time, can’t wait for the DLC.

Didn't get to play much this weekend with family stuff going on, but came back to it yesterday afternoon. Beat Renalla - what a fantastic boss. Decided to do it with parries, which was a great decision, that's probably the best parry boss outside of Sekiro. Its basically a Malenia reskin, several timings are identical, but they've taken out the bull shit. The twin moons attack is such a cool dodge. Maybe my favourite boss in all of Elden Ring. The swords are pretty awesome too.

Shields are terrific in this game, guard counters are fantastic fun (where you let an enemy hit your shield then press R2 to do a special attack). The game won't let you cheese it with shields, since elemental damage still goes through shields & stamina usage matters stops you turtling. Using a katana + sword build and switching to a second sword in a dual stance when you want more damage will carry you right to the end of the game.

This dlc is burning out in the sense i knew they were going for harder is better. I never mastered the parry and all that. My reflexes and cognitive function isnt up for it. At the same time summons just give bosses double or triple hp anyway and its almost impossible to get a summon anyway since they are in such high demand.

Stuck at Messmer and prutescent knight. So im just running around exploring but don't feel im getting stronger. Don't really feel like grinding lvls since im already 160 where it takes 180000 souls to gain a lvl. And you can only respec so many times pr playthrough. I respecced to take down Romina only to find out my build is no good for Messmer.

This dlc is burning out in the sense i knew they were going for harder is better. I never mastered the parry and all that. My reflexes and cognitive function isnt up for it. At the same time summons just give bosses double or triple hp anyway and its almost impossible to get a summon anyway since they are in such high demand.

Stuck at Messmer and prutescent knight. So im just running around exploring but don't feel im getting stronger. Don't really feel like grinding lvls since im already 160 where it takes 180000 souls to gain a lvl. And you can only respec so many times pr playthrough. I respecced to take down Romina only to find out my build is no good for Messmer.

How many scadutree fragments do you have?

Did you use the npc hornsent summon in messmer arena? Took me a while to figure out he was there, which helped a lot to distract his attention. But yeah its a difficult one. I'm myself stuck at one of the later bosses.

Did you use the npc hornsent summon in messmer arena? Took me a while to figure out he was there, which helped a lot to distract his attention. But yeah its a difficult one. I'm myself stuck at one of the later bosses.

Decided just to use mimic tear so not to increase boss hp. I might have killed hornset though.

You must be doing pretty well to beat Rellana- i can not believe how many times i have had her down to literally one more attack and she'd be dead but then she just always gets the final blow in :mad: .

The difficulty spike has only really been for bosses I feel. maybe i'll see the worst of it later.

After a weekend of playing I've beaten the Lion and Rellana, and gotten myself hopelessly lost about 50x.

Re: difficulty, I've been solo'ing the bosses but I highly doubt I'll continue that through the rest of the DLC. Rellana in particular was lots of fun, but there's just too little time for healing or attacks now. You have to be perfect to the millisecond, and that's not very enjoyable. Every late game ER boss plus every DLC boss I've faced thus far would be better if their movements were 10% slower and they did 10-20% less damage. As discussed before, my view on this is FromSoft trying to maintain a difficulty challenge for the most hardcore masochists.

That being said, everything is piss easy if you use Mimic Tear. I think by the end of the game I'll use spirit ashes that aren't Mimic Tear, which seems like a reasonable difficulty midpoint.

Such a shame for me. I bought this game on release for PS4, thought it was one of the best gaming experiences I had for the first 5 hours, then hours 5-15 I was getting incredibly frustrated at the difficulty of the game, and then around the 15h mark, I quit. It was just too hard for me. Not just the bosses, the overall gameplay as well. Thinking about giving it another shot on PS5, but feel like the exact same will happen

You must be doing pretty well to beat Rellana- i can not believe how many times i have had her down to literally one more attack and she'd be dead but then she just always gets the final blow in :mad: .

The difficulty spike has only really been for bosses I feel. maybe i'll see the worst of it later.

A summon carried me through that fight. Have been playing all day. Was hoping to defeat Messmer and Prutescent knight but have died like 50 times to Messmer and 25 times to Prutescent knight.

Usually after trying my best im fine with being carried but its impossible to get summons and when i do i or the summon Usually get instakilled. They can all 1 and 2 shot you and already have massive healthbars without summons.

I feel like Fromsoft tendency to make their games harder and harder doesn't translate to more enjoyable.

A summon carried me through that fight. Have been playing all day. Was hoping to defeat Messmer and Prutescent knight but have died like 50 times to Messmer and 25 times to Prutescent knight.

Usually after trying my best im fine with being carried but its impossible to get summons and when i do i or the summon Usually get instakilled. They can all 1 and 2 shot you and already have massive healthbars without summons.

I feel like Fromsoft tendency to make their games harder and harder doesn't translate to more enjoyable.
I've died the same number of times to Rellana- just can't land the final blow when she goes into psycho mode, my main strategy is the Dragon Rot/Taker's Flame cheese and it's so nearly worked on at least seven occasions.

I've died the same number of times to Rellana- just can't land the final blow when she goes into psycho mode, my main strategy is the Dragon Rot/Taker's Flame cheese and it's so nearly worked on at least seven occasions.

