Donkai Havertz | Arsenal Watch

I think that’s a poor signing at that price for arsenal. Arteta intent on trying to copy Pep though, so another number 10 to go with Odegaard was always going to happen.

Still think Arteta is more akin to Ole than his former colleague though.

Edu's pulled a Boehly here. Even if Havertz winds up being a Messi/Van Basten hybrid at Arsenal, I've got to think that Chelsea would have accepted substantially less for him.

Baffling. Genuinely have no idea which position he is strengthening? Ødegaard, Saka, Martinelli and Jesus are all better. For 65m you'd think they'd want someone obviously better than Jesus (who by no means is a top player himself).

Wow, that’s a great deal for Chelsea - such an underwhelming player

I can't figure this one out

where will they play him? The front-three/10 positions are set

Wow, that’s a great deal for Chelsea - such an underwhelming player

Cant say I see it either. I thought 45 mil was fair but what do I know. We are paying a lot more for him than Odegaard. Hope it works out whatever they have planned. I don't think he is a bad player, I just cannot see 65 mil and I am not sure how Chelsea even got to ask for this. His value should have dropped from his Leverkusen days.

I don't know where that puts our chase for Rice's signing. Maybe West Ham thinks we are suddenly full of unlimited coffers or they get skittish and think we do not have much left after this one.

I can't figure this one out

where will they play him? The front-three/10 positions are set

Most likely Xhaka’s position, so I’d imagine they’re trying to line up with Rice as the DM with Havertz and Odegaard either side of him as the two 8s.

Seems a bit lightweight for my liking but if Zinchenko comes inside and then White (or Timber) rotates across to form a back 3 when they’re in possession, it could in theory work really nicely for them.

Think I'll go against the grain here, he'll do well for them as he is talented and versatile. Will be a good fit for their fluid system. The Mudryk deal was much more baffling.

Most likely Xhaka’s position, so I’d imagine they’re trying to line up with Rice as the DM with Havertz and Odegaard either side of him as the two 8s.

Seems a bit lightweight for my liking but if Zinchenko comes inside and then White (or Timber) rotates across to form a back 3 when they’re in possession, it could in theory work really nicely for them.

kinda the same as ETH wanting Mount for the 8 role then

can't see it myself

I will quote if " Donkai Havertz " ref to the obvious, sold for 60m what does that say about some of our players. To think if someone offered 50m to take Sancho of our hands we might re name it Sancho day and hold parties.

He isn't a striker or a winger. Arsenal doesn't play with a support striker or false 9.
Won't he take up the space of Odegaard if both are playing? Has he ever played deeper in midfield ? Too many questions.

I'm genuinely interested to see how this is going to play out

He played as an 8 once early on in Lampard’s first spell, made an error leading to a goal and never played there again. According to the Bundesliga watchers on here he played often as an 8 there too.

Defiantly an interesting one considering how badly Arteta seemingly wants him.

I think it's a very good signing actually - he's like João Felix in that he hasn't found the right fit, but he has a lot of natural talent and in the right team will gel. Arsenal need rotation options to match City's depth, this will provide it and he can cover a lot of positions. Especially since Saka is so overplayed. Pricey but a fair deal for both parties.

I will say though - Chelsea are selling pretty much everyone from their CL winning team. A lot of the players they've signed to replace them are worse.

Arteta will get more out him than any Chelsea manager has so far. If nothing else he adds decent squad depth, but he could well be more than that for them. They're style of play will suit him (as it would most players).

No problem with the signing, but I can't understand the fee. Would Chelsea really have rejected even 30m or so? Bizarre.

I will say though - Chelsea are selling pretty much everyone from their CL winning team. A lot of the players they've signed to replace them are worse.
That's certainly not the case with Havertz and i say that as someone who doesn't think he was as bad as made out.

I think it'll be a great signing. Gut feeling is he's got more in the locker than he's showed for Chelsea.

He can probably revive his career at Arsenal but it's an overpay, on a "maybe he will get better".

I think one day someone's going to realise he's actually a number 8. He's got all the attributes for it

Can someone explain to me why we would be signing Havertz? I don't understand. Where will he play for us?

He has not impressed as a CF and is nowhere near the level of Odegaard. He's essentially a backup for both.

He looked like a supreme talent when we was coming through in Germany, but had been completely underwhelming in England to date.

Am I missing something here? I think Edu and Arteta have earned some patience with transfers after their recent success, but I just don't see it with Havertz.

And this money will help allow Chelsea to buy a target I had really hoped we would sign, Caceido - who has impressed me every time I've watched him, and would be my number one target. Especially if Partey is leaving.

Can someone explain to me why we would be signing Havertz? I don't understand. Where will he play for us?

He has not impressed as a CF and is nowhere near the level of Odegaard. He's essentially a backup for both.

He looked like a supreme talent when we was coming through in Germany, but had been completely underwhelming in England to date.

Am I missing something here? I think Edu and Arteta have earned some patience with transfers after their recent success, but I just don't see it with Havertz.

And this money will help allow Chelsea to buy a target I had really hoped we would sign, Caceido - who has impressed me every time I've watched him, and would be my number one target. Especially if Partey is leaving.
#8 as Xhaka replacement. In Edu/Arteta's mind he is probably a goal scoring attacking midfielder who can link up with his teammates.

#8 as Xhaka replacement. In Edu/Arteta's mind he is probably a goal scoring attacking midfielder who can link up with his teammates.

Can he do the defensive stuff playing in the midfield? We already have Odegaard as a playmaker and scorer from midfield. I understand he would cover for him at times, but I feel that he's not well rounded enough to play deeper in the midfield.

I can't see him there at all at the moment but I think you are right in that is what is being planned. He seems the type of player that does a lot of things reasonably well without excelling at anything.

The guy could actually have a boost leaving Chelsea. He was clueless there. Not sure what Arsenal are gaining though.

Exceptional signing. He’s going to be a huge success. Immense talent.

He’s going to be a round leg in a bunch of round holes at Arsenal if he steps into the team and replaces Jesus, Odegard or Xhaka. Plus he can play wide too.

It's like the world is conspiring to help Chelsea out. What the Feck are Arsenal playing at with this? Gooners must be furious. We'll be next paying over the odds for Mount...

He's been talked as being the next Bergkamp. Certainly has the ability to be something similar, could be a really good addition.

To take on the cheating bastards you need a lot of quality squad depth.

What a beautiful day, Never rated this donkey. One of the worst attackers i have ever seen at Chelsea.
He will flop at Arsenal too because he just isn't very good, plays the same for Germany.
As i always say, he plays the same way in every position he plays in.
Ambiguous valent about this transfer but you guys are pathetic....

Last edited:
In my opinion he can be a box to box midfielder. Maybe that's the idea. It only doesn't make sense it you see him purely as a forward or attacking midfielder because there he's just competition not a big upgrade. But top managers can have big ideas that are outside the box.

I mean, why not? He's not ruthless as a forward. Probably never will be at 24. But look at his work rate, pressing, long stride to get between the boxes. Can bag a goal, good technique. There have been way weirder transitions.

Ambiguous about this transfer but you guys are pathetic....

Really scraping the barrel with some of those stats. Most flick ons? Most lay offs? :lol:

Even the most goals is only 9.