I was using Taker's Flame for a bit but honestly found the fight easier after switching to my trusty claymore and giving it the Sacred Blade ash of war. You can get off the skill a bit faster. She's also very easy to stagger with guard counters. I'd say guard counters with a fully upgraded fingerprint shield is the more effective cheese.

Still took me hours mind.

I was using Taker's Flame for a bit but honestly found the fight easier after switching to my trusty claymore and giving it the Sacred Blade ash of war. You can get off the skill a bit faster. She's also very easy to stagger with guard counters. I'd say guard counters with a fully upgraded fingerprint shield is the more effective cheese.

Still took me hours mind.
I gave up for the time being, she's just irritating.

Found a really beautiful place on the map that weirdly reminded me of MGS 3's final area. I did the obligatory 'Boss, Snake' reference and got two free heals out of it.

Anyone know if the item duplication glitch has been patched. Ive come to the realisation that i probably need to be at least lvl 200 to stand a chance with my skill lvl and dont want to spend days farming xp.

Anyone know if the item duplication glitch has been patched. Ive come to the realisation that i probably need to be at least lvl 200 to stand a chance with my skill lvl and dont want to spend days farming xp.

I didnt see anything saying it was patched out so afaik it still works. Not sure though as i havent tried it out before as you need at least one friend to do it

I didnt see anything saying it was patched out so afaik it still works. Not sure though as i havent tried it out before as you need at least one friend to do it

I dont have any gamer friends and the main elden ring Discord friends forbids talking about it.

So i beat Messmer. I used a guide to find as many scadutree fragments as possible in the areas that were open. Got him 3rd try. Running a sorcery build and dont really the its suited for bossss that get straight in your face.

Got to the final area (I think) and realised I hadn't explored over half the map, particularly all of the east. So have left the area and gone searching.

Beeeh, I'm just so annoyed I clicked my character through to New game+ when I stopped playing last time. It's also my only character, so now I have to do a lot of work to get to the dlc.

Got to Messmer last night and probably spent about an hour or more beating him. Level 163 and level 8 blessing. Didn't use an ash spirit. Given that most attempts ended in a minute, that's probably 50+ attempts at least. So definitely hard. However it wasn't that hard, I would say I found it comparable to Maliketh or Godfrey but nowhere near as tough as Malenia. Basically like Malenia minus Waterfowl Dance. Honestly I thought it was a fair fight. I discovered a fair few moves you could parry, but its so hard to see his moves though the fire that parrying was hit and miss. I'll wait to see the inevitable Ongbal parry video before deciding whether to try it with my next character.

One thing I did notice in this game is that there's a lot more frame trapping in the DLC than the base game (where you get knocked down, and the instant you get control of your character, another attack hits you). That's always irritating. Not sure if its by accident or design.

Last edited:
Enjoying the dlc, taking it slow. Probably gonna have to change build. Currently trying to power stance two bloodhound fangs and I'm doing decent damage but also not really tanking hits. Good fun so far.

Any of you guys see that one guy on twitch take 60 hours and 600 deaths on the last boss?

The expansion is fun and I‘m taking it slow. I entered the Shadow Realm at Level 123 in a normal NG character and it seems to be a fairly good level to enter into. I was worried I was going to be overleveled.

Those spider-scorpion things at the entrance of Belurat reminded me of that gross Mensis spider lair in Bloodborne.

They apparently did a slight balance patch today that buffs the first couple scadutree blessing levels, ie players should be a bit more powerful early on.

I’m still melting bosses with my classic river of blood and mimic combo.

I beat Rellana on my second attempt, probably need to switch things up tbh.

I’m still melting bosses with my classic river of blood and mimic combo.

I beat Rellana on my second attempt, probably need to switch things up tbh.

You are using the two most powerful things in the game, it's no surprise :lol:

I'm stupid enough to really have the urge to start a new build and finally mess with magic. But not the OP shite, find the weirdest stuff and try to make it work. Probably a huge mistake!

You are using the two most powerful things in the game, it's no surprise :lol:

I'm stupid enough to really have the urge to start a new build and finally mess with magic. But not the OP shite, find the weirdest stuff and try to make it work. Probably a huge mistake!

Seems like nearly every boss in the game has a weakness to bleed. Seems almost intentional. Not running that though in this run but probably will in ng+ since im back to sorcerer. Want to try a build based on dlc weapons and spells.

Ive never made a build based on the design from a website, i just scramble things together. About time i tried something else.

Only final dlc boss left apart from a few optional ones.

Seems like nearly every boss in the game has a weakness to bleed. Seems almost intentional. Not running that though in this run but probably will in ng+ since im back to sorcerer. Want to try a build based on dlc weapons and spells.

Yeah, bleed is always ridiculous in these games. Frost isn't a bad way to go for something similar but lighter.

I'm just roleplaying as a mage right now, going to try all the invisible spells and that kind of mostly pointless stuff. Got bored of the melee play as it's really not that difficult no matter the build. Especially not now they are listening to twitter and nerfing the game even more :lol:

These games are so good. I'm doing alright in the DLC, took down the first few bosses, then get into a random small room in a dungeon with 2 enemies and getting absolutely roasted.

Love it.